Sign in to follow this  
swamp dog

danny snyder: crack smoker

bear fans would dance a jig if this trade goes down:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6613558

"Drew Rosenhaus, the agent for Bears' disgruntled Pro Bowl linebacker Lance Briggs, told FOXSports.com that the Redskins informed him Monday that they would like to swing a deal that would send Washington's first-round pick, No. 6 overall, to Chicago for the Bears' first-rounder, No. 31, and Briggs.

When asked about such an offer Redskins owner Dan Snyder confirmed to FOXSports.com that he in fact wanted to make the move and they were waiting to talk to Chicago."

It wouldn't shock me (anymore than see the Bears get the 6th pick from Washington) to see the Bears trade out of the pick for a middle first rounder and a third. That said, it would be almost impossible for them not to take Quinn if he fell that far. But at the same time, I could see them trade that pick, with Quinn available, to Miami so they could leap frog Minnesota. With Briggs gone, the number one need would become WSLB. They could get that a lot lower in the draft. What would be interesting is for the Bears, freshly out from under the $7.2m cap hit, to go after David Carr. Grossman is on the last year of his deal and they would have to figure out something to do with Griese and his fat contract but Carr might be a better QB fit for the Bears than Quinn. The Bears still need depth at OL and a replacement for Ruben Brown. They are probably going to be without Tommie Harris for as many as 4 games to start the season. The trade with the Jets makes the #31 pick expendable.

But it would all come down to if the Redskins could sign Briggs. As I understand it, they don't have a hell of a lot of cap space. I am not sure what they are thinking. According to the notoriously unreliable Ask the Commish, they only have $6m left.

That would be about a best case scenario for the Bears, but it seems highly unlikely...although a confirmation from Snyder is almost like a quote (but why not just quote him then, if you actually talked to him, as is inferred). As long as Adam Schefter hasn't weighed in yet, there is still a chance. The kiss of death would be him reporting this likely to happen.

It doesn't make a lot of sense for the Redskins. They just paid big money for a starting MLB in free agency, while they have Marcus Washington, another LB they paid well for, and their one early draft pick from last year, Rocky McIntosh, hasn't gotten a chance, plus they have former starter Lemar Marshall and have drafted like three other LBs in the last two years. With all that money tied up in at two LB spots, they can't field a starter out of the rest of that? Seems unlikely, even for Snyder.

all i have to say is WOW... not cause of WAS wanting to trade for Briggs, but because they are basically setting the value of their #6 overall at Briggs and the 31st pick overall... that's focking ridiculously low... CHI gets to move up 25 spots and just outside of the top 5 just for Briggs??

The move would definately benefit the Bears long term. Short term, there would be a big gaping hole at LB. I'm not sure any draft pick would be able to compensate for the loss short term. Briggs is 26 yrs old and a probowler. Give him a contract he likes and he is as good or better than most teams would want out of their high 1st round pick. The 31 is not chopped liver either. The biggest question with him is how good would he be outside of the Chi defence.

If the Bears were to get the pick, I dont see an obvious selection for them. DE is strong with Ogun, Anderson and Brown. DT appears set now. The biggest gap would b e LB and I dont see any that highly rated. The best impact would be Calvin Johnson should he slip to #6 (doubtful). The would be a nice winfall.

Less obvious areas of need are some older players with big contracts. I can see them potentially getting rid of Ogunleye and Muhammed is older and expensive.

Levi Brown is another potential for the #6 pick. As far as qb, they will go with Grossman, Griese and Orton for another year. This is the contract year for Rex, so its make or break for him. They will either resign him during the year or turn the page for next year at qb and look for free agency or a draft qb.

Very interesting.

The move would definately benefit the Bears long term. Short term, there would be a big gaping hole at LB. I'm not sure any draft pick would be able to compensate for the loss short term. Briggs is 26 yrs old and a probowler. Give him a contract he likes and he is as good or better than most teams would want out of their high 1st round pick. The 31 is not chopped liver either. The biggest question with him is how good would he be outside of the Chi defence.

If the Bears were to get the pick, I dont see an obvious selection for them. DE is strong with Ogun, Anderson and Brown. DT appears set now. The biggest gap would b e LB and I dont see any that highly rated. The best impact would be Calvin Johnson should he slip to #6 (doubtful). The would be a nice winfall.

Less obvious areas of need are some older players with big contracts. I can see them potentially getting rid of Ogunleye and Muhammed is older and expensive.

Levi Brown is another potential for the #6 pick. As far as qb, they will go with Grossman, Griese and Orton for another year. This is the contract year for Rex, so its make or break for him. They will either resign him during the year or turn the page for next year at qb and look for free agency or a draft qb.

Very interesting.

you think there's any chance that they would trade down a few spots and then go after Patrick Willis? i ask, cause as a CAR fan, i'm hoping we can pull him at 14 as he is pretty much a clone of Morgan, without the concussion problems. I know Willis is a MLB, but he does have pretty good speed and might be able to be able to switch to WSLB... just curious since LB would be CHI's biggest apparent need...

you think there's any chance that they would trade down a few spots and then go after Patrick Willis? i ask, cause as a CAR fan, i'm hoping we can pull him at 14 as he is pretty much a clone of Morgan, without the concussion problems. I know Willis is a MLB, but he does have pretty good speed and might be able to be able to switch to WSLB... just curious since LB would be CHI's biggest apparent need...

They could trade down, but I doubt they would go for a MLB. Though I dont know much about Willis and whether he could play on the weak side. Hillenmeyer is fine, but not irreplacable either.

I'm so happy the Redskins are in the NFC East. :thumbsdown:

I'm sure you are. Those fans should stop going to the games in order to get Snyder to sell the team. What a horrible decision this would be. Making a huge trade for a LB that's proven in the cover 2 defense who could easily struggle in Washington's defense.

Snyder should be trying to move down to add picks not give up 25 spots in the first round for a player only.

The Bears would be ecstatic about this move. They'd have 2 first rounders and a high 2nd then.

I am not going to say it won't happen. But I'd be :dunno: if it did.

Question...Whats the one common thread in trade rumors this offseason?

Answer...The rumors have been incorrect many times in what is actually being offered.

McGahee was rumored to be traded for a 3rd round pick. But actually got two 3rds and a 7th.

Shaub was rumored to be traded for a 1st or 2nd round pick. But the deal was for two 2nds and a flip flop of 1st round picks (only 2 spots).

My point being that the rumor of Briggs and a flop of 1st round picks (25 spots) is probably off from what is really being offered if indeed something is being offered.

according to the draft chart, Briggs equals the 16th overall pick as value in this trade. Not to crazy, but I think he would be in the wrong system in washington, not to mention he won't have nearly the help he has in chicago.

Very interesting.

if the bears got the #6 pick i'd predict they'd take landry at that spot. or quinn if he drops.

They could trade down, but I doubt they would go for a MLB. Though I dont know much about Willis and whether he could play on the weak side. Hillenmeyer is fine, but not irreplacable either.

willis will play mlb in the nfl. the bears already have what's-his-name playing there :dunno:

If I were WAS, i'd do it in a heartbeat. Get one of the top LBs in Briggs.

There only giving up the 6th pick.

Last 5 #6 picks. Looks like #6 hasn't been that great.

06-Vernon Davis

05-Pac Man

04-Winslow

03-Jonathon Sullivan

02-Ryan Sims

06-Vernon Davis

05-Pac Man

04-Winslow

03-Jonathon Sullivan

02-Ryan Sims

That is very sound reasoning. It's a definite trend that doesn't look like it's ever going to change. I'm sold. Washington would be nuts to not go for that trade. :pointstosky:

06-Vernon Davis

05-Pac Man

04-Winslow

03-Jonathon Sullivan

02-Ryan Sims

My point exactly. Whenever a top 10 draft pick is involved in a possible trade, everyone seems to wet their pants on why a team shouldn't trade that high of a pick, but as big D so accurately illustrated, that pick doesn't necessarily guarantee a game-changing player.

So why not go with an established and experienced player who's proven himself and who's only 25-26 years old? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I thought the rumor I heard had the Bears trading Briggs AND their #1 pick (31) for the #1 pick of the Redskins (6). As a Bear fan, this trade does very little for me if I have to give up our own #1 pick.

Every year Dan Snyder proves that trading draft picks, wholesale changing of your personnel and spending tons of money in free agency is not the way to build a contender. The Redskins are the poster child of how not to be successful in the post-free agency NFL.

Every year Dan Snyder proves that trading draft picks, wholesale changing of your personnel and spending tons of money in free agency is not the way to build a contender. The Redskins are the poster child of how not to be successful in the post-free agency NFL.

Yet, for some reason, Danny boy keeps doing it.

Yet, for some reason, Danny boy keeps doing it.

Oh! Rub it in :thumbsup: .Don't know if my 'Skins will ever figure it out!

Maybe the Skins turn around and send Briggs to Denver for Bly and #21! :dunno:

No Way, We couldn't be THAT clever, more likely be Briggs & #31 for Bly, what do we want with first rounders :(

If the guy could play in Washington's system...and who are most here to claim he could not...not a bad deal.

Move down in the draft, and get a very good young player who you already know is as solid as just about any LB out there.

Briggs is a gifted athlete still in the prime of his career...Id say any coaches involved in evaluating whether he would fit in with Washington would have more to say about it than some message board chatter claiming the guy could not play outside of the Bears D. Its not as if he is an undersized guy trying to fit in somewhere.

If the guy could play in Washington's system...and who are most here to claim he could not...not a bad deal.

Move down in the draft, and get a very good young player who you already know is as solid as just about any LB out there.

Briggs is a gifted athlete still in the prime of his career...Id say any coaches involved in evaluating whether he would fit in with Washington would have more to say about it than some message board chatter claiming the guy could not play outside of the Bears D. Its not as if he is an undersized guy trying to fit in somewhere.

I do not believe this deal will happen, just a hunch. The only person I see or hear is super agent Drew.

This is simply a product of Drew's close relationship with Dan the Man. Dan the Man would do the deal in a heartbeat, Drew is his emissary. The Bears wont bite though, Briggs will be beside Urlacher on opening day next season. Drew is just posturing, utilizing the skins. I seem to think Angelos will change that stance with some greenbacks. Drew is just reminding the Bears of what the market will bear and the fact that Briggs wants to get the deal done NOW.

If this were a valid possibilty being discussed by each front office, I would have mixed feelings for several reasons. If Briggs' skills translate to the Williams system, its seems to be deal slightly in favor of the skins. My reasoning being I believe Briggs' resume supports the trade being weighted in favor of the skins. As stated in a previous post above, #6 is no sure fire pro bowler. So sliding down in the 1st round of the draft 25 picks or so to deal unilaterally with Briggs would make sense, as he is a pro bowl, impact LB. This part of me likes the idea of adding a legitimate, young, pro bowl player, regardless of their position, within reason Getting the bears #1(31) is the factor that would put it over the top though. The skins could still go get nearly as decent of player as #6 to help on D-line.

One issue that complicates the worthiness of this trade is the competency of the Redskins front office to accurately measure the abilities of Briggs skills and strengths in the Skins scheme. Skins front office has a horrible track record evaluating FA talent and current talent, their draft track record is a little better though.

My major issue with the trade would be that, as most everybody here knows, LB is not the position of concern or need in DC. A decent pass rushing threat, corner help, a monster run stopper to put next to C. Griffin and even a cover safety opposite S. Taylor might take precedent over this possible acquisition. Just because Dan the Man can and will guarantee more money for anybody he wants, doesnt mean he should all the time. I and, I believe, most skins fans feel comfortable with Fletcher, Washington, and McIntosh at LB next yr. So the need does not justify the want in this scenario.

bear fans would dance a jig if this trade goes down:

so would Skins fans...

Briggs is better then anyone they can get at #6, so we get a pro bowler plus a pick, rather then an over rated DL/DE.

Its not going to happen though, and Bears fan should be happy; they would have gotten the raw end of the deal here.

so would Skins fans...

Briggs is better then anyone they can get at #6, so we get a pro bowler plus a pick, rather then an over rated DL/DE.

Its not going to happen though, and Bears fan should be happy; they would have gotten the raw end of the deal here.

wow. that spin just gave me whiplash.

so would Skins fans...

I heard a recording of the bears gm saying pretty much the same thing on mike and mike this morning. It sounded like he believes that briggs will show up for the first game when his paycheck is on the line.

So you have some sort of inside knowledge that Briggs cannot play in Washington's defense?

Or just an assumption?

so would Skins fans...

How would getting a 6th overall pick not be worth a LB that is mad and has said he doesn't want to play for the Bears?

6th pick> LB who doesn't want to play for the team and is willing to hold out..... :(

I don't know what your reasoning is?

Spikes was still in the prime of his career when he came to Buffalo, he was good but not the same player he was in Cincy....

How would Briggs be better than anyone taken at 6?....They could tarde the 6th and get multiple picks, that is the key for bad teams....Most all good teams today build through the draft. Wonder why the Skins have been crap for so long?....they don't seem to get this....

If i were Washington, I'd do that deal in a second (not taking cap/$ in account)

So you have some sort of inside knowledge that Briggs cannot play in Washington's defense?

Or just an assumption?

you have no clue, yet you open your pie hole continually. :mad:

i wouldn't give up the #6 pick for briggs--regardless of his fit (or not). hope that helps.

my opinion.

If i were Washington, I'd do that deal in a second (not taking cap/$ in account)

chris mortensen was on mike and mike this morning. said angelo talked briefly with wash and essentially said "no thanks" and he also ripped the redskins for their part in how this became a circus in the media.

there's probably nothing more to this than rosenhaus working the media apparatus like he always does, and danny boy being his willing tool (in more ways than one).

you have no clue, yet you open your pie hole continually. B)

i wouldn't give up the #6 pick for briggs--regardless of his fit (or not). hope that helps.

my opinion.

chris mortensen was on mike and mike this morning. said angelo talked briefly with wash and essentially said "no thanks" and he also ripped the redskins for their part in how this became a circus in the media.

there's probably nothing more to this than rosenhaus working the media apparatus like he always does, and danny boy being his willing tool (in more ways than one).

They are not just giving up #6...they are getting #31 in return as well.

But, that is why you are a fan of the Lions, who constantly land top 10 picks only to waste quite a few of them on crap.

Briggs is a proven talent...how many top 10 picks have flopped over the years?

This trade, outside of the cap ramifications of signing him, is very good for Washington.

And getting a bit testy aren't we...a bit pissed that I, and others, continually have you pegged for what you are. A raging homer who seems to have little knowledge about the game.

The trade, as I have read someone say, would put a value of about the #16 pick on Briggs.

So, in essence, the Skins trade the #6 pick in the draft...for the #16 and #31...and be taking Briggs...a proven talent, at the #16 pick...and still have another first round pick.

Its a no brainer...

They are not just giving up #6...they are getting #31 in return as well.

But, that is why you are a fan of the Lions, who constantly land top 10 picks only to waste quite a few of them on crap.

Briggs is a proven talent...how many top 10 picks have flopped over the years?

This trade, outside of the cap ramifications of signing him, is very good for Washington.

And getting a bit testy aren't we...a bit pissed that I, and others, continually have you pegged for what you are. A raging homer who seems to have little knowledge about the game.

The trade, as I have read someone say, would put a value of about the #16 pick on Briggs.

So, in essence, the Skins trade the #6 pick in the draft...for the #16 and #31...and be taking Briggs...a proven talent, at the #16 pick...and still have another first round pick.

Its a no brainer...

yes, i'm aware the alledged offer also included the 31 pick. still, my opinion, a bad trade for the redskins. disagree. it's a free country.

yes, i'm aware the alledged offer also included the 31 pick. still, my opinion, a bad trade for the redskins. disagree. it's a free country.

I do disagree...and have no clue why you think it was so bad to say he is a crack smoker.

Do you just think Briggs is that bad?

I do disagree...and have no clue why you think it was so bad to say he is a crack smoker.

Do you just think Briggs is that bad?

i think *some* of his hype is the system (and urlacher) that made him in chicago. but that's not the point. as others have mentioned, danny boy has frittered away draft picks left and right and tried to thrown millions of dollars chasing free agents hap-hazardly to dismal results.

you say the redskin coaches know more than posters here, but what makes you think they're calling the shots here? you conveniently dismiss everyone in this thread who thinks this is a bad tade for the redskins and ask us to prove our position, yet you cling to a simple assertion it's a good trade for the skins because the skins coaches obviously know what they're doing.

yes, danny snyder is a crack smoker. so are you going to take on his case as well? your retainer list gets longer by the day :banana:

seriously, how many of lions top ten picks have gone bust in the past ten years? i mean, isn't that why they are picking in the top ten EVERY year.

i think *some* of his hype is the system (and urlacher) that made him in chicago. but that's not the point. as others have mentioned, danny boy has frittered away draft picks left and right and tried to thrown millions of dollars chasing free agents hap-hazardly to dismal results.

you say the redskin coaches know more than posters here, but what makes you think they're calling the shots here? you conveniently dismiss everyone in this thread who thinks this is a bad tade for the redskins and ask us to prove our position, yet you cling to a simple assertion it's a good trade for the skins because the skins coaches obviously know what they're doing.

yes, danny snyder is a crack smoker. so are you going to take on his case as well? your retainer list gets longer by the day :ninja:

my first suggestion - is really in the first two words of this post of yours...

PLEASE DON'T THINK - it hurts us all :o