Baker Boy

Black History Month

32 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Why would a bottle of syrup be racist?

From the above link:

"While Mrs. Butterworth might give off granny vibes, many have criticized the bottle shape as reminiscent of the “mammy” stereotype. Some claim that the Mrs. Butterworth character is based on the actor Butterfly McQueen, best known for portraying Prissy in Gone with the Wind. However, there is no confirmation that McQueen or the mammy stereotype inspired Mrs. Butterworth’s bottle."

12 minutes ago, squistion said:

From the above link:

"While Mrs. Butterworth might give off granny vibes, many have criticized the bottle shape as reminiscent of the “mammy” stereotype. Some claim that the Mrs. Butterworth character is based on the actor Butterfly McQueen, best known for portraying Prissy in Gone with the Wind. However, there is no confirmation that McQueen or the mammy stereotype inspired Mrs. Butterworth’s bottle."

Yeah, this is what the liberals want to teach your kids. 

Focking liberal weirdos.

16 minutes ago, craftsman said:

Yeah, this is what the liberals want to teach your kids. 

Focking liberal weirdos.

That was how the bottle was perceived by some (rightfully or wrongfully) and it hasn't been suggested that is what liberals wanted to teach your kids.

Gonna need a few more months if Mooney is teaching black history. 

W. E. B. Du Bois

American sociologist, historian, author, editor, and activist who was the most important Black protest leader in the United States during the first half of the 20th century. He shared in the creation of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) in 1909 and edited The Crisis, its magazine, from 1910 to 1934. His collection of essays The Souls of Black Folk(1903) is a landmark of African American literature.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/W-E-B-Du-Bois

Mooney is printing out all the good work Baker Boy is doing here and giving it to his students to read so he can get back to posting.  

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Mooney is printing out all the good work Baker Boy is doing here and giving it to his students to read so he can get back to posting.  

You're assuming Mooney knows how to use a printer.  Bad assumption.  You've seen his work in here - that boy ain't right.

21 hours ago, squistion said:

That was how the bottle was perceived by some (rightfully or wrongfully) and it hasn't been suggested that is what liberals wanted to teach your kids.

No.   No one perceived it that way until the announcement of getting rid of it was made.  Then, those LOOKING for racism jumped on board.  Before that, the only thing people thought about Mrs. Butterworths was that it was a good syrup.  FFS.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

You're assuming Mooney knows how to use a printer.  Bad assumption.  You've seen his work in here - that boy ain't right.

I’m sure he has a TA that does all that. 

9 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

When does White History month start?

Thats the other 11 months of the year 

Just now, iam90sbaby said:

Thats the other 11 months of the year 

But it's not official like <Insert Latest Oppressed Peoples (aKa "Shiny Object") of the Day Here> is.

I want an official day. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I’m sure he has a TA that does all that. 

I think it is pretty obvious that Mooney is a TA and not a teacher.

• Haha 1

Just now, Baker Boy said:

I think it is pretty obvious that Mooney is a TA and not a teacher.

God I hope so. I still have hope. 

2 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

But it's not official like <Insert Latest Oppressed Peoples (aKa "Shiny Object") of the Day Here> is.

I want an official day. 

I declare September as White history month, the best month of the year. I'll have a thread up on the first

18 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I declare September as White history month, the best month of the year. I'll have a thread up on the first

Excellent!!!

I always tell our fellow liberals in here that if you replace the word "Black" with "White" in whatever rant they are saying for the day and that sounds racist then it's just as racist with the word "Black" as well.

Let's see how this plays out.  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Excellent!!!

I always tell our fellow liberals in here that if you replace the word "Black" with "White" in whatever rant they are saying for the day and that sounds racist then it's just as racist with the word "Black" as well.

Let's see how this plays out.  :thumbsup:

What do you want taught during white history month that hasn’t been taught in US history in every school in the country?

3 hours ago, Strike said:

No.   No one perceived it that way until the announcement of getting rid of it was made.  Then, those LOOKING for racism jumped on board.  Before that, the only thing people thought about Mrs. Butterworths was that it was a good syrup.  FFS.

That isn't true and it doesn't make sense they would make such an announcement with the lack of any complaints.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7079596/uncle-bens-mrs-butterworth-aunt-jemima-cream-of-wheat/

Conagra Brands also pledged on Wednesday to conduct a “complete brand and package review” of Mrs. Butterworth, which packages its syrup in a bottle shaped like a matronly woman. Critics have long described the character as a “mammy” — a racial stereotype from the American South for a subservient Black woman.

1 minute ago, squistion said:

That isn't true and it doesn't make sense they would make such an announcement with the lack of any complaints.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7079596/uncle-bens-mrs-butterworth-aunt-jemima-cream-of-wheat/

Conagra Brands also pledged on Wednesday to conduct a “complete brand and package review” of Mrs. Butterworth, which packages its syrup in a bottle shaped like a matronly woman. Critics have long described the character as a “mammy” — a racial stereotype from the American South for a subservient Black woman.

Not literally "no one."  An insignificant percentage of people.  There are always nutjobs looking for something to be outraged about, like you and Tim. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, squistion said:

Critics? 

Been using Mrs. Buttersworth since I was little and not once did I ever look at the bottle and think "wow, this is a mammy type black women" 

In fact I never looked at Mrs Butterworths as a real person, it is a plastic bottle of syrup. I just read The Mrs Buttersworth in all the TV ads was an older white women so it does not add up.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Critics? 

Been using Mrs. Buttersworth since I was little and not once did I ever look at the bottle and think "wow, this is a mammy type black women" 

In fact I never looked at Mrs Butterworths as a real person, it is a plastic bottle of syrup. I just read The Mrs Buttersworth in all the TV ads was an older white women so it does not add up.

Yep.  It's great syrup too but the snowflakes weren't having any of it.

Black History Month began as “Negro History Week,” which was created in 1926 by Carter G. Woodson, a noted African American historian, scholar, educator, and publisher. It became a month-long celebration in 1976. The month of February was chosen to coincide with the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.

You guys are so triggered. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

Critics? 

That didn't occur to me either, but I am not black and don't view things through from the same perspective that most African American do.

As I recall the Mrs. Butterworth in TV ads was a white grandmotherly type out of central casting. However, viewing a TV commercial is a different experience than walking into a market and seeing the visual of a dark shaped figure on the bottle.  

That scene in super troopers where they guzzle the syrup.  Ugh.  

1 hour ago, squistion said:

That didn't occur to me either, but I am not black and don't view things through from the same perspective that most African American do.

As I recall the Mrs. Butterworth in TV ads was a white grandmotherly type out of central casting. However, viewing a TV commercial is a different experience than walking into a market and seeing the visual of a dark shaped figure on the bottle.  

That's a bunch of BS.  You and your virtue signaling friends have been telling us EXACTLY what black people have felt and are going thru, day after day, year after year.  On this site and the previous one where you came from.

You're a democrat and you're inherently racist because you don't think black people and other people of color are smart enough to live day to day without your help and guidance.  With you Democrats, all you did was move AA and minorities from a physical plantation to a virtual one.  You absolutely think you know how black people view things.  You tell us every day.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

That's a bunch of BS.  You and your virtue signaling friends have been telling us EXACTLY what black people have felt and are going thru, day after day, year after year.  On this site and the previous one where you came from.

You're a democrat and you're inherently racist because you don't think black people and other people of color are smart enough to live day to day without your help and guidance.  With you Democrats, all you did was move AA and minorities from a physical plantation to a virtual one.  You absolutely think you know how black people view things.  You tell us every day.

:mellow:

Jeebus

3 minutes ago, squistion said:

Jeebus

It’s spot on. You won’t  see it because you get something out of it.  

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

It’s spot on. You won’t  see it because you get something out of it.  

I've gotten nothing out of this.

10 minutes ago, squistion said:

Jeebus

sorry, pal. the truth hurts but it still needs to be told.

I know you don't want to face it because of that hurt it causes you but, trust me, you'll come out better for it in the end if you take it to heart and change your racist ways.

Just now, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

sorry, pal. the truth hurts but it still needs to be told.

I know you don't want to face it because of that hurt it causes you but, trust me, you'll come out better for it in the end if you take it to heart and change your racist ways.

No. it is not the truth that I think that black people and other people of color aren't smart enough to live day to day without my help and guidance. And I would be a racist if I did.

15 minutes ago, squistion said:

No. it is not the truth that I think that black people and other people of color aren't smart enough to live day to day without my help and guidance. And I would be a racist if I did.

Yes you do.  That's not even debatable.  :dunno:

8 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Yes you do.  That's not even debatable.  :dunno:

Don't speak for me and claim that I think black people are intellectually inferior to white people, because I don't think that (but perhaps you do).

16 minutes ago, squistion said:

Don't speak for me and claim that I think black people are intellectually inferior to white people, because I don't think that (but perhaps you do).

He definitely does.  That's not even debatable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

All Democrats are inherently racist? What a nitwit.