LaChup

UPDATE: Jonathan Taylor: Asking For A Trade - New Contract Extension!

I prefer RBs with some semblance of QB play so they're not running into a stacked box over and over. I look at more than just the RB stats myself. 

He's still injured and he was not good last year, and has this hold-out/money issue. Jonathan Taylor is the only player on my Do Not Draft list. Seriously, I don't think he should be in the top 100 players in fantasy football redrafts 2023.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 9:06 PM, Gepetto said:

He's still injured and he was not good last year, and has this hold-out/money issue. Jonathan Taylor is the only player on my Do Not Draft list. Seriously, I don't think he should be in the top 100 players in fantasy football redrafts 2023.

I'm in but only if he falls a bit. He's too talented to pass up. If he magically falls to the 4th round and he's my RB2,  I gotta do it. At that point I think it's a risk worth taking. 

Boom or bust I guess. 

On 7/29/2023 at 9:10 PM, GobbleDog said:

Hold out is unlikely - Rbs don't do that anymore -  year lost, millions lost, and position devalued. No leverage.

Some birds (i respect) chirp that a Taylor holdout is more possible than most believe.  At least, way more than I thought.

Name to remember Rb 78 Evan Hull - Colts 5th rd pick out of Northwestern.  Listed 4th on depth, but that's not set in stone. Reportedly good receiver with great vision. Some think had he played in the SEC, he'd have gone 2-3 rds earlier. Combine results were similar to Bijan Robinson in every category. He's not being drafted so if this lotto ticket cashes you'll look like the greatest ff genius of all time.  :ninja:

I just don’t understand what JT gains from a holdout.  The market for a RB just isn’t what he wants to get paid…Indy or anywhere else…and not playing doesn’t help that case.  Especially coming off of an injury year.  He needs to fire his agent.

I think Taylor’s issue is both a new contract and disrespect from the teams owner.  Taylor just isn’t a happy camper, probably needs a diaper change and a binkie.  No way will I draft him , I don’t have a DND list, but I’ll pass when it’s his time up.  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

I think Taylor’s issue is both a new contract and disrespect from the teams owner.  Taylor just isn’t a happy camper, probably needs a diaper change and a binkie.  No way will I draft him , I don’t have a DND list, but I’ll pass when it’s his time up.  

But if he wants a new contract, from whomever that may be, he's gotta play. Sitting out, faking injury, making excuses is fine but it's not going to help him achieve his ultimate goal, it's going to hurt him. Draft him at a discount and if he comes back at all you're sitting pretty for the playoffs. I may be overzealous but that's how I'm approaching it. 

43 minutes ago, League Champion said:

But if he wants a new contract, from whomever that may be, he's gotta play. Sitting out, faking injury, making excuses is fine but it's not going to help him achieve his ultimate goal, it's going to hurt him. Draft him at a discount and if he comes back at all you're sitting pretty for the playoffs. I may be overzealous but that's how I'm approaching it. 

I agree, it’s not a good look for him, don’t see what he gains.  But I think it’s pride.  

5 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I agree, it’s not a good look for him, don’t see what he gains.  But I think it’s pride.  

I would hope he's smart enough to not go full Leveon. But you're right, his pride is going to hurt him here. 

3 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

HA! 😆

hey if someone is willing to pay that much, they can sign Kareem Hunt to a 1 year deal at a fraction of the cost for this season, and then draft someone next year.

if Hunt performs they fill a need elsewhere.

feels like a win-win if they can make the deal

Sorta indicates Colts see the hold-out threat as more than just a bluff.  So will any team trade a 1st rd pick for a Rb who'll demand a long-term deal.?. Otherwise, it's just a one year rental for a 1st rounder.

If he does get traded, hope it's sooner rather than later.  Denver or Cincinnati could use help. Surprising neither has signed Hunt who won't require a long term deal.

20 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

HA! 😆

Highly doubt they get any takers.

So what does JT do if no trade materializes?

Also saw that Cleveland restructured Garrett and now has $34M in cap space and are actually under the mandatory minimums.  Coincidence?  We shall see.  Doesn't make much sense with Chubb on the roster (but a of of moves that don't make sense get made - and this is the Browns after all).  Maybe they prefer JT and would send Chubb to the Colts?  Or maybe JT would fill the Hunt role.

I don’t know their cap situation but I think the Bears would be a good fit.  Add maybe the best under 25 RB in the league to a backfield that looks, at best, like RBBC right now.  Fields/Taylor/Moore would be a heckuva offensive trio to build on.

Saw a couple of speculations on Twitter about the Browns & Dolphins.  Dolphins make sense…Browns, not so much with Chubb.

I think the Vikings would be a very good fit.   I just hope it happens really quick, my two drafts are coming up after this weekend.  

not including the possible addition of Kareem Hunt, who then becomes the RB currently on the roster to own in Indy? Zach Moss? Deon Jackson? Evan Hull? 

Hunt would be a good fit with them Colts.  

1 hour ago, bfros said:

not including the possible addition of Kareem Hunt, who then becomes the RB currently on the roster to own in Indy? Zach Moss? Deon Jackson? Evan Hull? 

if the deal happens it will be Kareem Hunt.

but the reality is... I dont think the deal happens.

I suspect this is about money.   my guess is JT asked for a pile of money.    he was offered market value and balked at it.   told ownership he felt disrespected.   Ownership says.... if you think you can get more money we will green light a trade.   go seek one and if you can find one we will make it happen.

so if JT finds he cant do better elsewhere, he will sign with the Colts and all this will have been for naught

Of course money is an issue, but I think in this situation there is a lot of pride that was hurt.  

If Miami is gonna make a deal then one would have to assume Mostert or Wilson would be involved.  Both on short term deals that won’t take up much cap space for Indy and could easily move on from them.  
Vikings are interesting situation, they have Jefferson to pay and also TJ.  Have a ton of space though so could happen.  
Is there a contender type team out there that may not be interested in extending JT but trading for him for a one year rent a player type deal??  
Eagles normally would be a team to consider but likely not with the off season moves and current situation.   Jerrah Jones maybe??  Bills??  Idk probably not in todays nfl… 

1 hour ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

If Miami is gonna make a deal then one would have to assume Mostert or Wilson would be involved.  Both on short term deals that won’t take up much cap space for Indy and could easily move on from them.  
Vikings are interesting situation, they have Jefferson to pay and also TJ.  Have a ton of space though so could happen.  
Is there a contender type team out there that may not be interested in extending JT but trading for him for a one year rent a player type deal??  
Eagles normally would be a team to consider but likely not with the off season moves and current situation.   Jerrah Jones maybe??  Bills??  Idk probably not in todays nfl… 

I dont know.  the Vikings just got rid of one high paid RB.   I cant see them going out to get another.   if they were gonna do this why didnt they just run with Dalvin Cook?   I know JT has better stats, but he was also running behind a better line in Indy.   The one year he had a huge year, Indy was considered to have the best O line in Pro football.

if they go get him they will be in the exact same position they were in with Cook.

Miami feels like a better fit.   They need a playmaker at RB.  not sure how their cap space is, but talent wise, they can use him.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

Miami feels like a better fit.   They need a playmaker at RB.  not sure how their cap space is, but talent wise, they can use him.

"Talent wise" every team could use Taylor. But it doesn't work for my Dolphins.

Goodell took our '23 first rd pick (tampering) along with our '24 third rd pick, and we traded our fourth rd pick.  So giving up a first next year doesn't seem smart. Then there's the money. Hill's cap hit next year blows up to $31 mill. If Tua plays well, he'll be signed to a giant long-term deal. And there's some defensive players who are about to become very expensive.

We'd be way better off just signing Hunt to a 1 year deal.

19 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

So giving up a first next year doesn't seem smart. Then there's the money. Hill's cap hit next year blows up to $31 mill. If Tua plays well, he'll be signed to a giant long-term deal. And there's some defensive players who are about to become very expensive.

Just because it doesnt seem smart doesnt mean it wont happen.

I've seen plenty of stupid moves by multiple teams (including your Phins) that I didnt think were all that smart.   but I guarantee you... smart or not if someone at the top thinks this move gives them a good shot at a superbowl they will take that shot.

Just like with the Vikings, it might not seem smart, doesn’t mean it won’t happen, I think Hunt or Taylor would be  a big upside for the Vikings, I’m just not all that sure that Mattison is a true rb1.   

31 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Just like with the Vikings, it might not seem smart, doesn’t mean it won’t happen, I think Hunt or Taylor would be  a big upside for the Vikings, I’m just not all that sure that Mattison is a true rb1.   

well, if the Vikings bring in a RB we will know that they agree with you.

but I think they have committed to Mattison for at least one season as starter.

Mattison will be a fine starter for the Vikings.

Jonathan Taylor needs to put on his big boy pants and play for the Colts. No team should trade for him and the Colts should not come down on their trade demands. 

Last run for the Vikings with Cousins if they want to sniff the super bowl lol, they need an upgrade over fine at rb1.  Taylor and Hunt would do just that.  

Thanks. 

16 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Last run for the Vikings with Cousins if they want to sniff the super bowl lol, they need an upgrade over fine at rb1.  Taylor and Hunt would do just that.  

Thanks. 

They dumped Dalvin Cook, flat out cut him, because they don't want to pay starter money at the RB position.They are not trading for and paying Jonathan Taylor. I could see them signing Hunt, they probably should.

1 minute ago, Gepetto said:

They dumped Dalvin Cook, flat out cut him, because they don't want to pay starter money at the RB position.They are not trading for and paying Jonathan Taylor. I could see them signing Hunt, they probably should.

Either one is an upgrade over Mattison. 

Thanks. 

Just now, weepaws said:

Either one is an upgrade over Mattison. 

Thanks. 

Agreed. I'm no Mattison believer but he does function in the Vikings offense and they can still make the playoffs with him as their starter.

2 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Mattison will be a fine starter for the Vikings.

Jonathan Taylor needs to put on his big boy pants and play for the Colts. No team should trade for him and the Colts should not come down on their trade demands. 

I don’t think anyone will trade for him, but if they wanted to then why not? I have no animosity for JT

6 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I don’t think anyone will trade for him, but if they wanted to then why not? I have no animosity for JT

I just don't think they will b/c of how they handled Dalvin Cook at that position.

If the Vikings think that Taylor could be the missing piece, they will try and get.  Just because the Vikings didn’t want to pay Cook, doesn’t mean they might not want to pay Taylor.  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

If the Vikings think that Taylor could be the missing piece, they will try and get.  Just because the Vikings didn’t want to pay Cook, doesn’t mean they might not want to pay Taylor.  

true.  any team who feels someone is the missing piece will move heaven and earth to get that piece.

The larger issue is the Defense needs another playmaker.    The offense hasnt actually been the problem for this team the last year or two.

The defense issue should have been addressed by now, Taylor is available now.  And so is Hunt.  

This is great for Anthony Richardson. He's going score every one of their touchdowns and run for 1300+ yards. He'll have to. 

Who else is going to do it?