Poll - Gay Marriage Ban

85 members have voted

1. 1. For or Against Gay Marriage ban?

• For the Ban
    • Against the Ban

you know the saying, it's adam and eve not adam and carl :headbanger:

btw, good thread to find out who the funny people are

My guess is this ends up 50/50.

Why aren't the gays happy with "Civil unions" or whatever they are called and leave the marriage thing to 1 man and 1 woman.

Why not let the states decide instead of issuing a federal fiat? Do you think there should be a Federal Constitutional amendment banning everything you don't personally agree with?

Prinicple wise, I'm against it, but would like to learn the ancient history and origin of marriage. As for trying to ban it in this country, it's only another step that divides us more at this point. A gay friend of mine has no desire to ever get married because to him that's a straight people thing, hence wanting to know the origins and weigh the biblical significance of the union. We're so obviously not a christian country, no use in passing laws that merely keep up appearence while we lack substance.

Why aren't the gays happy with "Civil unions" or whatever they are called and leave the marriage thing to 1 man and 1 woman.

From a legal standpoint, "Civil Union" = "Marriage". Don't get hung up on the word. Gays are asking for the right to enjoy the same state/federal benefits and legal status that married couples recieve.

Marriage, IMO, is the scare word that the right keeps tossing out, to galavanize conservative religious voters.

I doubt Joe Righty voter is going to come out to the polls like they did in 2004 to oppose civil unions.

A poll a few weeks ago had it going 56-44 against gay marriage (in favor of the ban). Which was really funny because a week or 2 later 70% of guys here claimed they would have no problem sleeping with another man's wife if they were still single. :wacko:

Separate but equal? :wacko:

A poll a few weeks ago had it going 56-44 against gay marriage (in favor of the ban). Which was really funny because a week or 2 later 70% of guys here claimed they would have no problem sleeping with another man's wife if they were still single. :wacko:

Are these related?

Are these related?

I think it's a general comment on the whole 'sanctity' thing. Like a "Yeah, we really care about the sanctity of marriage. Gays will destroy it. Oh yeah, if I were single I'd nail a married woman, screw sanctity."

Are these related?

Well I assume those that oppose gay marriage do so for moral reasons. Anyone who would sleep with another man's wife has no morals. So how could they possibly have a problem with gay marriage? Yet some of the same people who would sleep with another man's wife (a deplorable act of immorality) apparently voted for the marriage ban. Hypocrisy, no?

I think it's a general comment on the whole 'sanctity' thing. Like a "Yeah, we really care about the sanctity of marriage. Gays will destroy it. Oh yeah, if I were single I'd nail a married woman, screw sanctity."

That's even a better way to put it. :wacko:

Why not let the states decide instead of issuing a federal fiat? Do you think there should be a Federal Constitutional amendment banning everything you don't personally agree with?

this is probably my take, but in our district the stand against gay marriage is the popular one so it doesnt bother me if the office view is to stand against it.

this is probably my take, but in our district the stand against gay marriage is the popular one so it doesnt bother me if the office view is to stand against it.

There are bigger things at issue here than just gay marriage; why does the Federal Government need and/or deserve the power to make this mandate? What happened to federalism and states' rights?

There are bigger things at issue here than just gay marriage; why does the Federal Government need and/or deserve the power to make this mandate? What happened to federalism and states' rights?

States rights? What kind of Republicans do you think these Republicans are?

Because currently, states recognize marriages from other states. HTH.

well answer me this, if our district is upwards of 60% in favor of this proposal (which it is), isn't it the job of the guy representging this district to support this measure, whether he believes in it or not?

Because currently, states recognize marriages from other states. HTH.

It doesn't. There have been exceptions to full faith and credit made in the past for things like polygamy so there is no precedent for the idea that states must recognize marriages that offend their accepted standards. Beyond that, DOMA explicitly states that states can deny same sex marriages even if they are recognized in another state.

As long as it helps his boy get reelected, he doesn't care.

As long as it helps his boy get reelected, he doesn't care.

not necessarily true, but at the same time don't you put your family ahead of your work? I like my job and where it might take me! :)

well answer me this, if our district is upwards of 60% in favor of this proposal (which it is), isn't it the job of the guy representging this district to support this measure, whether he believes in it or not?

No, a Senator swears an oath to uphold the Constitution and popular sentiment doesn't change that.

No, a Senator swears an oath to uphold the Constitution and popular sentiment doesn't change that.

then who's job is it to change the Constitution if they don't agree with something int it? :blink:

the courts? :) :lol: :cry:

then who's job is it to change the Constitution if they don't agree with something int it? :blink:

the courts? :) :lol: :cry:

What is it that they disagree with that this amendment would change exactly? The idea that certain powers are reserved to the states and to the people? Or maybe the idea that we all warrant equal protection under the law?

This is not some subtle change to some arcane rule, it's explicit erosion of a fundamental right. Call me old fashioned, but I don't think either of those things need to be changed.

So you're telling me your boss votes for every measure based on the opinion polls of your district?

So if something changes and 10 years down the road the majority support gay marriage, he'd change his stance on the issue? Didn't Kerry get ripped for this kind of thing pretty mercilessly in the last election? :)

Why the fock do the conservatives care so much? Not everyone thinks/acts like they do. They can't seem to get over it.

So you're telling me your boss votes for every measure based on the opinion polls of your district?

So if something changes and 10 years down the road the majority support gay marriage, he'd change his stance on the issue? Didn't Kerry get ripped for this kind of thing pretty mercilessly in the last election? :)

I agree with this. I never vote for candidates on individual positions. I vote for my belief that they have an inner compass guiding them, and that in general I agree with the direction of that compass. This was my biggest objection to Kerry.

So if something changes and 10 years down the road the majority support gay marriage, he'd change his stance on the issue? Didn't Kerry get ripped for this kind of thing pretty mercilessly in the last election? :thumbsup:

It just depends. To a certain extent, the people knew his positions going in and they voted him in for what he believes in, but at the same time we do opinion polls to keep in line with what the district wants. I could see a scenario where it might not be a bad idea to change directions if the mood of the public shifts.

It just depends. To a certain extent, the people knew his positions going in and they voted him in for what he believes in, but at the same time we do opinion polls to keep in line with what the district wants. I could see a scenario where it might not be a bad idea to change directions if the mood of the public shifts.

Fair enough. I trust you weren't one of the conservatives on this board that bashed Kerry for being a flip flopper, then. :wall:

I agree with this. I never vote for candidates on individual positions. I vote for my belief that they have an inner compass guiding them, and that in general I agree with the direction of that compass. This was my biggest objection to Kerry.

That was my biggest objection to Bush. :doublethumbsup: Also that whole incompetence thing.

Why the fock do the conservatives care so much? Not everyone thinks/acts like they do. They can't seem to get over it.

Oh.I don't know,maybe:

It has been the same way for a long long time.All the men and women who ever lived were all wrong,and the 2-5% of gay people now are right :argue:

The Slippery slope.The liberals grip is "Equal protection clause".Going by that logic :unsure: ,How can we stop someone to marry their brother/sister/mom/dad/cousin/grandma/uncle/whoever.If you let the gays marry,then how do you stop all the other situations.What about someone who wants to marry 3,4,even 10 women,and they are all for it???What about 2 dudes and 2 girls want to all get married together???

Equal protection = Equal protection.

You will not be able to stop the insanity that will loom if we start to let the gays marry. ;) :wall:

Oh.I don't know,maybe:

It has been the same way for a long long time.All the men and women who ever lived were all wrong,and the 2-5% of gay people now are right :argue:

The Slippery slope.The liberals grip is "Equal protection clause".Going by that logic :unsure: ,How can we stop someone to marry their brother/sister/mom/dad/cousin/grandma/uncle/whoever.If you let the gays marry,then how do you stop all the other situations.What about someone who wants to marry 3,4,even 10 women,and they are all for it???What about 2 dudes and 2 girls want to all get married together???

You will not be able to stop the insanity that will loom if we start to let the gays marry. ;) :wall:

:huh:

On which side of the issue do you stand? All I hear is idiot babble. At least come up with something that makes sense. TIA

Gay marriage will lead to men butt-focking dogs at every local playground.

It's a proven fact.

Oh.I don't know,maybe:

It has been the same way for a long long time.All the men and women who ever lived were all wrong,and the 2-5% of gay people now are right :cry:

The Slippery slope.The liberals grip is "Equal protection clause".Going by that logic :blink: ,How can we stop someone to marry their brother/sister/mom/dad/cousin/grandma/uncle/whoever.If you let the gays marry,then how do you stop all the other situations.What about someone who wants to marry 3,4,even 10 women,and they are all for it???What about 2 dudes and 2 girls want to all get married together???

You will not be able to stop the insanity that will loom if we start to let the gays marry. :( :banana:

What does gay marriage have to do with everyone other than that 2-5% being "wrong?" Two dudes getting married doesn't invalidate your marriage. Far as the slippery slope, gay marriage is legal in MA and I haven't heard anything about people marrying their brothers, sister, mom, etc. I'm sure it's illegal in most states to marry within your immediate family (at least). I don't see what that has to do with two consenting, non-related adults. Has gay marraige had any negative consequences for MA? I know I'm not going to change your mind. I just think these arguments are kind of tired and unrealistic.

You will not be able to stop the insanity that will loom if we start to let the gays marry. :wall: :wall:

This sentence alone deftly illustrates your ignorance on this matter.

Ban it. Don't ban it. Just make this issue go away. :wall: :wall:

I finally found a solid reason for not allowing gays to marry - social security benefits and VA benefits. Your SO is entitled to your SS benefits after death and for veterans, their spouses are also allowed to continue to receive those benefits after death.

Allowing gays to marry would increase the amount of SS payments and VA benefits that will be paid out, thus costing the taxpayers.

:wall:

Don't people like GoColts get tired of having opinions so focking stupid that they can't possibly imagine that anyone would believe them?

I mean come on, "we can't let gays marry because that will make homophobes feel bad for being wrong?"

What kind an argument is that?

Or, in spite of tens of thousands of unofficial gay marriages, allowing them rights to insurance, hospital visitation and due entitlement after death will make people want to have animal sex?

It scares me that people are this ignorant.

Homosexuality is a human condition. The only people that don't think so either have amazing never met a gay person or just haven't taken the time to think it through.

Allowing gays to marry would increase the amount of VA benefits that will be paid out, thus costing the taxpayers.

:wall:

Don't Ask Don't Tell

:wall: :banana: :banana:

For or Against Gay Marriage ban?

For the Ban [ 26 ] ** [40.00%]

Against the Ban [ 39 ] ** [60.00%]

That's funny...cause we all know the moment people are actually faced with it and

step into the voting booth it's 80% for 20% against.

That's funny...cause we all know the moment people are actually faced with it and

About half of Americans oppose gay marriage in general. What makes you think 80% of them want to rewrite the Constitution?

That is in Alabama. I don't think that the majority of the US has a 4-1 ratio.