Sign in to follow this  
Alias Detective

A question about gun safety

Yes, especially in the inner cities of Chicago. They seem to have a lot of problems with teens not knowing how to work guns properly.

No. There's only one lesson for gun safety. Don't own a gun and you will be safe.

:lol:

I took a hunter safety class in California. It was two Saturdays, and a bunch of people acted like if they showed up, they would pass. I listened and studied and got one answer wrong out of a hundred. You should have seen the looks on the faces of the guys who realized they would not get to hunt. haha.

I took hunters safety after school before being able to get a hunting license. 7th grade I think?

Same here.

I took hunters safety after school before being able to get a hunting license. 7th grade I think?

I did the same when I was I think 10 or 11. Also when I was 13 took a boating class so I could drive boats as well. My kids will take all of that as well as a gun safety class

It was part of PE in Wyoming in the 8th grade, everyone boys and girls had to take the gun safety coarse.

Of course it was repeat for me, because my dad had me take gun safety when i was in 6th grade.

Yes, especially in the inner cities of Chicago. They seem to have a lot of problems with teens not knowing how to work guns properly.

Be comical when the teacher starts class and says "Ok we will have some gun safety demonstration on Monday....raise your hand if you need to borrow one of the school purchased guns to use for class..............nobody?"

"Nah...we all got one"

So, exactly how long does a gun safety class take? It's a fairly simple concept.

I believe it was four classes over two weeks, but it was a long time ago.

So, exactly how long does a gun safety class take? It's a fairly simple concept.

The concept of not pointing a loaded weapon at friends and loved ones or yourself is surprisingly lost on many. Then there's checking the barrel, working the safety, not being from Florida, basically the things that get people killed. I can't imagine the class taking longer than 15 min tho for a level headed intelligent person. The thing is, level headed intelligent people already know not to go anywhere near guns.

I don't understand how you can have such a cool Big Sky name and a puzzy cityfolk attitude. You disappointment me.

I agree. Don't be such a puss. A car is more dangerous than a dam gun yet I'm sure you get in it every day. Guns are dangerous yea but I've been handling them since I was 8 (BB gun) then when I was 10 got a 20 gauge shotgun for Christmas. Been handling them for over 20 years without hurting myself, anyone else, or going on a shooting spree. And if you look at the number of people who legally own guns and use them you'll find that over 97% of them are the exact same way

I agree. Don't be such a puss. A car is more dangerous than a dam gun yet I'm sure you get in it every day. Guns are dangerous yea but I've been handling them since I was 8 (BB gun) then when I was 10 got a 20 gauge shotgun for Christmas. Been handling them for over 20 years without hurting myself, anyone else, or going on a shooting spree. And if you look at the number of people who legally own guns and use them you'll find that over 97% of them are the exact same way

So if everyone had a gun it would be just as safe as everyone having a car? Saying a car is more dangerous than a gun is just silly. Is there some dual purpose to a gun that I'm unaware of? It's designed to kill, a car isn't. A car is used for its purpose every day. If a gun was used for its purpose every day I think it would be a bit more dangerous.

Great, you didn't go on a shooting spree. That settles it then, everyone should get a gun. Because everyone is just like you.

So if everyone had a gun it would be just as safe as everyone having a car? Saying a car is more dangerous than a gun is just silly. Is there some dual purpose to a gun that I'm unaware of? It's designed to kill, a car isn't. A car is used for its purpose every day. If a gun was used for its purpose every day I think it would be a bit more dangerous.

No s*** d*** Tracy. However more people are killed every day from cars than guns and that is a fact. I already stated guns were dangerous but to say "don't touch a gun and you'll be safe" is silly itself. Sack up. Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Great, you didn't go on a shooting spree. That settles it then, everyone should get a gun. Because everyone is just like you.

I'm not saying everyone go get a gun either. I'm saying don't be a little b**** about it

No s*** d*** Tracy. However more people are killed every day from cars than guns and that is a fact. I already stated guns were dangerous but to say "don't touch a gun and you'll be safe" is silly itself. Sack up. Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

You did say a gun is dangerous. You also said a car is more dangerous. Did you take any sort of statistics classes in college? Because it's just silly to correlate the two.

You did say a gun is dangerous. You also said a car is more dangerous. Did you take any sort of statistics classes in college? Because it's just silly to correlate the two.

Bye Felicia. I'm done talking about it

Bye Felicia. I'm done talking about it

I would bet everything I have that I have put more rounds down range than you could ever dream about.

I would bet everything I have that I have put more rounds down range than you could ever dream about.

Lol unless you're a 60 year old man who's been shooting his whole life I doubt it. I've been proven wrong before but that's one area I'm pretty sure I got locked down. That and accuracy

Lol unless you're a 60 year old man who's been shooting his whole life I doubt it. I've been proven wrong before but that's one area I'm pretty sure I got locked down. That and accuracy

Unless you were in my battalion 1984-88 and assigned to a weapons platoon I doubt it. Never mind the 20 years at my other job. You couldn't afford to shoot that much.

I don't understand how you can have such a cool Big Sky name and a puzzy cityfolk attitude. You disappointment me.

I give passes to law enforcement or people who hunt for sport. But those who have guns to supposedly protect their family or are just paranoid should not have guns.

I give passes to law enforcement or people who hunt for sport. But those who have guns to supposedly protect their family or are just paranoid should not have guns.

What about those that just enjoy going to the range with some friends or by themselves?

Unless you were in my battalion 1984-88 and assigned to a weapons platoon I doubt it. Never mind the 20 years at my other job. You couldn't afford to shoot that much.

As I said I could be wrong cause I have before but there's no way we can tell. Judging from things you prob got a good 10+ years on me but I've still fired quite a bit of rounds. Honestly in one day I've emptied 100,000 rounds easily from the machine gun I rented for part of my bachelor party.

What about those that just enjoy going to the range with some friends or by themselves?

Grey area. Neither recommended nor frowned upon by me. It shows an understanding of order and procedure despite lack of professional training.

Grey area. Neither recommended nor frowned upon by me. It shows an understanding of order and procedure despite lack of professional training.

I've got 18 years in the army and like shooting clay targets, I'm cool right?

Honestly I don't think if someone owns a gun is paranoid. Even centuries ago everyone owned a gun for protection. Now if they have a bunker stockpiled with weapons that's paranoid. I've heard of way too many home invasions that would make me want to have some protection. I don't think that's paranoid. Especially if you live in a rough neighborhood. Growing up I lived in a nice neighborhood but it was maybe a 20 minute walk from a rough neighborhood (small town). There were break ins and theft quite a bit until one of them got shot trying to enter our neighbors house who is a preacher. More people started actually owning a firearm and the guys got scared

I've got 18 years in the army and like shooting clay targets, I'm cool right?

Nice. I like to shoot trap and skeet all the time. Got two nice guns I use for them. Trying to get the one that changes out barrels between skeet and trap shooting

Nice. I like to shoot trap and skeet all the time. Got two nice guns I use for them. Trying to get the one that changes out barrels between skeet and trap shooting

Took my new over/under out yesterday, fun as all hell

Took my new over/under out yesterday, fun as all hell

Went earlier today. Was raining yesterday. Usually either go there or to the range every weekend.

Makes sense in rural outdoorsy type areas. Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, etc.

But otherwise, no

Yes. It would involve a single power point slide, and perhaps 15 minutes of time. DO NOT TOUCH A GUN, EVER, lesson over.

If it takes more than 15 minutes then all participants should automatically be disqualified from owning a gun.

It's pretty simple. Don't point the gun at anything you're not prepared to kill, never point it at yourself or look down the barrel, always clear the weapon, always assume it's loaded. Show them how to clear it, how to load it, how to clean it, and have them use it at the range for a couple of clips. That's about all you really need

It's pretty simple. Don't point the gun at anything you're not prepared to kill, never point it at yourself or look down the barrel, always clear the weapon, always assume it's loaded. Show them how to clear it, how to load it, how to clean it, and have them use it at the range for a couple of clips. That's about all you really need

Maybe we can add in a requirement to maintain a sense of empathy for others?

Maybe we can add in a requirement to maintain a sense of empathy for others?

It's really a quick list but that's the basics of what people should know. If it's gotten to the point I have to draw my gun then I'm shooting to kill. Sorry but that's what is going to happen IF I'm forced to draw my weapon (someone has broken in my house). If I can help it I won't shoot but I'm prepared to shoot to kill if the need arises