Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Jim Cramer Tells People To Buy Silicon Valley Bank's Stock Just Before It Collapsed!

:lol:   should be put in prison

🤡

He should have called the CEO and asked him if he was cashing out before he said that. 

Do people listen to TV guys when it comes to buying stocks? I have passed over that guy's show in the past, but never really paid any attention to it. Is he known for having a good track record and just had a bad one here? I would imagine if he got everything wrong that he would have been crucified by the media by now.

The only stock I invest in is my company's stock. 10% of my salary for the last 18+ years. I get it discounted and it's been solid over the years for me. Otherwise I wouldn't know what the hell I was doing in the market. 

One of my grandfathers favorite sayings fits Cramer perfectly.

He's as worthless as teets on a boar. 

57 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

Do people listen to TV guys when it comes to buying stocks? I have passed over that guy's show in the past, but never really paid any attention to it. Is he known for having a good track record and just had a bad one here? I would imagine if he got everything wrong that he would have been crucified by the media by now.

The only stock I invest in is my company's stock. 10% of my salary for the last 18+ years. I get it discounted and it's been solid over the years for me. Otherwise I wouldn't know what the hell I was doing in the market. 

This is what I've said.  Anyone actually listening to these shucksters get what they deserve honestly.

1 hour ago, seafoam1 said:

Sarcasm?  He is notorious for always being horribly wrong

I've made money off of cramer.  

The year of nat gas (2016?), FANG, and NVDA have all been profitable.  His advice to look at regional chains going national made me invest in CMG when they IPOed even though he didn't reccommend it at the time (he changed his mind).  His macro trends are usually pretty solid. 

And sometimes he gets them wrong.  He said Bear Stearns was safe too.

1 minute ago, TimHauck said:

Sarcasm?  He is notorious for always being horribly wrong

I wouldn't know. What has he been wrong about in general?

Just now, seafoam1 said:

I wouldn't know. 

He's okay.  This is the internet, so of course they're going to cherry pick his losers.

Just now, TimHauck said:

So are you picking just the ones he was off on? Or are you being objective? 

Everyone who plays the market as a job has losses here and there. I heard Jimmy Buffet talking about his mistakes in the past. Some doozies. 

2 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

So are you picking just the ones he was off on? Or are you being objective? 

Everyone who plays the market as a job has losses here and there. I heard Jimmy Buffet talking about his mistakes in the past. Some doozies. 

Yeah.  Not recording “five o’clock somewhere” by himself when he had the chance was a mistake. 

1 minute ago, seafoam1 said:

heard Jimmy Buffet talking about his mistakes

Oracle of Margaritaville doesn't have the same ring to it.

Too many eggs in 1 basket.

2 minutes ago, nobody said:

Oracle of Margaritaville doesn't have the same ring to it.

:lol: I caught that myself after I posted but thought it was funny enough to leave it. 

Otherwise I wouldn't know what the hell I was doing in the market. 

shocker

8 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

I heard Jimmy Buffet talking about his mistakes in the past. Some doozies. 

:lol:

3 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Too many eggs in 1 basket.

10% of his salary after 18 years might not even be 1 egg

Just now, GutterBoy said:

shocker

:lol:

Why is that a shocker? I don't follow the stocks. But I would bet I have outperformed with my one work stock anything you have ever invested in. 

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

Most companies match, therefore his egg might be quite large.  This is what makes it more of a concern.

in case you didn’t know, most match is also in company stock.

Just now, Alias Detective said:

Most companies match, therefore his egg might be quite large.  This is what makes it more of a concern.

You're thinking 401K, he's likely talking ESPP, but yeah if he's smart he would have sold some and diversified, but I'm sure he hasn't.

3 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I've taken out over the years. But my stock had peaked a couple years ago and was $400 up on when I started investing in it. Steady and slow. It has dropped about $100 a share over the past couple years like the rest of the market but I'm have no reason to bail on it. I'm fully confident it will go back up. Gutterpedo just likes to talk like he's something.

2 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

Why is that a shocker? I don't follow the stocks. But I would bet I have outperformed with my one work stock anything you have ever invested in. 

Well you've shown yourself to be an absolute dim witted retard.  Also don't propose bets that you have no interest in making nor any idea if you would win.

12 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Well you've shown yourself to be an absolute dim witted retard.  Also don't propose bets that you have no interest in making nor any idea if you would win.

Yeah, I don't care about your insecure little cut downs of myself and others on this site. You have to live with you in the end. That's gotta be punishment enough. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

10% of my salary for the last 18+ years. I get it discounted and it's been solid over the years for me. Otherwise I wouldn't know what the hell I was doing in the market.

I did something similar. ESPP: 5% of my salary for 5 years, 10% for another 5, & 15% for the last 5. Money held from your check and invested at a 15% discount every 3 months. Only stipulation was that you had to hold it 2 years. The year I started, shares were trading in the mid 30s. Two years later they were in the mid 50s and I was thinking to myself, this is too damn easy. Then it happened. The CEO wanted to be one of the biggest in our sector, & acquired a French company. It was a disaster. Early in 2001 the dividend was eliminated & it briefly traded below $1.00. There was talk of chapter 11. I had quit contributing when it reached $12. Made sense at the time, but it cost me a hell of a lot of money. Luckily for me, they recovered, & when it got back up to around $15, I started the ESPP again. 

Was around $130 a year or two ago. Now it's in the low 80s. Like you, I sold some shares over the years. At one point I had close to 3000, around 1600 now. 

I also bought 800 shares in my Fidelity account late in 2001. It's my biggest gainer in that account. I also have a couple losers in that account, but much better to only show winners :) 

https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEJEBAD

3 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

:first: 

59 minutes ago, edjr said:

:first: 

Says the guy who has the same intellectual shortcomings as gutterboy.

Always looking for approval from strangers on the internet cause you can't get any at home. :first:

10 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

Says the guy who has the same intellectual shortcomings as gutterboy.

Always looking for approval from strangers on the internet cause you can't get any at home. :first:

Utoilet crapsman sdork league champion agree

1 hour ago, easilyscan said:

I did something similar. ESPP: 5% of my salary for 5 years, 10% for another 5, & 15% for the last 5. Money held from your check and invested at a 15% discount every 3 months. Only stipulation was that you had to hold it 2 years. The year I started, shares were trading in the mid 30s. Two years later they were in the mid 50s and I was thinking to myself, this is too damn easy. Then it happened. The CEO wanted to be one of the biggest in our sector, & acquired a French company. It was a disaster. Early in 2001 the dividend was eliminated & it briefly traded below $1.00. There was talk of chapter 11. I had quit contributing when it reached $12. Made sense at the time, but it cost me a hell of a lot of money. Luckily for me, they recovered, & when it got back up to around $15, I started the ESPP again. 

Was around $130 a year or two ago. Now it's in the low 80s. Like you, I sold some shares over the years. At one point I had close to 3000, around 1600 now. 

I also bought 800 shares in my Fidelity account late in 2001. It's my biggest gainer in that account. I also have a couple losers in that account, but much better to only show winners :) 

https://www.imagebam.com/view/MEJEBAD

Yeah. 10% is the max we can contribute to espp at my company. They discount for 15%. I have about 1/7 of my savings in that stock and am comfortable with it staying there right now. I like how my company adapts to the times from a business and IT perspective. I keep an eye out how they are perceived by people I know, inside and outside my company who are invested, as well as other takes from various sources around the investing world. I'm pretty confident in continuing to to keep buying now more than ever actually. But even if it didn't move much over the next year or two, I'm good with it til things get better overall. I'm looking forward to 2025 at this time to see where it sits at that time. If I see or hear something that doesn't sit right with me then I'll take action on it and feel good about it all in the end. 

Now, looking back over the years the only thing I might have done differently would have not taken as much out as I did. I've probably taken out about $70k over the years. But that's not that much really given the time frame. I've been lucky I guess getting the job I did. 

I did some small other investing for fun but kept just breaking even and decided to give it up as I'm not all that into it. I'm not a finance guy. I have someone who manages my 401k and someone else do my taxes. Paying the extra few bucks for that is totally worth it to me. I don't want the added stress in life. 

• Thanks 1

At this point, I’d be more surprised if he hits than when he misses. Obviously, he doesn’t get publicity for doing his job(good predictions), but this guy has been so wrong about so much and in huge ways. I can’t imagine why people would look to him for advice. 

1 hour ago, avoiding injuries said:

At this point, I’d be more surprised if he hits than when he misses. Obviously, he doesn’t get publicity for doing his job(good predictions), but this guy has been so wrong about so much and in huge ways. I can’t imagine why people would look to him for advice. 

Some background. I guess he was really good at one point prior to the whole television show.

https://financhill.com/blog/investing/is-jim-cramer-any-good

Jim Cramer’s track record as leader of Cramer Levy Partners was impressive – so much so that it made him a top pick for the media projects he got involved with after leaving the firm. Since then, it has been more challenging to track Jim Cramer’s record because of the volume of stocks he discusses.

Researchers with the Wharton School attempted to pin down Jim Cramer’s track record in a study that was published in 2017.

When they examined Cramer’s Action Alerts PLUS portfolio from 2000 through 2017, they determined that it underperformed the S&P 500. During the period in question, Cramer’s portfolio delivered annualized returns of 4.08 percent, while the S&P saw annual gains of 7.07 percent.

Does that mean viewers should avoid Jim Cramer’s stock picks? Not necessarily – there are characteristics of the Action Alerts PLUS portfolio structure that don’t apply to average investors. For example, the portfolio is owned by Cramer’s charitable trust, which means dividends and distributions are used for donations to non-profit organizations. They are not reinvested.

Cramer’s fans point out that they have made money by acting on his stock recommendations, and his critics highlight the times he has missed the mark.

Some of Cramer’s most publicized missteps include a recommendation to buy Cathie Wood’s ARKK ETF just before it lost roughly half of its value. He then recommended shorting the ARKK ETF days before it rose by more than 13 percent.

12 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

Yeah. 10% is the max we can contribute to espp at my company. They discount for 15%. I have about 1/7 of my savings in that stock and am comfortable with it staying there right now. I like how my company adapts to the times from a business and IT perspective. I keep an eye out how they are perceived by people I know, inside and outside my company who are invested, as well as other takes from various sources around the investing world. I'm pretty confident in continuing to to keep buying now more than ever actually. But even if it didn't move much over the next year or two, I'm good with it til things get better overall. I'm looking forward to 2025 at this time to see where it sits at that time. If I see or hear something that doesn't sit right with me then I'll take action on it and feel good about it all in the end. 

Now, looking back over the years the only thing I might have done differently would have not taken as much out as I did. I've probably taken out about $70k over the years. But that's not that much really given the time frame. I've been lucky I guess getting the job I did. 

I did some small other investing for fun but kept just breaking even and decided to give it up as I'm not all that into it. I'm not a finance guy. I have someone who manages my 401k and someone else do my taxes. Paying the extra few bucks for that is totally worth it to me. I don't want the added stress in life. 

I'm gonna tell you a story as to why you should NOT keep a good chunk of your savings/retirement in your company's stock.  I worked for a large fortune 500 company called Marsh And Mclennan.  Their policy at the time I worked there was that the only investment option you had for your 401k was in their stock.  Which was great for the first 7-8 years i was there.  The stock did well and even split 3 times during that time period.  But then it turned out they were doing some shady sh*t and got sued by Elliott Spitzer:

https://www.thestreet.com/markets/spitzer-charges-marsh-mclennan-in-insurance-racket-10187969

Their stock lost 50% of it's value almost overnight.  Fortunately, I was younger at the time.  Still cost me a decent chunk of change but I know of higher level people there who lost a LOT of money due to that policy.  Nowadays, Marsh has a more diversified set of investment options for their 401k plan.   And I've never been comfortable having a significant percentage of my portfolio with a single stock since.  I'm actually a little p*ssed at myself for getting more than I'd like invested in stock with my most recent previous employer because the stock hasn't been doing great the last couple of years but they're in the middle of a merger that will pay me a nice premium on the stock when it goes through but that won't be for another 6-12 months.  I hate being forced to hold investments I'd rather not. 

Now is actually the PERFECT time to buy their stock. Government isn’t gonna let them fail so buy it while it’s cheap. It’ll go back up in a few years to where you’ll make a pretty nice profit