Gepetto

***Official*** 2022 NBA Playoffs thread

1 minute ago, MDC said:

You may not care but I’m going to tell you anyway. 👍🏻 

The Process has been over since Hinkie got forced out in 2016. He left behind a star player in Embiid and an embarrassment of riches that his successors totally squandered. That’s not an indictment of the Process, it’s an indictment of the total mismanagement since then.

The Sixers aren’t in a great spot but Brooklyn is locked into max contracts for Kyrie and Simmons for the rest of KD’s career. 

Good luck with that. 🤡 

yeah I heard that song already. The process of years of tanking began in 2013. Was Binkie not around for the Okafor pick? Thought he was. Was he gone for the Simmons pick in 2016? I thought he was but am not sure. Regardless, Sixers fans were singing the praises of Embiid + Simmons and don't pretend they were not. 

As for the Nets / Sixers comparison, its still laughable to me that the Nets never tanked (just made one bad trade) and through great moves since have wound up in the same situation despite all your proclamations (and Sixers nation). Always fun to let your fan base know you're losing on purpose and not get the results.

Moving forward the Nets are likely in a better spot for a few reasons.

1. KD and Kyrie are still playing at an elite level while Harden is rapidly declining. No one is taking Harden over those 2

2. For as odd as KD can be, and as diva as Kyrie can be, Harden is a far worse headache. He has a player option for 47 million so you're stuck with him for one more year.

3. One of the reasons I liked the trade for the Nets was getting Curry to help replace Joe Harris... well, Harris will be back and for friendly money.

4. I've never been a Simmons fan but at least in Brooklyn he can let 2 alpha scorers do their thing and focus more on his strengths... defense, rebounding and distributing. I don't expect him to improve his shooting like Jason Kidd did with the Nets back in the day when the scoring burden was off and he was more relaxed. I don't think Simmons has that mentality... but thats okay. Nets don't need a third elite scorer. There will be enough shooters around KD/Kyrie.

just my 2 cents. Im not as passionate about the NBA as I was a few years ago. As i've said before I lost a lot of love for it during the bubble and have not been able to get back into it as much. 

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

yeah I heard that song already. The process of years of tanking began in 2013. Was Binkie not around for the Okafor pick? Thought he was. Was he gone for the Simmons pick in 2016? I thought he was but am not sure. Regardless, Sixers fans were singing the praises of Embiid + Simmons and don't pretend they were not. 

As for the Nets / Sixers comparison, its still laughable to me that the Nets never tanked (just made one bad trade) and through great moves since have wound up in the same situation despite all your proclamations (and Sixers nation). Always fun to let your fan base know you're losing on purpose and not get the results.

Moving forward the Nets are likely in a better spot for a few reasons.

1. KD and Kyrie are still playing at an elite level while Harden is rapidly declining. No one is taking Harden over those 2

2. For as odd as KD can be, and as diva as Kyrie can be, Harden is a far worse headache. He has a player option for 47 million so you're stuck with him for one more year.

3. One of the reasons I liked the trade for the Nets was getting Curry to help replace Joe Harris... well, Harris will be back and for friendly money.

4. I've never been a Simmons fan but at least in Brooklyn he can let 2 alpha scorers do their thing and focus more on his strengths... defense, rebounding and distributing. I don't expect him to improve his shooting like Jason Kidd did with the Nets back in the day when the scoring burden was off and he was more relaxed. I don't think Simmons has that mentality... but thats okay. Nets don't need a third elite scorer. There will be enough shooters around KD/Kyrie.

just my 2 cents. Im not as passionate about the NBA as I was a few years ago. As i've said before I lost a lot of love for it during the bubble and have not been able to get back into it as much. 

The Process lasted from around 2013-2016/17. That’s 3-4 years half a decade ago. Philly has been around a 50-win team for 5 years running. If that’s their ceiling it isn’t Hinkie’s fault.

The Nets are just totally dysfunctional. Maybe KD ages like fine wine, Kyrie becomes sane and Ben decides he wants to play basketball again? That’s not a bet I’d make but you do you. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, MDC said:

The Process lasted from around 2013-2016/17. That’s 3-4 years half a decade ago. Philly has been around a 50-win team for 5 years running. If that’s their ceiling it isn’t Hinkie’s fault.

The Nets are just totally dysfunctional. Maybe KD ages like fine wine, Kyrie becomes sane and Ben decides he wants to play basketball again? That’s not a bet I’d make but you do you. 

I know you’re not the best at debates but I literally just said it began in 2013 and asked if Hinkie was there for the Okafor and Simmons picks…. Giving the same exact time line 😂. 4 years of shameless tanking is still 4 years of shameless tanking ? Is it not? 

Id much sooner bet on KD having more good years and Kyrie being “sane” enough for the Nets to make a run than I would on Harden playing at a high level and not causing yet more internal issues… which we are already seeing in Philly. 

Memphis was down by 11 after that Morant dunk at the end of the 3rd quarter.  End of the 4th, Morant hit a 3 to take a 1 point lead with 1:03 left in the game, then made 2 free throws to take a 3 point lead with 8 seconds left.  Anthony Edwards on a well designed inbounds play hit a 3 to tie it with 3 seconds left.  Morant hit an acrobatic layup with 1 second left to win it.  Great game!

Yeah.  I caught the very end right before Edward's three.  Good lord.  What an ending.  The NBA is in good hands with some of this young talent.

• Like 1

Here's a slow motion video of that Morant dunk from a different angle and a still photo: 

3 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

I know you’re not the best at debates but I literally just said it began in 2013 and asked if Hinkie was there for the Okafor and Simmons picks…. Giving the same exact time line 😂. 4 years of shameless tanking is still 4 years of shameless tanking ? Is it not? 

Id much sooner bet on KD having more good years and Kyrie being “sane” enough for the Nets to make a run than I would on Harden playing at a high level and not causing yet more internal issues… which we are already seeing in Philly. 

I think KDs achilles is going to put a serious dent in those good years. You cannot put 1 ounce of faith in Simmons. 

8 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

I only mention the timeline because you’ve said repeatedly the Sixers tanked for 7-8 years.

Maybe the problem is that can’t count? :D 

Harden isn’t causing internal issues. The problem is that he’s in decline. On the other hand, at least he doesn’t have mental back issues that make him scared to play basketball?

1 hour ago, MDC said:

I only mention the timeline because you’ve said repeatedly the Sixers tanked for 7-8 years

I mentioned the timeline in this very thread in a post you quoted 🤷🏻‍♂️, asking about Okafor and Simmons drafts and unsurprisingly not getting an answer to that question.  Made no mention of 7-8 years in this thread.  If I’ve said several years in other threads, I hope you’re aware that several years is a generic term for a period time. 

Harden has caused internal issues everywhere he’s been for various reasons. If it’s his declining play this time, you don’t think that’s going to cause some friction in the locker room?

im not touting Ben Simmons 🙄. I mentioned some qualities he can bring to the table but flat out said I’ve never been a fan. Why are you deflecting to pick on Simmons?…. Who a few short years ago you were adamant was part of a championship tandem 😂 

10 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Memphis was down by 11 after that Morant dunk at the end of the 3rd quarter.  End of the 4th, Morant hit a 3 to take a 1 point lead with 1:03 left in the game, then made 2 free throws to take a 3 point lead with 8 seconds left.  Anthony Edwards on a well designed inbounds play hit a 3 to tie it with 3 seconds left.  Morant hit an acrobatic layup with 1 second left to win it.  Great game!

Ja is certainly fun to watch 

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

I mentioned the timeline in this very thread in a post you quoted 🤷🏻‍♂️, asking about Okafor and Simmons drafts and unsurprisingly not getting an answer to that question.  Made no mention of 7-8 years in this thread.  If I’ve said several years in other threads, I hope you’re aware that several years is a generic term for a period time. 

Harden has caused internal issues everywhere he’s been for various reasons. If it’s his declining play this time, you don’t think that’s going to cause some friction in the locker room?

im not touting Ben Simmons 🙄. I mentioned some qualities he can bring to the table but flat out said I’ve never been a fan. Why are you deflecting to pick on Simmons?…. Who a few short years ago you were adamant was part of a championship tandem 😂 

You’ve repeatedly said the Sixers tanked for 7-8 years or that the Process has got me on for a decade etc. I just thought you should know it was 4 years and happened half a decade ago. Hopefully you’ll get it right now.

Harden’s contract is up after next season. If he doesn’t work out, the Sixers can let him walk. Brooklyn is on the hook for Ben’s max contract for years. Kyrie and Ben may waste the rest of KD’s career.

I thought Ben was great back before he decided not to play basketball anymore. Now he’s a Net. 😂 

33 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Ja is certainly fun to watch 

Too small. 

Suns are trying to slog through NO; I'm hella impressed with the Pelicans.  Ingram is a load, McCollum is a good streaky shooter, and Valanciunas is a crafty vet.  Suns should get it done, but I was hoping for a cake walk this first round.  :unsure:

I’m impressed with this White Wonder fella, talking mad sh1t right after his team suffered a humiliating sweep. That takes balls :first:

3 hours ago, MDC said:

You’ve repeatedly said the Sixers tanked for 7-8 years or that the Process has got me on for a decade etc. I just thought you should know it was 4 years and happened half a decade ago. Hopefully you’ll get it right now.

Harden’s contract is up after next season. If he doesn’t work out, the Sixers can let him walk. Brooklyn is on the hook for Ben’s max contract for years. Kyrie and Ben may waste the rest of KD’s career.

I thought Ben was great back before he decided not to play basketball anymore. Now he’s a Net. 😂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

I’m impressed with this White Wonder fella, talking mad sh1t right after his team suffered a humiliating sweep. That takes balls :first:

I owned it in my first post. Didn’t expect them to win although didn’t think it would be a sweep. Boston is good. 

and this is the least I’ve followed the Nets or NBA in a long time. I still consider them my team but they don’t have my fandom like the Jets or Rays do.  (I was always a Garnett fan first, Nets fan second when he was in the league)

On 4/26/2022 at 1:51 PM, Reality said:

It's a really really really really good thing Embiid worked out. Almost every other aspect of 'the process' was a complete failure.

It's been 8 years now though, considering his injury history and size, that window will have a very short shelf life. Hopefully the peak for Embiid won't be the second round exits, that would be a disappointing career.

Another year down. 

Can't believe anyone but Jrue ever wins defensive player of the year...team is starting to play like if you want to be Champs, pry it from our cold dead fingers.

Luv my Mavs, but they're outclassed - the Suns are loaded. It's a wonder we won 2 games so far. 

33 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Luv my Mavs, but they're outclassed - the Suns are loaded. It's a wonder we won 2 games so far. 

Suns are standing around with their d!ck in their hands on both sides of the court again. It's hard to watch. Game 7 incoming. 

Devin Booker gets 4th foul.

Other end, Luka drives up the middle for a dunk to take the lead to 22.  Late 3rd quarter.

Go Mavs!

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

Can't believe anyone but Jrue ever wins defensive player of the year...team is starting to play like if you want to be Champs, pry it from our cold dead fingers.

Jrue has been a damn good, undervalued player for many years. 

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

Smart might out-flop LeFlop.

Holiday was clutch. Love the team, other than Allen.

Harden is due 47 million next year. Wrap your head around that...

What a disaster.

8 hours ago, Gladiators said:

Marcus Smart is embarrassing to have on the team you like. He goes to the floor. EVERY CHANCE he gets.  Jason Tatum has really taken that from Smart and does the same bullchit. Maddening to watch. Most Celtics fans hate Marcus Smart

9 minutes ago, Reality said:

What a disaster.

Miguel Cabrera

2019 - .744 OPS 30 million
2020 - .746 OPS 30 million
2021 - .701 OPS 30 million
2022 - .655 OPS 32 million
2023 - 32 million
2024 - 30 million  (he can opt out to be a UFA) :lol: 
2025 - 30 million

:doh: 

Awful end for the Sixers. Other than one year with Butler they’ve totally failed to surround Embiid with the right pieces. Maxey gives me hope. They need to get out from under Tobias and let Harden walk after next year.

8 minutes ago, Reality said:

What a disaster.

He has one year left on his deal.

You can PM me if you want my attention. :wub: 

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

Marcus Smart is embarrassing to have on the team you like. He goes to the floor. EVERY CHANCE he gets.  Jason Tatum has really taken that from Smart and does the same bullchit. Maddening to watch. Most Celtics fans hate Marcus Smart

Odd to hear because as a fan of another team I’ve always loved Marcus Smart. No idea what his contract looks like though.

4 minutes ago, MDC said:

Odd to hear because as a fan of another team I’ve always loved Marcus Smart. No idea what his contract looks like though.

He was signed to a new extension last year,. fans thought they did it to trade his ass. 

New deal starts in 2022-'23 with no player option and secures him at $90M-plus through 2025-'26.

Boston Celtics veteran guard Marcus Smart signed a four-year, $77 million contract extension this offseason to remain with the team.

But Smart recently revealed he was close to walking away from the franchise he's called home for his entire seven-year career. In an interview with Jay King of The Athletic, Smart said he "strongly considered" turning down the Celtics' contract offer in hopes of chasing a deal no less than $90 million.

"For me, it was, I’ve gotta get paid," Smart said. "I’ve gotta get mine. Everybody else in my position that I’ve dominated are getting theirs. And it’s like, I know I do way more than these guys. I’m on a better team as well. So it’s like, what’s going on?"

Embiid doesn't seem like the type to do it but, it'd be in his best interest to force his way out.

It's not going to ever work out in Philly.

21 minutes ago, MDC said:

Awful end for the Sixers. Other than one year with Butler they’ve totally failed to surround Embiid with the right pieces. Maxey gives me hope. They need to get out from under Tobias and let Harden walk after next year.

He has one year left on his deal.

You can PM me if you want my attention. :wub: 

Trust the process! ;)   I know, I know, cue the excuses about Binkie having it all right and the other guys blowing it after he was gone. We will ignore the fact he drafted Nerlens Noel and MCW (passing on Giannis) , and drafted Okafor in 2015. Binkie may have been gone before the actual 2016 draft but he laid that groundwork and 76ers faithful, including yourself, LOVED Simmons until they didn't (passing on Ingram and even Jaylen Brown). If it wasn't for his poor playoffs last year and his holdout, you'd be saying the Sixers failed to surround Embiid AND Simmons with the right pieces :rolleyes:

Cue the "Nets traded for Simmons! bwahaha".... true, but you also know I'm not big on Simmons so.... and at this point, Simmons or Harden? I can't stand Harden and he is declining rapidly at 32/33 so I'll reluctantly take Simmons at 25/26 years old and his defense/distributing. When the trade was made, I think we both agreed it was a good deal for both sides, given the circumstances. 

Cue the .... something about Billy King and the Nets trade for KG/Pierce. I believe that was 2013, Binkies first draft class. Philly was destined for greatness and the Nets were dead for decades. 9 seasons later and the teams are pretty much in the same boat. :lol:  Philly didn't become a playoff team until 2017-18, the Nets were a playoff team again in 2018-19. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I too am a fan of Marcus Smart :cheers:

3 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Trust the process! ;)   I know, I know, cue the excuses about Binkie having it all right and the other guys blowing it after he was gone. We will ignore the fact he drafted Nerlens Noel and MCW (passing on Giannis) , and drafted Okafor in 2015. Binkie may have been gone before the actual 2016 draft but he laid that groundwork and 76ers faithful, including yourself, LOVED Simmons until they didn't (passing on Ingram and even Jaylen Brown). If it wasn't for his poor playoffs last year and his holdout, you'd be saying the Sixers failed to surround Embiid AND Simmons with the right pieces :rolleyes:

Cue the "Nets traded for Simmons! bwahaha".... true, but you also know I'm not big on Simmons so.... and at this point, Simmons or Harden? I can't stand Harden and he is declining rapidly at 32/33 so I'll reluctantly take Simmons at 25/26 years old and his defense/distributing. When the trade was made, I think we both agreed it was a good deal for both sides, given the circumstances. 

Cue the .... something about Billy King and the Nets trade for KG/Pierce. I believe that was 2013, Binkies first draft class. Philly was destined for greatness and the Nets were dead for decades. 9 seasons later and the teams are pretty much in the same boat. :lol:  Philly didn't become a playoff team until 2017-18, the Nets were a playoff team again in 2018-19. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I too am a fan of Marcus Smart :cheers:

The Nets got swept in round 1 and you barely watch basketball by your own admission, dude.

I knew you’d come scurrying though. :wub: 

Just now, MDC said:

The Nets got swept in round 1 and you barely watch basketball by your own admission, dude.

I knew you’d come scurrying though. :wub: 

And yet everything I said is correct.... The insta response, love it :wub:  

The round 1 sweep was embarrassing.....  and yet still in the same situation as the 76ers. Potentially better off moving forward. 

Also my "barely" watching basketball since the bubble still trumps your overall lack of knowledge ;)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

And yet everything I said is correct.... The insta response, love it :wub:  

The round 1 sweep was embarrassing.....  and yet still in the same situation as the 76ers. Potentially better off moving forward. 

Also my "barely" watching basketball since the bubble still trumps your overall lack of knowledge ;)

I’m not sure the guy who calls Embiid Greg Oden 2.0 should be commenting on anyone else’s lack of knowledge. :unsure:

Want my cell # to chat? :wub: 

23 minutes ago, MDC said:

I’m not sure the guy who calls Embiid Greg Oden 2.0 should be commenting on anyone else’s lack of knowledge. :unsure:

Want my cell # to chat? :wub: 

you make me smile ^_^

that old nugget you have to cling to when I said Embiid could be Oden 2.0 with his injuries. Hey, I was wrong... just like you were wrong about Ben Simmons. I am legit glad things have worked out for Embiid and his talent. He is tremendous and fun to watch.... But please try to be rational and remember... foot surgery before the draft and a setback with said foot injury the following year causing him to miss two full seasons and then I believe a knee injury cut his "rookie" season short? A big man with a ton of missed time to begin his career, it was feeling eerily similar. 

and jeez man, I see you have a pattern. People post in here regarding the 76ers and since their posts are correct you default to telling them to PM you for attention or ask if they want your cell :lol: like we care about you. Good stuff.  Notice I posted in this thread after the 76ers loss and before any post by you. I eventually responded to you but you act like I came running here to get your attention right after Philly blew it. 

6 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

you make me smile ^_^

that old nugget you have to cling to when I said Embiid could be Oden 2.0 with his injuries. Hey, I was wrong... just like you were wrong about Ben Simmons. I am legit glad things have worked out for Embiid and his talent. He is tremendous and fun to watch.... But please try to be rational and remember... foot surgery before the draft and a setback with said foot injury the following year causing him to miss two full seasons and then I believe a knee injury cut his "rookie" season short? A big man with a ton of missed time to begin his career, it was feeling eerily similar. 

and jeez man, I see you have a pattern. People post in here regarding the 76ers and since their posts are correct you default to telling them to PM you for attention or ask if they want your cell :lol: like we care about you. Good stuff.  Notice I posted in this thread after the 76ers loss and before any post by you. I eventually responded to you but you act like I came running here to get your attention right after Philly blew it. 

The Sixers are the Utah Jazz East - a 50-ish win team with no shot at a title. The roster is poorly constructed and they’ve made a long series of bad decisions. Last night was embarrassing. Not as embarrassing as the paper champion Nets getting swept in round 1, but embarrassing nonetheless. I have no idea what the path forward is.

Happy now? :wub: 

10 hours ago, Gladiators said:

please..stfu

2 hours ago, edjr said:

Do not listen to edjr about hoops. or really any sport.