Sign in to follow this  
MDC

Republican state lawmaker trying to bar food stamp recipients from buying ...

I'm ok with that. Not going to happen though. Big agriculture runs the food stamp program, and they paid good money to be in charge.

Seafood such as tilapia and catfish should be encouraged. It is healthy and cheap.

• Like 1

Say a woman recently eating a pound of boiled shrimp whilst doing her shopping. When she checked out, she used her food stamp card to pay for them.fawking nasty.

I also saw a woman try to pay for dog food with her card. When the cashier told her that she couldnt, she went and got ground beef and said, "Fawk y'all then! My dogs eating steak then. I'm hmmmmmmm!"

Seafood I'm not so supportive of, steak, maybe. But chips and soda? Absolutely.

It's also asinine that people act like any limitations on how you can use your FREE MONEY is an abuse of human rights.

Say a woman recently eating a pound of boiled shrimp whilst doing her shopping. When she checked out, she used her food stamp card to pay for them.fawking nasty.

I also saw a woman try to pay for dog food with her card. When the cashier told her that she couldnt, she went and got ground beef and said, "Fawk y'all then! My dogs eating steak then. I'm hmmmmmmm!"

Wow. I really wanna say I'm surprised, but I'm just really not.

It's also asinine that people act like any limitations on how you can use your FREE MONEY is an abuse of human rights.

Stuff like this does seem petty. Food is food, seems like overkill from this guy.

But you are right, there is something rather absurd about complaining about what you can buy with your free money given to you by taxpayers.

They shouldn't be able to buy anything with food stamps. They should recieve a bag of rice and a block of cheese once a month.

And in typical Geek Club fashion we go to the extreme.

What's the purpose of food stamps? Is it not to help provide a basic human need (nourishment) to those who cannot afford it? A rather noble cause most any developed nation should do. With that said I see no problem with basic food items and groups only be eligible that provides said nourishment. Bread, milk, proteins (including steak and fish), fruits, veggies, nuts, bottled water, etc.

Things like candy, soda, beer, cigs, potato chips deserts should not. (If they are).

Seems reasonable to me.

Banning junk food purchases with food stamps makes some sense but it seems like it'd be hard to police in practice.

No Doritos? Okay. But what about just regular tortilla chips and salsa? Issues like that.

The other issue is that actual healthy food is, for the most part, fairly expensive. If we're going to tell food stamp recipients that they have to stick to the produce aisle, then be prepared to shell out more money for the program.

Steak and seafood...I mean I can see how people might think "Jesus, these guys are eating better than I do!" But seafood is very good for you and like MTSkiBum said, some of it is pretty cheap. As for steak I can see if they're getting ribeye or filet mignon on a regular basis, but stew meat and the like would count as steak too and that stuff is pretty fockin cheap.

To be clear, I feel this way in real life too, not just on this forum.

If welfies want to eat delicious food, they should work for it like the rest of us. At the very least, welfies should be "on call" to do various tasks for taxpayers. I have a winters worth of dog crap on my lawnthat needs to be cleaned up, and that would be a perfect job for them.

Banning junk food purchases with food stamps makes some sense but it seems like it'd be hard to police in practice.

No Doritos? Okay. But what about just regular tortilla chips and salsa? Issues like that.

I'm not going to pretend to know how food stamps and WIC cards work. However it's my understanding there is some sort of method already to mark items as "non eligible" don't they? Or can you buy anything in the grocery store?

Let them buy what they want as long as it's food. No cigs or the like. But first and foremost, they must pass a drug test to receive them.

I'm not going to pretend to know how food stamps and WIC cards work. However it's my understanding there is some sort of method already to mark items as "non eligible" don't they? Or can you buy anything in the grocery store?

I think there is. Obviously you can't buy stuff like beer and cigs (or at least I'm pretty sure you can't).

But those are broad categories - I think it'd be harder to say you can't buy Doritos but you can buy all natural blue corn tortilla chips. How is the shopper going to know what's eligible and what isn't until they get to the checkout line?

Let them buy what they want as long as it's food. No cigs or the like. But first and foremost, they must pass a drug test to receive them.

Why do you hate the Fourth Amendment?

Why do you hate the Fourth Amendment?

Then no one should be subjected to them. Is that what people like you think?

Then no one should be subjected to them. Is that what people like you think?

Does not compute :wacko:

April 19, 2012

The Congressional Budget Office said Thursday that 45 million people in 2011 received Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits, a 70% increase from 2007. It said the number of people receiving the benefits, commonly known as food stamps, would continue growing until 2014.

Spending for the program, not including administrative costs, rose to $72 billion in 2011, up from $30 billion four years earlier. The CBO projected that one in seven U.S. residents received food stamps last year.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/04/19/food-stamp-rolls-to-grow-through-2014-cbo-says/

Every 2 bit bodega in the hood takes food stamps. Good luck policing that. Food stamps are currency, and they are traded for everything. But it doesn't matter, big agriculture, wal-mart and the like have a great interest in things staying status quo, so you may see a meaningless tweek to the program, but that's it. Voters wants and wishes only count at election time, once that's over, it's back to U.S.A. INC. LLC

Every 2 bit bodega in the hood takes food stamps. Good luck policing that. Food stamps are currency, and they are traded for everything. But it doesn't matter, big agriculture, wal-mart and the like have a great interest in things staying status quo, so you may see a meaningless tweek to the program, but that's it. Voters wants and wishes only count at election time, once that's over, it's back to U.S.A. INC. LLC

This is a pretty good point.

Say no junk food with food stamps. Do you think PepsiCo is going to like that policy? Will you be expecting the support of ConAgra? Might their political contrubtions effect things?

How about no steak? How do you think the various cattle rancher's associations are going to respond? Will you be expecting the support of congressional representatives from Texas, Nebraska and Oklahoma?

What's the purpose of food stamps? Is it not to help provide a basic human need (nourishment) to those who cannot afford it? A rather noble cause most any developed nation should do. With that said I see no problem with basic food items and groups only be eligible that provides said nourishment. Bread, milk, proteins (including steak and fish), fruits, veggies, nuts, bottled water, etc.

Things like candy, soda, beer, cigs, potato chips deserts should not. (If they are).

Seems reasonable to me.

:thumbsup:

Stop all entitlements. Unemployment, food stamps, Medicare, social security all of them. Take all that money plus all the billions it takes to administer all of them. Divide it by number if adults in America who make < 100k, and each received a base govt check per month. Let's say it's 500 bucks a month. Done. It's called the Basic Human Necessity Check. Nobody should ever go hungry and could have a roof over your head.

Simplify the whole system and reduce costs. Could lower taxes with cost savings.

I should clarify that there aren't actual stamps anymore, it's done with a card now, but that gets traded as well.

Stop all entitlements. Unemployment, food stamps, Medicare, social security all of them. Take all that money plus all the billions it takes to administer all of them. Divide it by number if adults in America who make < 100k, and each received a base govt check per month. Let's say it's 500 bucks a month. Done. It's called the Basic Human Necessity Check. Nobody should ever go hungry and could have a roof over your head.

Simplify the whole system and reduce costs. Could lower taxes with cost savings.

Sounds nice but there are reasons things are not that simple.

For one thing, what do you do with people who can't help themselves? They spend that money on stupid sh!t instead of basic necessities. They're fault, right? Well sure, but are you really going to let them starve as a result? Or go untreated with a serious medical condition? Or live on the street?

And consider that they'll be living on YOUR street. They'll be begging for food in YOUR neighborhood.

Then what about people that need more than others? End Medicare? Okay, but what about the 70 year old lady that needs twelve medications a day to survive? What about the person who needs a transplant or gets in a bad accident?

You always like to simplify everything but it isn't a simple world.

Bring back work camps. You want a check, come work. I got a ton of pot holes that need filled

Sounds nice but there are reasons things are not that simple.

For one thing, what do you do with people who can't help themselves? They spend that money on stupid sh!t instead of basic necessities. They're fault, right? Well sure, but are you really going to let them starve as a result? Or go untreated with a serious medical condition? Or live on the street?

And consider that they'll be living on YOUR street. They'll be begging for food in YOUR neighborhood.

Then what about people that need more than others? End Medicare? Okay, but what about the 70 year old lady that needs twelve medications a day to survive? What about the person who needs a transplant or gets in a bad accident?

You always like to simplify everything but it isn't a simple world.

Too stupid to buy food with your check, too bad. Go hungry.

The rest of your post is covered by Obamacare.

Too stupid to buy food with your check, too bad. Go hungry.

The rest of your post is covered by Obamacare.

Maybe you misunderstood KSB's post? Would seem he is proposing no obamacare.

I'm not surprised you've bought into a simplistic line of thinking though. Dumbasses usually do

Completely screws every senior citizen that spent their life paying into the system.

I paid way too much in to SS to let it be given away without a fight. Especially to those greedy f-ks on Wall Street.

Yeah, that will get someone elected. :rolleyes:

I think we can do this much easier. I read recently that one state put in a requirement for non-disabled people getting welfare/food-stamps from this particular state. They could chose from a few options, one of which was to do 24 hours of volunteer work per month if you were not disabled.

The results were beyond belief.

Nearly 9000 folks with no children who were previously getting welfare/food-stamps simply took themselves off because they did want to do the minimal requirement.

All they did was a pass a bill and it took care of itself.

I understand most here are just going to flip on on this post because I am the one making it. Know this. I left a ton out of this post in an effort to make this about substance vs attacking the messenger because he is a cripple. :cheers:

Completely screws every senior citizen that spent their life paying into the system.

It's going to happen eventually anyway. SS is not solvent.

It's going to happen eventually anyway. SS is not solvent.

No it's not and yes it is. You need to do some homework on the subject. People and groups that want to get their hands on it are feeding you that story.

KSB gets fed a lot of stories. Dude doesn't seem dumb but he's sure willing to believe almost anything from the right wing spin machine

i bought some fake crab earlier today. Trans-ocean brand. On sale. $2.50 for a package. But, I used ibotta, so I get $1 cash back. So, I turned $2.50 in snap dollars into one real dollar, and, ZOMG! SEAFOODDD!!!! You know what tastes even better than free seafood? Getting paid to eat free seafood.

You know what really should be banned though, is soda. I spend a lot of my food stamps on coca-cola and starbucks iced coffees.

You know what is oneof the cheapest things you can buy? Sardines. You can buy a big can of sardines for under a dollar. I hate sardines.

That fake crab is not bad. I make it just like I would tunafish, little light mayo and chopped celery. Pepper. Put it on bread.

KSB gets fed a lot of stories. Dude doesn't seem dumb but he's sure willing to believe almost anything from the right wing spin machine

You made me question my memory so I googled, and nope I was right. Forbes, even the ultra liberal Huffington Post all report SS will not be able to pay its debts by 2033/2034. The current path isn't sustainable.