Sign in to follow this  
MLCKAA

Need new Rock & Roll

I gotta get some new rock music to listen to. Any of the numerous rock sub-genres is fine.

Please give suggestions. :headbanger:

If you want new, we must be talking very recent albums. And maybe you already like or don't like the following. Don't worry, these aren't obscure bands.

Two of my favorite recent albums:

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade

Muse - Black Holes and Revelations

You could check on Youtube the videos for "Starlight" or "Super Massive Black Hole" or "Knights of Cydonia" by Muse; and "Famous Last Words" or "Welcome to the Black Parade" or "I Don't Love You" by My Chemical Romance to see if you like their sound. Especially Starlight and Famous Last Words. Very solid songs.

Snow Patrol and Arctic Monkeys aren't bad. If you want more "mainstream" sounds, the two recent albums by The Killers and Fall Out Boy are good.

It's not brand new and he isn't liked by everyone, but I am currently digging Beck's latest, The Information.

You can hear the whole thing here:

The Information, Beck

:banana: :( :D

1. Elevator Music 	
2. Think I'm In Love 	
3. Cellphone's Dead 	
4. Strange Apparition
5. Soldier Jane 	
6. Nausea 	
7. New Round 
8. Dark Star 	
9. We Dance Alone 	
10. No Complaints 	
11. 1000 BPM 	
12. Motorcade 	
13. The Information 	
14. Movie Theme 	
15. The Horrible Fanfare/Landslide Exoskeleton

Never heard of them, but I like those two songs....the first one the singer reminded me a little bit of Perry Farrell, the second one a little bit of Jim Morrison...I will def. look out for some more tunes by them...kinda retro, but not a copy of any one either.

More recommendations, please! I've already checked out and rejected everything that's been suggested here so far. :wub:

What do you like to listen to? :banana:

ETA: Some newer bands I like.

If you're into UK pop/punk/rock I really like the Futureheads, Franz Ferdinand and the Libertines, but if you aren't into Arctic Monkeys I'd be surprised if you like any of them.

If you want loud, balls-out rock check out Fu Manchu (sound a little like Sabbath and AC/DC), Death from Above 1979 (sort of speed metal), or the Cathaters (focking LOUD).

If you're looking for original rock, I'm into the British invasion stuff - the Yardbirds and Kinks both have great anthologies.

If you like punk / new wave, Gang of Four is one of my favorite bands. Their newer record "Return the Gift" is terrific.

If you like 80s rock Interpol and the Rapture are worth checking out.

If you like indie/alternative rock, the new Sonic Youth album "Rather Ripped" is real good.

The Raveonettes are a newer band that are like really noisy 50s rock.

A few more names for you to veto. :wub:

Bingo. Help us, help you.

Ok, sorry. Really, there's no genre I can't sample. I generally don't like hip hop and most of the Nu Metal is usually disappointing. It seems like those bands really can rock hard, but have stupid lyrics and bad vocalists. If only it was all available split track so I could just hear the rock.

Anyway, in the CD player in my car right now are: Guster, Nirvana (Bleach), Best of John Denver, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Iron Maiden, and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

I also dig Sufjan Stevens, Ryan Adams, Regina Spektor, The Shins, Spoon, Jenny Lewis, Eisley, Death Cab, Arcade Fire, Calexico, a lot of 90's rock and 80's rock/metal.

In the last 2 years I've grown to appreciate 70's rock. Not the cheezy, stupid Cat Stevens crap, but the rock.

Ok, sorry. Really, there's no genre I can't sample. I generally don't like hip hop and most of the Nu Metal is usually disappointing. It seems like those bands really can rock hard, but have stupid lyrics and bad vocalists. If only it was all available split track so I could just hear the rock.

Anyway, in the CD player in my car right now are: Guster, Nirvana (Bleach), Best of John Denver, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Iron Maiden, and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

I also dig Sufjan Stevens, Ryan Adams, Regina Spektor, The Shins, Spoon, Jenny Lewis, Eisley, Death Cab, Arcade Fire, Calexico, a lot of 90's rock and 80's rock/metal.

In the last 2 years I've grown to appreciate 70's rock. Not the cheezy, stupid Cat Stevens crap, but the rock.

In that case you might like some of my suggestions. My GF is really into Death Cab, Spoon, the Shins and Arcade Fire, and she also loves Peter Bjorn and John (great album) and the Futureheads - "News and Reviews" is the best record I've bought in awhile. Maybe start with them?

You might want to give Modest Mouse a try.

Oh, and new Nine Inch Nails is due out on Tuesday. :wub:

yeah... i heard a bunch of the modest mouse songs on the radio when they did a special preview of the CD

:banana: sounded pretty good...

a couple "new" CDs you might dig if you like modest mouse

the shout out louds- howl howl gaff gaff

(listen to this and see if ya likey

built to spill... they aren't new but fly under the radar kinda...

a song to check out by them would be "strange" or "carry the zero" to see if you likes

Anyway, in the CD player in my car right now are: Guster

wow i love guster probably one of my favorite bands... which CD?? not a guster song i don't like... "keep it together" and "lost and gone forever" are great and the new CD is slowly but surely growing on me :wub:

if you like guster you'd probably like dispatch... (if you don't already)

let's see... "

" or "
" are two good songs

sorry... could only find live versions

Thanks for the tips. Downloads of questionable legality are now underway...

My Morning Jacket!

Also, Wilco. And I haven't really listened to the whole album, but "Wolf Like Me" by TV On The Radio brings the :banana:

There are only a handful of bands that im a big fan. Most rock i listen to is, one song from this group, another from that one and thats about it. I like that one song, no one knows by queens of the stone age, but then thats the only song i have by that group on my ipod.

But the bands who's music i actually seek out are:

Gorillaz- My favorite band

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Sublime

I don't know if sublime and gorillaz count as rock but they're dope. But yea, i'm sure you've already gave the peppers and sublime a chance but if you haven't listened to gorillaz, go do it.

My favorite songs are november has come, dracula, tomorrow comes today.

Of course clint eastwood is classic too.

Just curious, but what Maiden do you have in your car right now?

I'm happy to say that I've got my kids (7 y/o daughter and 9 y/o son) hooked on "Somewhere in Time". My wife is getting sick of them asking for it when we're in the mini-van (yes, I'm an old fock). It's pretty cool hearing my daughter sing the chorus of "Wasted Years", though! :)

Frijid Pink if you can get past the clothes etc. and just listen it's a decent tune with a good riff,they also did a great cover of

As for the 80's we had a local KC band called The Rainmakers that actually started making a name for themselves,hell horror writer Stephen King liked their lyrics so well he used quotes from 2 songs in 2 seperate novels.They were actually huge in all of all places Norway,unfortunately they had some executive problems with the record company and although they kept recording on some smaller labels they never quite got the props they deserved.

Needless to say I'm a huge fan of the band and still go to KC once in awhile to see Bob,the band's lead singer do some acoustic sets at a little bar in Westport.

Here's some videos,if you like good lyrics and riffs you should like these guys.

Downstream

Government Cheese

Drinkin' On The Job

Small Circles

I enjoy discovering new music and helping others do the same so here's one more newer one by old classic Peter Frampton,his newest project is instrumental and absolutely fantastic.

Death from Above 1979 (sort of speed metal)

Speed metal? Seriously? I'd say they were more in the dance-punk vein.

The Fratellis :dunno: Costello Music is their CD. good stuff.

Here are some of their vids.

Flathead.

Creeping Up the Backstairs- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeBgHzcvihg

Been listening to the cd on my music site,interesting song titles,Vince The Loveable Stoner,Got Ma Nuts from A Hippy,so far I've ordered Flathead.