Sign in to follow this  
WhiteWonder

*** NBA Thread 2023-24 ***

Probably only starting this because I’m watching the Nets-Cavs and got very excited to see they are giving players technicals for flopping 

about damn time 

I haven’t been this unexcited for a season in many years. :( 

• Sad 1

I was just going to start this thread, as I wanted to point out I noticed Cam Thomas is a scoring machine.

12 minutes ago, MDC said:

Harden. What a joke 

2 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

I was just going to start this thread, as I wanted to point out I noticed Cam Thomas is a scoring machine.

I enjoyed watching him last season. He was a great draft pick that fell Brooklyn. 

• Like 1

Even with a young Luka...... I've zero interest in my Mavs or the NBA. The game has morphed into a glorified Horse game, 24/7 jacking up 3s........ Meh. 

10 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Any other Celtics fans here?

I still follow them a little. KG is the reason I got into NBA so when he was traded to Boston, I was a full Celtics fan. Should have had 2 titles if not for Perkins injury. 

53 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

The game has morphed into a glorified Horse game, 24/7 jacking up 3s........ Meh. 

Agreed

players still cut and drive to the basket. Analytics simply says there is no point in shooting deeper two pointers or step back jumpers if you can hit a 3. I don't like it but that's what drives it. Been that way for several seasons now. 

I'm watching the Bucks/Sixers game and they just stopped the game/whistled for something called "Traveling".  Is this new, what is this traveling in the NBA?

On 10/25/2023 at 8:43 PM, MDC said:

Amazed to see Maxey take another leap - he’s a star and Philly is 7-1. I sort of hate myself for getting sucked back in. :( 

• Sad 1

On 10/25/2023 at 7:02 PM, Cruzer said:

Even with a young Luka...... I've zero interest in my Mavs or the NBA. The game has morphed into a glorified Horse game, 24/7 jacking up 3s........ Meh. 

Agreed. The product sucks 

LMAO at the Clippers being 0-6 since the Harden trade and 0-5 with Harden actually in uniform...

4 minutes ago, posty said:

LMAO at the Clippers being 0-6 since the Harden trade and 0-5 with Harden actually in uniform...

Sixers got like 4 draft picks and basically a max contract slot of financial flexibility to let Harden go, opening the door for TYRESE MOTHERFOCKING MAXEY to blossom into an All Star.

Thanks Clippers! :doublethumbsup: 

On 10/25/2023 at 10:41 PM, WhiteWonder said:

I still follow them a little. KG is the reason I got into NBA so when he was traded to Boston, I was a full Celtics fan. Should have had 2 titles if not for Perkins injury. 

Was a big KG fan for the wolves.  I have a buddy who is a big Cs fan.  So in our younger days we would watch some Celtics games and I rooted for KG to get a title.   

After that meh.   I don't have a team although I grew up a Knicks fan and Houston was my favorite player.   The game is unwatchable.   But I do like that they have gotten tougher on flopping.  Thats a step.  

16 minutes ago, MDC said:

Sixers got like 4 draft picks and basically a max contract slot of financial flexibility to let Harden go, opening the door for TYRESE MOTHERFOCKING MAXEY to blossom into an All Star.

Thanks Clippers! :doublethumbsup: 

In what world do teams trade a good little haul for Harden?  I don't follow thr NBA but I don't get it.  Hes older and can't do his jump into you draw a penalty moves.   What are GMs watching?   Tickets?

Read some stat that MJ had 250 more games of 5 plus fouls than Lebron.  Lebron plays in the dont touch them era.  

I may have gotten that wrong but it was something like that.  Protected stars.

On a bright note my NBA friend said they are putting in some if yont play 66% of games you are ineligible for awards.   Seems a bit useless but at least its something.  The player management stuff is insane, but how much can you really do?  Sad.  

7 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

In what world do teams trade a good little haul for Harden?  I don't follow thr NBA but I don't get it.  Hes older and can't do his jump into you draw a penalty moves.   What are GMs watching?   Tickets?

Harden has to be the worst thing in sports. Sixers fans were giddy to get him and unload Simmons. Like it was title time. Yet Embiid is the only league MVP to never play in a conference finals...

I totally understand the teams he plays for giving in and trading him to his desired destination. Might as well get SOMETHING back for him or he's just going to nurse phantom injuries or half ass it anyway. What I don't understand is why any team even makes an offer at all. Should let the guy rot on the bench and then as an unsigned free agent. A team like the clippers with ultimate winner Kawhi, Paul George... even Westbrook to an extent, a healthy Mann and a token big euro white dude who rebounds is thinking title contention right? Why trade for Harden? You don't have to add another name for the sake of adding a name. He's not the missing piece. If he had forced his way to teams in the past and immediately won a title before things fell apart, then maybe I could understand it.... but he doesn't win.  What is the allure?

12 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Harden said he’d never play for the Sixers again and wanted to go to LA. I thought it would be a pure salary dump. Somehow Philly ended up with two 1st, two 2nds, a pick swap, Covington and Batum, and $35m in cap space … and got better!

The Clippers must be dumb as fock.

8 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Harden has to be the worst thing in sports. Sixers fans were giddy to get him and unload Simmons. Like it was title time. Yet Embiid is the only league MVP to never play in a conference finals...

I totally understand the teams he plays for giving in and trading him to his desired destination. Might as well get SOMETHING back for him or he's just going to nurse phantom injuries or half ass it anyway. What I don't understand is why any team even makes an offer at all. Should let the guy rot on the bench and then as an unsigned free agent. A team like the clippers with ultimate winner Kawhi, Paul George... even Westbrook to an extent, a healthy Mann and a token big euro white dude who rebounds is thinking title contention right? Why trade for Harden? You don't have to add another name for the sake of adding a name. He's not the missing piece. If he had forced his way to teams in the past and immediately won a title before things fell apart, then maybe I could understand it.... but he doesn't win.  What is the allure?

Oh I know 6ers fans were hoping for a way out.   

Just weird.  Yea he still has talent but he doesn't help a team win, quite the opposite (from my non nba oberservations).  Always been low %.  Chucks it.  Aging PG.   

Maybe teams or coaches think they can get him to play a different game and become an experienced role player.  Thing is he has never played defense I don't think.  

Yea, I don't get it.  Just thought I missed something because in generally the NBA's moves are bizarre to me.  

14 minutes ago, MDC said:

Harden said he’d never play for the Sixers again and wanted to go to LA. I thought it would be a pure salary dump. Somehow Philly ended up with two 1st, two 2nds, a pick swap, Covington and Batum, and $35m in cap space … and got better!

I just dont get how you get paid that much to be totally clueless.  In thr NFL the GMs know thr going rate.  Do you think other teams were offering near that deal?

I mean I watch no NBA anymore.  But I can see that even having him on your team makes you a non contender.   

To m e it seems like tickets/eyeballs.  Only explanation to me unless thr GM got drunk and made a call. 

Just now, listen2me 23 said:

I just dont get how you get paid that much to be totally clueless.  In thr NFL the GMs know thr going rate.  Do you think other teams were offering near that deal?

I mean I watch no NBA anymore.  But I can see that even having him on your team makes you a non contender.   

To m e it seems like tickets/eyeballs.  Only explanation to me unless thr GM got drunk and made a call. 

I have to think it’s an LA hype / ticket sales type thing. Clippers fans on Reddit were saying it was a guaranteed title. I guess they didn’t see Harden’s last 2 stops.

Harden isn’t totally useless. I was surprised at what a skilled passer he was last year. The problem is he likes to dribble the air out of the basketball and doesn’t have the burst to blow by defenders anymore. Everything was a step back 3.

He’s also a traffic cone on D and a massive ass hole.

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

Oh I know 6ers fans were hoping for a way out.   

Just weird.  Yea he still has talent but he doesn't help a team win, quite the opposite (from my non nba oberservations).  Always been low %.  Chucks it.  Aging PG.   

Maybe teams or coaches think they can get him to play a different game and become an experienced role player.  Thing is he has never played defense I don't think.  

Yea, I don't get it.  Just thought I missed something because in generally the NBA's moves are bizarre to me.  

I think it just boils down to teams thinking he's a superstar and that it will buy them that title. and he technically is a superstar and can play like one, though not as often as he used to. 

What bothers me is how these teams don't see that the chemistry issues he creates are not worth the risk. Especially when you're giving up actual valuable assets. Want to trade the farm for a guy like Leonard? Go for it. Guy is a proven winner. Harden is not, and when you're on the back end of your career, I think you need to have proven you can get it done for teams to give up so much for your services. 

On 10/25/2023 at 10:30 PM, HellToupee said:

Any other Celtics fans here?

yeah in the 80s 

the NBA sucks

16 hours ago, MDC said:

hardly news

15 hours ago, MDC said:

I have to think it’s an LA hype / ticket sales type thing. Clippers fans on Reddit were saying it was a guaranteed title. I guess they didn’t see Harden’s last 2 stops.

Harden isn’t totally useless. I was surprised at what a skilled passer he was last year. The problem is he likes to dribble the air out of the basketball and doesn’t have the burst to blow by defenders anymore. Everything was a step back 3.

He’s also a traffic cone on D and a massive ass hole.

Your description to me from what I know is on point.  The question is how is that description "a stud player"?

If his name was Joe Blow and their scouting report was.   No burst, jacks shots, plays no defense, diva, but can pass the ball....

Just now, listen2me 23 said:

Your description to me from what I know is on point.  The question is how is that description "a stud player"?

If his name was Joe Blow and their scouting report was.   No burst, jacks shots, plays no defense, diva, but can pass the ball....

Harden is mostly washed. If he accepted a pure PG role and put some effort in on D he’d be a valuable player. But he seems to think he’s still a 30 ppg scorer and a guy that teams want to build around. Harden’s last seasons in the league are guaranteed to be sad.

17 hours ago, posty said:

My above Holy crap this is funny quote was supposed to have this tweet attached to it.  Guy for the Mavs broadcast team killed Harden..Ballysports actually took the original tweet, but I found this one.

2 hours ago, MDC said:

Harden is mostly washed. If he accepted a pure PG role and put some effort in on D he’d be a valuable player. But he seems to think he’s still a 30 ppg scorer and a guy that teams want to build around. Harden’s last seasons in the league are guaranteed to be sad.

even if he accepted a pure PG role, he wouldn't fit. He was never a pure PG and I don't think he'd make a good one at this stage in his career. He can pass, but pure PGs don't stop the ball. Elite scorers do. Pure PGs play some defense. Pure PGs are leaders. 

Not disagreeing with you, just adding to it. 

When certain big men get older they can relinquish their scoring role and focus on rebounding/shot blocking etc and it can work. Some combo guards who are elite shooters can focus on just being shooters and it can work. 

4 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

even if he accepted a pure PG role, he wouldn't fit. He was never a pure PG and I don't think he'd make a good one at this stage in his career. He can pass, but pure PGs don't stop the ball. Elite scorers do. Pure PGs play some defense. Pure PGs are leaders. 

Not disagreeing with you, just adding to it. 

When certain big men get older they can relinquish their scoring role and focus on rebounding/shot blocking etc and it can work. Some combo guards who are elite shooters can focus on just being shooters and it can work. 

Stopping the ball was the big issue last year. It was so frustrating ing to watch Harden dribble the air out of the ball until there were 2 seconds on the clock, then jack up a step back 3. 

Harden said the Sixers didn’t give him the reigns but no other coach would have let him play that way. His career is going to end real ugly.

What is an in season tournament?

Pistons suffer 25th straight loss, hear chants of 'sell the team'

- Kelly Olynyk scored 25 points and the short-handed Utah Jazz beat Detroit 119-111 on Thursday night for the Pistons' 25th straight loss, one short of the NBA single-season record.

The 2010-11 Cleveland Cavaliers and 2013-14 Philadelphia 76ers share the record at 26. The 76ers hold the overall mark at 28, a skid that started in the 2014-15 season and carried over into 2015-16.

Close to making history, have the Nets next. 

2 hours ago, MDC said:

Durant reportedly frustrated with the Suns ‘underwhelming supporting cast’.

Always the same with this guy. It’s hard to believe a team was dumb enough to pair him with Kyrie and Harden.

:doh: 

Eh… Durant was a puss for going to golden state but he backed it up by winning and being the best player on those teams. Kyrie won in Cleveland but his nonsense is worse and Hardens nonsense is next level. 

Safe to assume that the pistons could stilll smoke the best collegiate teams?

Joel Embiid scored 70 points and had 18 rebounds tonight. He's the leading scorer in the NBA at 35 pts per game.

16 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

Joel Embiid scored 70 points and had 18 rebounds tonight. He's the leading scorer in the NBA at 35 pts per game.

Wow and that 35 average just went up a few points.