Sign in to follow this  
Let Da Big Dog Eat

Why Ipods will ruin our society

Yeah, great for mowing the grass etc. but I am talking about the effect on our kids. They download all kinds of crap rap so instead of interacting with other kids on school buses etc and instead of learning how to relate to people, they are listening to crap about ho's, biatches, jail and all things in the kingdom of thugdom.

My G/F got one for her 12 yr old granddaughter 2 months ago and she went from ok to totally out of control. When her crackhead mother looked at what was on it (amid much screaming by said 12 yr old), there was a ton of crap rap on it.

So deadbeat g/f can buy an Ipod, but can't scare up enough to keep the lights on in her trailer. Nice priorities. Quite a catch you have there, sir!

:blink:

And yes, I'm sure the child was perfectly normal and was enjoying the benefits of being raised in an extremely nurturing environment before that sinister, evil Apple Inc. poisoned her mind with that devil electronic gizmo that plays that awful rap music. I think I smell a class action lawsuit. Hey, maybe with her portion of the court award, your g/f could go ahead and throw 50 bucks at the utility company.

;)

Yeah, great for mowing the grass etc. but I am talking about the effect on our kids. They download all kinds of crap rap so instead of interacting with other kids on school buses etc and instead of learning how to relate to people, they are listening to crap about ho's, biatches, jail and all things in the kingdom of thugdom.

My G/F got one for her 12 yr old granddaughter 2 months ago and she went from ok to totally out of control. When her crackhead mother looked at what was on it (amid much screaming by said 12 yr old), there was a ton of crap rap on it.

You're right. IPods are the downfall of our society...

I wish I had one... :blink:

So deadbeat g/f can buy an Ipod, but can't scare up enough to keep the lights on in her trailer. Nice priorities. Quite a catch you have there, sir!

:blink:

And yes, I'm sure the child was perfectly normal and was enjoying the benefits of being raised in an extremely nurturing environment before that sinister, evil Apple Inc. poisoned her mind with that devil electronic gizmo that plays that awful rap music. I think I smell a class action lawsuit. Hey, maybe with her portion of the court award, your g/f could go ahead and throw 50 bucks at the utility company.

;)

Actually, I can't argue your post in any way. It's about ovah. Too bad really, she is so sweet and generous to a fault but her priorities are so F'd up. Altho, the granddaughters behavior did change dramatically about a week after..........

The G/F is not a deadbeat.  Works really hard.  2 of her adult kids are (both female) and she takes care of them and 3 grandchildren and just has messed up priorities.  But, I just can't take it anymore.

I agree with you.

Well I'm Eazy E, I got bitches galore!

You may have a lot of bitches, but I got much more!

:dunno:

:banana:

I could not have said it much better than this.

"My kid is hooked on heroin and just shot up a school. It must have been the work of that damned Ludacrisp"

:lol:

1) same thing was said about walkmans when we were growing up

2) Be a better parent. Make sure your idiot children know that this music is not the way to treat people and it is not a reflection on how to act in society.

If you cannot win the battle over an Ipod when it comes to your child's sense of right and wrong, you have zero business being a parent.

Well I'm Eazy E, I got bitches galore!

You may have a lot of bitches, but I got much more!

I listened to all that crap growing up. NWA, Too Short etc.... Miraculously, I didn't become a gang banger and slap my ho's as it were.

:lol:

Oh, these kinds today and their music. Dadgumit, next thing you know they'll be kneckin' and such. And probably smoking the pot.

I don't see the problem. I grew up with a walkman contantly blasting devil music into my head and look at me now

:thumbsup: :banana: :banana:

Take a tip from the Jason Whitlock thread. Blame the right thing, not the easy thing.

The problem with sed kid is not her ipod. It's her parents.

Unfortunately our society doesn't look real deep anymore. I guess it's too much work to look past the surface. So go ahead and blame the ipod. It's the easy way out.

While I agree that the responsibility falls upon the parent, I think you guys are missing Big Dog's thesis: instead of socializing, discussing, learning, reading- the kids are isolating themselves in situations where past generations developed social skills and discussed the world around them. I have an Ipod (which I listen too primarily when fishing or playing live poker) as does my 15 yo daughter. I have a similar problem with video games, when abused or overplayed. Our kids are losing their ability to solve problems, appraise ambiguous situations and relate to others because every minute of down time is spent in electronic isolation. One parent's opinion.

I have a similar problem with video games, when abused or overplayed.

I play a lot of video games and look at how well-adjusted I am!

Never mind.

:cheers:

My nephew has an iPod and does not listen to "crap rap" on it. My sister monitors what he puts on it (he generally has good taste, but does listen to AFI and Panic! at the Disco *sigh*) and monitors when he listens to it. He's had it for nearly a year (he's eight) and his behaviour has not changed in the least.

My older cousins also have iPods and are completely well adjusted. They can carry on conversations and interact normally with people and have active social lives and lots of friends.

I hardly think it is the iPod's fault. That child has far more issues than an iPod if two weeks of listening to it turned her from a well-mannered young woman into a raging hellion.

You know, if it was on her iPod she has been listening to that same music before. It's not like she only heard of it or started listening to it because she got the iPod.

No, what your really saying is rap is ruining our society. Flashback, that is what your parents said about rock and roll. The moral of this story?? You guys are getting OLD, i bet it takes you a year and half to get a woody..

I know a lot of kids that hate rap, but, those kids are mainly emo kids, which is a much bigger problem than listening to rap. I would say my ipod is about 45% rap, 30% country, 15% metallica, 10% other(some disturbed, classic rock, a few alternative). I let some friends listen to my pod, and they usually like mine better than theirs, you'd be suprised how many kids like both rap and country. I use to hate rap, but, then i started to actually listen to it. Really, it's not that much different than other genres, just expressed in a different form.

Id hate to say it, but, the one thing that may have the most contribution to a perhaps decaying society is video games. I see more kids becoming gamers and slacking off in school, not getting jobs, ect. It is making teen, and adults for that matter, very lazy and unwilling to get off their fatass and doing things that make contribute to society. I like playing video games, but, i am deffinently not a gamer. It is fine to play video games for a bit, or watch TV, ect. But, when it starts to become your whole life, like about 20-30% of teens i know, then it becomes a problem.

No, what your really saying is rap is ruining our society. Flashback, that is what your parents said about rock and roll. The moral of this story?? You guys are getting OLD, i bet it takes you a year and half to get a woody..

He's 56, give him a break. He barely has the energy to press the keys on his computer.

I know a lot of kids that hate rap, but, those kids are mainly emo kids, which is a much bigger problem than listening to rap. I would say my ipod is about 45% rap, 30% country, 15% metallica, 10% other(some disturbed, classic rock, a few alternative). I let some friends listen to my pod, and they usually like mine better than theirs, you'd be suprised how many kids like both rap and country. I use to hate rap, but, then i started to actually listen to it. Really, it's not that much different than other genres, just expressed in a different form.

Id hate to say it, but, the one thing that may have the most contribution to a perhaps decaying society is video games. I see more kids becoming gamers and slacking off in school, not getting jobs, ect. It is making teen, and adults for that matter, very lazy and unwilling to get off their fatass and doing things that make contribute to society. I like playing video games, but, i am deffinently not a gamer. It is fine to play video games for a bit, or watch TV, ect. But, when it starts to become your whole life, like about 20-30% of teens i know, then it becomes a problem.

There is no question that we should heed a defense of rap music from a man whose screen name is an homage to an unquestioned rap music genius.

There is no question that we should heed a defense of rap music from a man whose screen name is an homage to an unquestioned rap music genius.

Daaaamnnn right :cry: No, Hammer was really a one hit wonder...but what a hit :clap:

While I agree that the responsibility falls upon the parent, I think you guys are missing Big Dog's thesis: instead of socializing, discussing, learning, reading- the kids are isolating themselves in situations where past generations developed social skills and discussed the world around them. I have an Ipod (which I listen too primarily when fishing or playing live poker) as does my 15 yo daughter. I have a similar problem with video games, when abused or overplayed. Our kids are losing their ability to solve problems, appraise ambiguous situations and relate to others because every minute of down time is spent in electronic isolation. One parent's opinion.

Yep, that is the main point that I apparently expressed so poorly.

I also agree with those that suggest that excessive video gaming causes the same problem.

Last, those who make reference that rock n roll was deemed to pose the same issues "back in the day" while at times having veiled glorification to drug use never glorified violence, general thugary or referred to women in such a vile way.

On 4/11/2007 at 12:24 AM, Let Da Big Dog Eat said:

:o     Talk about nailing it.  Who knew the ipod would turn into the smartphone. 

12 minutes ago, edjr said:

:o     Talk about nailing it.  Who knew the ipod would turn into the smartphone. 

I wrote a research paper for grad school in about 2003 the predicted it.   At the time 3g/4g was still being tested, and I wrote a paper predicting how it would become the center of our lives.