Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Artest

Airlines to give cash refunds for cancelled or delayed flights

Thanks Joe!  Good looking out for the frustrated traveler.

On Wednesday, the Biden administration announced two new rules for airlines in its years-long war on so-called “junk fees.” The White House says the new rules will help consumers save over half a billion dollars every year that they are currently overpaying in airline fees.

The first new regulation mandates that carriers issue full cash refunds automatically instead of in response to customer requests when flights are canceled or significantly changed, when baggage return is significantly delayed and when ancillary services like inflight Wi-Fi are not provided to passengers who purchased them.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2024/04/24/biden-airlines-must-provide-automatic-cash-refunds-more-transparency/?sh=78ba0e7614a3

• Thanks 1

Joe proving again that he cares about the regular guy rather than working to make the rich guy richer.

Keep it up Joe!

This is good. I'd rather get this than credits or whatever. 

• Like 1

I usuallt book flights because I want to go somewhere. Not to get my money back. If a flight gets cancelled, I get on the next one. 

But why now, why not a year ago, oh buying votes.   

• Thanks 1

Southwest always gave me a refund. Heck, there were times when I overslept an early flight and I called and told them so and they just refunded me if I didn't want to rebook it.

1 minute ago, double tour said:

Southwest always gave me a refund. Heck, there were times when I overslept an early flight and I called and told them so and they just refunded me if I didn't want to rebook it.

3 hours ago, double tour said:

I usuallt book flights because I want to go somewhere. Not to get my money back. If a flight gets cancelled, I get on the next one. 

What happen with just getting the next one. 

Airlines will raise prices to account for the added costs.

Unintended consequences, a liberal's worst nightmare... :( 

Still no policy on what happens when you lose your iPad when the door falls off at 25K feet.  :mad:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Airlines will raise prices to account for the added costs.

Unintended consequences, a liberal's worst nightmare... :( 

Yep.

I hate airlines too (well most of em) and part of me cheers this on.

But if they’re getting half a billion dollars out of this, they’ll recover that money somewhere else, and most likely it’ll be via higher fares.

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

Yep.

But if they’re getting half a billion dollars out of this, they’ll recover that money somewhere else, and most likely it’ll be via higher fares.

I love airlines. They made me a lot of money and opportunity to continue to make more.

Go conservative!!

1 hour ago, double tour said:

I love airlines. They made me a lot of money and opportunity to continue to make more.

Go conservative!!

Hebrews 9:24.  

For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, Which are the figures of the true, but into Heaven itself, Now to appear in the presence of God for Us.  

Jesus Christ is are mediator to God, but not for everyone, only to those that call Him Lord and Savior.  

Did Jesus die for your sins, Did Jesus rise again for your Sins, is Jesus the mediator for you to God, have you repented from that filthy sins you do daily, and look forward to do those sins, oh foolish one, accept Jesus Christ your Lord and Savior.  

Amen. 

8 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Yep.

This is always the argument when doing anything to protect the consumer or the worker vs the corporation.

Can't tax corporations, can't pass regulations because they will just pass the tax on...

Can't pass any consumer protection because corps will find another way.

If we listened to all these we'd be slaves to corporations.

Meanwhile we're seeing record profits and record executive pay while the rest of us get screwed daily.  Can't be scared to stand up for ourselves.

1 hour ago, Ron_Artest said:

This is always the argument when doing anything to protect the consumer or the worker vs the corporation.

Can't tax corporations, can't pass regulations because they will just pass the tax on...

Meanwhile we're seeing record profits and record executive pay while the rest of us get screwed daily.  Can't be scared to stand up for ourselves.

100% spot on.  And the free market will take over and one airline will figure out how to be more efficient and keep fares the same or lower forcing the others to do the same.

I travel quite a bit and anything under a 10 hour drive, I'm usually driving. Unless it's time sensitive. 

I can't take the aggravation of flying anymore, it's so inconvenient and annoying. Besides, I like driving and having all my crap. 

3 hours ago, Ron_Artest said:

Also true 👍

2 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

I travel quite a bit and anything under a 10 hour drive, I'm usually driving. Unless it's time sensitive. 

I can't take the aggravation of flying anymore, it's so inconvenient and annoying. Besides, I like driving and having all my crap. 

Same here but I’d put my range more at eight hours or so. Wish I had time for more driving, will definitely want to do that in retirement 

23 hours ago, Ron_Artest said:

Thanks Joe!  Good looking out for the frustrated traveler.

On Wednesday, the Biden administration announced two new rules for airlines in its years-long war on so-called “junk fees.” The White House says the new rules will help consumers save over half a billion dollars every year that they are currently overpaying in airline fees.

The first new regulation mandates that carriers issue full cash refunds automatically instead of in response to customer requests when flights are canceled or significantly changed, when baggage return is significantly delayed and when ancillary services like inflight Wi-Fi are not provided to passengers who purchased them.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2024/04/24/biden-airlines-must-provide-automatic-cash-refunds-more-transparency/?sh=78ba0e7614a3

22 hours ago, TheNewGirl said:

This is good. I'd rather get this than credits or whatever. 

22 hours ago, Fireballer said:

Yes, this is very good.  Airlines fuking suck.

22 hours ago, Gutterboys Flip Flops said:

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn

21 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Agreed.

Yup, gotta love it when the government forces corporations how to run their business.:thumbsup:

Can't wait to see what else they do. :first:

1 minute ago, Tree of Knowledge said:

Cool. Now if we could only get some of those airlines back that Barrack Hussein and Dividen put out of business…

You gonna blame TWA and PanAm on them too? :lol: :doh:

17 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yup, gotta love it when the government forces corporations how to run their business.:thumbsup:

Can't wait to see what else they do. :first:

Sure---let them do whatever they want---that program where Boeing lobbied and won the right to do self inspections has worked out great!  Clearly, companies always work in the public interest. 

Whistleblowers and regulators say Boeing’s self-inspection program helped lead to safety problems, including a recent catastrophic door plug malfunction.

Just now, Mike Honcho said:

Sure---let them do whatever they want---that program where Boeing lobbied and won the right to do self inspections has worked out great!  Clearly, companies always work in the public interest. 

Whistleblowers and regulators say Boeing’s self-inspection program helped lead to safety problems, including a recent catastrophic door plug malfunction.

Safety regulations are set by the government all the time, because one of the jobs of government, is safety.  Day-to-day operations on the other hand, that's completely different.

6 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Safety regulations are set by the government all the time, because one of the jobs of government, is safety.  Day-to-day operations on the other hand, that's completely different.

The government also can set consumer protections, and simply saying that if you don't provide the service you sold, means you have to give the cash you received doesn't seem to be a huge burden on the operator. 

31 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

You gonna blame TWA and PanAm on them too? :lol: :doh:

Those 2 killed many legendary American brands during their tenure so it’s easy to get confused but those 2 predate their purge.  

This is the best thing this admin has done in four years **pause**

Sure they will. Buttplug waved his magic fairy wand and now it will happen

5 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

The government also can set consumer protections, and simply saying that if you don't provide the service you sold, means you have to give the cash you received doesn't seem to be a huge burden on the operator. 

Yes, it can, and the protections that the airlines have decided to go with... that American's are willing to accept, was vouchers/credits.  Now, if the government wants to step in and say, "You sold a ticket for $100 for this person to fly from Dallas to Detroit, and that was cancelled, then you MUST honor that, without extra costs", then I'm fine with that.  That's protecting the customers purchase.  Telling the company HOW they must go about it, no, I'm not ok with that.  Why not just have the government set the price?  How about, we just let people buy the ticket from the government instead of the airlines?  That way, the customers purchase is protected from the corporation.

15 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yes, it can, and the protections that the airlines have decided to go with... that American's are willing to accept, was vouchers/credits.  Now, if the government wants to step in and say, "You sold a ticket for $100 for this person to fly from Dallas to Detroit, and that was cancelled, then you MUST honor that, without extra costs", then I'm fine with that.  That's protecting the customers purchase.  Telling the company HOW they must go about it, no, I'm not ok with that.  Why not just have the government set the price?  How about, we just let people buy the ticket from the government instead of the airlines?  That way, the customers purchase is protected from the corporation.

American's were not given the choice whether to accept it or not.  Also, vouchers and credits are not the same as cash, I have to use the voucher at that airline-instead of being able to take my cash to another airline that might actually be able to get me to my destination on time. You are advocating for a system that gives you less freedom. 

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I disagree with you on this. If I pay an airline $400 for a ticket I expect $400 back. They were able to take it from my credit card or my account immediately, there's no reason I shouldn't get it back immediately. 

Should there be a penalty? I don't know. If you bought a ticket and didn't show up, would the airline penalize you? You're damn right they would. So if the airplane doesn't show up for me then why shouldn't we be able to penalize the airline? 

Really, most of my concern is getting my money back immediately. As far as penalizing, I could go either way on that to be honest.

45 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

I disagree with you on this. If I pay an airline $400 for a ticket I expect $400 back. They were able to take it from my credit card or my account immediately, there's no reason I shouldn't get it back immediately. 

Should there be a penalty? I don't know. If you bought a ticket and didn't show up, would the airline penalize you? You're damn right they would. So if the airplane doesn't show up for me then why shouldn't we be able to penalize the airline? 

Really, most of my concern is getting my money back immediately. As far as penalizing, I could go either way on that to be honest.

Yeah I mean it’s a basic breach of contract.

You agreed to pay X for this flight from here to here at this date and time.

They did not perform the contract as agreed.

The real issue is materiality. Obviously a few minutes is whatever but hours and hours or days? That’s a significant difference for most people, especially with connecting flights 

5 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

The real issue is materiality. Obviously a few minutes is whatever but hours and hours or days? That’s a significant difference for most people, especially with connecting flights 

Well put. 

I would even say that since the advent of technology and they can pull the money out of your account within milliseconds, there's no reason why they can't put it back in your account within milliseconds.

No one should have to wait to get their money back. And that includes Banks holding things up too with their BS  2 to 3-day processing nonsense.

3 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

American's were not given the choice whether to accept it or not.  Also, vouchers and credits are not the same as cash, I have to use the voucher at that airline-instead of being able to take my cash to another airline that might actually be able to get me to my destination on time. You are advocating for a system that gives you less freedom. 

Yes they were given a choice.  They opted for that choice when the agreed to buy the ticket.  If you don't want the risk of not getting your money back, don't buy the ticket in the first place.  People have plenty of choices.  They can choose to drive.  They can take a train.  Flying isn't the only option.  I'm advocating for a system where the government doesn't force a business into how they go about their day-to-day operations.

Like I said, if we're letting the government dictate how airlines go about their refund policy, why not let them dictate the price?  It's cost protection for the customer.  Why should the customer be forced to pay $200 for a flight that just the day before, sold for $185... or better yet, another airline sold it for $150?

52 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

I'm not saying your wrong... I'm saying the hammer shouldn't be wielded by the government to make it happen.

8 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

4 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Well put. 

I would even say that since the advent of technology and they can pull the money out of your account within milliseconds, there's no reason why they can't put it back in your account within milliseconds.

No one should have to wait to get their money back. And that includes Banks holding things up too.

It's not a breech of contract because when you buy the ticket... well, at least every time I did, they specifically tell you that there's a chance your flight doesn't happen and by purchasing the ticket, you understand that, agree to it, and agree to the conditions thereafter.