Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

dried pasta question

I never heard of this before. One of my good friend's girlfriend Insist on refrigerating Dried pasta. I'm talking this stuff that's sits there for months on a grocery Shelf.Has anybody else ever heard of this?

I hope, on principle, Bier Meister comes in with a 3 paragraph explanation on why to freeze dried pasta. Even if he thinks it's complete BS.

:D

Never read about any benefits of freezing dry pasta.

Maybe mealworms? I know they can end up in dried pasta.

Insist she download the foodkeeper ap

Wtf?.....see this is what happens when we allow wimmen to get past 8th grade, and let them vote.

I'm not sure if this is related, But apparently she's a Mormon.I just learned The Mormons are required by the church to keep at least a Year's worth of food.Apparently , She also has Easter ham from 2013 In the freezer.

I think what we have learned here Is that If there's ever a natural disaster Come find your nearest Mormon And kill them And take their stuff.

My wife puts Bisquik in the fridge :dunno:

That's baking soda dipshit.

• Like 1

We do this, as the tropical climate causes it to mold quickly, and most food kept out will attract ants.

Unless you keep your house without AC, have the windows open, and allow the humidity in your house to be just like outside then there's no reason to put the bread in the fridge

Every so often I will run into a list of stuff you're not supposed to refrigerate. Invariably, I'm usually doing a couple of things wrong.But those lists also seemed fairly Inconsistent themselves.

You shouldn't put bread in the refrigerator. Staleness is caused by crystallization of starch molecules, which happens more quickly at lower temperatures.

You shouldn't put bread in the refrigerator. Staleness is caused by crystallization of starch molecules, which happens more quickly at lower temperatures.

But mold grows more readily at room temperature, and bugs can't get into the refrigerator.

Unless you keep your house without AC, have the windows open, and allow the humidity in your house to be just like outside then there's no reason to put the bread in the fridge

You obviously haven't spent much time in Hawaii.

But mold grows more readily at room temperature, and bugs can't get into the refrigerator.

My information comes directly from a highly regarded theoretical physicist.

My information comes directly from a highly regarded theoretical physicist.

Which geek would that be?

Which geek would that be?

Dr Cooper of Caltech. You may have heard of his work on string theory.

Dr Cooper of Caltech. You may have heard of his work on string theory.

Ah, gotcha. Went right over my head.

Exactly

You obviously haven't spent much time in Hawaii.

I don't need to spend time there to know this. It's common sense dumb ass.

I don't need to spend time there to know this. It's common sense dumb ass.

Let's see what your "common sense" entails:

1. Getting central AC installed in my house (not common in HI). I have a split system AC, which was the first purchase I made for my home because I thought I'd need it. I quickly learned I don't, as have most people in Hawaii. See #2.

2. Closing all the windows, despite it being near perfect temperature and humidity (for humans and mold) year round.

3. Paying the colossal power bill which results.

4. Inundating my home with pesticides, as the tropical weather also is ideal for insects.

Or I can refrigerate my bread. Which do you think is the smarter thing to do?

Let's see what your "common sense" entails:

1. Getting central AC installed in my house (not common in HI). I have a split system AC, which was the first purchase I made for my home because I thought I'd need it. I quickly learned I don't, as have most people in Hawaii. See #2.

2. Closing all the windows, despite it being near perfect temperature and humidity (for humans and mold) year round.

3. Paying the colossal power bill which results.

4. Inundating my home with pesticides, as the tropical weather also is ideal for insects.

Or I can refrigerate my bread. Which do you think is the smarter thing to do?

Smarter option is to have the AC in your house on but set to a temp that isn't too expensive for you. You know, like normal people do. Being a doctor you would think a little electric bill isn't too far out of your price range

Smarter option is to have the AC in your house on but set to a temp that isn't too expensive for you. You know, like normal people do. Being a doctor you would think a little electric bill isn't too far out of your price range

I don't use my AC based on what I can afford; I use it for comfort. My electric bill ends up being ~$18/month. When you said:

I should have just responded "that is exactly how the majority of people in Hawaii keep their homes." But that excludes constant issues with bugs, which is an important factor in food storage, too.

I heard you refrigerate food in HI because it attracts the meth heads.

I keep my bread, cereal and opened bags of chips in my extra fridge. Seems to prolong their life weeks past what they would normally last in the pantry. Never had a crystallization problem with the bread, least not yet.

I keep my bread, cereal and opened bags of chips in my extra fridge. Seems to prolong their life weeks past what they would normally last in the pantry. Never had a crystallization problem with the bread, least not yet.

We do the same. And I think the crystals to which Frank refers are microscopic; they make the bread stale, but still edible. Unlike mold.

Or maybe he is talking about meth?

We do the same. And I think the crystals to which Frank refers are microscopic; they make the bread stale, but still edible. Unlike mold.

Or maybe he is talking about meth?

He could just have his fridge set too low. Or maybe he stores it in the very back, which is not a good idea since that's usually the coldest part of a fridge.