Sign in to follow this  
Gandalfthecat

Is it dishonorable for me to throw my final game to improve my playoff matchup?

I know if I deliberately lose, I'll get a better matchup. But, if I throw my game, it will affect other people's playoff hopes. What's the rule of thumb? Can I start Edgerrrin James? ;)

Its bad karma.

This.

However, to answer your question. No

I think it is justifiable. It's not like you are trying to screw another team from getting into the playoffs though that could be a side effect. Tough call.

Be careful what you wish for. This happened to me two years ago. I don't think I deliberately lost but I ended up facing the lowest seed with the lowest number of points, exactly who I wanted to face. Come week 14 my team got blown out of the water.

No I plan to do it in my keeper league.

Next years draft order is based on where you finish minus the playoff winner. I have clinched a spot but cant do any better. It's a 10 team league and there are no dominant teams and that is including mine. So not doing for positional because it is too hard to figure out what will happen, but doing for better draft pick in next years draft. And yes I am sure I will lose because of it but oh well, my team isnt that good anyways for a 10 team league I really dont expect to rattle off 3 straight wins with this lineup going.

Tebow

C. Johnson

Flavor of the week, Starks, Bradshaw, K. Smith, Gerhart, L. Ball, J. Battle

Desean Jackson

Greg Jennings

Gronk.

Dishonorable or not I probably wouldn't do it. But I'm curious, what team are you trying to avoid or play?

If you want post it here. I might change my mind.

Dishonorable, no. However, it does tempt the fantasy football gods, and they are a fickle bunch. :unsure:

The whole point of being a fantasy owner is to manipulate your lineup in a manner that gives you the best chance to win a fantasy championship. It seems that what you are proposing is 100% consistent with that. Do it with a big smile on your face. Champions don't cower in fear of karma or the fantasy gods.

The whole point of being a fantasy owner is to manipulate your lineup in a manner that gives you the best chance to win a fantasy championship. It seems that what you are proposing is 100% consistent with that. Do it with a big smile on your face. Champions don't cower in fear of karma or the fantasy gods.

I quite like this answer.

Looks Edgerrin James gets his comeback after all.

I wouldn't put too much stock into what you perceive to be as the better matchup.

I wouldnt either. Its not like 20 years agon when we could bank on this stuff a little more consistently. Its a crapshoot all day long. It seems this is the day and age of a couple guys blowing up to beat you and the rest of their team gets 1 or 2 points. Been happening to me all freegin year.

Just play your lineup and head into your playoff matchup as you normally would.

Your efforts would be rewarded with the last pick of the 2012 draft, in the league I commish. We have a rule specifically designed to deal with this situation.

G. Roger Goodell Rule:

1. No Manager shall take actions to intentionally lose games or points. These actions include, but are not limited to:

 Leaving Starting Roster positions empty.

 Benching top players.

 Releasing top players to Waiver Wire.

 Collusion: Managers taking collaborated actions to improve a team at the expense of another.

2. Any Manager(s) judged to be partaking in such actions will get last pick of the following year’s draft.

3. The Commissioner will have final rule in matters of fair play.

:cheers:

I quite like this answer.

Looks Edgerrin James gets his comeback after all.

Eventually you would get the answer you were looking for...how to wait it out. :thumbsdown:

In our league, draft order is based on reverse order of previous years finish. Our playoffs go from week 14 through week 16. Once a team is eliminated from the playoffs they certainly don't start their best players. It's a total points league(and HTH) by the way and that is what determines draft order. Lowest total points drafts first the next year. So it's not a matter of honorable or not. It's all about strategy. You do what you think gives you the best chance to win this year and going forward as long as it obeys the rules and doesn't abuse them, for example, trading edgerring james for AP or starting a player on IR or who is D or O.

i don't believe in karma, so if I thought it would help, I would do it. that said, the "worst" playoff teams in my league over the last few years have always manager to get past the first round of the playoffs. It is a crap shoot, so i just try to win every week for bragging rights. Plus, we have a portion of the pot set aside for the regular season winner.

I can't believe some responses trying to justify doing this, someone even saying dishonorable - no. It is a matter of sportsmanship and integrity that you play your best players and try to win each and every week. Some will claim as long as its not against the rules, it is ok - that is a bunch of crap. Who thinks to write rules against good sportsmanship, IT IS IMPLIED AND EXPECTED.

This!

I've done it before; hell yeah! I think I've even manipulated my team MULTIPLE weeks, to get good matchups for the playoffs. And, I've got multiple Superbowl wins to show for it. :first:

I can't believe some responses trying to justify doing this, someone even saying dishonorable - no. It is a matter of sportsmanship and integrity that you play your best players and try to win each and every week. Some will claim as long as its not against the rules, it is ok - that is a bunch of crap. Who thinks to write rules against good sportsmanship, IT IS IMPLIED AND EXPECTED.

If an NFL team can do it why can't a fantasy owner?

Serious question.

+1

It's pretty funny how everybody preaches the whole "no veto unless collusion" mantra, but has no problem rigging games. :rolleyes:

I've already clinched first place in division and #1 seed overall. The team I play this week would be a much more preferable match up for the first round of the playoffs as a wildcard than another possible contender. But the two teams are trending in opposite directions so I'm just playing my best lineup and letting karma work itself out.

I think it is justifiable. It's not like you are trying to screw another team from getting into the playoffs though that could be a side effect. Tough call.

Of course he is.

I play to win every game but that is just me.

Of course he is.

I play to win every game but that is just me.

So, you're saying you have character?!

You gents needs to ask yourself WWTTD? I did and it changed my life... :cheers:

If you've managed to put together such a great fantasy team, I think its fine to do it. One of the perks for having a good season.

Its not an owners job to protect league integrity in this case. You want to put yourself in the best position to win the playoffs.

I can see its a fine line, but I fall on the side of the guy who earned himself a hell of a season and has the luxury to do this at years end.

I know if I deliberately lose, I'll get a better matchup. But, if I throw my game, it will affect other people's playoff hopes. What's the rule of thumb? Can I start Edgerrrin James? ;)

I'd be curious to see your "loser" lineup in advance so it can be compared it to your "winner" lineup once the countin' is done.

Now two posters have stated that real football teams have attempted to lose their games. Please give me some examples with proof that teams tried to throw games. Coaches and players jobs are on the line, so they are not going to throw games. Also, please don't give me examples of teams that rest players as they have already gotten home field advantage - these teams are resting players so they do not get injured for the playoffs (fantasy teams do not have any risk of injury - they are playing regardless if they are in your lineup or not). Finally, these teams are still trying to win the game.

What is the difference between this and tanking your season so you can get good draft picks next year?

I'm surprised by how many people are saying it's OK to do this.

You have one obligation...to try to win the league championship within your league rules. The idea of throwing a game is usually bad. Not because of karma and all that BS. But because 99% of the time, either team you might face in the playoffs will have an equal chance of beating your team. So at the end of the day, all you did was intentionally not play your best players and have other people think you're a d!ck. You might as well try to win your games - since you're in the league.

You're league should offer some incentive for every owner to try every week - maybe a weekly high game $$ prize.