Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

The ***Official*** Grilling & BBQ Season 2015 Thread

It's that time of year to grill meat over open flames. So lets here em. Sauces, rubs, recipes, tips, any and everything to do with grilling.

I have two grills, both made by Weber. A two burner gas grill (Spirit 210) on the back deck that I use most as its easy, and a dome charcoal grill that I break out from time to time.

I do the standard stuff, steak, chicken, salmon, burgers. Sometimes I'll get fancy and do some veggies on the barbie. My go too seasoning is Montreal seasoning. All pretty standard stuff, but looking to venture out a bit.

Also, for some reason I cannot grill without drinking a beer. It's the damnedest thing. I physically cannot do it. And I'm not a huge drinker either.

1. Just now? Oh man, grilling season is going on 2 months now in Texas.

2. I have a 3-burner Grill Master - this sumbiatch gets upwards of 900 degrees... Also a Weber charcoal grill and an Oklahoma Joe smoker.

3. I grill all kinds of stuff - but I hardly ever use store bought seasonings. I always make my own... I enjoy smoking meats more than anything though - that's where the fun is. Briskets, ribs and pork shoulders are my thing.

4. I get nervous if I see anyone not drinking beer when over a grill. I'm mean seriously - they must be focked up.

5. Big fan of keeping my equipment clean - extra clean in fact. Always do a major overhaul clean up job on my grills and smoker at the start of the season.

1. Just now? Oh man, grilling season is going on 2 months now in Texas.

2. I have a 3-burner Grill Master - this sumbiatch gets upwards of 900 degrees... Also a Weber charcoal grill and an Oklahoma Joe smoker.

3. I grill all kinds of stuff - but I hardly ever use store bought seasonings. I always make my own... I enjoy smoking meat more than anything though - that's where the fun is. Briskets, ribs and pork shoulders are my thing.

4. I get nervous if I see anyone not drinking beer when over a grill. I'm mean seriously - they must be focked up.

5. Big fan of keeping my equipment clean - extra clean in fact. Always do a major overhaul clean up job on my grills and smoker at the start of the season.

Besides cremating folks, what do you do at 900 degrees? Some sort of searing?

Ha, I have no idea. But yea I do actually do some searing at that range .... But it is great for cleaning stuff too - I'll crank it up to kill germs and stuff on some of my cooking gear.

he's messican, they need 900 to boil the water.

Potatoes :thumbsup:

I do get sweet potatoes, cut them short wise into circles about a 1/8 of an inch thick, rub some olive oil on them w/ salt and pepper and grill them on each side. Grill marks on the outside and cooked in the center. Sort of like fancy smancy potato chips.

I do get sweet potatoes, cut them short wise into circles about a 1/8 of an inch thick, rub some olive oil on them w/ salt and pepper and grill them on each side. Grill marks on the outside and cooked in the center. Sort of like fancy smancy potato chips.

I basically do the same. Never tried it with sweet potatoes though, good call :thumbsup:

It's that time of year to grill meat over open flames. So lets here em. Sauces, rubs, recipes, tips, any and everything to do with grilling.

I grill year-round, and thought most real men did the same. :dunno:

I have a Weber genesis i got last year. last week when the grill got to 500* and i was about to scrape and oil the grates the left side of the lid handle popped off...then the right... I had a searing hot grill and steaks ready to go and no way to open/close the lid... :mad: i ended up getting some pliers and was able to grab an edge to finish cooking the meal. Weber sending replacement parts but i was shocked as the grill seemed utterly rock solid...Hopefully it was just some manuf. defect.

My tip of the day is summer squash and zucchini on the grill... This is a most excellent and healthy side dish for pretty much anything you cook. Trouble is most people make the mistake of cutting circles and threading on a skewer, which is cumbersome and leads to various issues of the disks falling off or spinning or just charring on one edge...

The solution: Cut them lengthwise, like planks about 1/4"-1/2" wide. Put them in a big ziplock baggie with a little olive oil, S&P. Then you can grill them without worrying about falling through the grates, and you can get a nice crispy exterior that is fantastic. I finish the planks with a little grated parmesan cheese after taking them off the grill and they are awesome. Can do the same deal with eggplant.

I also will take russet baking potatoes and cut in half lengthwise, then do it two more times so you have 8 wedges per potato. Those are big enough to not fall through the grates and finish in 20-30 minutes, roughly the same time you take cooking everything else. Same method, little olive oil, paprika, S&P.

The other day i took giant portobella mushroom caps, cleaned stem/gills, season with oil S&P and grilled for 3-4 minutes stem side down, then i flipped them over and topped with shaved tomato, garlic salt, and a little italian cheese mix and let it finish cooking/melting the cheese... Very good as well.

I've been messing around with chicken and brining, and found the brine is absolutely huge. My father in law was asking me if the chicken thighs i cooked were specialty organic because they were so juicy. So i explained the brine process and he seems a little freaked out being an old school italian.. the mother in law thought i was crazy patting them down out of the brine. My issue is figuring out whether to rinse, or just pat down the chicken. I think a rinse takes away a little too much of the salt taste but it depends on how long you brine for. I'm still tinkering with it.

Lol, im worried my neighbors think im an alchy since i grill dinner for the fam basically every night and i can't grill without a beer.

Agree with #5, i do a yearly overhaul cleaning out the inside/outside of the grill, grates, burners, and everything. If you don't you'll develop hot spots and have more flareups and everything. The weber is very easy to clean as everything slides out of comes apart very easily

Another good side dish is to chop a sweet onion into about 8 wedges (or just peel and core the onion a little to make a pocket with the seasonings), make a foil packet, put some butter and beef bouillon granules and some pepper, wrap it up and let it go for 30-40 minutes. Ends up kind of like french onion soup onions and are great with steak or really anything.

I've been messing around with chicken and brining, and found the brine is absolutely huge. My father in law was asking me if the chicken thighs i cooked were specialty organic because they were so juicy. So i explained the brine process and he seems a little freaked out being an old school italian.. the mother in law thought i was crazy patting them down out of the brine. My issue is figuring out whether to rinse, or just pat down the chicken. I think a rinse takes away a little too much of the salt taste but it depends on how long you brine for. I'm still tinkering with it.

When you remove your poultry from the brine just place it in an open container and place it in the frig uncover to air dry. Once you are ready to season/rub I would suggest spraying/rubbing with olive oil to help the seasoning/rub hold and this will also help give you a crispier skin.

When grilling chicken or seafood - I always grill lemon halves as well. They caramelize and add an incredible flavor when squeezed on your protein or veggies.

Sides/appitizers I make frequestly

Bruschetta

Stuffed shroom caps

smoked mac and cheese

Baked beans

Corn on the Cobb

Green Beans- Dutch oven

Garlic Bread

Baby Blond tator salad

Smoked Salsa

Like cruzer said it's been grilling season here in texas the past 2 months. I've got a weber tru infrared propane grill. Love it and keep it clean. Just grilled some Akaushi steaks (29.99 a pound but dam the taste) Monday and good god man they were amazing. My buddy has a smoke stack and wood burning grill. He cooks a brisket and pork butt when we have pool parties at his house. Uses only salt and peppercorns. Cooks it low and slow

Like cruzer said it's been grilling season here in texas the past 2 months. I've got a weber tru infrared propane grill. Love it and keep it clean. Just grilled some Akaushi steaks (29.99 a pound but dam the taste) Monday and good god man they were amazing. My buddy has a smoke stack and wood burning grill. He cooks a brisket and pork butt when we have pool parties at his house. Uses only salt and peppercorns. Cooks it low and slow

Living in FL I didn't realize there was a non-grilling season :bandana:

No it's warm all year round there. It just rains every day around 2 lol

I grill year round in MASS, got a natural gas line hooked to my Weber, no tanks...couple winters ago I hadn't even started, was just burning off prior grilling drippings while waiting for triple A to come for my wife's mini van. Guy was like "Dude, that smells focking awesome, I'm getting a steak on my dinner break"

I just spent a week down in Delray Beach and up and down Ft. Lauderdale/Miami/Palm beach. I am ready to move there and start a Cowboys nation colony. :D

I just spent a week down in Delray Beach and up and down Ft. Lauderdale/Miami/Palm beach. I am ready to move there and start a Cowboys nation colony. :D

Keep that chit in Tex.

Just a heads up to those of you who do use charcoal, best weekend of the year to load up on coals. Lowes has Kingsford 2 paks of 18.6 LB bags for $9.88, limit 2 per customer, that's why I bring the wife :banana:

• Like 1

Cabbage on the grill (for something different)

1.Cut a whole cabbage into separate wedges

2. Put a slice of onion on each wedge

3. Wrap bacon around the onion and wedge to keep the onion in place

4. Wrap the individual wedges separately with aluminum foil

5. throw on the grill and close lid for about 45 minutes at 425* - 450*

You will know they are ready when the cabbage is soft by squeezing with the tongs when removing from the grill

Salt and pepper to taste

Enjoy.

I like to occasionally throw some pineapple or peaches on the grill. Pretty dang good

Always grilling season in FL but I love to take advantage of the spring and summer sales on charcoal. Usually grab a few of the large Kingford twin packs during this time.

I work in Delray and live in West Palm. Nice area but too many out of towners :wave:

Going a little GFIAFP here but thought I'd add an alternative to bbq sauce:

Roast a Polblano, couple Jalepenos, and a head of garlic on the grill. Toss in a food processor or blender and add mayo, bunch of cilantro, half a bunch of mint, couple dashes of cayenne, little salt and mix all together for an aioli that goes well with bbq tacos.

Not my recipe but can't remember where I got it from to credit.

Going a little GFIAFP here but thought I'd add an alternative to bbq sauce:

Roast a Polblano, couple Jalepenos, and a head of garlic on the grill. Toss in a food processor or blender and add mayo, bunch of cilantro, half a bunch of mint, couple dashes of cayenne, little salt and mix all together for an aioli that goes well with bbq tacos.

Don't forget to use the garlic bread!

But that does sound delicious. Love peppers and spicy stuff

I work in Delray and live in West Palm. Nice area but too many out of towners :wave:

Visited and stayed with my uncle, he lives in Delray off of Atlantic.... I am in total love with that place - seriously would like to live there one day.... Ha, and omg - everyone was from NY or Jersey. And Jews out the ass - I have never seen so many in one place... I'm not knocking them - but there are definitely a different kind of breed.

Visited and stayed with my uncle, he lives in Delray off of Atlantic.... I am in total love with that place - seriously would like to live there one day.... Ha, and omg - everyone was from NY or Jersey. And Jews out the ass - I have never seen so many in one place... I'm not knocking them - but there are definitely a different kind of breed.

You nailed it. We are south NY, little NY, etc... especially during snowbird season. The real estate market has brought in a ton of Canadians taking advantage over the past 5-6 years also. At one time Boca Raton was the highest concentration of Jews in the US per capita. It's funny, the local paper had an article regarding the top reasons why we love to see the snowbirds go home. It turned into a real entertaining back and forth on facebook between snowbirds and locals.

Been around Florida quite a bit when I was younger. Played ball in a bunch of different places there. One of my favorite places was Clear Water. They had an amazing pizza joint there. I'm not sure if it's where your at but the place is called Sal's pizza. Also remember going Krabby Mikes after we got done doing some deep sea fishing and bringing our fish there to be cooked.

Clearwater is on the west coast just outside of Tampa and St. Pete. I lived in Tampa for a number of years and agree that it is a great place. We have a chain of pizzarias called Sal's down south that iss really good but not sure if they are affiliated.

Grilled shrimp.

Make a mixture of Teriyaki sauce and "Mrs Dash" Fiesta Lime seasoning in a bowl. Don't skimp on the seasoning. Let your fresh shrimp marinate in said marinade for even just an hour or so.

long tooth picks poked through the "head" and "tail" sections to keep your shrimp from curling up while on the grill.

you can also sprinkle a little more fiesta lime seasoning on them while they grill.

f'ing delicious.

they go great with a nice bottle of blue moon

I pretty much grill all year. (Weber genesis for gas and a weber kettle for charcoal and smoking a butt or two)

Rubs...im partial to a mix of lawrys, smoked paprika, cumin, and fresh ground pepper

I use a lot of dry rub...mostly from Penzey's. I'll put the meat in a gallon ziplock and use Olive Oil and some sort of Citrus Juice to cut into the meat. Then heavily sprinkle with our favorite dry rubs.

I also use a sh!t load of tin foil. I tend to wrap my veggies and potatoes in the tin foil for easy flipping. Plus it holds the butter/olive oil in, without flaring up the grill.

We are just starting to get some good corn on the cob up here. Our other favorites are carrot/green beans, zucchini, cauliflower, and asparagus.

There are some good herbal/salad dressing rubs you can get there that are light and fantastic on the grilled veggies.

:wub:

Made some burgs tonight. 80/20 with some chopped bacon, jalapeño and cheddar mixed in. Turned on good. Need a new grill soon. Been cooking on the same 100$ charcoal grill for 5-6 years now. It's starting to fall apart. Will probably just grab another cheap charcoal grill. Not a huge fan of gas grills.

Made some burgs tonight. 80/20 with some chopped bacon, jalapeño and cheddar mixed in. Turned on good. Need a new grill soon. Been cooking on the same 100$ charcoal grill for 5-6 years now. It's starting to fall apart. Will probably just grab another cheap charcoal grill. Not a huge fan of gas grills.

Taste the meat not the heat!

And personally I like the convenience of a gas grill. Probably will end up buying a wood burning grill with a smoke stack on it

I live in western NY. I've grilled in a snowstorm many a time :bandana:

I always brine chops and pork. Very little fat so it dries out quick.