Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

10 year old kid dies on that big ass waterside :(

Eh, if I need to feel smart I'll just engage you in a discussion about capital gains, or pretty much any topic requiring a modicum of knowledge over opinion.

From Investipidia: "In many ways a buyback is similar to a dividend. Traditionally, a major advantage to buy backs was it was taxed at the lower capital gains rate, whereas dividends were taxed at the ordinary income rates. However, the jobs and growth Reconciliation act of 2003 made the tax rate on dividends now the same rate as capital gains". What am I getting wrong here? It sounds like when a corporation does a buyback, it pays capital gains. Please explain.

From Investipidia: "In many ways a buyback is similar to a dividend. Traditionally, a major advantage to buy backs was it was taxed at the lower capital gains rate, whereas dividends were taxed at the ordinary income rates. However, the jobs and growth Reconciliation act of 2003 made the tax rate on dividends now the same rate as capital gains". What am I getting wrong here? It sounds like when a corporation does a buyback, it pays capital gains. Please explain.

Well for starters, re the bolded, why would they pay capital gains when they buy something? You pay capital gains when you sell something at a gain, not when you buy it.

They're talking from the vantage point of the shareholder selling the stock back to the business, not that of the corporation. Corporations would buy back stock from shareholders in lieu of dividends, because the stock would receive preferential capital gains treatment whereas a dividend was treated as regular income when it was paid to the shareholder. Once capital gains rates were applied to dividends that move became pointless.

Well for starters, re the bolded, why would they pay capital gains when they buy something? You pay capital gains when you sell something at a gain, not when you buy it.

They're talking from the vantage point of the shareholder selling the stock back to the business, not that of the corporation. Corporations would buy back stock from shareholders in lieu of dividends, because the stock would receive preferential capital gains treatment whereas a dividend was treated as regular income when it was paid to the shareholder. Once capital gains rates were applied to dividends that move became pointless.

Right, but when the corporation does sell the shares it bought back, what is the tax rate?

Right, but when the corporation does sell the shares it bought back, what is the tax rate?

We've been over this, there is none. A reissue is not income, it's just contributed capital.

From Investopedia;

"The proceeds of the transaction result in a $168 million debit to Cash (4 million shares bought back x $42/share). Because all the treasury stock is liquidated, the entire $120 million balance is credited back. The remaining $48 million represents a gain over its acquisition price. This amount is a $48 million credit to an account called “Paid in Capital - Treasury Stock.”"
"Pain in Capital" is a balance sheet account, not income statement. It represents money that OWNERS have paid giving them more equity in the company.

You want to see "accounting games"? Start letting companies take gains and losses on transacting in their own stocks. That would get pretty interesting, probably by tomorrow.

Now, no more free accounting lessons. :nono:

We've been over this, there is none. A reissue is not income, it's just contributed capital.

From Investopedia;

"Pain in Capital" is a balance sheet account, not income statement. It represents money that OWNERS have paid giving them more equity in the company.

You want to see "accounting games"? Start letting companies take gains and losses on transacting in their own stocks. That would get pretty interesting, probably by tomorrow.

Now, no more free accounting lessons. :nono:

Ok, but I don't know why they would pay ordinary income tax on stocks they bought in other companies when the sell them. I cede your point.

Poor RP getting his ass handed to him on tax issues in a thread about a kid dying at a water park. How the fock does that even happen? :shocking: :doh:

Poor RP getting his ass handed to him on tax issues in a thread about a kid dying at a water park. How the fock does that even happen? :shocking: :doh:

He gets his ass handed to him in every thread he chooses to post in. He probably likes getting destroyed here so he can beat his wife at night. You know how tough those NYC cops are.

JFC can we get back to focusing on the decapitated kid and puns therein?!!

Priorities!

JFC can we get back to focusing on the decapitated kid and puns therein?!!

Priorities!

Dude, no need to blow your top.

He gets his ass handed to him in every thread he chooses to post in. He probably likes getting destroyed here so he can beat his wife at night. You know how tough those NYC cops are.

Not all of them are tough.

Poor RP getting his ass handed to him

:dunno:

de·ass·i·tate
dəˈassˌtāt/
verb
past tense: deassitate; past participle: deassitated
To have your ass handed to you at the Geek Club.
ex. RP was deassitated by the tax expurt.

Yeah, I was being facetious.

Yeah. But those burly warehouse workers are known to be a tough bunch.

Ok, but I don't know why they would pay ordinary income tax on stocks they bought in other companies when the sell them. I cede your point.

It's one of the downsides to C corp status, double taxation and pretty much all income is treated as ordinary income. Though "ordinary income" can be greatly reduced with deductions, credits and other tax code goodies.

It's one of the downsides to C corp status, double taxation and pretty much all income is treated as ordinary income. Though "ordinary income" can be greatly reduced with deductions, credits and other tax code goodies.

Got it. You can learn good here sometimes.

You spelled it right! See, I'm teaching you things.

I don't look at it everyday. I do see the commercials for Mens Wearhouse a lot, probably why I got it wrong. But if I worked in a warehouse I woukd definetly notice when it was misspelled.

I don't look at it everyday. I do see the commercials for Mens Wearhouse a lot, probably why I got it wrong. But if I worked in a warehouse I woukd definetly notice when it was misspelled.

well I did work in a warehouse when I was 17. So you got me there. But work on your spelling. Nothing makes an adult look dumber than spelling like a third grader.

I find it funny that the bored libtards have no time for Christianity but Mooslims are A OK in their book. :blink:

Islam is focking retarded. Just like Christianity. Actually, they are both just bad sequels to the same bad book.

I am all for both of them taking their rightful place in the trash heap of history.

But that doesn't mean I am for being discriminatory to a couple billion people because they happen to like one fairy tale better than another.

And I'm not a believer in cultural equality. Some are simply better than others, and the west is the best. The Arab culture is right down there at the bottom to me. Hell, only one place in the world would pay me more money to go there than China, and that is Arabia, but I don't want to live in that sewer.

and FYI, the reason the west is the best is that we, far more than any other culture, have abandoned our ancient myths for reason and science.

Got the difference there chief?

I find it funny that the bored libtards have no time for Christianity but Mooslims are A OK in their book. :blink:

Liberal here. They're both retards. But Mooslims are far more dangerous retards. Don't think anyone can argue with that.

I think the difference is I still recognize that you're 100x more likely to be struck by lightning than killed by a mooslim terrorist, so neither really concerns me all that much.

Liberal here. They're both retards. But Mooslims are far more dangerous retards. Don't think anyone can argue with that.

I think the difference is I still recognize that you're 100x more likely to be struck by lightning than killed by a mooslim terrorist, so neither really concerns me all that much.

Terrorism does much more damage and costs much more than a lightening strike. Deaths are not the only downside to terror. And I can guarantee I don't get hit by lightening. No such guarantee against terror.

Rainchejing a response. No time for thoughts and werds (will try to go easy on the latter).

Rainchejing a response. No time for thoughts and werds (will try to go easy on the latter).

Or time for spelling...or sentence structure.

:)

One of the networks are claiming this thing has not been inspected since it opened. Seen people claiming the front velcro strap was malfunctioning or flat not working that day from people who road it earlier that day.

One of the networks are claiming this thing has never been inspected since it opened. Seen people claiming the front velcro strap was malfunctioning or flat not working that day from people who road it earlier that day.

Hence "elected officials day". A nice legal way to pay off the people who are supposed to make sure you are doing things right and safe

Hence "elected officials day". A nice legal way to pay off the people who are supposed to make sure you are doing things right and safe

:thumbsup:

I have seen some pics of the testing of this ride, the raft soaring through the air before they had these nets on it. Needed lots of weight from the passengers to keep it from flying out too some said. Had many delays over safety concerns before it opened. Even a pic from the day of this tragedy from a drone or news chopper maybe. :(

Apparently some additional info came out today. The kids older brother and he went up together, but as they were both too light to ride together, they got on with people they didn't know. The 12 year old went down first, and waited for his little brother to come down with the next group.

Then as he went down, with 2 females he didn't know, they went airborne and he got caught in the net, was decapitated and his head cause injuries to the other two females. Blood everywhere, and then older brother witnessed the body float down the slide.

:(

Apparently some additional info came out today. The kids older brother and he went up together, but as they were both too light to ride together, they got on with people they didn't know. The 12 year old went down first, and waited for his little brother to come down with the next group.

Then as he went down, with 2 females he didn't know, they went airborne and he got caught in the net, was decapitated and his head cause injuries to the other two females. Blood everywhere, and then older brother witnessed the body float down the slide.

That's pretty real focked up.

Terrorism does much more damage and costs much more than a lightening strike. Deaths are not the only downside to terror. And I can guarantee I don't get hit by lightening. No such guarantee against terror.

You can't guarantee either, though your mother's basement is probably less prone to lightening strike than suicide bombing.

You can't guarantee either, though your mother's basement is probably less prone to lightening strike than suicide bombing.

so just tolerate it ?

Jesus :(

a 10 year old losing his haid on a waterslide, turned into a sissy slap fight. shocking.

$20 million? if you offered me 20 milliion for my kids life right now, I'd say no.

Gawd. Awful.

"Ya know Gladys, I think when I get home from the waterpark, I'm going to surprise Frank with a little head."