Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore troubadour

Memphis Police Killing

52 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

And you’ll note how quickly the cops were arrested. When the cops are white, typically, there’s a 6 month or year long investigation before any charges are made, which is usually totally unnecessary. 

The 5 black cops here were arrested 19 days after the beating.

White cop Derek Chauvin was arrested 4 days after he murdered George Floyd.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

Feelings outweigh facts

4 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

Liberals just repeat what they are told and then toss out terms like “critical thinking “.  

1 hour ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

there are more white names on that list but keep going with the narrative

Tim can't cite one white victim of the police, even from his own backyard as I've tried to educate him.  But he can assure you that if a white person was a victim of police brutality it would be exceedingly rare and much more rare than a black person, despite the stats which say otherwise.  Data doesn't matter to Tim.  As long as black cops beat up black victims, it's whitey's fault damnit!!!

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

That’s not true either. Cops get away with things sometimes as well. Maybe not the big media cases,  but on the day to day it happens.  

I was talking death cases, they get charged or cleared every time

I know cops get away with plenty of shady sh1t

21 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

Key word being beaten vs murdered. 

24 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

I said “typically”, not always. Chauvin was an exception, of which I’m glad of. I’m quite sure there were plenty of people in this forum who defended Chauvin at the time (since some still do.) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Engorgeous George said:

I would like for these directed enforcement units to not have "tough" or "machismo" validating names like scorpion unit or crash unit.  I think that contributes to an attitude among the menbers of being some as$-kicking warrior cult.  Call them community expectation compliance monitors and they would approach their jobs with a different attitude.

Don't dress them in black.  They do so to be intimidating and that rubs off on their psyches.  Dress them in the old Tamps Bay Bucs orangesicle colors or Detroit Lion Honolulu blue.  History proved you cannot be tough while wearing those colors.

Naming of units isn't the cause of police brutality.  Come on.  The answer to this is simple.  Drill it in to the cops starting at the academy what the expectations are re: their interaction with the public, especially in use of force.  Implore them to err on the side of caution and restraint in their use of force.  Have annual continuing education training to again drill in to them the serious nature of their interactions with the public and expectations when doing so.  Put a camera on EVERY cop and make it part of their training and policy that the camera is turned on every time they interact with the public.  If an incident occurs such as this and there is not camera evidence there are significant penalties regardless of whether the investigation determines the police were at fault for the incident. 

On the other side, activists and TimPeenie's need to stop blowing up every incident such as this in to a civil rights case.  These are isolated incidents, happen to people of every color, and unfortunately tend to happen to people who from the darker side of life whether that be because of drug addiction, career criminals, of whatever circumstance it is.  And It's rare to have the incident such as the musician who's vehicle broke down in Florida a couple years ago and an off duty cop came upon him and killed him for no good reason.   And these incidents are also very statistically rare    We need to raise our children to respect the police and comply with them.    Most of these incidents would have been avoided if people just did that.  People teaching their children that they're likely to die if they interact with a cop are doing that person a disservice.  This doesn't absolve the police of their culpability when an incident such as this occurs, but there are things both sides could do to avoid these incidents. 

In any event, we should strive for a police force where this type of thing never happens but we also have to acknowledge that given the number of police interactions with the public and the fact that cops are humans too there will occasionally be an interaction that goes bad.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Strike said:

Tim can't cite one white victim of the police, even from his own backyard as I've tried to educate him.  But he can assure you that if a white person was a victim of police brutality it would be exceedingly rare and much more rare than a black person, despite the stats which say otherwise.  Data doesn't matter to Tim.  As long as black cops beat up black victims, it's whitey's fault damnit!!!

You spend an awful lot of time trying to tell me what I think. If you want to know just ask. 

Black people are only 13% of the population, so of course you can order anecdotes of whites who have been brutally treated by police. But of course that’s not the point, because when whites are mistreated they’re not mistreated for being white. Black people are mistreated by police in part for being black. That’s the point, which you do your best to deny. 

2 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

You spend an awful lot of time trying to tell me what I think. If you want to know just ask. 

Black people are only 13% of the population, so of course you can order anecdotes of whites who have been brutally treated by police. But of course that’s not the point, because when whites are mistreated they’re not mistreated for being white. Black people are mistreated by police in part for being black. That’s the point, which you do your best to deny. 

Right, even when all the cops are black.  Fock off dipsh*t.

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

Naming of units isn't the cause of police brutality.  Come on.  The answer to this is simple.  Drill it in to the cops starting at the academy what the expectations are re: their interaction with the public, especially in use of force.  Implore them to err on the side of caution and restraint in their use of force.  Have annual continuing education training to again drill in to them the serious nature of their interactions with the public and expectations when doing so.  Put a camera on EVERY cop and make it part of their training and policy that the camera is turned on every time they interact with the public.  If an incident occurs such as this and there is not camera evidence there are significant penalties regardless of whether the investigation determines the police were at fault for the incident. 

On the other side, activists and TimPeenie's need to stop blowing up every incident such as this in to a civil rights case.  These are isolated incidents, happen to people of every color, and unfortunately tend to happen to people who from the darker side of life whether that be because of drug addiction, career criminals, of whatever circumstance it is.  And It's rare to have the incident such as the musician who's vehicle broke down in Florida a couple years ago and an off duty cop came upon him and killed him for no good reason.   And these incidents are also very statistically rare    We need to raise our children to respect the police and comply with them.    Most of these incidents would have been avoided if people just did that.  People teaching their children that they're likely to die if they interact with a cop are doing that person a disservice.  This doesn't absolve the police of their culpability when an incident such as this occurs, but there are things both sides could do to avoid these incidents. 

In any event, we should strive for a police force where this type of thing never happens but we also have to acknowledge that given the number of police interactions with the public and the fact that cops are humans too there will occasionally be an interaction that goes bad.  

A lot of what you wrote here makes sense. But you can’t ignore the racial part of it. You can’t pretend it doesn’t exist. 

I support your proposals. But we also have to have racial sensitivity training, especially in areas with large minority populations. And we have to teach critical race theory to high school juniors and seniors. Expose them to the truth; that will change our society for the better and prevent these situations in the future. 

There has also been some notable incidents where a white cop was unjustly charged or assumed guilty.  Michael Brown and Freddie Gray off the top of my head.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, peenie said:

Key word being beaten vs murdered. 

I chose the word beating because it was more clear what date I was talking about.  He died 3 days later.

2 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

A lot of what you wrote here makes sense. But you can’t ignore the racial part of it. You can’t pretend it doesn’t exist. 

I support your proposals. But we also have to have racial sensitivity training, especially in areas with large minority populations. And we have to teach critical race theory to high school juniors and seniors. Expose them to the truth; that will change our society for the better and prevent these situations in the future. 

I'm not ignoring anything.  But I'm not going to waste significant time discussing this with an idiot who thinks that when 5 black cops beat up a black man it's whitey's fault. 

3 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

It’s irrelevant what race the cops are. 

Yeah, we know.  Always Whitey's fault TimPeenie!!!

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

I'm not ignoring anything.  But I'm not going to waste significant time discussing this with an idiot who thinks that when 5 black cops beat up a black man it's whitey's fault. 

When the demand for racism exceeds the supply…

6 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

There has also been some notable incidents where a white cop was unjustly charged or assumed guilty.  Michael Brown and Freddie Gray off the top of my head.

I don’t think either of these are good examples. Both  Brown and Gray were pretty clearly unjustly killed. There just was t enough evidence to prosecute. 

What idiots like TimPeenie don't get is that, while the effects of this defund the police/anti police movement are already showing in cops leaving the profession or moving from the cities to more suburban jobs, this is going to have a huge impact in 10-20 years.  Because there are a lot of cops now who will stay on the force despite all this hate for them.  They're either close to retirement, don't know anything else, etc......But they're going to move on at some point and I have strong concerns for how they're going to be replaced.  Cops used to be respected, would visit schools, kids would say they want to grow up to be a cop, etc....Is any of that going to continue to happen to continue a supply of new blood?  If I were a kid I would want no part of it.  As noted above, this may result in lower quality candidates which will only exacerbate this issue. 

3 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Don’t know who peenie is. Is that supposed to be an insult? Means nothing 

Not an insult.  Peenie is just another misguided idiot who thinks whitey is responsible for all of the ills of the black community despite not being able to come up with any significant examples of racism in her own life, coming from a stable upbringing, and working in the scientific field. 

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

What idiots like TimPeenie don't get is that, while the effects of this defund the police/anti police movement are already showing in cops leaving the profession or moving from the cities to more suburban jobs, this is going to have a huge impact in 10-20 years.  Because there are a lot of cops now who will stay on the force despite all this hate for them.  They're either close to retirement, don't know anything else, etc......But they're going to move on at some point and I have strong concerns for how they're going to be replaced.  Cops used to be respected, would visit schools, kids would say they want to grow up to be a cop, etc....Is any of that going to continue to happen to continue a supply of new blood?  If I were a kid I would want no part of it.  As noted above, this may result in lower quality candidates which will only exacerbate this issue. 

Oh I 100% agree with you. I am opposed to defunding police. I am not anti police. I want police paid more, way more. I just want them trained a little better. 

Radical leftists want to defund the police. They’re the ones who are going to chase new recruits away. That’s not what I want. 

Incidentally, right wing calls to defund the FBI don’t help either. 

5 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I don’t think either of these are good examples. Both  Brown and Gray were pretty clearly unjustly killed. There just was t enough evidence to prosecute. 

GTFO.  From the Wikipedia page on the Michael Brown death:

This event ignited unrest in Ferguson. Witnesses to the shooting claimed Brown had his hands up in surrender or said "don't shoot", so protesters later used the slogan "Hands up, don't shoot".[10] A subsequent FBI investigation said that there was no evidence that Brown had done so.[1

A grand jury was called and given extensive evidence from Robert McCulloch, the St. Louis County Prosecutor. On November 24, 2014, McCulloch announced the St. Louis County grand jury had decided not to indict Wilson.[12] In March 2015, the U.S. Department of Justice reported the conclusion of its own investigation and cleared Wilson of civil rights violations in the shooting. It found forensic evidence supported Wilson's account, and that witnesses who corroborated the officer's account were credible. Witnesses who had incriminated him were found to be not credible, with some admitting they had not directly seen the events.[13][14] The U.S. Department of Justice concluded that Wilson shot Brown in self-defense.[15][16]

There was plenty of evidence to support the officer's version of events.  This is why you have no credibility.  I can get it that we disagree on things that aren't black and white.  But the Michael Brown death isn't one of those cases.  And, when you refuse to acknowledge the cases where there is no fault on the cops, you destroy your credibility.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I said “typically”, not always. Chauvin was an exception, of which I’m glad of. I’m quite sure there were plenty of people in this forum who defended Chauvin at the time (since some still do.) 

Fewer than you'd think. The vast majority of us thought it was bad from the start. This is page one of a zillion: 

When  the near-unanimity broke down was later and it revolved on things such as if racism is involved, if it was fentanyl that killed Floyd rather than Chuavin's knee, Floyd's post-death hero treatment, and the way the two rookie cops who participated should be treated.

4 minutes ago, Strike said:

Not an insult.  Peenie is just another misguided idiot who thinks whitey is responsible for all of the ills of the black community despite not being able to come up with any significant examples of racism in her own life, coming from a stable upbringing, and working in the scientific field. 

I don’t believe white people are responsible for all of the ills of the black community. I believe systemic racism, which many white people are unaware of, but don’t deliberately practice, is responsible for a lot of it, though not all. 

1 minute ago, Strike said:

GTFO.  From the Wikipedia page on the Michael Brown death:

There was plenty of evidence to support the officer's version of events.  This is why you have no credibility.  I can get it that we disagree on things that aren't black and white.  But the Michael Brown death isn't one of those cases.  And, when you refuse to acknowledge the cases where there is no fault on the cops, you destroy your credibility.

I’m quite familiar with that case. Theres a whole lot that the Wiki summary leaves out. But I don’t want to bog this thread down. Michael Brown was a thug who deserved to be arrested and sent to prison. I don’t believe he deserved to die. 

25 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Respectfully Tim, today is a new day and a chance for you to redeem yourself.  You would do better today by simply asking someone to explain use of force, investigative procedures, and due process so you can at least ground your opinions in some level of facts.

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

I’m quite familiar with that case. Theres a whole lot that the Wiki summary leaves out. But I don’t want to bog this thread down. Michael Brown was a thug who deserved to be arrested and sent to prison. I don’t believe he deserved to die. 

This is a red herring.  Very few people think he "deserved" to die.  Some consider it an unfortunate outcome brought on by his own actions but very few actually believe he deserved to die.  But it's typical of you to deflect. 

But no, buddy. For once back up your assertion.  Convince us that the cops focked up in Michael Brown.  Or walk away with your tail between your legs like you did yesterday after I proved you wrong on black voting.  You ALWAYS do this.  After being proven wrong you make some vague statement to save face.  You're in a thread about police brutality.  There isn't a BETTER thread for you to make a case against the cops in the MIchael Brown incident.  So go for it. 

4 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Respectfully Tim, today is a new day and a chance for you to redeem yourself.  You would do better today by simply asking someone to explain use of force, investigative procedures, and due process so you can at least ground your opinions in some level of facts.

Thank you. I am always willing to be more educated than I am. However if you expect any amount of information to change my conviction that systemic racism is a huge problem in our society, especially with regard to the police, I doubt that’s going to happen. 

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

Thank you. I am always willing to be more educated than I am. However if you expect any amount of information to change my conviction that systemic racism is a huge problem in our society, especially with regard to the police, I doubt that’s going to happen. 

Sorry you hate facts

2 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Sorry you hate facts

Facts and data are the enemy of those whose worldview is formed by anecdotes and emotion.

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

This is a red herring.  Very few people think he "deserved" to die.  Some consider it an unfortunate outcome brought on by his own actions but very few actually believe he deserved to die.  But it's typical of you to deflect. 

But no, buddy. For once back up your assertion.  Convince us that the cops focked up in Michael Brown.  Or walk away with your tail between your legs like you did yesterday after I proved you wrong on black voting.  You ALWAYS do this.  After being proven wrong you make some vague statement to save face.  You're in a thread about police brutality.  There isn't a BETTER thread for you to make a case against the cops in the MIchael Brown incident.  So go for it. 

I back up my assertions all the time. And when I’m wrong, as happens sometimes, I acknowledge that too. 
But sorry I have no interest in going back and drudging up that tragedy. And if you think that’s because I can’t, then go ahead and believe it. Your judgment of my integrity is of complete disinterest to me. And if I ever have your respect or high regard that would scare me if I cared (I don’t.) 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I do believe he deserved to die, when a 250 lb man attacks a 160lb cop and goes for his gun, you deserve to die

1 hour ago, The Real timschochet said:

What happened in Memphis is what Colin Kaepernick kneeled about. This is why he kneeled. 

Will they play the National Anthem on TV tomorrow? If so it will not surprise me if some players kneel. Or if there is some other kind of demonstration. 

false he kneeled cause he got benched for blaine gabbert.  Kaepernick gave zero focks and never used his platform for anything until he was benched and he was dating a radical islamist

Kaepernick is more privileged than anyone on this board and always has been

34 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Nothing  but the forensics.

12 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

your problem is you believe systemic racism is a thing

are black people unfairly treated by the cops?  Yes, thats not cause of systemic racism, its cause due to the statistics they are dealing with a more potential to be harmed and a higher % of that population being hard criminals.  Thats simple facts, cops have to worry more about black males than any other sect of society, and they are more of a threat

5 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I back up my assertions all the time. And when I’m wrong, as happens sometimes, I acknowledge that too. 
But sorry I have no interest in going back and drudging up that tragedy. And if you think that’s because I can’t, then go ahead and believe it. Your judgment of my integrity is of complete disinterest to me. And if I ever have your respect or high regard that would scare me if I cared (I don’t.) 

Very rarely with anything other than your own platitudes and anecdotes.  More rarely with credible data or facts.  The Michael Brown case is cut and dry.  It was justified.  You thinking otherwise should be a note to everyone on this bored with half a brain on what to expect from you.

1 minute ago, Strike said:

Very rarely with anything other than your own platitudes and anecdotes.  More rarely with credible data or facts.  The Michael Brown case is cut and dry.  It was justified.  You thinking otherwise should be a note to everyone on this bored with half a brain on what to expect from you.

not to mention Browns falsehood started the BLM marxist movement that has done nothing but steal from blacks and white karens

45 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I'm late to this party, so I just wanted to say: nice troll attempt, sorry nobody took the bait.  :dunno: