Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore troubadour

MLB 2024

Grew up a Reds fan but have been in Seattle for 25 years so now follow them…still follow Reds tho…Elly De La Cruz is just a straight up beast. Love this guy’s game, most exciting player going now.

7 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

3 of those people are dead.

swirve and tdz?  the others all seem to have visited as recent as this week :dunno:  RIP to those two, but it's on for the rest of you :fu:

4 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

swirve and tdz?  the others all seem to have visited as recent as this week :dunno:  RIP to those two, but it's on for the rest of you :fu:

What's on?

Also the 3rd one is me. On the inside.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

What's on?

Also the 3rd one is me. On the inside.

this tiger's/ royals series.  Right now they'd be playing in the wild card game if the season ended today :banana:

15 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

this tiger's/ royals series.  Right now they'd be playing in the wild card game if the season ended today :banana:

It's really wild to see how well the central is doing..Especially Cleveland.  This was supposed to be the worst division in baseball.   Figured 89 wins or so would lock it down, now I'm not so sure.  

And holy hell are the White Sox bad

3 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

It's really wild to see how well the central is doing..Especially Cleveland.  This was supposed to be the worst division in baseball.   Figured 89 wins or so would lock it down, now I'm not so sure.  

it's pitiful.  And not really hope going forward as their farm system blows as well.  

White Sox are 3 and 22 :o 

implosion commences :banana:

On 4/10/2024 at 5:52 PM, Mookz said:

Thanks!  2B was a gaping hole.  Hopefully Holliday can hit the ground running. :music_guitarred:

<_<

On 4/26/2024 at 10:05 AM, cmh6476 said:

Rubber game tomorrow!

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

Rubber game tomorrow!

:thumbsup:

On the board :banana:

52 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

See you in may

Guardians lost.   Hopefully we're still.500 by the time we meet again. 

Paul Skenes, possibly 2 bad Quinn Priester starts away from a MLB debut (my gut feeling).

Paul Skenes' numbers in AAA this season, thus far:

GS: 6
IP: 23
R: 2
ER: 1
ERA: 0.39
WHIP: 0.870
H: 14
2B: 3
3B: 1
HR: 0
K: 41
BB: 6

Hard to keep him down in the minors, but really, the only pitcher not doing well is Keller... and they're not going to bench him, especially after they made a big deal by giving him an extension this past off-season (which was a huge mistake).

Priester has been pretty terrible in his 12 outings in the majors so far, dating back to last year.  Of his 12 games (10 starts), 10 have been really, really bad.  His saving grace is that last Friday against the Giants, he threw 6 shutout innings (3 hits, 1 BB, 6 K's).  He gets the A's tonight which could be another good outing.  If he stinks up the joint, I think there's a chance that Skenes takes his next scheduled start (which would be on 5 days rest), as he just pitched last night.  That would give Skenes a chance to start in a home game against the Angles (without Trout), on Monday night.

Imagine throwing so hard, that your changeup is 94 MPH.

I have seen May 10 as Skenes day in Pittsburgh. 

Friday home game versus Chicago. Would be great.

30 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

I have seen May 10 as Skenes day in Pittsburgh. 

Friday home game versus Chicago. Would be great.

It's possible.  I just know that the Pirates have no interest in bringing him up early.  If they can use the excuse that they can't use him on the ML staff, they'll use it.  Priester is the wildcard.  They brought him up after Gonzalez got hurt.  Keller is locked in, but after him, Falter has only had 1 bad start out of 6, the other 5 were really good.  Perez has 3 great starts, 2 good ones, and a bad one.  Jones is pitching great.  None of them are going anywhere.  It's all on Priester right now.  If he pitches good tonight, he's not losing his spot in the rotation for his next start.  He'll pitch on May 6th (or 7th), against the Angels.  If he pitches well again, ownership might bust a nut because that's 2 of their 3 top pitching prospects pitching great at the ML level.  Also because, they still can legitimately claim that there's no spot for Skenes.  It might take an injury for him to be up before June.

Honestly, I can't say that I'm all that upset either.  This team can't hit worth a sh!t!!  Bringing up Skenes won't help them win games.  They rank 12th in ERA and that's only because their closer and setup man are horrible.  Take them away, they probably have a top 7 pitching staff in baseball.

hard to watch this Rays team with all the injuries. Won't have their top 3 SP's for all or most of the season, their 4th best SP still has not made his season debut. Taj Bradley also still on the IL. Basically the 5 starters who would normally make up their rotation are all currently injured. Maybe Eflin would still be starting over Bradley. 2 of their 3 best relief pitchers are now on the shelf as well including their top closer. Granted, he is often injured. 

On offense, one of their top bats in Josh Lowe has yet to make his debut. Brandon Lowe is also on the IL, but they should have done a better job replacing him a year or two ago. Guy can't stay healthy at all. The offense wasn't exactly going to scare anyone before, but certainly isn't now. 

Without some players coming back from injury, this team will be 4th at best in the AL East.

6 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

It's possible.  I just know that the Pirates have no interest in bringing him up early.  If they can use the excuse that they can't use him on the ML staff, they'll use it.  Priester is the wildcard.  They brought him up after Gonzalez got hurt.  Keller is locked in, but after him, Falter has only had 1 bad start out of 6, the other 5 were really good.  Perez has 3 great starts, 2 good ones, and a bad one.  Jones is pitching great.  None of them are going anywhere.  It's all on Priester right now.  If he pitches good tonight, he's not losing his spot in the rotation for his next start.  He'll pitch on May 6th (or 7th), against the Angels.  If he pitches well again, ownership might bust a nut because that's 2 of their 3 top pitching prospects pitching great at the ML level.  Also because, they still can legitimately claim that there's no spot for Skenes.  It might take an injury for him to be up before June.

Honestly, I can't say that I'm all that upset either.  This team can't hit worth a sh!t!!  Bringing up Skenes won't help them win games.  They rank 12th in ERA and that's only because their closer and setup man are horrible.  Take them away, they probably have a top 7 pitching staff in baseball.

I have Skenes on my redraft fantasy squad. This is an outrage! 😂

57 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

hard to watch this Rays team with all the injuries. Won't have their top 3 SP's for all or most of the season, their 4th best SP still has not made his season debut. Taj Bradley also still on the IL. Basically the 5 starters who would normally make up their rotation are all currently injured. Maybe Eflin would still be starting over Bradley. 2 of their 3 best relief pitchers are now on the shelf as well including their top closer. Granted, he is often injured. 

On offense, one of their top bats in Josh Lowe has yet to make his debut. Brandon Lowe is also on the IL, but they should have done a better job replacing him a year or two ago. Guy can't stay healthy at all. The offense wasn't exactly going to scare anyone before, but certainly isn't now. 

Without some players coming back from injury, this team will be 4th at best in the AL East.

Who do you think is better when healthy, Baz or Bradley? I lean Bradley

48 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

I have Skenes on my redraft fantasy squad. This is an outrage! 😂

I didn't draft him on my team because of this.  LOL  I know the Pirates front office (ownership really), does not want him up before June.  The other thing is, last year he threw 130 innings between college and the minors.  The Pirates have no intention of him pitching more than 150-160 this year.  Well, he's at 23 now.  If the ML team is still getting good pitching, they're not going to bring him up, so they're going to continue to throw him 6 IP's a start until they do.  He could get 5 more starts before they bring him up, putting him over 50 innings, leaving him with only about 100 with the Pirates.  At 6 IP's per start, you're talking what, 15 or so starts (if they even let him get to 6 IP)?  There'll be an adjustment period, so he's not going to dominate at the ML level like the AAA level.  They'll give him 5 IP's the first 3 or 4 outings and then see how it goes.  They may even skip a start to make sure he can pitch the whole season.  There'll be games where he leaves after 5, down 1-0 and the Pirates lose 7-2 and he gets a loss.  Way too volatile of a situation to draft him where he went. (e was taken in the 10th round in my league).  If Skenes were drafted by a team like the Yankees, Phillies, Mets, or someone like that... he may have pitched in the majors last year and started the season on the active roster.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Baz will probably be a super star.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I think Baz is better / more talented

their ideal rotation, and this is after trading Glasnow, is ....  McClanahan, Springs, Baz, Rasmussen, Bradley

They had to add Civale last year after all the injuries, brought Pepiot back in the Glasnow deal, turned Zack Littell into a quality starter and still have Zach Eflin who they gave a decent contract to last offseason and was supposed to be their SP4 at the time. 

Ideally, Eflin starts to pitch a little better and is sold before the deadline. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, WhiteWonder said:

I think Baz is better / more talented

Focking Neil Huntington. 🤬

8 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Focking Neil Huntington. 🤬

what robbery the Rays pulled off. Granted, Meadows is out of baseball right now, Glasnow is a Dodger and Baz is coming back from surgery but Meadows gave us a really good year and allowed us to flip for Paredes. Glasnow has Cy Young stuff and allowed us to flip for Pepiot and there is still hope for Baz. Best example of why I became a Rays fan and why I continue to be. The most well run organization in baseball compared to their means. 

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

what robbery the Rays pulled off. Granted, Meadows is out of baseball right now, Glasnow is a Dodger and Baz is coming back from surgery but Meadows gave us a really good year and allowed us to flip for Paredes. Glasnow has Cy Young stuff and allowed us to flip for Pepiot and there is still hope for Baz. Best example of why I became a Rays fan and why I continue to be. The most well run organization in baseball compared to their means. 

Pirates fans were disgusted by that deal... for focking Chris Archer, of all people.

Tampa just churns out the talent from within. It’s really something how they keep doing it. Thanks for the answers on Baz/ Bradley.  I have them both stashed but may have to cut one loose if they come back around the same time. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Tampa just churns out the talent from within. It’s really something how they keep doing it. Thanks for the answers on Baz/ Bradley.  I have them both stashed but may have to cut one loose if they come back around the same time. 

if they both come back around the same time, they would be fighting for 1 rotation spot (currently being filled by Tyler Alexander, sometimes entering the game after an opener). I imagine they would continue to start Eflin, Civale and Littell. 

Pepiot has looked pretty good, hard to see them sending him down. Baz will probably be brought along slowly. If Bradley still has minor league options (im not looking at the moment), he would be my bet to spend some time in the minors. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I didn't draft him on my team because of this.  LOL  I know the Pirates front office (ownership really), does not want him up before June.  The other thing is, last year he threw 130 innings between college and the minors.  The Pirates have no intention of him pitching more than 150-160 this year.  Well, he's at 23 now.  If the ML team is still getting good pitching, they're not going to bring him up, so they're going to continue to throw him 6 IP's a start until they do.  He could get 5 more starts before they bring him up, putting him over 50 innings, leaving him with only about 100 with the Pirates.  At 6 IP's per start, you're talking what, 15 or so starts (if they even let him get to 6 IP)?  There'll be an adjustment period, so he's not going to dominate at the ML level like the AAA level.  They'll give him 5 IP's the first 3 or 4 outings and then see how it goes.  They may even skip a start to make sure he can pitch the whole season.  There'll be games where he leaves after 5, down 1-0 and the Pirates lose 7-2 and he gets a loss.  Way too volatile of a situation to draft him where he went. (e was taken in the 10th round in my league).  If Skenes were drafted by a team like the Yankees, Phillies, Mets, or someone like that... he may have pitched in the majors last year and started the season on the active roster.

The innings cap will def hit that’s why I want him up! Guy looks like he’s playing catch and is throwing 100+. 

Let’s hope he’s up soon and no elbow issue 🤞

18 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

The innings cap will def hit that’s why I want him up! Guy looks like he’s playing catch and is throwing 100+. 

Let’s hope he’s up soon and no elbow issue 🤞

I don't really want him up soon.  It's of no benefit to the Pirates.  The longer he stays down (this year, the better).  He won't help the ML team win this year, so I don't see a real urge to bring him up until he passed the Super 2 deadline (June 8th).

Ignoring the second sentence (no jinx here).

55 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't really want him up soon.  It's of no benefit to the Pirates.  The longer he stays down (this year, the better).  He won't help the ML team win this year, so I don't see a real urge to bring him up until he passed the Super 2 deadline (June 8th).

Ignoring the second sentence (no jinx here).

Not with that attitude!

21 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

Not with that attitude!

🤣

Today is a perfect example.  Quinn Priester pitching, gives up 3 runs (2 ER), in 6 IP... the offense produced 3 hits so far and despite 3 errors by the A's, have not scored.  You can't win games without scoring. :dunno:

On 4/26/2024 at 9:22 AM, supermike80 said:

Agreed. What a turnaround. Last year .500 wins the division; this year, thirty games in and they look like the strongest division in baseball.

Last year the royals didn't win 20 games until June 20.

1 hour ago, cmh6476 said:

At least it was White Sox broadcast so no one was watching.