Mike FF Today

Ezekiel Elliott Expected to Sign with New England

Dang. I was hoping to snag the biggest gift in the entire draft - Rhamondre Stevenson late 2nd. Time to reevaluate.

Zeke does it all too - run, receptions, and goal line work. Ugh.

49 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Dang. I was hoping to snag the biggest gift in the entire draft - Rhamondre Stevenson late 2nd. Time to reevaluate.

Zeke does it all too - run, pass, and goal line work. Ugh.

He's mostly gonna do the most devastating thing to a feature back that can be done, vulture TDs...

On the flipside, Zeke has all the makings of an excellent PPR goal line RB. He's there to pass block too, and he is good at catching dumpoff passes. So he could be an excellent RB to stash on the bench for depth or a flex option

F this move, I’m pissed.  

1.  This moves wipes out about 70% of my mocks.  All the hard labor I invested into those mocks.  

2.  Now what , is Stevenson a rb3 .5 ppr, and full ppr.  And right now about two weeks away from ff draft #1.  

Darn it.  

• Haha 1

Be interesting how far Stevenson falls by draft day... probably one full round, so late 3rd/early 4th.?.  I'm still interested, but man this one hurt. Thought I had an undervalued gem all to myself. 

And there's still Hunt, Cook and Fournette out there waiting to mess up more teams. (though I doubt Fournette ever plays again)

If you need a yard, Zeke's your guy! I think he had 20 attempts last year where the team needed a yard. He got it 19x! But that's about it. He has little left. He might just be the oldest 28 year old ever!

I'd put the number at 5-8 TDs on the year. All at 2 yards of less. I'd be surprised if he passes 300 rush yards.

Stevenson will still be THE guy. But instead of the 2nd round, he's maybe a third now. Still a great #2 RB, just might not be the 1 we might have hoped for.

• Like 1

A referendum on Strong, Taylor and Harris (backup RBs), really. None of them must’ve stepped up to the plate to be the #2 option 

This might be more about the depth behind Stevenson.  Certainly takes some of the shine off of grabbing Stevenson in the 2nd, but could be a steal if he falls to the 3rd or 4th.  Honestly, Zeke wasn't looking that good last year.  If he was all that, I don't think the Pats (or any other team) would wait this long to sign him and there are many vets who fail in the "Patriot Way".  Still a risk, but I don't think I would overreact.  BB is probably just f'n with all of us.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, polecatt said:

He's mostly gonna do the most devastating thing to a feature back that can be done, vulture TDs...

On the flipside, Zeke has all the makings of an excellent PPR goal line RB. He's there to pass block too, and he is good at catching dumpoff passes. So he could be an excellent RB to stash on the bench for depth or a flex option

Pats would have to get to the goal line first

It’s not a good move, short yardage, and passing targets, the hoody will use his new toy.  I’m dropping Stevenson down low 3rd early 4th.  I think the Zeke does more damage then most.  

2 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Pats would have to get to the goal line first

Stevenson had only 5 rushes no tds last season, so no a lot for the Zeke to take, but doesn’t leave much for Stevenson.  

Targets is were I think the Zeke will hurt Stevenson the most in ff.  

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

It’s not a good move, short yardage, and passing targets, the hoody will use his new toy.  I’m dropping Stevenson down low 3rd early 4th.  I think the Zeke does more damage then most.  

this post below I have copied from another  thread on another website.  I have yet to fact check this, but from memory at least some of this is correct.     if this guy is fully correct, you should have downgraded Stevenson even before the Zeke signing.   Quote below:

Team leader in receptions by a RB with Bill O'Brien attached to the offense:

2007 - Kevin Faulk - 47
2008 - Kevin Faulk - 58
2009 - Kevin Faulk - 37
2010 - Danny Woodhead - 34
2011 - Danny Woodhead - 18
2014 - Arian Foster - 38
2015 - Jonathan Grimes - 26
2016 - Lamar Miller - 31
2017 - Lamar Miller - 36
2018 - Lamar Miller - 25
2019 - Duke Johnson - 44
2020 - David Johnson - 33

I don't see that list and get warm and fuzzy that Stevenson will sniff 100 receptions.

That’s why I liked P Strong.    Not now.  

But do think I’ll be dropping Stevenson even lower then the 4th rd 14 team .5, and 14 team full ppr.   

I’m thinking 5th is rd, I just a feeling that the Zeke will be fired up for one really good season.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, weepaws said:

That’s why I liked P Strong.    Not now.  

But do think I’ll be dropping Stevenson even lower then the 4th rd 14 team .5, and 14 team full ppr.   

I’m thinking 5th is rd, I just a feeling that the Zeke will be fired up for one really good season.  

certainly possible.  any clue what kind of money he got on this contract?

Zeke will vulture TD's in the red zone. He will still be active both in the run game as well as in the air, something Harris was not fluent at, yet I think Harris does have receiving chops and Allen may find that too.

5 things to know about Patriots' reported deal with Ezekiel Elliott (boston.com)

contract is worth up to 6 mil.

not sure what the base salary, but assuming he plays the full season, he should get close to the 6 mil total salary.

I saw 600k signing bonus and 1.55M base salary - the rest is incentive-based, so not a huge commitment from the Pats, especially if he is not performing.

link

Details emerge on Ezekiel Elliott's contract with Patriots, and it's extremely team-friendly (msn.com)

bottom line 1.55M salary, 600k sign bonus.

1.55 mil salary drops to 1 M if he has a season ending injury before week 1 of the regular season.

so 1.6 M is guaranteed.

after that he gets 50k for every game he is on the Pats active roster.   so if he dresses for all games that's another 850k.

various bonuses for yardage.  300k if he gets 975 yards from scrimmage.  another 300k if he gets 1100 total yards.    for every 125 extra yards after this he gets another 300k (up to a max of 1475 yards)

if hes healthy and active the whole season he gets 3 M.   the rest depends how he plays.

How does that work with the cap?

If they have to set aside the cap room regardless, then they’re just being fockin cheap 

I think they are allowed overages if they exceed the cap due to bonuses but have to make it up next year.

I dont know the details of how that works  I remembered seeing a formula of sorts once.   though it is possible I'm thinking of a different sport and different pro league so I could be wrong on this.

but the way I understand it, it is within the rules.

On 8/15/2023 at 2:24 PM, Chickie said:

Zeke will vulture TD's in the red zone.

Maybe a few but it won't be enough to hurt Rhamondre's overall value. First off, they'll be in the red zone a lot more than they were last season, it's just a way better offense. And Zeke has no juice left, at all. Rhamondre is way more explosive and the clear lead back in that offense. 

You'll see Zeke in on a lot on pass pro, short yardage situations and to relieve Rhamondre. 

I'm not worried at all, in fact I think Rhamondre is way undervalued. 

• Thanks 1

Not me, I’ve dropped Stevenson down a little.  

11 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

How does that work with the cap?

If they have to set aside the cap room regardless, then they’re just being fockin cheap 

Cheap or smart?  To me the deal is essentially a tryout for a veteran back.  If it doesn't work out, the Pats limited their financial commitment (and can have room under the cap to make moves later in the season).  

39 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Not me, I’ve dropped Stevenson down a little.  

I think your overestimating Zeke at this point. He really doesn't have much left in the tank. Is be more worried about a younger, more explosive back 

Pretty much makes any New England player not draftable except their defense.

You will overpay for stevenson.   

NE RBs never tend to be Fantasy gold so...fine by me.  I'd sooner take a flyer on a promising rookie RB and hope to hit than bank on zeke for anything but a RB3 goal line vulture as was discussed. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaBeerz said:

NE RBs never tend to be Fantasy gold so...fine by me.  I'd sooner take a flyer on a promising rookie RB and hope to hit than bank on zeke for anything but a RB3 goal line vulture as was discussed. 

Ive said this many times.   in New England todays stud is tomorrows Bench warmer.   Belicheck does not like having just one RB.  he uses all the RB in the lineup which means its highly unlikely anyone will be a RB1.  

as an RB2 they may be fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ray_T said:

Ive said this many times.   in New England todays stud is tomorrows Bench warmer.   Belicheck does not like having just one RB.  he uses all the RB in the lineup which means its highly unlikely anyone will be a RB1.  

as an RB2 they may be fine.

NE has been where RBs go to die for a long long time. It's pure RBBC which is fantasy poison. I avoid the outta them and have done so for years

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DaBeerz said:

NE has been where RBs go to die for a long long time. It's pure RBBC which is fantasy poison. I avoid the outta them and have done so for years

Bill Belichick kills many careers. Look at quarterbacks, besides Brady. Ask Drew Bledsoe.

Every Cleveland Browns quarterback under his tenure, Bernie and others. This could be the year to bench Mac Jones, and put some Rando in. 

25 minutes ago, justforbeer said:

Bill Belichick kills many careers. Look at quarterbacks, besides Brady. Ask Drew Bledsoe.

Every Cleveland Browns quarterback under his tenure, Bernie and others. This could be the year to bench Mac Jones, and put some Rando in. 

TBH it feels like you're reaching on some of these criticisms of BB.

Bledsoe was amazingly non-clutch if he were good enough to retain his role he'd have kept his spot in NE, Buffalo then later Dallas.

As far as current day NE well...none of their QBS are that good so he's working with what he's got.  

4 hours ago, League Champion said:

I think your overestimating Zeke at this point. He really doesn't have much left in the tank. Is be more worried about a younger, more explosive back 

Kinda, but in my .5 ppr and my ppr I think the Zeke takes way a lot of those targets Stevenson had last season.  And a few of those 5 rushing tds.  Stevenson did had 69 rec  last season, that’s a lot of ppr and half ppr points.  I think the hoody likes to play with his toys, toss and second year rb Strong and I don’t like it.  No way can I keep Stevenson at the ranking I had him.  The Zeke has lost his running ability, but he can still catch and fall forward at times.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Zeke has lost his running ability, but he can still catch and fall forward at times.  

You're definitely right but Zeke isn't a playmaker at this point. He'll catch a few short balls but Rhamondre will be getting the meaningful targets. 

27 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Kinda, but in my .5 ppr and my ppr I think the Zeke takes way a lot of those targets Stevenson had last season.  And a few of those 5 rushing tds.  Stevenson did had 69 rec  last season, that’s a lot of ppr and half ppr points.  I think the hoody likes to play with his toys, toss and second year rb Strong and I don’t like it.  No way can I keep Stevenson at the ranking I had him.  The Zeke has lost his running ability, but he can still catch and fall forward at times.  

How far down are you dropping him in a ppr league?

1 hour ago, League Champion said:

You're definitely right but Zeke isn't a playmaker at this point. He'll catch a few short balls but Rhamondre will be getting the meaningful targets. 

That might be, but I think the hoody will get Strong more involved this season. 

1 hour ago, gridirongoofs said:

How far down are you dropping him in a ppr league?

His ADP is very early 3rd, or very late 2nd rd.  14 team league I’m going to drop him down into the 4th rd, not a big drop, so if I miss out I’m find with that.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, weepaws said:

His ADP is very early 3rd, or very late 2nd rd.  14 team league I’m going to drop him down into the 4th rd, not a big drop, so if I miss out I’m find with that.  

Rhamondre went at the end of the 3rd in a 12-teamer.  2nd in smaller leagues seems like a bit of a reach for a NE RB.  I could see it in a bigger league going sooner. I'm not saying he'd be on my DND list or anything but...I wouldn't be super enthused to grab a NE RB right now. 

3 hours ago, DaBeerz said:

Bledsoe was amazingly non-clutch if he were good enough to retain his role he'd have kept his spot in NE, Buffalo then later Dallas.

As far as current day NE well...none of their QBS are that good so he's working with what he's got.  

whats amazing is that Bledsoe was a top QB at the time he benched him for Brady.   people thought Belicheck was nuts when he benched him to play brady.    it was a brave and bold move.  one that would have gotten any number of coaches fired, but it was the right move.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

whats amazing is that Bledsoe was a top QB at the time he benched him for Brady.   people thought Belicheck was nuts when he benched him to play brady.    it was a brave and bold move.  one that would have gotten any number of coaches fired, but it was the right move.

I don't know that I fully agree with that statement, you look at the 2000 season Drew was pretty mid. He might have had the name recognition of a top QB still but stats-wise he wasn't performing at a top 10 level. I'm looking at the 2000 season as in 2001 Bledsoe only played 2 games. 

I agree i think benching him for Brady was a bold move at the time either way. But I think BB recognized Bledsoe was never going to be "clutch" when it mattered the most. NE was paying him like a top 10 and had given him that 10 year extension the same year he was benched for Brady so...you're right on that aspect. 

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/passing/2000/reg/all/passingyards/desc