Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Brittney Griner held by the Russians

For what it's worth, I think everyone who advocates for Griner's release would happily advocate for the release of anyone found with weed meant for consumption.

This is ridiculous and inhumane, no matter what she has said or done. A real statesman that knows how to pick his battles would have her home by now.  

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

This is ridiculous and inhumane, no matter what she has said or done. A real statesman that knows how to pick his battles would have her home by now.  

joe biden :mellow:

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Why?  She knowingly broke a law and is being punished per the law she broke.  Don't go to another country and knowingly break their laws and this won't happen.  Other WNBA players got home without being arrested.  This is on her.  I wish we'd enforce the laws immigrants break here.  We'd be a better country for it.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Strike said:

Why?  She knowingly broke a law and is being punished per the law she broke.  Don't go to another country and knowingly break their laws and this won't happen.  Other WNBA players got home without being arrested.  This is on her.  I wish we'd enforce the laws immigrants break here.  We'd be a better country for it.

9 years? Come on. She has more than paid for this trivial crime at this point. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

9 years? Come on. She has more than paid for this trivial crime at this point. 

Apparently what we consider trivial the Russians consider quite serious.  A "trivial' crime here will get you life in Iran.  Different cultures.   A friend of mine got arrested in India for having a single bullet in his shaving kit.  Turns out it had been there for years.  He was a hunter and, while cleaning his gun he had put all the bullets in his shaving kit and accidentally not removed one.  He'd flown domestically for years and it never gotten caught but in India, a country at war, they found it.  He spent several nights in jail and then 6 months and a large legal bill cleaning up that mess.  For a "trivial" crime to you and me. 

:dunno:

Just now, Strike said:

Apparently what we consider trivial the Russians consider quite serious.  A "trivial' crime here will get you life in Iran.  Different cultures.   A friend of mine got arrested in India for having a single bullet in his shaving kit.  Turns out it had been there for years.  He was a hunter and, while cleaning his gun he had put all the bullets in his shaving kit and accidentally not removed one.  He'd flown domestically for years and it never gotten caught but in India, a country at war, they found it.  He spent several nights in jail and then 6 months and a large legal bill cleaning up that mess.  For a "trivial" crime to you and me. 

:dunno:

That’s ridiculous as well. Do you think the Russian prisons are full of Russians that did the same thing as her? For 9 years? I don’t know, but I doubt it. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

That’s ridiculous as well. Do you think the Russian prisons are full of Russians that did the same thing as her? For 9 years? I don’t know, but I doubt it. 

I don't consider it to be ridiculous when she KNOWINGLY broke their law.  In the case of my buddy it was 100% accidental. And it turns out the cops in India are extremely corrupt and tried to just get him to slip them some cash the first night to forget the whole thing but he wasn't about to get a bribery charged added on to a gun charge at that point.  He didn't find out til later he could have just made the whole thing go away that easily and it's not abnormal to do so.  But Griner knowingly broke the law.  That's on her.

6 minutes ago, Strike said:

I don't consider it to be ridiculous when she KNOWINGLY broke their law.  In the case of my buddy it was 100% accidental. And it turns out the cops in India are extremely corrupt and tried to just get him to slip them some cash the first night to forget the whole thing but he wasn't about to get a bribery charged added on to a gun charge at that point.  He didn't find out til later he could have just made the whole thing go away that easily and it's not abnormal to do so.  But Griner knowingly broke the law.  That's on her.

You don’t think this is political? You think it’s about even handed justice? 

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

I don't consider it to be ridiculous when she KNOWINGLY broke their law.

So, no sentence would be "ridiculous" because she knowingly broke the law?  30 years?  Life?  Execution?   At what point would it be "ridiculous" to you?

I'm no fan of the worthless Griner. Hope she rots in a Russian gulag.  But to say her 9 year sentence wasn't ridiculous... is ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

So, no sentence would be "ridiculous" because she knowingly broke the law?  30 years?  Life?  Execution?   At what point would it be "ridiculous" to you?

I'm no fan of the worthless Griner. Hope she rots in a Russian gulag.  But to say her 9 year sentence wasn't ridiculous... is ridiculous.

It's a different country. We know who they are. We know what they are about.

You planning any travel to Russia, Syria, Iran, Afghanistan,  anywhere in Africa? Not me.

3 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Well they can't impose a sentence that wasn't codified in to law at the time she broke that law.  But she is subject to the punishments codified at the time she broke the law.  Why do some of you not want to respect the laws of other countries?  Sure, by our standards it's ridiculous, but by theirs it may not be.  That's one of the reasons this mass immigration Biden and other administrations have allowed to happen is bad.  You're bringing in mass quantities of people who grew up in a different culture and different standards.  It's one thing when you bring in relatively small numbers because they assimilate.  But bringing entire communities of people from other countries is bad.  But that's off topic.  Each country has it's own standards and when you're visiting one it's up to you to adapt to their standards, not the other way around.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You don’t think this is political?

That goes without saying.  According to Google, Russians caught with with less than 6 grams typically get a small fine and 15 days in jail.

The skank got 9 years for less than one (1) gram.

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

Sure, by our standards it's ridiculous, but by theirs it may not be. 

Even by Russian standards, 9 years is completely ridiculous. 

4 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

That goes without saying.  According to Google, Russians caught with with less than 6 grams typically get a small fine and 15 days in jail.

She's not Russian.  I have no issue with a country taking a harder line stance with foreigners than their own citizens. 

Dammit.  I'm trying my best to come up with a Yakoff Smirnoff "In Soviet Russia..." joke but I'm coming up empty. :mad:

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

She's not Russian.  I have no issue with a country taking a harder line stance with foreigners than their own citizens. 

A harder line?  15 days in jail -vs- 9 years in prison?

ok dude. I think we're done here.

1 minute ago, GobbleDog said:

A harder line?  15 days in jail -vs- 9 years in prison?

ok dude. I think we're done here.

We are.  One of us respects the laws of other countries, even countries he may despise otherwise, while you choose not to. 

21 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

I wonder, I do not know, but I wonder, at the comparable.  Citizens caught in possession would be charged with possession.  Foreigners caught bringing drugs in might be charged with smuggling.  Could that represent the sentencing disparity?  I freely admit I have not followed the story and do not know what she was charged with.

It's like this time we decided to Jihad the Fish Forum.  I knew the consequences of violating their Terms of Service but chose to anyways.  I did not complain at the punishment they imposed on my account for doing so.  I didn't complain that Mike is more lenient on posting etiquette.  Their standards are different than Mikes.  I took my punishment like  the man I am. 

42 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You don’t think this is political? You think it’s about even handed justice? 

40 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

https://theconversation.com/brittney-griners-sentence-is-in-line-with-russias-strict-drug-penalties-but-how-long-she-serves-will-be-decided-outside-the-courtroom-188271#:~:text=Indeed%2C the crime Griner was,spectrum seems to be common.

Indeed, the crime Griner was prosecuted of – smuggling narcotics in “significant amount” in violation of Article 229¹(2)(c) of the Russian criminal code – carries a minimum sentence of five to 10 years “deprivation of freedom” along with the fine, and the upper end of the spectrum seems to be common. The prosecutor in Griner’s case asked for 9 ½ years and, presumably, the maximum fine. He got most of what he wanted.

The backdrop of the case – worsening ties between Moscow and the Washington – may lead some observers to wonder if Griner was handed an unduly harsh sentence to up her worth as a bargaining chip during discussions over a potential prisoner swap. U.S. President Joe Biden responded to the announcement of Griner’s sentence by denouncing the verdict and sentence as “unacceptable.”

But as longtime scholar of Russian law, I can say the sentence announced in the Khimki District Court outside Moscow on Aug. 4, 2022, is more or less in line with what was expected. Moreover, I believe the sentence itself does little to change the equation when it comes to any quid pro quo with Russia regarding the potential exchange of detained nationals – any negotiation over her fate will now take place outside the courtroom.

But Griner’s currency as a pawn in U.S.-Russian relations, with Moscow seemingly willing to barter over the future of the high-profile prisoner, will likely change little as a result of her sentence. To many in the U.S., nine years’ imprisonment may seem like a harsh penalty for cannabis possession. But in Russia, it is par for the course for this crime.

Do I think 9 years is insane?  Yes, but this isn't unique.  She's getting what others have gotten.  She's being treated like everyone else who's been found guilty of this.  Also, isn't there another American over there right now who was found guilty of the charge, and has been there for like 2 or 3 years?

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Strike said:

I wonder, does she still hate the USA?  🤔

1 minute ago, RLLD said:

I don't think they play the US anthem in Russia so it's hard to tell.

4 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I think she just hates straight white conservative men.  Other (straight), men, to a lesser extent.

16 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think she just hates straight white conservative men.  Other (straight), men, to a lesser extent.

She's an idiot that goes with the current trend of blacks hating America and all of its past and not appreciating anything she had been given from this country.

It sucks for her she's going through this but hopefully it sets a good example of what we have here. 

4 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Joe and "team" blew that play early when they ANNOUNCED what they were trying to do to free her.  Even the Russians said these things are not discussed publicly.  But the need to virtue signal was SO GREAT that they just had to publicize their intentions.....tossing away decades of these deals being made in the past.  It was a total blunder, all in the sake of saving a black lesbian and virtue signaling it out there.   

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

https://theconversation.com/brittney-griners-sentence-is-in-line-with-russias-strict-drug-penalties-but-how-long-she-serves-will-be-decided-outside-the-courtroom-188271#:~:text=Indeed%2C the crime Griner was,spectrum seems to be common.

Do I think 9 years is insane?  Yes, but this isn't unique.  She's getting what others have gotten.  She's being treated like everyone else who's been found guilty of this.  Also, isn't there another American over there right now who was found guilty of the charge, and has been there for like 2 or 3 years?

That quoted op-ed says griner got convicted of smuggling drugs in a significant amount.  Is it common to consider a vape pen, a significant amount?

10 minutes ago, nobody said:

That quoted op-ed says griner got convicted of smuggling drugs in a significant amount.  Is it common to consider a vape pen, a significant amount?

Our definition of "significant amount" and theirs is apparently 2 different things.  Like I said, I think 9 years is ridiculous, but Russia's judicial system is operating in a consistent manner.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Our definition of "significant amount" and theirs is apparently 2 different things.  Like I said, I think 9 years is ridiculous, but Russia's judicial system is operating in a consistent manner.

Is it though?  Doesn't seem like it.  I mean if a vape pen is a significant amount, what would be considered an insignificant amount?

2 minutes ago, nobody said:

Is it though?  Doesn't seem like it.  I mean if a vape pen is a significant amount, what would be considered an insignificant amount?

She had more than a vape pen by her own admission.

3 minutes ago, nobody said:

Doesn't seem like it to me either, but to Russia, it apparently is.  The guy that they've had there for about 2 or 3 years already (can't remember his name), had a similar amount if I recall.  I mean, no one remembers who he is, right?  Well, isn't that proof enough that Russia is consistent and they don't care who that person is?

Being sufficiently aware that the movement of narcotic drugs is not allowed… no later than February 17, 2022 at an unspecified location under unspecified circumstances from an unidentified person [Ms Griner] bought two cartridges for personal use, which contained 0.252 grams and 0.45 grams of hash oil, totaling 0.702 grams,” the prosecutor said during the trial, TASS reported.

So two vape pens.  Why even bother designating "significant" amount in the law if .7 grams is considered significant?  Seems like BS to me.

43 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Joe and "team" blew that play early when they ANNOUNCED what they were trying to do to free her.  Even the Russians said these things are not discussed publicly.  But the need to virtue signal was SO GREAT that they just had to publicize their intentions.....tossing away decades of these deals being made in the past.  It was a total blunder, all in the sake of saving a black lesbian and virtue signaling it out there.   

They didn't blow it, they did exactly what they wanted to do.  By virtue signaling / pandering, they've officially made Russia the ONLY bad guy here, even though we know Griner broke their law.  If they can't get her back, and I don't know if they should even try, then Putin (Russia), is in the wrong, according to their base and Biden/Harris are the hero's for trying.  If they do get her back, then they won't care the cost, because Biden and Harris are the savior's.

The most amazing part of this whole thing, they were flocking around and are finding out, with Griner's life with no risk to them.  In Griner's mind, the fact that the WH said they're going to try and get her back, makes them the winner.  She doesn't realize they screwed her.  If they manage to get her back in say 2 years (obviously it'll be about 2 weeks before the 2024 election so that they can parade her around like the prostitute they made her out to be), then she'll be indebted to them forever... even though if they had kept their mouths shut, she very well might be home right now!

I do find it odd that they’ve been saying since day one it’s a ten year sentence, she plead guilty, and she appealed?  

8 minutes ago, Mungwater said:

I do find it odd that they’ve been saying since day one it’s a ten year sentence, she plead guilty, and she appealed?  

You're not supposed to say the quiet part out loud dude.

I've lost twice as much sleep as she would have if I was in a Russian jail.