Sign in to follow this  
double tour

Why do people say "we" when talking about their favorite sports teams?

🤣

We won the game! Yay!

We got a new pitcher! Yay!

We overcharge me for beer at the stadium! Yay!

Do you do this with your local liquor store?

We have Lone Star beer! Yay!

We sold to a minor and are shut down for a week! Yay!

How about the people who ask "How are we doing today?"

😆

This comes up every couple of years it seems.  Sports teams represent the city or region from which they hail.  In many cases the locals helped pay for the stadiums the teams play at.  The teams have massive local outreach and charity programs.  IOW, the community is (literally) invested and takes pride in the team and as such refers to that team as their team.

Can we lock this thread now?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Strike said:

This comes up every couple of years it seems.  Sports teams represent the city or region from which they hail.  In many cases the locals helped pay for the stadiums the teams play at.  The teams have massive local outreach and charity programs.  IOW, the community is (literally) invested and takes pride in the team and as such refers to that team as their team.

So you say "we". 😆

Nothing wrong with saying we while referring to your favorite sports team. Strike ended this before it began. Well done strike.

1 minute ago, crackattack said:

Nothing wrong with saying we while referring to your favorite sports team. Strike ended this before it began. Well done strike.

Another one! 😆

Crawling out of the woodwork. 

Just now, double tour said:

Another one! 😆

Crawling out of the woodwork. 

Do fans "win" if their favorite team does? It's nothing more then a collective we. You people take this shitt to serious. 

1 minute ago, crackattack said:

Do fans "win" if their favorite team does? It's nothing more then a collective we. You people take this shitt to serious. 

No they don't win. Hence no rings, no trophies, no bonuses, no recognition, no pay check. 

Well, I own Green Bay Packer stock, which makes me a part owner...so when I say "We", it's literally the truth.  Now if you will excuse me, I have some last minute draft-prep that needs attending.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I try not to say it but it happens. We are all part of a group when it comes to being a fan. We’re all invested so I don’t see an issue with it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, double tour said:

No they don't win. Hence no rings, no trophies, no bonuses, no recognition, no pay check. 

They recognize fans all the time :dunno:. Pro leagues need fans. They need tv viewers. They need paying customers in the stands. Take away fans and the leagues fold. 

4 minutes ago, crackattack said:

They recognize fans all the time :dunno:. Pro leagues need fans. They need tv viewers. They need paying customers in the stands. Take away fans and the leagues fold. 

That is true. But that's the same with movies. When Raiders of the Lost Ark made it big, did you say, "We killed it!!"?

I try not to say it. It sometimes come out when talking about my college team where I actually went to college. The only time I ever feel entitled to say it is when talking about my old high school baseball program where I played or my daughters team where she currently is. 

Same has when conservatives/ liberals say we.  Same team.  The OP is just feeling a little left out.  

7 minutes ago, double tour said:

That is true. But that's the same with movies. When Raiders of the Lost Ark made it big, did you say, "We killed it!!"?

Who knows if people said we after a movie. I don't. Sports are different. I don't know anyone that feels invested in movies the way they do with sports. I mean, it's not a literal we obviously. Like I said earlier, it's a collective/figurative we. 

Why do people ask questions, when it's apparent from their replies they had no interest in the answers offered?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, crackattack said:

Who knows if people said we after a movie. I don't. Sports are different. I don't know anyone that feels invested in movies the way they do with sports. I mean, it's not a literal we obviously. Like I said earlier, it's a collective/figurative we. 

Fair enough. I guess I just see sports as purely entertainment. Same as movies, theater, music, etc. 

6 minutes ago, double tour said:

Fair enough. I guess I just see sports as purely entertainment. Same as movies, theater, music, etc. 

It is entertainment. But it's usually state or regional entertainment. Or if you're an alumni or booster. Or work for a professional/college organization in some form. Plus it's easy to say we, so throw in some laziness too. 

7 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Also, I only say "We" when WE win...they lose on their own.

😂 this 

When I’m out sharing my testimony, and some one will ask , is lying a sin, I’ll say it is, and I’ll some them in God’s Holy Word, The Bible where it states that, one of the usual returns is, we all lie.  It’s a comfort in some situations.  

I say it sometimes.  No im not pretending I am part of the team. Its easier to say than say "the Packers" each time. 

Im not sure how this is that big of a deal.  

After winning ive heard actual players plenty of times say "we did it (insert city name)".  

Too much time on your hands.  

2 hours ago, double tour said:

Thats a really dumb analogy.   But I dont expect different from you.  You are full of them.  

How many handles are you up to?  How many posts?  Do you have a life?  No?

Who gives a fock?  :dunno:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, double tour said:

🤣

We won the game! Yay!

We got a new pitcher! Yay!

We overcharge me for beer at the stadium! Yay!

Do you do this with your local liquor store?

We have Lone Star beer! Yay!

We sold to a minor and are shut down for a week! Yay!

How about the people who ask "How are we doing today?"

😆

Giants & Jets fans do that. 

Another support of "we" is, when discussing the game, it seems that myself and the folks I'm talking to generally use "we/us" for our team and "they/them" for the other team.  Something like, "they played good defense, but we had plenty of scoring opportunities."

• Like 1

Queen thought they had a mega-hit on their hands but "They are the Champions" needed tweaking, since it topped out at #43 on the charts.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Thats a really dumb analogy.   But I dont expect different from you.  You are full of them.  

How many handles are you up to?  How many posts?  Do you have a life?  No?

Good one. You goofballs got nothing else to offer. 

I think it’s common that you just associate with a certain team or teams and it just becomes your identity. 

Like you can say a lot of things to a person personally and they won’t react nearly the same way they might if you said that the team they like sucks. 

I don’t see anything wrong with it. If you’re a Cubs fan since you were a toddler and you’ve been a fan for 45 years, why wouldn’t you say we? You’ve invested a ton of time, money, travel tickets, etc.

Apparently, you all aren't season ticket holders.   You're definitely not part of Chiefs Kingdom.   You're not alumnus of a college or university with a strong athletic program.   You don't own t- shirts, collared shirts, sweaters, hoodies, jackets, coats, hats, etc of one particular team in any given sport and no apparel of any other teams in that sport.   You don't work your schedule around all athletic events in which your favorite team plays.   You haven't been following that same team for 40 years.   And you don't go to a number of games at home and sometimes even away of that same team. And you don't attend championship celebrations. 

Because if you did all that, you wouldn't have to ask the question. 

7 hours ago, Strike said:

Or... /thread

13 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Apparently, you all aren't season ticket holders.   You're definitely not part of Chiefs Kingdom.   You're not alumnus of a college or university with a strong athletic program.   You don't own t- shirts, collared shirts, sweaters, hoodies, jackets, coats, hats, etc of one particular team in any given sport and no apparel of any other teams in that sport.   You don't work your schedule around all athletic events in which your favorite team plays.   You haven't been following that same team for 40 years.   And you don't go to a number of games at home and sometimes even away of that same team. And you don't attend championship celebrations. 

Because if you did all that, you wouldn't have to ask the question. 

As far as I can tell only one person is pushing the mantra that you can't say we, and it's the OP. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

As far as I can tell only one person is pushing the mantra that you can't say we, and it's the OP. 

He's clearly not a true Da Bears fan.  :dunno: 

14 minutes ago, Strike said:

Oh, he's not the only one I get that crap from on here  :bench:

4 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Oh, he's not the only one I get that crap from on here  :bench:

Come on man.  We Chiefs fans have to stick together!!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Strike said:

And Dook :cheers:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Strike said:

I get it. 75 year old chiefs fans are sensitive. Try hard to ban anyone else.

So @Strike and @cmh6476 are the same guy. 

Got it. 

Why do d0uchebags complain about sports fans saying “we”? :dunno:

• Like 1

Just now, IGotWorms said:

Why do d0uchebags complain about sports fans saying “we”? :dunno:

I find it funny. Thought it was a funny topic. I guess it's serious for you. Sorry your feelings are hurt. :dunno: