Sign in to follow this  
TheNewGirl

Strange Man vs Bear Hypothetical

Assuming you guys have seen this? 

What would you prefer your wife/daughter came across in the wild, strange man or a bear? Many people (women and men) choose bear. Because the most the bear can do is kill you. 

Women overwhelmingly, when choosing for themselves, will choose to come  across a bear vs a strange man. reading the comments on these posts on social media (all of them) men seem to get pretty heated over the fact that women would choose a bear. Like they find every reason to argue with this, they can't seem to grasp that some women have a legit fear of being around strange men due to r@pe culture or having been through some kind of assault themselves. 

Thoughts?  What would you choose for your wife/daughter?   All things being equal - strange man or a bear? 

I've come across both while out on the trails, I've been more fearful of the men than the bears. The bears basically leave you alone and move on. The men...you're not so sure of what they will do to a woman out there. 

I'm not going to make a choice for another person but I can totally understand why they would choose the bear.  And god forbid the man be dressed like a woman.  Then I DEFINITELY would prefer they encounter the bear!

• Haha 1

I don't have an opinion on your question, but I will say I always try to be conscious of keeping a wide berth from women that are alone at night or somewhere remote. Especially in parking ramps. I'll even hold a door for a woman, then wait ten seconds or so if I see she's going the same way I am.

Sucks you'd rather see a bear than a dude, but I get it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

I'm not going to make a choice for another person but I can totally understand why they would choose the bear.  And god forbid the man be dressed like a woman.  Then I DEFINITELY would prefer they encounter the bear!

Let's face it: the women likely feel safer encountering a man dressed as a woman than either of the other choices listed.

• Haha 1

I get it so I'm not upset or bothered by it.  As the stronger of the two sexes, this is normal in my opinion.  

Even in the wild smaller animals avoid the larger, stronger and more ferocious animals.  Unless you're a honey badger - then you don't give a f@CK and you'll take on anyone.

• Thanks 1

A bear is not very likely to attack you unless you startle it or get between a mamma bear and her cubs. So I can see the justification for picking bear 

51 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

I get it so I'm not upset or bothered by it.  As the stronger of the two sexes, this is normal in my opinion.  

Even in the wild smaller animals avoid the larger, stronger and more ferocious animals.  Unless you're a honey badger - then you don't give a f@CK and you'll take on anyone.

Because honey badger don't give a shiite. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fnord said:

Let's face it: the women likely feel safer encountering a man dressed as a woman than either of the other choices listed.

I dunno, some of them have some pretty violent mental issues, but I won't go there. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheNewGirl said:

I've come across both while out on the trails, I've been more fearful of the men than the bears. The bears basically leave you alone and move on. The men...you're not so sure of what they will do to a woman out there. 

I understand this is a "how you feel" question.  

But youve probably come across many more strange men than bears out on the trail.  You say the bears basically leave you alone.  Have the men repeated assaulted you?

2 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

But youve probably come across many more strange men than bears out on the trail.  You say the bears basically leave you alone.  Have the men repeated assaulted you?

And isn't it the mama bears that do a lot of the killing of people?  ;)

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

I have not been repeatedly assaulted by men out on the trails, but I have been a victim of assault; both by men I've known/been dating, and men that I've just met and seem relatively nice. They don't simply "leave you alone" like the bear has. 

Point being, if I were to be left alone with a strange man or a bear, the worst thing the bear could do is kill me. The man could do/has done much worse...and if I were to tell people about it, people would either blame me for it, or not believe me at all. It's likely I'd be more believed about being attacked by a bear than a man. 

2 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

And isn't it the mama bears that do a lot of the killing of people?  ;)

Only if you're around their cubs. Bears will either see you as a threat or food. 

Do men see women as a threat or food? 

Just now, TheNewGirl said:

I have not been repeatedly assaulted by men out on the trails, but I have been a victim of assault; both by men I've known/been dating, and men that I've just met and seem relatively nice. They don't simply "leave you alone" like the bear has. 

Point being, if I were to be left alone with a strange man or a bear, the worst thing the bear could do is kill me. The man could do/has done much worse...and if I were to tell people about it, people would either blame me for it, or not believe me at all. It's likely I'd be more believed about being attacked by a bear than a man. 

How many trails do they have in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrob wllllantysiliogogogoch?

Just now, TheNewGirl said:

Only if you're around their cubs. Bears will either see you as a threat or food. 

Do men see women as a threat or food? 

Neither.  More like a necessary evil.  ;)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, TheNewGirl said:

I understand the question and the jist of answering how you did.  

Just trying to answer as real as I can.  Not sure Id choose to send a my gf down a hiking path with an adult bear coming towards her over a male she didn't know.  

Is it in a bathroom?  If you are locked in a bathroom with a wild adult bear ill say it probably has more odds of going poorly than a male you don't know.  By a wide margin.  I understand what can happen with a creepy up to no good adult male.  But I would have to take my chances if forced to choose.   

I sense the trepidation of females met out in the wild.  It is palpable.  I try to project a nonthreatening manner, but then so too, probably, do predators.  I acknowledge them, do not press my presence on them with any interaction beyond a greeting, and I move right along.  If they initiate conversation so be it, but I do not.  I feel sorry for them that their experience out in nature is dampened by my presence, but I understand it.  

How about you don’t go out in the wild alone? 

• Confused 1

“A bear” is pretty vague.   A polar bear?  I’ll take the strange guy every time, cause that bear will hunt, kill, and eat you.   Perhaps the worst it’s going to do is not kill you first before it starts eating.

Black bears?   I’ll take the bear every time.

Highly recommend you listen to the ending of “Grizzly Man” if you think getting eaten alive is no big deal.

6 minutes ago, gas said:

Highly recommend you listen to the ending of “Grizzly Man” if you think getting eaten alive is no big deal.

Yes, I was thinking it’s no big deal until I listened to  that. Thanks for the enlightenment.  

What if it’s Jim McMahon or mini Ditka?

Also, this is not an analogy. :dunno:

The information about the type of bear isn't needed, nor is telling the woman to "not go out alone." This is kind of how we/women are proving the point of r@pe culture. 

We can't tell by looking at a man whether he is dangerous or not. And telling us not to go out alone assumes that it's our fault for being out alone, aka victim blaming.  

Some of these comments on this thread are pretty much proving the point of why so many women pick bear. 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, frank said:

What if it’s Jim McMahon or mini Ditka?

Also, this is not an analogy. :dunno:

You're right, it's a hypothetical. Sorry. 

26 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

The information about the type of bear isn't needed, nor is telling the woman to "not go out alone." This is kind of how we/women are proving the point of r@pe culture. 

We can't tell by looking at a man whether he is dangerous or not. And telling us not to go out alone assumes that it's our fault for being out alone, aka victim blaming.  

Some of these comments on this thread are pretty much proving the point of why so many women pick bear. 🤷‍♀️

I was specifically referring to the wild, as it was laid out in the question. And I’d say that applies to everyone.  I’d like a salad. 

17 hours ago, TheNewGirl said:

Many people (women and men) choose bear. Because the most the bear can do is kill you. 

Isn’t that the most the strange man can do? I doubt many victims of sexual assault would rather have been killed.

Forget strange man — is there anything weirder than a man-hating Trumper?! :shocking:

Am I the only one that read the thread title as it being about a strange/bizarre/interesting man vs bear situation?  I was thinking the bear is going to win every time. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Forget strange man — is there anything weirder than a man-hating Trumper?! :shocking:

The GC ones are more interested in trannies than women.

What if it's a combination man, bear, and pig?

2 hours ago, TheNewGirl said:

Ehhh.  Not following what exactly you are saying.  

What comments?  Lol. So agree or point is proven?  

This is one of the stangest threads recently.  

2 hours ago, MDC said:

The GC ones are more interested in trannies than women.

Wait, PEDOCRATS think Trannies are Women 😂 🌈 

2 hours ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Stud! 

Keep sucking that Putin cack, Trumper! :doublethumbsup:

21 hours ago, Fnord said:

Not true.  If it was a real tranny who is passable, then yes.  But if it is one of those perverted freaks with hairy legs, big fake titties and horrendous make-up, then she would run like he11.    

3 hours ago, MDC said:

Isn’t that the most the strange man can do? I doubt many victims of sexual assault would rather have been killed.

The logic of a women vs. the cold bloody reality are usually not the same.   For instance you could ask women who suffer the most during war, and many if not most women would be convinced it is the women.  

43 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Keep sucking that Putin cack, Trumper! :doublethumbsup:

As opposed to the Biden cack you're slobbering on? 😂 

On 5/1/2024 at 8:37 AM, MDC said:

I am not really even sure that this post deserves a response. 

Have you talked to many SA survivors?