Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Kitchen fees

I know we've discussed this before. But the rampant increase in restaurants who are charging hospitality fees or kitchen fees or convenience fees or whatever they want to call them is just getting out of hand. One place that I hang out at has a 6% fee. And that's on top of almost 9% in sales taxes.

So, that's a 15% over the top fee. Plus then you have front of house people who b**** that they're 'only' getting 20%.

Not to mention that just about every entree is running at a minimum of 20 bucks now. Breakfast, nachos, cheeseburger, you name it.

I'm in the industry. So I hear what waitresses have to say. And they are the most entitled little b****** on the entire planet. I would love one of these women who b**** about how men make more money than women address this subject. Because I guarantee that some ditzy lazy blonde with big makes a whole lot more money than the poor Mexican who bust his ass washing dishes until 4:00 a.m.

5 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I have a solution. Don't go out to eat. It saves money and will lengthen your life

...or maybe just make my life feel longer...

4 hours ago, wiffleball said:

I know we've discussed this before. But the rampant increase in restaurants who are charging hospitality fees or kitchen fees or convenience fees or whatever they want to call them is just getting out of hand. One place that I hang out at has a 6% fee. And that's on top of almost 9% in sales taxes.

So, that's a 15% over the top fee. Plus then you have front of house people who b**** that they're 'only' getting 20%.

Not to mention that just about every entree is running at a minimum of 20 bucks now. Breakfast, nachos, cheeseburger, you name it.

I'm in the industry. So I hear what waitresses have to say. And they are the most entitled little b****** on the entire planet. I would love one of these women who b**** about how men make more money than women address this subject. Because I guarantee that some ditzy lazy blonde with big makes a whole lot more money than the poor Mexican who bust his ass washing dishes until 4:00 a.m.

I haven't seen this at any establishment i have been in.  Of course I haven't been in Colorado Springs since before COVID.  

It is annoying, but we have so much money that it changes nothing about the way we live.

I only see it pop up on occasion, and for a lesser amount. 

1 minute ago, MLCKAA said:

It is annoying, but we have so much money that it changes nothing about the way we live.

Where do you live and visit that have these fees?

I don't know where else to put this. But I can smell burning grease. Bad grease. Fetid grease. The minute I walk in.

The same thing with bad meat or fish. It's just a thing. It's disgusting. But it's absolutely guaranteed. 

4 hours ago, wiffleball said:

I don't know where else to put this. But I can smell burning grease. Bad grease. Fetid grease. The minute I walk in.

The same thing with bad meat or fish. It's just a thing. It's disgusting. But it's absolutely guaranteed. 

Never mind. I don’t care about her can size anymore.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bert said:

Where do you live and visit that have these fees?

In Indianapolis we go to Bluebeard, Vida and Union 50 that all have kitchen fees.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, the newb said:

Wtf is a kitchen fee?

A surcharge added to your bill for no clear fcking reason 

1 hour ago, MLCKAA said:

A surcharge added to your bill for no clear fcking reason 

If I were to ever see a "kitchen fee" on my bill, I would just tell them it's my last visit there. 

20 minutes ago, craftsman said:

If I were to ever see a "kitchen fee" on my bill, I would just tell them it's my last visit there. 

I like great food, so I pay it.

4 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

I like great food, so I pay it.

I get your point. If you like a place you like you like a place. But I gotta say, adding fees and naming them "kitchen fees" is bullshlt. Granted, it was in my 20's, but I actually quit a job because the owner wanted to add "kitchen fees" type charge by taking part of waiters and bartenders tips. Currently, they want to raise salaries of kitchen help, without simply raising prices of food or costs or whatever. It's all aimed at guiding customers to thinking they are just helping people instead of paying for what businesses are charging in reality. It makes a big difference in how things are calculated overall.

6 minutes ago, Raven Fan said:

I tip really well.  But that's because I'm balling.  Most of you cultist make like minimum wage. 

There we go. Big talker. 

12 minutes ago, craftsman said:

There we go. Big talker. 

Talker?  lol you plebes are so lucky I interact with you.  It let's me know just how stupid cultist are.

And cultist are so very stupid. 

2 minutes ago, Raven Fan said:

Talker?  lol you plebes are so lucky I interact with you.  It let's me know just how stupid cultist are.

And cultist are so very stupid. 

Ok Rusty. Got ya. :doh:

Kitchen Fee?  Is that real? LOL.
Soooo....what's our bill gonna look like in 2 years?

Burger, Fries, Drink:  $16.88
Kitchen Fee: 2.11
Electricity Fee: .89
Employee Wages fee: $3.55
Parking Lot Snow Removal Fee: $1.22
Property Tax Fee: $1.89
Building Insurance Fee: $2.44
Owner Royalty Fees: 1.36
Window Cleaning Fees: 1.01

That's BULLSHIT.  Yes...we get it...there are costs associated with running a business.  But for god Fooocking sakes you don't itemize every one them and  list them on a bill.   There has been a "kitchen fee" since the BEGINNING OF TIME in the restaurant business.  Why do they think 2022 is a good time to introduce it? 

That's just insulting the intelligence of your customer.   Acting like they can't think on their own to see through that. Give it a cutesy name and tacking it onto the bill?
Focccck that.  If I saw that on my bill ...I'd ask what I just said "What's next?  Snow removal, parking lot, electricity fees?

Be a focking man. Include it in the price of your food. 

Are you focking serious that you have seen "kitchen fee"? 

That bush league crap reminds me of the early days of Ebay when folks would charge $1 for the item and then $99 shipping. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen this in Denver but we have a few places we like to eat so it's possible those just haven't done it.  That being said, ultimately I look at the total cost of the meal.  If I think it's fair I don't care how it's divided between the cost of the meal itself and the add on fees.

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

I haven't seen this in Denver but we have a few places we like to eat so it's possible those just haven't done it.  That being said, ultimately I look at the total cost of the meal.  If I think it's fair I don't care how it's divided between the cost of the meal itself and the add on fees.

But I focking guarantee if they added a "kitchen fee" of $5.44 ---they sure as did not subtract 5.44 from the price of the meal.

You're correct, it's all about the price of the meal....but still.... why itemize individual business expenses. (see my example from above).

Are Walmart or Amazon going to start selling shampoo like this:
"Shampoo...$5.98" then add on "shipping fees to get it to us" , "stocking shelves fee" etc? No...they'll include it in the price.  Because they aren't focking retarded in the world of business. 

29 minutes ago, craftsman said:

I get your point. If you like a place you like you like a place. But I gotta say, adding fees and naming them "kitchen fees" is bullshlt. Granted, it was in my 20's, but I actually quit a job because the owner wanted to add "kitchen fees" type charge by taking part of waiters and bartenders tips. Currently, they want to raise salaries of kitchen help, without simply raising prices of food or costs or whatever. It's all aimed at guiding customers to thinking they are just helping people instead of paying for what businesses are charging in reality. It makes a big difference in how things are calculated overall.

Man, we’re in agreement on all of this.  But I like what I like.  I pay it and don’t give it a second thought. I’m a very lucky dude.  I know some people here brag and that’s NOT my goal, but these kitchen fees don’t impact me at all.  If Applebees and McDonalds start doing it, that’s a different story.

8 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

Man, we’re in agreement on all of this.  But I like what I like.  I pay it and don’t give it a second thought. I’m a very lucky dude.  I know some people here brag and that’s NOT my goal, but these kitchen fees don’t impact me at all.  If Applebees and McDonalds start doing it, that’s a different story.

Me too. I was trying to bring in back when it actually impacted me. But that being said, I'm not here to fight for 20 year olds that can fight for themselves. 

Today I don't give a crap personally monetarily, I'm doing well myself, but it's actually making me think because I have a few moments to think about it.. Thing is, our government uses so many stats on wage pay, they are just full of crap.

Thankfully, none of that bullsh1t is going on around here. When we went to Miami though, it was EVERYWHERE. On EVERY drink/food order. So I didn’t tip at all. You gonna charge me that then that means I don’t have to tip. It was called a “hospitality tax” down there 

42 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Thankfully, none of that bullsh1t is going on around here. When we went to Miami though, it was EVERYWHERE. On EVERY drink/food order. So I didn’t tip at all. You gonna charge me that then that means I don’t have to tip. It was called a “hospitality tax” down there 

We go to Miramar beach for 10 days every year and all the restaurants include a hospitality fee.  That was happening pre-covid, pre-Biden.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

We go to Miramar beach for 10 days every year and all the restaurants include a hospitality fee.  That was happening pre-covid, pre-Biden.

I don't think anyone is blaming Biden for those shltty fees. 

It's just if regular restaurants are taking on this activity, it's not great. You are bringing up hospitality fees in Miramar Beach. Which are not what the standard should be for a regular restaurant. Just my opinion. 

Can we start talking about "resort fees" that hotels charge?  What a focking scam.  yeah, your rate is $159 but then we're adding on a $20/day "resort" fee. 

16 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

Not blaming Biden or covid. Just saying what I experienced and why I wasn’t tipping :dunno: 

The head waitress at Applebees wearing knee pads changed you more again Wiff???

14 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Why do they think 2022 is a good time to introduce it? 

This is a very valid question that I think has an explanation. A few things have happened over the past 2+ years. First, the American public was exposed for just how dumb they are, and I bet a lot of people don’t know about the fees even after paying them. Second, which contributes to the first, is inflation. People see a higher bill and write it off as inflation because the media has convinced people to accept it as normalcy. 
Third, there was a big push to support your local establishments and service workers after the lockdowns and consumers get a feeling of generosity by paying more and contributing to the “less fortunate/working class”. 

14 hours ago, MLCKAA said:

Here’s where we differ. Just because I can afford to pay for something doesn’t mean I’m going to pay for it. 
Some of these fees are tacky and absurd. Out of principle, I will avoid these places.

13 hours ago, Strike said:

Can we start talking about "resort fees" that hotels charge?  What a focking scam.  yeah, your rate is $159 but then we're adding on a $20/day "resort" fee. 

Yeah, that's BS.  They are clearly just trying to skirt the hotel booking site algorithms.

50 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

Here’s where we differ. Just because I can afford to pay for something doesn’t mean I’m going to pay for it. 
Some of these fees are tacky and absurd. Out of principle, I will avoid these places.

Ok.  I pay it.