Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Healthy Eating

I am trying to change my entire outlook on eating. I dont want to call it a diet, more like a lifestyle change. I have increased veggie and fruit consumption while reducing red meat and carb intake. So far i have lost about 8 pounds putting me at about 172. I want to continue eating well as this is the best i have ever done, only having consumed alcohol once in the past 5 weeks. Beer was another necessary casualty. It made me feel sluggish and bloated, even into the next day, even only after a few beers. I also encoporate shakes into my diet with lots of spinach and fiber with other stuff. Its by far the easiest way to consume lots of healthy food without being burned out.

So what else should i be adding to my diet, or what other meals are good?

• Like 1

Add more protein. Also increase your consumption of fish. Probably 2-3 times a week would be good. Decrease your intake of butter, salt, and sugar.

As long as it wasn't pumped full of drugs and given unnatural foods, any meat should be okay...

Fish is another good item...

I try to stick to the 4 food groups. Candy, candy canes, candy corn, and syrup.

Fixed

Check out the Yonanas machine for when you're craving ice cream or something sweet. I highly reccomend it.

:thumbsup:

Drink lots of water. While it may cause a weight gain in the short term, it helps to metabolize fat and makes you feel better.

I just severely limit fried foods, red and processed meats, highly salt and sugar items. Added more fruits and veggies. Just the simple stuff, but I feel like its something I can maintain for a lifetime as opposed to some "diet".

I cut out / down on the IPA's too. When I do drink its either a glass of wine or a light beer on the golf course / boat / beach.

Currently thinking about cutting back on dairy. I seem to eat alot of it. Yogurt, cheeses, etc. Not sure if that is all that bad though. :unsure:

Since my stroke for the last month I have been on a macronutrient diet that focuses on only 3 things..protein, carbs and fat. Im allowed 130-140g of protein, 130g of carbs, and 35-45g of fat per day. I have found I am losing the weight I need to lose, not feeling hungry at all. Blood sugars have been excellent and my last bloodwork has my LDL from 110 to 80, almost to my target of 70.

The key is planning it out ahead of time. Eating 5 times a day..3 meals and 2 snacks no more than 3 hours apart as best you can. Im allowed one splurge meal a week. pizza, steak, double bacon cheezburger..lol.

as far as diets go, I dont feel like I am dieting, but am learning to eat healthier. Lots of chicken fish and pork. Salads, lots of veggies. I really feel good and have lost 15lbs so far. I am already sleeping better, retaining less water (less salt) Not getting up to piss all the time etc. Looking forward to the change in weather and Im sure the lbs will melt off.

Also, weigh your food, especially the proteins. Turkey, chicken, fish...dont guess. At first it was overwhelming trying to log everything but now its easy and I can do a weeks worth and look forward to planning the splurge meal.

Since my stroke for the last month I have been on a macronutrient diet that focuses on only 3 things..protein, carbs and fat. Im allowed 130-140g of protein, 130g of carbs, and 35-45g of fat per day. I have found I am losing the weight I need to lose, not feeling hungry at all. Blood sugars have been excellent and my last bloodwork has my LDL from 110 to 80, almost to my target of 70.

The key is planning it out ahead of time. Eating 5 times a day..3 meals and 2 snacks no more than 3 hours apart as best you can. Im allowed one splurge meal a week. pizza, steak, double bacon cheezburger..lol.

as far as diets go, I dont feel like I am dieting, but am learning to eat healthier. Lots of chicken fish and pork. Salads, lots of veggies. I really feel good and have lost 15lbs so far. I am already sleeping better, retaining less water (less salt) Not getting up to piss all the time etc. Looking forward to the change in weather and Im sure the lbs will melt off.

Also, weigh your food, especially the proteins. Turkey, chicken, fish...dont guess. At first it was overwhelming trying to log everything but now its easy and I can do a weeks worth and look forward to planning the splurge meal.

I can probably lose only another 5 pounds unless i started to shed muscle, so its not critical for me to be so strict as to weigh foods. I guess i was looking more for specific food instead of general healthy advice. I know the general stuff. Specific dinners and lunch items would be nice.

Anything you can make yourself is healthier...your own spaghetti sauce...your own marinades..etc. you can control the salt and sugar.

I make a chicken parm...no breading and the sauce is just crushed tomatos.sauteed.garlic..salt n pepper, parsely with some crushed red pepper for heat and it is awesome.

Anything you can make yourself is healthier...your own spaghetti sauce...your own marinades..etc. you can control the salt and sugar.

I make a chicken parm...no breading and the sauce is just crushed tomatos.sauteed.garlic..salt n pepper, parsely with some crushed red pepper for heat and it is awesome.

Throw in some fresh made pasta and we have a deal. Fresh vs the dry kind changed my ife, never thought it could be so good.

Two good tips:

1. Eat until you're about 70% full and then stop

2. Don't eat in front of the tv. Eat at the table. You won't mindlessly eat while not paying attention to your food.

"Eat food. A little less. Mostly plants."

A famous quote by Cal professor and food activist Michael Pollan in his book "In Defense of Food." Here is the wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Defense_of_Food

If you google around you should be able to find a longer/better summary of his book. Basically he says we've gotten caught up in low-this and high-that and vitamin xyz when the reality is that we have no real idea how all of the parts of an actual piece of real food interact with each other.

Add spicy foods. Hot peppers or grilled chicken breast and toss with your favorite wing sauce and a salad.

Add spicy foods. Hot peppers or grilled chicken breast and toss with your favorite wing sauce and a salad.

I love spicy food. I add spice to pretty much anything i eat that it can go with.

I think most people know the general things to do in order to eat healthier. Veggies, fruits, cut down portions, limit carbs, reduce red meats, especially ones like pastrami and bacon. Dont eat close to bed unless its a veggie which will boast metabolism while sleeping.

The big issue with those who try to change their diet is finding crewtive ways to eat. People who arent creative in creating healthy dishes try eating the same stuff constantly and get sick of it fast. So list some specific dishes you make from here on if you have any.

I have replaced ground beef with Butterball ground turkey for my taco dinners. I can barely tell the difference since the taco seasoning contains most of the flavor. Instead of using a flour or corn wrap, one can substitute in lettuce wraps.

A couple little things that sounds simplistic, but they actually work. First off, Eat off small pplates and bowls use smaller utensils, like a salad fork it instead of a regular Fork Don't disallow Yourself another serving but limiting your plate size limits you're serving size.

I agree with the previous advice about water. You really can't drink too much Unless you go insane. Also going along with that, Watch the color of your piss. It sounds gross But keep drinking water until that stuff is the color of water down lemonade.

Last. Meatless Mondays. It's easy to incorporate Comma And it doesn't take over your life, it is just one day But makes a difference all week long.

"Eat food. A little less. Mostly plants."

A famous quote by Cal professor and food activist Michael Pollan in his book "In Defense of Food." Here is the wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Defense_of_Food

If you google around you should be able to find a longer/better summary of his book. Basically he says we've gotten caught up in low-this and high-that and vitamin xyz when the reality is that we have no real idea how all of the parts of an actual piece of real food interact with each other.

Pollan is a great journalist/writer, and his common sense advice simplifies nutrition for many people. I'm not sure the science is sophisticated enough to argue against what he says.

Most of the advice given has also been pretty good. The only thing I disagree with is a need to eat more protein; the typical American diet has more than enough. In fact, data suggests eating less, particularly animal-based protein, is better for your health. For some reason, pop-science has fallen in love with adding protein to everything, despite no demonstrable benefit, and possible harm from doing so.

I love spicy food. I add spice to pretty much anything i eat that it can go with.

I think most people know the general things to do in order to eat healthier. Veggies, fruits, cut down portions, limit carbs, reduce red meats, especially ones like pastrami and bacon. Dont eat close to bed unless its a veggie which will boast metabolism while sleeping.

The big issue with those who try to change their diet is finding crewtive ways to eat. People who arent creative in creating healthy dishes try eating the same stuff constantly and get sick of it fast. So list some specific dishes you make from here on if you have any.

I have replaced ground beef with Butterball ground turkey for my taco dinners. I can barely tell the difference since the taco seasoning contains most of the flavor. Instead of using a flour or corn wrap, one can substitute in lettuce wraps.

We eat a bunch of pasta dishes with garlic, olive oil and different veggies. Pretty much anything cooked in garlic and olive oil, whether pan fried or baked, is delicious - asparagus, broccolini, cauliflower, zucchini, etc. Also don't be afraid of the faux meats as some of them are really good - the company field roast does particularly well with veggie burgers and sausage for example. Quinoa is good to add to just about anything. My wife also makes frittata often with a bunch of added veggies.

Pollan is a great journalist/writer, and his common sense advice simplifies nutrition for many people. I'm not sure the science is sophisticated enough to argue against what he says.

Most of the advice given has also been pretty good. The only thing I disagree with is a need to eat more protein; the typical American diet has more than enough. In fact, data suggests eating less, particularly animal-based protein, is better for your health. For some reason, pop-science has fallen in love with adding protein to everything, despite no demonstrable benefit, and possible harm from doing so.

Nutrition isn't your forte I presume

http://www.isagenixhealth.net/top-scientists-outline-reasons-to-eat-more-protein/

Actually I'm pretty up to date, thanks. I've already posted several articles outlining the issues with overdoing protein, as is the rage in the food/supplement industry. Amazing that a company selling protein supplements would promote them though.

Actually I'm pretty up to date, thanks. I've already posted several articles outlining the issues with overdoing protein as is the rage in the food industry. Amazing that a company selling protein supplements would promote them though.

You can overdo anything. The point is a more heavily based protein diet actually has good nutritional benefits going down all the way to the molecular level. You can agree water is good for you right? However too much water is actually detrimental to your body. Same goes for protein. Having more in your diet is good. Having too much in your diet is bad. But your statement about it having no demonstratable benefit is completely false

You can overdo anything. The point is a more heavily based protein diet actually has good nutritional benefits going down all the way to the molecular level. You can agree water is good for you right? However too much water is actually detrimental to your body. Same goes for protein. Having more in your diet is good. Having too much in your diet is bad. But your statement about it having no demonstratable benefit is completely false

What I said is the typical American diet gets more than enough protein; for most people there is no need to eat more or take protein supplements. You'd do better to concentrate on eating more fruits and veggies, less processed foods and animal products period - the latter being a major source of dietary protein.

What I said is the typical American diet gets more than enough protein; for most people there is no need to eat more or take protein supplements. You'd do better to concentrate on eating more fruits and veggies, less processed foods and animal products period - the latter being a major source of dietary protein.

While yes adding fruits and vegetables are great sources for different vitamins and minerals you still need a good source of protein. The typical American diet does get a decent amount of protein but an increase in it does benefit the body. Fat and carbohydrates are what the body uses for energy. When people consume less of these proteins are what is used for energy. Therefore it's important biologically to still consume a fair amount of protein. Combine that with exercise and you'll need to increase your protein intake.

The science is there with multiple articles you can look up.

While yes adding fruits and vegetables are great sources for different vitamins and minerals you still need a good source of protein. The typical American diet does get a decent amount of protein but an increase in it does benefit the body. Fat and carbohydrates are what the body uses for energy. When people consume less of these proteins are what is used for energy. Therefore it's important biologically to still consume a fair amount of protein. Combine that with exercise and you'll need to increase your protein intake.

The science is there with multiple articles you can look up.

I think the science better supports my side of this argument. I'm not saying to eliminate animal protein altogether. Most people aren't willing to give up meat, eggs or dairy, so they'll get plenty. Even if they exercise regularly.

Short of bodybuilders/elite athletes, you'd be hard pressed to find otherwise healthy Americans who aren't getting enough dietary protein. Especially in the FF Geek demographic.

I think the science better supports my side of this argument. I'm not saying to eliminate animal protein altogether. Most people aren't willing to give up meat, eggs or dairy, so they'll get plenty. Even if they exercise regularly.

Short of bodybuilders/elite athletes and those recovering from burns or major illness, you'd be hard pressed to find Americans who aren't getting enough dietary protein. Especially in the FF Geek demographic.

I could easily argue and pull countless scientific facts for the argument of more protein but I won't. It's clear you won't change your mind despite having tons of info given to you

I could easily argue and pull countless scientific facts for the argument of more protein but I won't. It's clear you won't change your mind despite having tons of info given to you

Likewise, I suspect I can't change your mind...

My degree is in biochemistry and I'm particularly interested in nutrition, so you can rest assured I'm familiar with the pro/cons of added dietary protein. I also am good friends with the director of an obesity center at a major university, so I've had this discussion before. Don't be offended that I disagree with you, but please don't suggest I don't know what I'm talking about until you've reviewed both sides of the argument.

FWIW, I liked the rest of your advice, which is rare when you offer "medical" opinions.

Likewise, I suspect I can't change your mind...

My degree is in biochemistry and I'm particularly interested in nutrition, so you can rest assured I'm familiar with the pro/cons of added dietary protein. I also am good friends with the director of an obesity center at a major university, so I've had this discussion before. Don't be offended that I disagree with you, but please don't suggest I don't know what I'm talking about until you've reviewed both sides of the argument.

FWIW, I liked the rest of your advice, which is rare when you offer "medical" opinions.

Degree is in biology with a minor in kinesiology. Particularly with nutrition. Talked with plenty of nutritionists as well as given seminars on nutrition. So don't try to make it seem like I don't know what I'm talking about either. If you are so interested in nutrition then I would love to hear your opinions on why a high protein based diet doesn't work despite the fact when people are trying to lose weight they are trying to shred fat while maintaining muscle (which is composed of protein in case you forgot).

Popular nutrition is just what "big food" wants us to buy at any given advertising or farming cycle. This week it will be chicken, next week kale is the new protein substitute. Week after that cranberries are all you need to live. It's all advertising. But it's pretty much fact that any diet should have steady protein, any idiot knows that and arguing against it is dumb. Veggies are great but if I don't eat meat I feel like a hollow shell. Animal products are good for you, I don't care what anyone says. We were designed to eat meat, shut up if you think otherwise, your dumb.

Portion control is all you need for a diet. Oh and don't scarf obvious junk food every day, yea real eye opening advice there.Pay me, not Dr OZ who is a known fraud and scam artist.

Degree is in biology with a minor in kinesiology. Particularly with nutrition. Talked with plenty of nutritionists as well as given seminars on nutrition. So don't try to make it seem like I don't know what I'm talking about either. If you are so interested in nutrition then I would love to hear your opinions on why a high protein based diet doesn't work despite the fact when people are trying to lose weight they are trying to shred fat while maintaining muscle (which is composed of protein in case you forgot).

I didn't say a high protein diet doesn't work for weight loss. Just about any hypocaloric diet will (at least temporarily). And gradual weight loss accomplished with almost any diet will preferentially burn adipose tissue before you cannibalize muscle. But that isn't the point.

The OP is about "healthy eating." There are many components to health. Body weight and composition are a couple of them. But I'll argue the gestalt of health is living to old age without disease. For that purpose a plant-based diet, not one focussing on any single micro- or macronutrient, is likely to yield the best results. No protein supplement is necessary, especially for the typical American carnivore.

Eating healthy means you can be old, longer. Enjoy. :wave:

It isn't just about lifespan. One must be functional in old age to enjoy the added years.

What a lot of people overlook is the years of suffering they are adding to their lives by unhealthy habits. While you might enjoy the cigarette, extra drink or buffet at the time, most of the illnesses that result from chronically indulging are chronic disease. These are things that kill you slowly, making the overall quality of life sh!tty for decades or longer. While doing the "right" things doesn't defeat your genetics, or guarantee a high quality of life, it does maximize your chances of thriving in the Golden Years.

Popular nutrition is just what "big food" wants us to buy at any given advertising or farming cycle. This week it will be chicken, next week kale is the new protein substitute. Week after that cranberries are all you need to live. It's all advertising. But it's pretty much fact that any diet should have steady protein, any idiot knows that and arguing against it is dumb. Veggies are great but if I don't eat meat I feel like a hollow shell. Animal products are good for you, I don't care what anyone says. We were designed to eat meat, shut up if you think otherwise, your dumb.

Portion control is all you need for a diet. Oh and don't scarf obvious junk food every day, yea real eye opening advice there.Pay me, not Dr OZ who is a known fraud and scam artist.

I am not suggesting one eliminate protein from their diet. And we are omnivores, "designed" to eat a lot of things, many of which you rarely if ever consume. Why have you decided meat is mandatory?

P.S. A big part of "Big Food" is the meat and dairy industries.

Also, what type of seminars have you given? Who was your audience?

While you might enjoy the cigarette, extra drink or buffet at the time, most of the illnesses that result from chronically indulging lead to chronic illnesses.

I might enjoy joking around on a low rent message bored, too.

Smoking- nope

Drinking- nope

Buffet- Sounds interesting, hit 1-2 a year.

Don't take life too serious, you're not going to survive it anyway.

I might enjoy joking around on a low rent message bored, too.

Smoking- nope

Drinking- nope

Buffet- Sounds interesting, hit 1-2 a year.

Don't take life too serious, you're not going to survive it anyway.

Although you were joking, many people seriously believe their poor choices add value to their lives. Some of them may be right, but more often than not they are setting themselves up for a bunch of suffering - arthritis, diabetes, heart disease, emphysema, cirrhosis, cancer; the list goes on and on. I take care of them every time I go to work.

Also, what type of seminars have you given? Who was your audience?

I've given a multitude of topics. A couple on nutrition during our nutrition week that I coordinated a couple years ago at lackland. Audience was whoever wanted to come at the hospital