Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore troubadour

Memphis Police Killing

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

I'm late to this party, so I just wanted to say: nice troll attempt, sorry nobody took the bait.  :dunno: 

CRT, the only justice to past indiscretions is future indiscretions

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Strike said:

Naming of units isn't the cause of police brutality.  Come on.  The answer to this is simple.  Drill it in to the cops starting at the academy what the expectations are re: their interaction with the public, especially in use of force.  Implore them to err on the side of caution and restraint in their use of force.  Have annual continuing education training to again drill in to them the serious nature of their interactions with the public and expectations when doing so.  Put a camera on EVERY cop and make it part of their training and policy that the camera is turned on every time they interact with the public.  If an incident occurs such as this and there is not camera evidence there are significant penalties regardless of whether the investigation determines the police were at fault for the incident. 

On the other side, activists and TimPeenie's need to stop blowing up every incident such as this in to a civil rights case.  These are isolated incidents, happen to people of every color, and unfortunately tend to happen to people who from the darker side of life whether that be because of drug addiction, career criminals, of whatever circumstance it is.  And It's rare to have the incident such as the musician who's vehicle broke down in Florida a couple years ago and an off duty cop came upon him and killed him for no good reason.   And these incidents are also very statistically rare    We need to raise our children to respect the police and comply with them.    Most of these incidents would have been avoided if people just did that.  People teaching their children that they're likely to die if they interact with a cop are doing that person a disservice.  This doesn't absolve the police of their culpability when an incident such as this occurs, but there are things both sides could do to avoid these incidents. 

In any event, we should strive for a police force where this type of thing never happens but we also have to acknowledge that given the number of police interactions with the public and the fact that cops are humans too there will occasionally be an interaction that goes bad.  

I did not assert it was the sole cause, but I do believe it contributes to a mindset.  I also do believe uniform color and accoutrements does as well.  If they picture themselves warriors they act one way, if they picture themselves helpers they will act another.

As for the rest of your assertions I think those are good.  I doubly encourage extra training for felony warrant serving units and specialty interdiction units.

Axon, the body cam folks who are the inheritors of the Tazer body cam systems have new, upgraded systems that can automatically turn them on whenever lights and sirens are activated, whenever dispatch dispatches officers, or whenever they leave their bvehicle.  I think Departments would be well-served to let citizens know and understand all encounters are being filmed for their safety.  They do not have to fear their interaction is occuring in secrecy which would allow abuse. They can relax knowing the interaction is being recorded.  They do not have to flee thinking 99.999% of the time incorrectly, that they have to fear the outcome of an interaction, action which is almost always counterproductive to their own safety interests.

I am all for reasoned advancements in policing.  I stand firmly opposed to idiots seeking insane procedures in policing, let demanding they learn to shoot to cripple rather than kill.  That makes good t.v. and movies but it is bad policy.,

On the topic of institutional or systemic racism, I think we need to define those terms more clearly.  I think we can all agree that the various police academies don't teach racism.  So, to the extent it exists, it derives from the sum total life experiences of the officers in question, both from personal and professional experiences.

So what others call racism I would call "bias and/or profiling based on prior experiences."  

Several op eds posted here dance around this subject, but it seems many try to put all of the blame on whitey.  The elephant in the room that they seem to avoid (except perhaps Whitlock) is the responsibility of the inner city black communities for the behaviors of young black men which have led police to have these opinions, independent of the race of the officers.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

A lot of what you wrote here makes sense. But you can’t ignore the racial part of it. You can’t pretend it doesn’t exist. 

I support your proposals. But we also have to have racial sensitivity training, especially in areas with large minority populations. And we have to teach critical race theory to high school juniors and seniors. Expose them to the truth; that will change our society for the better and prevent these situations in the future. 

The CRT whackos making large sums of money picking at the nation's racial scabs are the problem. And the people actually in need of exposure to the truth are you and others who buy their lies.

Maybe this thread helps because you went to the well too many times, picking the wrong policing incident to bring up your CRT nonsense lies. It ought to be obvious to even you that by their skin pigmentation these five police officers are not racist nor racially motivated. They are not members of the secret klan policing cabal that exists only in your and Kimberly Crenshaw's imagination. Although yes, these focked up in beating to death a restrained detainee with kicks and baton strikes, as they re-enacted Rodney King's arrest. We can all agree on that.

Chauvin was clearly an a$$hole, was he racist too? Possibly but I wouldn't call him that. I think what's more likely is that when he confronted his black suspect, he focked up like these guys did.

As for Michael Brown, even Eric Holder concluded that he committed suicide by cop. 

1 minute ago, Engorgeous George said:

I am all for reasoned advancements in policing.  I stand firmly opposed to idiots seeking insane procedures in policing, let demanding they learn to shoot to cripple rather than kill.  That makes good t.v. and movies but it is bad policy.,

The biggest problem is that the "fixes" people like Tim would introduce will actually make the problem worse, which fuels their mantra that police bad.  They create a self fulfilling and perpetuating narrative.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strike said:

The biggest problem is that the "fixes" people like Tim would introduce will actually make the problem worse, which fuels their mantra that police bad.  They create a self fulfilling and perpetuating narrative.

You and I are in very substantial agreement.

Strike is on fire in this thread.

31 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I back up my assertions all the time. And when I’m wrong, as happens sometimes, I acknowledge that too. 

You’re wrong about 99% of your posts about the police and law, yet you’re digging your heels in.  I mean, you’re trying to draw conclusions from how long it takes to arrest white cops which flies in the face of due process and legal procedures.  You’re obviously trolling or emotionally invested to the point of delusion.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

On the topic of institutional or systemic racism, I think we need to define those terms more clearly. 

Just pick your favorite definition from the urban dictionary.

14 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

Is it racist to say I’m not surprised it was a sporting good store?

This is nowhere near any protests of any kind, nor is there even the slightest indication it was related to them. He just put a video of a robbery and falsely claimed it’s a response to the police killing. Andy Ngo is, as always, completely full of himself, and therefore, full of crap.

This store is 18 miles away from downtown Memphis where the protests were going on.

The actual protests, meanwhile, were completely peaceful.

What does it say about Andy and those who re-post this nonsense that they are more worried about this unrelated robbery than a man beaten to death by police? 

• Haha 1

Only Liberals can find racism when 5 black cops kill a black man, with the Chief of Police being a black woman, in a city that is 65% black. 😆

The good news is that Gen Z thinks Liberals are focking idiots.

I do think pulling the "systemic racist" card against five black cops was a mistake as it expose the naked absurdity of the claim.

What happened here is that when the proponents were served up a nice juicy helping of unjustifiable police brutality caught on video, the best since George Floyd, they just couldn't help themselves. It's always about race with these people, so let's play pretend.

At least when tagging Chauvin, there's a chance he's not just a heartless a$$hole, but also a racist heartless a$$holes. Since nobody wants to go to bat for the guy by parsing the details, they can get away with it. Convincing us these cops are racist is a far more difficult feat.

Good thing it’s cold. If this were July, fuhgedabouitit. 

11 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I do think pulling the "systemic racist" card against five black cops was a mistake as it expose the naked absurdity of the claim.

Or it shows that people don’t really understand what systemic racism means. It means the system is rigged against black people, and the cops are possibly just pawns in that system.

Now, whether systemic racism is as bad as many claim is up for debate. Whether it was the cause of this murder is up for debate. But when one argues that the system itself is racist, the fact that some police are black doesn’t contradict that.

4 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

What happened here is that when the proponents were served up a nice juicy helping of unjustifiable police brutality caught on video, the best since George Floyd, they just couldn't help themselves. It's always about race with these people, so let's play pretend.

At least when tagging Chauvin, there's a chance he's not just a heartless a$$hole, but also a racist heartless a$$holes. Since nobody wants to go to bat for the guy by parsing the details, they can get away with it.

Police departments across the country should prosecute people who are running around claiming there is systemic racism controlling their departments. 

Massive law suits against reporters, politicians, celebrities like Bronbron, school systems, and anyone else standing up and spewing that garbage. Make them prove it or throw them in prison. And a few bad or unqualified characters in the police departments across the US is not any more proof that the police are systemically racist than saying clowns are all murderous child killing psychos like John Wayne Gacy was.

Let's take all the murderers across the US and apply to their fields and say those fields are all representative of murderous businesses. And everyone in those fields are all systemic killers. How about we do that?

33 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Just pick your favorite definition from the urban dictionary.

I forget what phrase I accurately defined via Urban Dictionary for you, but, nicely played I guess.  :cheers: 

8 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Or it shows that people don’t really understand what systemic racism means. It means the system is rigged against black people, and the cops are possibly just pawns in that system.

Now, whether systemic racism is as bad as many claim is up for debate. Whether it was the cause of this murder is up for debate. But when one argues that the system itself is racist, the fact that some police are black doesn’t contradict that.

And lo and behold, you DO have an opinion of the definition of "systemic."  What is it?  Pro tip:  Don't use the word "system" to define "systemic."  TIA!

I bet Memphis was a whole lot nicer and peaceful, for everyone, before liberals got a hold of it. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, craftsman said:

Police departments across the country should prosecute people who are running around claiming there is systemic racism controlling their departments. 

Massive law suits against reporters, politicians, celebrities like Bronbron, school systems, and anyone else standing up and spewing that garbage. Make them prove it or throw them in prison. And a few bad or unqualified characters in the police departments across the US is not any more proof that the police are systemically racist than saying clowns are all murderous child killing psychos like John Wayne Gacy was.

Let's take all the murderers across the US and apply to their fields and say those fields are all representative of murderous businesses. And everyone in those fields are all systemic killers. How about we do that?

Any law passed to "throw them in prison" for claiming a Police Department engaged in systemic racism would be found to be unconstitutional (even if the claim was proven to be false).

Also, Police Departments, as with all public entities, can't be sue for defamation. 

4 minutes ago, squistion said:

Any law passed to "throw them in prison" for claiming a Police Department engaged in systemic racism would be found to be unconstitutional (even if the claim was proven to be false).

Also, Police Departments, as with all public entities, can't be sue for defamation. 

People can be sued for defamation. CNN was also sued for defamation. Open the flood gates on all you retards. 

There are a lot more dirty dealings going on at BLM headquarters than any police department in the country. :lol:

Just now, craftsman said:

People can be sued for defamation. CNN was also sued for defamation. Open the flood gates on all you retards. 

Yes, people, such an individual police officer can sue for defamation. They have sued and won in some instances. However, a Police Department can not sue for defamation. And CNN is a private company not a public entity, so they can be sued.

6 minutes ago, squistion said:

Yes, people, such an individual police officer can sue for defamation. They have sued and won in some instances. However, a Police Department can not sue for defamation. And CNN is a private company not a public entity, so they can be sued.

You act like laws and procedures and such can't ever change or modified. As long as they make a grandiose statement and bring as many people down as they can for all this bullshlt, that's a good start. 

May have been posted, I'm not interested in reading this entire thread.

Lebron taking some heat for this, rare for him but, he's spot on. Apparently, he had a moment of clarity.

Just now, Reality said:

May have been posted, I'm not interested in reading this entire thread.

Lebron taking some heat for this, rare for him but, he's spot on.

Worst 

3 minutes ago, craftsman said:

You act like laws and procedures and such can't ever change or modified. As long as they make a grandiose statement and bring as many people down as they can for all this bullshlt, that's a good start. 

A police department locking up people who make the claim they have engaged in systemic racism would clearly be a First Amendment violation and would never survive any legal challenge. That will a change or modification we will never see. 

40 minutes ago, dogcows said:

OK. So the system is rigged against black people and these cops are part of the system. You do realize that it is affirmative action advocates who staff, set up, and run the system? Beyond the affirmative action people who run the system, in various offices great and small, a lot of other black people, together with people of goodwill of every races are part of the system too.

A total of 331 cops were shot across the country in 2022, a 6% increase from 2020, according to a new accounting from the National Fraternal Order of Police. Of officers who were shot in the line of duty, 62 were killed, up 32% from 2020, the police group said.

Published by Statista Research Department, Jan 2, 2023
 Sadly, the trend of fatal police shootings in the United States seems to only be increasing, with a total 1,060 civilians having been shot, 220 of whom were Black, as of December 20, 2022. In 2021, there were 1,055 fatal police shootings, and in 2020 there were 1,020 fatal shootings. 

4 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

You didn’t type that, you copied and pasted without providing the link.  That’s plagiarism. Grow up. . 

I’m on my cell phone which doesn’t have the quotes option. I thought it was quite clear that I was posting a quote because of the font and terminology. I wasn’t trying to pass that off as originally stemming from my brain. 

I believe society, at least when I was growing up and previously, placed all people in a hierarchy and there are things that give you more value and less value:

white skin is valued over black skin

male is valued over female

highly educated more value than less educated

having wealth more value than poverty

tall over short

athletic build over fat 

European over non European

African heritage on the bottom 

Default negative traits are assigned to anyone that is black or visibly African (in ancestry) until it is proven that they have positive traits

Default positive traits assigned to whites or visibly European (in ancestry) until it is proven they have negative traits

There is a knowing that black is not valued by default in this country, it is pervasive. Killing or harming or disrespecting a black person does not have the same repercussions as a white person. Everyone, including other blacks treat blacks poorly. Blacks are racist against other blacks. Blacks hate each other and themselves. Unfortunately. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Now do Affirmative Action, legislated discrimination against white males.

2 minutes ago, peenie said:

There is a knowing that black is not valued by default in this country, it is pervasive. Killing or harming or disrespecting a black person does not have the same repercussions as a white person. Everyone, including other blacks treat blacks poorly. Blacks are racist against other blacks. Blacks hate each other and themselves. Unfortunately. 

Two simple questions Peenie.  Do you consider yourself racist against other blacks?  Do you hate them and yourself? 

Just now, Strike said:

One simple question Peenie.  Do you consider yourself racist against other blacks?  Do you hate them and yourself? 

Yes. I think it is programmed in me. 

3 minutes ago, peenie said:

I’m on my cell phone which doesn’t have the quotes option. I thought it was quite clear that I was posting a quote because of the font and terminology. I wasn’t trying to pass that off as originally stemming from my brain. 

I believe society, at least when I was growing up and previously, placed all people in a hierarchy and there are things that give you more value and less value:

tall over short

athletic build over fat 

Default negative traits are assigned to anyone that is black or visibly African (in ancestry) until it is proven that they have positive traits

Default positive traits assigned to whites or visibly European (in ancestry) until it is proven they have negative traits

You forgot the most common one of all and it crosses race, nationality, gender, etc. Beauty or Ugly. Everyone does it.

Yes. I think it is programmed in me. 

Wow.  I feel sad for you. 

1 minute ago, Baker Boy said:

You forgot the most common one of all and it crosses race, nationality, gender, etc. Beauty or Ugly. Everyone does it.

I left that one out! Yes, beauty is a great characteristic that gives a person a great deal of value. 

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

Wow.  I feel sad for you. 

Feel sad for yourself. I am aware and try my best not to be a victim of it.

10 minutes ago, peenie said:

tall over short

athletic build over fat 

This would actually make a good thread in it's own right.  Forget the racist stuff.  That's completely uninteresting and something we discuss all the time in many contexts already.  But I'll absolutely admit I value certain things in people that in some ways does elevate them.  I'm not going to clutter up this thread with a tangent but it would be a good thread me thinks.

Feel sad for yourself. I am aware and try my best not to be a victim of it.

I have no reason to feel sad for myself.  I don't have the racist shortcomings you apparently do. 

26 minutes ago, squistion said:

A police department locking up people who make the claim they have engaged in systemic racism would clearly be a First Amendment violation and would never survive any legal challenge. That will a change or modification we will never see. 

First amendment? You can't just make up lies and always get away with it. Plenty of people and companies have been sued for slander and lost.