Mike FF Today

Round Eight - Eleven Commentary - July Mock 2023

I'm probably safe for a while, but stuck in an all day meeting in our Puerto Rico office. Could someone text at 317-586-0589 if it happens to hit me again. Thanks!

• Like 1

thanks for the heads up Shovelheadt

1 hour ago, shovelheadt said:

I'm probably safe for a while, but stuck in an all day meeting in our Puerto Rico office. Could someone text at 317-586-0589 if it happens to hit me again. Thanks!

I want a Puerto Rico Office. 🙄

• Haha 1

yeah, that poor guy is someplace tropical but hes forced to spend time in the office.

such torture.

sigh, dare to dream......

2 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

Back on! Ralphster edited his 8.01 pick to Khalil Herbert.

I shouldn’t have said anything. I wanted Herbert. 

3 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

"and Kamara's status is up in the air."

😡 TAKE THAT BACK! 😡

ICEMAN

Minnesota ranked 3rd in pass attempts last year and they lost their RB1.  Adam Thielen took his 107 targets to Carolina.  I believe Jordan Addison is better than Thielen, so he should be able to at least top Thielen's WR30 ranking last year.  I'm good with that from my WR4.  

These are the rounds I've been struggling in.  I need the RB depth but I like the WRs a lot more.  Maybe this is telling me to invest early on RBs and wait on WRs.

11 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

These are the rounds I've been struggling in.  I need the RB depth but I like the WRs a lot more.  Maybe this is telling me to invest early on RBs and wait on WRs.

this was partly my philosophy in the June Mock, though I went a little overboard with it. My intention was to go RB-RB, which I did but at the same time did not expect the RB talent to still be there at 3.10 and 4.02 in a standard scoring format. 

That said, there were still WR's I liked a lot when I took my first.... in round 7 :lol:

participating in mocks like these has , at the moment, led me to feel like my preference is to go WR/RB or WR/WR then go heavier on RB for the next few rounds (with QB and TE where the value dictates) and then turn my attention back to WR by rounds 8/9 for my #3 WR and on. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

this was partly my philosophy in the June Mock, though I went a little overboard with it. My intention was to go RB-RB, which I did but at the same time did not expect the RB talent to still be there at 3.10 and 4.02 in a standard scoring format. 

That said, there were still WR's I liked a lot when I took my first.... in round 7 :lol:

participating in mocks like these has , at the moment, led me to feel like my preference is to go WR/RB or WR/WR then go heavier on RB for the next few rounds (with QB and TE where the value dictates) and then turn my attention back to WR by rounds 8/9 for my #3 WR and on. 

I've nearly always gone strong on the RB in the past.   Last draft I committed to taking the top WR on the board if he fell to me and I did.

didnt work out for me but if my guy (Kupp) had stayed healthy I would have finished in the top 3 or 4 I suspect.   so not a terrible result

just giving everyone the heads up....

anyone drafting should be aware of this piece of information.

I just saw the video on Burrow.  Does not look good.  Any time you see someone in pain like that without being contacted is not good.

• Like 1

I just talked with Shovel, he’ll pick in an hour.

just make sure he knows the news about Burrow.   this affects him more than the rest of us.   

for a fair draft we want him to have full disclosure on this.

Was very tempted to wait another round (technically two) on a QB as I was the last to take one.  But knowing the history of the league (thanks for the clue in robb), two to three backup QB's usually go in rounds 9-10.  There were very few QB's that I liked left, so I grabbed my favorite and the one that I think has the most upside.  Geno was QB6 last year.  With a year under his belt in the system and the addition of another fantastic weapon, I'm hopeful he can produce similar numbers.

7 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

just make sure he knows the news about Burrow.   this affects him more than the rest of us.   

for a fair draft we want him to have full disclosure on this.

He knows about it. Even in Purto Rico!

Probably would have waited for my 2nd QB except for obvious reasons now. Initial reports I'm seeing are calf strain, which is best case scenario I guess. But I've seen positive reports in the past turn out to be disasters. This guy can't catch a break....COVID, knee rehab, appendectomy, and now this. 

Thomas was good in three games last year. With an upgrade at QB, it’s just a matter of health. A big if… but if healthy, I think there is a pretty solid floor here. 

45 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Thomas was good in three games last year. With an upgrade at QB, it’s just a matter of health. A big if… but if healthy, I think there is a pretty solid floor here. 

if healthy he has a pretty high ceiling as well.

Took Carr at 10.06.  was hoping to wait another round for a second QB but the injury to Burrow and the subsequent run on QB has made me rethink that.   all the QB I had been eyeing up as a second QB went and Carr was the last one I really liked.

not a bad consolation honestly,  hes moved to a team with a lot of playmakers at WR and RB and the Saints have what might be one of the easier schedules so I'm anticipating good numbers for Carr.  not likely a career best but at least as good as what hes historically done in Oakland/vegas with inferior talent to work with (other than at TE)

i was hoping the run on chiefs would continue 

@worm hell of a steal on Tua as a QB2. Sure, he might be one hit away from retiring but the upside is a top 5 QB. 

It's definitely a new era for fantasy football.  I remember when I wouldn't draft my starting QB until the 8th/9th round and now we have 3 teams with their backup QBs already.

Yeah I wasn't expecting Tua to come back to me there, especially after that run on QB's.

19 hours ago, Ray_T said:

just giving everyone the heads up....

anyone drafting should be aware of this piece of information.

Sounds like it was just a calf strain and he'll be fine.  Good news.

Was eyeing Tua for this pick as I was not expecting six teams to grab a back up QB in front of me (very pleased I did not pass on Geno last round).  When he went I was satisfied with getting JSN to stack with Geno.  Thanks, again, Guru.  Decided to gamble on what I believe is either going to be a home run pick or a major whiff.  He's been labeled by some as the most athletic QB ever and looked like Superman at the combine.  He has the coach who developed Herbert and Hurts guiding him.  But he is extremely raw and very well might not start the year.  I think, and am hopeful, that when he does take the reins he'll play to his potential.   

28 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It's definitely a new era for fantasy football.  I remember when I wouldn't draft my starting QB until the 8th/9th round and now we have 3 teams with their backup QBs already.

Even as someone who usually waits, I agree. I used to be able to comfortably wait until rounds 8/9/10.... now it seems to be rounds 5/6. This obviously depends on my target... I think when Mahomes was my main redraft target his first season as the starter, I was able to wait a little longer. Even longer when I had Dak pegged his rookie season.... but last year with Hurts, round 6 was the longest I could wait and it seems the same this year with Fields/Lawrence. 

I may start to give some thought to stacking Tua with someone net yet drafted which might allow me to wait until round 8 or 9 🤔

I decided to add more depth to my WR and Davis does that for me.  The next pick was tough though.  I wanted another RB but it's hard to find a good one right now.  I'm taking the risk on Allgeier.  He was great last year and if Robinson doesn't live up to the hype, I know Allgeier can handle it.  It also took away Robinson's handcuff.

Went back and forth between Gabe Davis and JJSS, but bye weeks were the tiebreaker.

CMC hasn't exactly been the picture of health. If he injury bug bites again, Mitchell could be one of those late round difference makers that win leagues for you.

22 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I decided to add more depth to my WR and Davis does that for me.  The next pick was tough though.  I wanted another RB but it's hard to find a good one right now.  I'm taking the risk on Allgeier.  He was great last year and if Robinson doesn't live up to the hype, I know Allgeier can handle it.  It also took away Robinson's handcuff.

Thanks Hawkeye!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

CMC hasn't exactly been the picture of health. If he injury bug bites again, Mitchell could be one of those late round difference makers that win leagues for you.

Mitchell was on the short list for my next pick.  Even with CMC healthy he can still make some plays, but yeah he's one of the top handcuffs IMO.