Sign in to follow this  
listen2me 23

How good will the Packers be?

12 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

That's my hope. 

Love has terrible footwork and throws off balance way too much.  And it's not even in situations where it's forced, he just doesn't setup properly.  And if they haven't gotten that out of him in 3 years, not sure if it ever happens.

I can agree.  But that offense is messed up for a few reasons.  Some of these clips of OL play are downright atrocious.   They can't run the football.  And their pass catchers are 2 2nd year guys.  2 rookies.  And the top 2 TEs are rookies.  That's as inexperienced as it gets.  They threw a ball to the right side Sunday and 2 WRs were so close they were shoulder to shoulder.  Love's game is certainly inconsistent.   But that whole offense is a mess.  

Here is Jenkins thr best OL since Dave is out for the season.  Just hilariously bad.  (Not sure why embedding changed)

https://x.com/AndyHermanNFL/status/1716461270486970683?s=20

15 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

That's my hope. 

Love has terrible footwork and throws off balance way too much.  And it's not even in situations where it's forced, he just doesn't setup properly.  And if they haven't gotten that out of him in 3 years, not sure if it ever happens.

Yeah, I can't imagine that they had him for all this time and never corrected his issues and threw him into the fire.  My guess is that they figured that picking in the low teens, they weren't going to get a top flight QB prospect, so just throw Love out there and sink or swim.  If he swims, you're good... if not, you can address the problem next draft.  Wish Tampa took that route.

On 10/23/2023 at 5:13 PM, Mike Honcho said:

That's my hope. 

I might have been premature in writing the kid off, though he still needs to work on his footwork(something he knows). 

14 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

I might have been premature in writing the kid off, though he still needs to work on his footwork(something he knows). 

Im not trying to anoint him anything.  But Love is a good player.  Hes out there with guys that would make Mahomes fans say he has no one.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Im not trying to anoint him anything.  But Love is a good player.  Hes out there with guys that would make Mahomes fans say he has no one.  

Did you see his two major misses on open recievers yesterday? It happens but those were fundamental errors. 

I think he's someone who may fit well, but we need to see another year or two to know. I give him a solid B for his first year starting. Next year will tell the tale. 

5 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

Did you see his two major misses on open recievers yesterday? It happens but those were fundamental errors. 

I think he's someone who may fit well, but we need to see another year or two to know. I give him a solid B for his first year starting. Next year will tell the tale. 

Oh he misses.  As do the best.  His leading WR was Bo Melton.  Im sure you dont know him so look him up.  Been out there with basically a rookie squad all year.   What hes doingbis impressive.  

A 4th rd 2nd year wr.   A rookie 3rd round TE and a waiver pickup 7th round 2nd year Bo Melton were his leading recievers.   

Just guys.  Love is tied for 3rd in total TDs for QBs. 

Packers offense 

Jones has missed many games.

Watson has missed many games.

Franchise LT played 1 game and replaces by a 2nd year 7th rounder.  

Doubs 4th round 2 year

Reed 2nd round rookie.

Wicks 5th round rookie

Kraft 3rd round rookie TE

Health undrafted FA rookie

Bo Melton 2nd year 7th round pick up off Seahawks PS

If any of the "good" QBs had that there would be endless slobbing.  

21 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

In addition to Love, I want Jones extended this off-season, add 2 more years to the contract/lower the cap number.  

21 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Oh he misses.  As do the best.  His leading WR was Bo Melton.  Im sure you dont know him so look him up.  Been out there with basically a rookie squad all year.   What hes doingbis impressive.  

A 4th rd 2nd year wr.   A rookie 3rd round TE and a waiver pickup 7th round 2nd year Bo Melton were his leading recievers.   

Just guys.  Love is tied for 3rd in total TDs for QBs. 

What's your prediction on the Packers/Bears game this week? I'm torn to wanting the Bears to lose for the better draft pick, but I'm not betting against them. This is actually a huge game for the Bears as is for GB obviously.

11 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

What's your prediction on the Packers/Bears game this week? I'm torn to wanting the Bears to lose for the better draft pick, but I'm not betting against them. This is actually a huge game for the Bears as is for GB obviously.

Packers have ran hot and cold on each side of the ball all year.  Played real well on Sunday.  So wouldn't be that surprised if they throw out a stinker.  

Bears have been playing better, especially defensively.   I expect them to come in and play well.  

I have no real expectation for the game one way or another.  If they can stop Fields from having a good game they should be ok.  But that defense canbe atrocious at any moment.  

Pass rush has been good.  But they need to contain Fields rather than pin their ears back completely.   Danny Divito ran for like 70 yds against them.  

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

Packers have ran hot and cold on each side of the ball all year.  Played real well on Sunday.  So wouldn't be that surprised if they throw out a stinker.  

Bears have been playing better, especially defensively.   I expect them to come in and play well.  

I have no real expectation for the game one way or another.  If they can stop Fields from having a good game they should be ok.  But that defense canbe atrocious at any moment.  

Pass rush has been good.  But they need to contain Fields rather than pin their ears back completely.   Danny Divito ran for like 70 yds against them.  

Well if Fields helps win against the Pack it will be his first against them. 

26 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

In addition to Love, I want Jones extended this off-season, add 2 more years to the contract/lower the cap number.  

I agree.  Doubtful that they will spend the amount on the backfield needed to keep both Dillon and Jones even if they really want to.  

Jones is still underrated around the league.  Night and day watching him take a hand off compared to anyone else.  

Like to keep Jones and draft one in the mid rounds.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seafoam1 said:

Well if Fields helps win against the Pack it will be his first against them. 

They have played him well.  I just have no real confidence after watching like 5 different QBs have a career game against them this year.  Bryce Young over 300 yds is so bad.  

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

They have played him well.  I just have no real confidence after watching like 5 different QBs have a career game against them this year.  Bryce Young over 300 yds is so bad.  

Ouch. Well at leadt you have your QB. What kinda salary do you pay that guy? That's the tough part of the Packers future. And you kind of need a rebuild of sorts. Not as major as the Bears are going through but holy hell, I think the Bears are gonna be really good soon. The Packers need some strategy. They may have it, but not sure.

8 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

Ouch. Well at leadt you have your QB. What kinda salary do you pay that guy? That's the tough part of the Packers future. And you kind of need a rebuild of sorts. Not as major as the Bears are going through but holy hell, I think the Bears are gonna be really good soon. The Packers need some strategy. They may have it, but not sure.

Not really sure what Love will command when it comes time to give him a contract.  Maybe that Dan Jones area?

Packers have had some excellent drafts recently.  Absolutely excellent.  They drafted 13 guys last draft.  6 being in the 6th and 7th.  10 guys are already huge contributors or have at least played a ton of downs.  And 1 of the 3 who havent,  earned the backup QB role.  

If they were to make the playoffs, it would be the first time the youngest team in the league made the playoffs in like 3 decades.  

They are super young.  I have high hopes for their future.  

Need a new DC. 

Packers had 57 million in dead money this year as well as paying around 40 million for David Bahktieri and Jaire Alexander who gave them ony a handful of snaps.  They are the yongest team and they have the third lowest salary amount on the field and they are in the conversation.  Next year they get a bit of draft help with their regular draft and extra picks for Rodgers and Douglas. They are doing alright and their arrow is trending up.  The thing is, so too the Bears and Lions. 

5 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Not really sure what Love will command when it comes time to give him a contract.  Maybe that Dan Jones area?

Packers have had some excellent drafts recently.  Absolutely excellent.  They drafted 13 guys last draft.  6 being in the 6th and 7th.  10 guys are already huge contributors or have at least played a ton of downs.  And 1 of the 3 who havent,  earned the backup QB role.  

If they were to make the playoffs, it would be the first time the youngest team in the league made the playoffs in like 3 decades.  

They are super young.  I have high hopes for their future.  

Need a new DC. 

The defense is a mess from the top down. MLF,  wants to run the Vic Fangio/Staley defense, hires Joe, who was just a LB coach for one year under that scheme. Why does he think Joe can run it? On top of that, Gutey doesn't draft guys that are good fits for that scheme. 

Joe needs to go and MLF and Gutey need to get on the same page about what kind of defensive scheme they want to run---and at this point, just with the personal the team has, it shouldn't be this cover 4 zone read thing. 

Didn't know the 3 decade youngest team playoff tidbit. Really says a lot about how quickly that offense has matured. 3 lineman who had less than 10 combined starts, plus everybody in the receiving room only being year 1 or 2.  If the next DC can get these players to a middle of the pack defense and the offense (hopefully keeps) progressing, they might be seriously ready to compete for an SB as soon as next year.  

ETA: All that being said, the last month really has changed my thoughts about draft/off-season targets. 

15 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

The defense is a mess from the top down. MLF,  wants to run the Vic Fangio/Staley defense, hires Joe, who was just a LB coach for one year under that scheme. Why does he think Joe can run it? On top of that, Gutey doesn't draft guys that are good fits for that scheme. 

Joe needs to go and MLF and Gutey need to get on the same page about what kind of defensive scheme they want to run---and at this point, just with the personal the team has, it shouldn't be this cover 4 zone read thing. 

Didn't know the 3 decade youngest team playoff tidbit. Really says a lot about how quickly that offense has matured. 3 lineman who had less than 10 combined starts, plus everybody in the receiving room only being year 1 or 2.  If the next DC can get these players to a middle of the pack defense and the offense (hopefully keeps) progressing, they might be seriously ready to compete for an SB as soon as next year.  

ETA: All that being said, the last month really has changed my thoughts about draft/off-season targets. 

I too have said for years there is a disconnect between the GM and the defense.  They have thresholds and like to draft RAS score guys.  I get it, draft for upside because they all can't hit anyway.  

But why get a bunch of athletes and play them on their heels?  Seems counterproductive.  Why not get guys who have instincts and tackling if you want to play like that?  Douglas was good in this scheme.   He he ran a 4.59.  They hit a homerun picking him up.  Will they learn?  No.  They will go out and only draft the fastest DBs.  

Needs in my eyes is somewhat of an order

Slot DB.  Safety.  RB.  OL depth.  

I want them to go with Rasheed Walker at LT next year.  He has been good enough and is still raw.  Drafting a LT high is a premium position but not necessary.  They will need a backup swing tackle. 

I put a futures bet on the browns vs packers in the superbowl. That would pay out 75k

• Haha 1

I was hoping the packers would somehow manage another 1st game playoff loss, continuing Rodgers choking.

Packers one of 4 teams with no pro bowlers.

The other 3 teams?  Panthers Skins Pats.  The teams currently with thr first 3 draft slots.  

On 1/2/2024 at 12:01 PM, seafoam1 said:

On 1/2/2024 at 12:10 PM, listen2me 23 said:

Packers already did the smart thing declining his 5th year option and signing him to that 1 year extension at less $$. Now they have seen what they have. Given what he did this year with a very young cast of weapons around him, aside from the backfield, and with a mostly injured Aaron Jones..... i'd expect him to get a big offer after next year, assuming he doesn't have some weird regression. Thats the luxury the Packers have but if all goes according to plan, $150M guaranteed at least. 

10 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Packers already did the smart thing declining his 5th year option and signing him to that 1 year extension at less $$. Now they have seen what they have. Given what he did this year with a very young cast of weapons around him, aside from the backfield, and with a mostly injured Aaron Jones..... i'd expect him to get a big offer after next year, assuming he doesn't have some weird regression. Thats the luxury the Packers have but if all goes according to plan, $150M guaranteed at least. 

Id assume they find a deal in the offseason 

Wednesday morning tidbits 

Love led the NFL in games with multiple touchdown passes and zero interceptions with nine.

Love tied for the NFL lead in games with a passer rating of at least 100.0.

Love threw 32 touchdown passes, which ranks behind only Patrick Mahomes (50, 2018), Kurt Warner (41, 1999) and Daunte Culpepper (33, 2000) for the most ever by a first-year starter.

The Packers set new NFL records for catches (191) and receiving yards (2,250) by rookies. The team had 206 games played by rookies, the most in team history.

2020 Draft Day trade:

#Packers get: 1.26 - Jordan Love

Dolphins get: 1.30 CB Noah Igbinoghene

4.136 traded to move up to 4.111 for G Solomon Kindley

Kindley has not played since 2021.

Miami traded Igbinoghene for CB Kelvin Joseph in 2023, then released Joseph in November.

15 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

2020 Draft Day trade:

#Packers get: 1.26 - Jordan Love

Dolphins get: 1.30 CB Noah Igbinoghene

4.136 traded to move up to 4.111 for G Solomon Kindley

Kindley has not played since 2021.

Miami traded Igbinoghene for CB Kelvin Joseph in 2023, then released Joseph in November.

Hopefully the Packers will get another dozen years of pro bowl caliberr play out of love and then be able to recoup thier draft investment and then some by trading his aging ass for a first and second round draft choice. or at least two second rounders.

Pretty good.   Underestimated them a little.  Did not know Love would be the best QB in the league this early in his career.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Pretty good.   Underestimated them a little.  Did not know Love would be the best QB in the league this early in his career.  

Rodgers was also better than Brady. 

Hard to believe just a few weeks ago Tommy Cutlets and the NYG’s defeated the Packers, and the Giants haven’t sniffed the Cowboys in a long time. It’s good to get hot going into the playoffs. 

Neveer a Joe Barry fan.  That said, I thought the Packers defense came together enough over the last four games to maybe save his job.  I am glad it did not.

I am very bullish on next year, more than my ten win prediction for this year which turned out to be spot on.  Next year I see them as a 12 and 5 team ultimately finishing with 15 wins.  I hope i am wrong.  I hope they get to 16 wins.  Obviously way early projections can easily get derailed by injuries but that is my thought and my hope.

New DC is BCs head coach Jeff Hafley.  

Underwhelming out of left field.  Know nothing about the guy orher than he spent time with DBs in SF a handful of years ago.  So no idea.  Cant be mad just surprised with such a strong class of possible DCs.