Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

How much is "too much" to pay for a steak

No surprise who started the thread.

No surprise your jealous ass would say this. But alas jealousy is a tough pill to swallow. There's people here who are friends with me on FB that have seen where and what I ate last night that can attest to that. I'm a connoisseur when it comes to food and don't mind paying for expensive meals when it's delicious. Plus I make a comfortable living to where I can afford it. Still, sometimes I wonder what's too much for a steak cause over $100 for one is kinda crazy to me

No surprise your jealous ass would say this. But alas jealousy is a tough pill to swallow. There's people here who are friends with me on FB that have seen where and what I ate last night that can attest to that. I'm a connoisseur when it comes to food and don't mind paying for expensive meals when it's delicious. Plus I make a comfortable living to where I can afford it. Still, sometimes I wonder what's too much for a steak cause over $100 for one is kinda crazy to me

do you have wine with your meals?

do you have wine with your meals?

Nah. Maybe sometimes but hardly ever. I'll get nice food at places like that or head to a place like I did in Charleston that was half cafe half laundromat that had a Nutella custard shake with marshmallows on top that they use a flame torch to toast the marshmallows. Both ends of the spectrum when it comes to food as long as it's good. Thread wasn't even intended to brag about going to eat at a nice restaurant but vudu can't seem to help himself cause he probably couldn't afford those places until he was in his 40s

I cannot remember the last time I ordered a Steak at a restaurant. Same for most Chicken dishes.....

I can cook a steak, to my liking as good as any chef. When me and the Mrs. go out to dinner we normally go for Sushi or some other place that serves items we can't or don't know how to cook at home. Seafood dishes, Lamb, etc.

• Like 1

I can cook a steak,

Yeah but you can't run a focking draft :mad:

I cannot remember the last time I ordered a Steak at a restaurant. Same for most Chicken dishes.....

I can cook a steak, to my liking as good as any chef. When me and the Mrs. go out to dinner we normally go for Sushi or some other place that serves items we can't or don't know how to cook at home. Seafood dishes, Lamb, etc.

Well that's not quite true. You don't have an oven that can get to like 800 degrees for that perfect sear.

But I see your point, and I generally agree. However I think a truly great steak is in that category of "can't quite make it the same at home"

Well that's not quite true. You don't have an oven that can get to like 800 degrees for that perfect sear.

But I see your point, and I generally agree. However I think a truly great steak is in that category of "can't quite make it the same at home"

I guess, but Im also not paying a hundo for a steak that is just a little better than home. But yes, I see your point.

Yea the ones at the place last night said they get it to 800 degrees (never knew that's the temp they used). Even though the steak is the highest grade you can get (A5) I just don't know if I could justify paying over $100 just for the steak by itself. Especially only 9ozs. $60-$70 I could probably see. I just think for the best bang for my buck I could get something like I did last night which was two 12oz lobster tails that was the special for $60 instead of doubling that price for only 9ozs. Maybe one day I'll not feel frugal enough to try it

Ugh..these statements. You can make anything at home. So you have never gone out for a burger, or a salad, or pasta etc etc....

And you can make MOST chicken dishes at home? If you can make great chicken parm, or marsala, or piccata at home as good as in a restaurant, then you should be able to make lamb or anything else at home and you never have to go out to a restaurant ever. Just quit it.

• Like 1

60 dived by 15= 4. 4 hours of work for a steak, without tip? No way.

Anytime someone here gets a chance to brag without bragging about how much they make, they will lie about paying 100 for a steak

it may be the case for some, but for me it is about how i spend my money (and no, i would not regularly pay $100 for a steak). others choose to spend their $$ on other diversions. food is a form of entertainment for me and i tend to be more willing to pay for good, interesting meals where other might prefer concerts or live sporting events (whatever). with a child, work, activities, it is more challenging to spend the time sitting for nicer meals. when the opportunity presents itself (rare) i love doing it.

again, steakhouses are not usually my preference. go to them when it is the will of the group i am with. when going to non-steak house restaurants i sometimes go for the steak frites (about $25 around here).

i make it at home probably 3-4 times/month.

it may be the case for some, but for me it is about how i spend my money (and no, i would not regularly pay $100 for a steak). others choose to spend their $$ on other diversions. food is a form of entertainment for me and i tend to be more willing to pay for good, interesting meals where other might prefer concerts or live sporting events (whatever). with a child, work, activities, it is more challenging to spend the time sitting for nicer meals. when the opportunity presents itself (rare) i love doing it.

again, steakhouses are not usually my preference. go to them when it is the will of the group i am with. when going to non-steak house restaurants i sometimes go for the steak frites (about $25 around here).

Sam's club sells individual prime cuts. Ribeye, NY Strip, and sirloin. Maybe even tenderrloin. Thats a good deal. At Costco you gotta drop 30-40 easily for few steaks in stead of just one.

SInce my wife isn't a huge steak fan, that's a waste. But buying one at Sam's, then grilling it at home. Soooo good. I need practice on a good seasoning or rub, hich most restaurants do well. So it's basically a little salt and pepper and some worchester sauce on a few bites.

• Like 1

Yea the ones at the place last night said they get it to 800 degrees (never knew that's the temp they used). Even though the steak is the highest grade you can get (A5) I just don't know if I could justify paying over $100 just for the steak by itself. Especially only 9ozs. $60-$70 I could probably see. I just think for the best bang for my buck I could get something like I did last night which was two 12oz lobster tails that was the special for $60 instead of doubling that price for only 9ozs. Maybe one day I'll feel frugal enough to do it

What do you think frugal means?

Ugh..these statements. You can make anything at home. So you have never gone out for a burger, or a salad, or pasta etc etc....

And you can make MOST chicken dishes at home? If you can make great chicken parm, or marsala, or piccata at home as good as in a restaurant, then you should be able to make lamb or anything else at home and you never have to go out to a restaurant ever. Just quit it.

Just being honest, sorry that gets you worked up.

I said "most" Chicken Dishes btw. Bottom line, when I go out to (nice) dinner and will be spending money I almost always order something I either a.) don't know how to cook/prepare myself or b.) get a type of meat or seafood that I don't know where to get myself (Duck, Elk, Lamb, etc.) or seafood or Indian etc. etc.

also, when i was cooking in colorado i knew many chefs in the area. we usually increase the value of the meals for each other (free coarses, free pairings, or significant price reductions). there was a certain camaraderie that existed, very fraternal. sometimes we would invite/be invited to the back kitchen to discuss technique and recipes

now that i am not cooking it is more of a treat than regular occurrence.

Sam's club sells individual prime cuts. Ribeye, NY Strip, and sirloin. Maybe even tenderrloin. Thats a good deal. At Costco you gotta drop 30-40 easily for few steaks in stead of just one.

SInce my wife isn't a huge steak fan, that's a waste. But buying one at Sam's, then grilling it at home. Soooo good. I need practice on a good seasoning or rub, hich most restaurants do well. So it's basically a little salt and pepper and some worchester sauce on a few bites.

I hate to destroy the illusion for you... but those aren't really prime steaks. They're "blade tenderized" which means a machine pounds the meat to soften it up

That's kind of how I am to an extent. I'll still spend money on concerts and what not but going out to eat at cool/nice places I can do all throughout the year. It also helps that I'm a foodie and love trying new places and new foods. Always said I should have my own food show where I travel the US trying out different restaurants and new foods

What do you think frugal means?

Sorry didn't put the "not" there. In between patients and typing this so it's a little difficult

I hate to destroy the illusion for you... but those aren't really prime steaks. They're "blade tenderized" which means a machine pounds the meat to soften it up

Got something to back that up? And can they label them as "USDA Prime" When in fact they are not? Isn't that the definition of false advertising? I am not believing you until you prove that sir.

Got something to back that up? And can they label them as "USDA Prime" When in fact they are not? Isn't that the definition of false advertising? I am not believing you until you prove that sir.

I am googling now and I see what you are saying and I am trying to get a tad more info. Still a great steak, but I did NOT know about the 160 degree minimum.

Wonder if Sam's is the same, will be looking at the labels more carefully.

I will say the latest article I can see regarding this is from early 2016...so maybe Costco changed?

Good move. Because that dudes a liar.

Actually it wouldn't surprise if they found a way to get away from it. An example is tic tacs being labeled "sugar free" when in fact they do contain sugar. It's just they contain less than 0.5grams of sugar per serving so they are allowed to say they have 0 grams of sugar per serving when in fact they do contain it

Talk to me when you're routinely dining this lavishly on a company expense account.

Lol@ people thinking words like prime, premium, choice etc mean anything. They are just words. May as well say “super duper steak”. There’s no official, regulated, guarded by FBI agents and confirmed by 3 different police officers process that enforces that the steak was in fact made to “super duper” standards. Suckers.

Look on the label. Costco identifies them as blade tenderized and says you have to cook to 160 (because bacteria can get inside the steak through the tenderizing process). Sams club may or may not identify it as blade tenderized because you don't have to

Japanese Wagyu, including Kobe, is more widely available in this country than ever before, which is good news for food lovers. The bad news? It is still scarce, and only a sliver of the many restaurants claiming to serve it offer the real thing. Instead, many serve what’s known in the trade as “wangus,” a hybrid of domestically raised Wagyu breeds and common Angus and call it Kobe. Some don’t even bother using any Wagyu breed at all.

https://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/trends-news/article/kobe-wagyu-steak-myths

Lol@ people thinking words like prime, premium, choice etc mean anything. They are just words. May as well say super duper steak. Theres no official, regulated, guarded by FBI agents and confirmed by 3 different police officers process that enforces that the steak was in fact made to super duper standards. Suckers.

Actually the USDA grades 'em :doh:

Now some stores make up their own and it's BS. So if it doesn't say USDA Prime (or whatever the grade may be) then you are right.

And I'm sure the USDA's grading system isn't perfect but there's validity to it

Talk to me when you're routinely dining this lavishly on a company expense account.

As I said. Probably jealousy that I'm in my 20s doing this while you're just now getting around to it. And that's ok. No one is faulting you for that. You just seem extremely sour over the fact that I like to eat at places like that. Even when I'm not bragging about it. Says a lot about your character

Look on the label. Costco identifies them as blade tenderized and says you have to cook to 160 (because bacteria can get inside the steak through the tenderizing process). Sams club may or may not identify it as blade tenderized because you don't have to

I saw this but then I have to ask a question. If you aren't required to list blade tenderized, how does anyone truly know it is true? Or do you have to recommend cooking to 160 degrees if you blade tenderize?

I've never looked at ANY meat label and the only Prime steak I have see in a package is at costco or sam's. Is it at all possible that ALL prime steaks come with a "cook to 160 degrees" regardless of the blade tenderizing? How would anyone know if this is the case?

Seems like this may be an old wives tale being thrown around OR possibly one of those scare you things, just to scare you.

Good move. Because that dudes a liar.

You have no credibility here. So if you cant comment nicely, just be quiet.

Thanks

Japanese Wagyu, including Kobe, is more widely available in this country than ever before, which is good news for food lovers. The bad news? It is still scarce, and only a sliver of the many restaurants claiming to serve it offer the real thing. Instead, many serve what’s known in the trade as “wangus,” a hybrid of domestically raised Wagyu breeds and common Angus and call it Kobe. Some don’t even bother using any Wagyu breed at all.

https://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/trends-news/article/kobe-wagyu-steak-myths

Well you should continue to eat cats like dem japs!

I saw this but then I have to ask a question. If you aren't required to list blade tenderized, how does anyone truly know it is true? Or do you have to recommend cooking to 160 degrees if you blade tenderize?

I've never looked at ANY meat label and the only Prime steak I have see in a package is at costco or sam's. Is it at all possible that ALL prime steaks come with a "cook to 160 degrees" regardless of the blade tenderizing? How would anyone know if this is the case?

Seems like this may be an old wives tale being thrown around OR possibly one of those scare you things, just to scare you.

Well I can tell you it's absolutely true for Costco because they put it right there on the label. Mainly so they can't get sued if you cook that steak to medium rare and then get E. coli. But they aren't required to do this -- again, it's just so they don't get sued and probably also due to consumer advocate groups

Japanese Wagyu, including Kobe, is more widely available in this country than ever before, which is good news for food lovers. The bad news? It is still scarce, and only a sliver of the many restaurants claiming to serve it offer the real thing. Instead, many serve whats known in the trade as wangus, a hybrid of domestically raised Wagyu breeds and common Angus and call it Kobe. Some dont even bother using any Wagyu breed at all.

Yea and if it's "wagyu burger" then chances are Its not authentic wagyu. Very few places have I seen with authentic A5 wagyu but the place I went to last night truly had it. However, they had a limited quantity of it and sold out so I didn't get to try it. I follow their FB page and if they get another shipment of it in I'm gonna talk my wife into going back