Sign in to follow this  
jgcrawfish

I hate to ask, but where are all the oldtimers?

there are too many unfunny, unwitty, uninformative posters around here now.

There was a time when drobeski was the worst poster and most blatant homer on the board... many have since surpassed him. An infusion of drobeskis would actually improve this place now.

The HELP Board is a useless farce. Let's get that straight. I don't go there because I don't WANT to go to ANOTHER board... I already visit too many. I'd like to pick and choose a quality WSIS post right from the FF board... IT'S A FOCKING FF BOARD FOR FOCK'S SAKE!!!

I only come to FFT to read Maphisto's priceless posts.

:thumbsup:

The serious football fan goes elsewhere because the mods allow jerkoffs like Mackgee and Gambino hang around here.

It's hard to look for real information when you have to sort through a dozen "Your team sucks" and "I slept with your mother" posts before you get a good one.

Speaking of which, wtf happened to Pimptaddy???? :dunno:

Not that I really miss him, but 1 or 2 of his 800+ posts actually had some decent information and opinion in them.

Of course, that still left the other 798+ posts to deal with..... :unsure:

Well I think the juvenile behavior prevalent on the board this year is a big factor. While it was always present before, it seems like the calling out/name calling/slander/cyber stalking/moronic 3rd person self-talk/trollish behavior is at an all-time high. There used to a lot more geniune wit around here, stuff that would have you falling out of your chair laughing. Now it's just loud and boorish (IMO - your mileage may vary).

It seems to me we have lost some quality members as a result, but I could be off base.

:unsure:

I can pick up the pace, but even though I'm always right, I get shouted down by a bunch of retards, so what's the point.

In my opinion.. the bored has been in steady decline since Moose got banned and the site went down during FFL crunchtime. That being said, I still like the rankings and resources here more than anything, and come here for that reason alone. I agree that the bored definitely was better in the past. MKB4, Tiki Barber's Barber, Bouve just come to mind... I wonder where those guys are now.

In my opinion.. the bored has been in steady decline since Moose got banned and the site went down during FFL crunchtime. That being said, I still like the rankings and resources here more than anything, and come here for that reason alone. I agree that the bored definitely was better in the past. MKB4, Tiki Barber's Barber, Bouve just come to mind... I wonder where those guys are now.

Didn't Bouve get run off the board for being a compulsive liar?

Well, the reference was for more old time stuff, so that rules out the My Chemical Romance part. I guess The Cure would do so long as it was during the melancholy "Fascination Street" days maybe. Actually, I'm feeling better now. Anytime I feel down I always remember, it could be worse, I could be a Seahawk fan. :cheers: :terribletowl:

I too am an old timer -- both in registration and age. I bet most of the folks here have no idea who DM and the Cure are. You could always choose some New Order -- it sounds happy until you listen to the lyrics.

I agree that the quality went down without MKB4, Bouve, Cruzer, etc. but I still check this site a few times a week just to make sure I'm not missing anything because even though the analysis is down, you still get info quicker than Rotoworld reports it. For instance I think someone on this site reported Gado getting picked up by the Dolphins nearly 48 hours before Rotoworld picked it up, so there is merit in coming here if you wade thru the junk posts.

Thanks, dog. :cheers: Leave link...will answer yours.

:banana:

I never understood the people who said "leave a link ill answer yours"......why would I want their help when they can't even answer their own questions?

Just turns into...moron helps moron.

I too am an old timer -- both in registration and age. I bet most of the folks here have no idea who DM and the Cure are.

Two bands that strived (and failed) to be as good as the Smiths?

As long as FFT never ends up having 300 pinned threads for every game, injury or news story I can live with the help board posts and juvenile nonsense. The other site which I won't name also has a bunch of douchebags who all think their sheit doesn't stink. I think they have a lot of quality information but the rules, pinned topics and annoying people there are'nt worth wading thru to get to it.

back in my day...........before all these snot nosed punks......

seriously, i think the more people, the more BS you gotta wade through. it's that simple. lotta strong personalities, lotta people trollin for a fight, lotta people lookin for help. it all adds up to total chaos! remember: it's fantasy football it's supposed to be fun. oh yea, and have a thick skin.

sincerely,

new guy

I think it starts with the fact that so many of the 70,000+ members here aren't signed up to contribute anything. FF is exploding in popularity and this place is the first Google search result that pops up. Combine that with this place being free and you get a ton of morons who simply expect everyone to just help out their FF team when they need it and otherwise they can keep DL'ing Hannah Montana episodes or something. If more of the posters here actually CARED what the bored was like at least half as much as they do about their own stupid questions, this would be a better place. I'm fairly new too, but I remember signing up and learning really quickly whose opinion to value and who was just a clown. A lot of those guys HAVE gone since then, and I think it's the fact that with the influx of clueless FF bandwagoners the "old" discussion of things that were actually beneficial to everyone have become hit-and-run posts for someone who's pissed they didn't rip off the league moron and want 100 strangers to feel sorry for him and his pussy-ass league. Why would guys who actually know what the fock they're doing want to be a part of that? It's honestly beneath them. There should be some sort of monthly membership test or something.

Someone taking a roll call for old farts?

The 'crash' definitely took its toll. It seems the site lost alot of valuable gurus back then. I swing by every few days to make sure the place hasnt burned down, but it seems like vets around here are constantly havin' to put out fires. These young knuckleheads would be lucky to get insight from so many of us, but the level of disrespect leaves me just shakin' my head time and time again.

When most of us started playing this stuff, we didnt have the benefit of free sites like this to come vulture valuable information. We learned to think for ourselves. Everybody's hungry now to know which scrub to pick up off the waiver wire to fill in for their injured RB who's hurt because his offensive line sucks. You put a rookie at right tackle to protect an already questionable QB who's throwing to a couple of weak, underachieving, injury-prone WRs, with a brand new offensive coordinator and what do you think's gonna happen? Just a small, isolated example.

If guys spent as much time looking up simple information as they did asking other people for answers, they might eventually have something meaningful to add around here, instead of "what do you guys think of this scrub"? or "why does so and so suck so much this year"? or "which one of these trades looks sweeter"? The day I need to come here for trade approval is the day I permanently hang it up. Its pretty funny. There are unlimited resources to use to gain the most fundamental advantages in FF. Everyone's just a couple of steps away from being a guru. One of you guys needs to write a 'how to' book on becoming a FF guru. Im not sure Ive seen one. And Im sure right now it would be a best seller. And if/when you need help on how to rob your buddy blind in a trade, give me a call. That was always my specialty area.

Good talkin' to you Old-timers. and you young guys, go read a paper. you might learn somethin'.

There's a ton of truth in that one statement alone. I'm very new around here, but usually try to contribute solid information and opinions to discussions. I have also found myself doing a lot more research in an effort to support my stance on a given issue, which has been very valuable to me. If people spent just a little bit of time searching for their own information, they would be amazed at the volume of information on a given topic they could find.

And I agree that it's totally ridiculous and absurd to get to go looking to total strangers for advice on how to run your team when you don't know squat about them and they don't know squat about your team, your league scoring, the competition in the league, etc.

The only exception to this is the total FNG, who really doesn't have a clue about FF. That person needs all the help they can get, but they'll a ton more if they just spend a lot of time here reading threads. They can gain a large variety of opinions on any given topic, and also learn where people are finding the information that they provide, which will be very beneficial to the newb long after this board is gone. But, to just come here to the mange board and as WSIS questions and rate this trade type questions without doing any of their own research is just plain lazy.

I, for one, really like seeing the silverbacks around here because, usually if they're around, they're in the middle of a lively and good ff discussion. <_<

i have been around for a long time (member #14). imho, the main reason this board has deteriorated is due to immature posts (cursing, insults, childish behavior). i love some of the quick witted replys and trash talk but some posts are just plain immature. this is not supposed to be some juvenile hang out. i would gladly volunteer to be a mod and delete all of the useless posts and occasionally ban peeps. a quality ff board requires quality members who make quality posts.

Alot has to do with changing of the times. I know when I was around all the time I had no kid, an understanding wife, and a job that allowed me time to post alot during the day.

Now I have a 7 year old, my wife is a biotch, and I have a "real" job that blocks FFToday. <_<

I gotta admit that the only reason I still hang out here is because it's home and I'm sticking around for the kid's sake. Otherwise, I would have divorced you fockers a long time ago. :music_guitarred:

This place really does suck now

Wow, I never knew Moose was banned. Wasn't he the guy that posted everything of football value everywhere? Or was that Bouve? I used to come here and read those posts just so that I wouldn't have to look everywhere else. I loved those posts. At the time, he used to get ripped by a bunch of newbies so I just thought he gave up and left. Why did he get banned? What happened to those two guys?

Actually this site seems to be much better around spring and early summer. Later in the football season its ok as well.

i have been around for a long time (member #14). imho, the main reason this board has deteriorated is due to immature posts (cursing, insults, childish behavior). i love some of the quick witted replys and trash talk but some posts are just plain immature. this is not supposed to be some juvenile hang out. i would gladly volunteer to be a mod and delete all of the useless posts and occasionally ban peeps. a quality ff board requires quality members who make quality posts.

I bring it all... the cursing, the juvenile retorts, the quality information, attempts at meaningful analysis... and all of it is quality.

And I don't give a rat's ass about your member number. I've been here longer than you...

...sadly. :thumbsdown:

I bring it all... the cursing, the juvenile retorts, the quality information, attempts at meaningful analysis... and all of it is quality.

And I don't give a rat's ass about your member number. I've been here longer than you...

...sadly. :thumbsdown:

Mephisto=MikeFFToday? :wave:

<_<

Mephisto=MikeFFToday? :unsure:

:banana:

Mephisto. Pffft. I've owned him in every argument we have ever had.

wow, I'm glad to see that this thread did bring out some of the legends of the bored. i got a kick everytime somebody would post "free moose" in a thread that nobody had enough info on, but I have to agree with the idea that if people would look more, read more, research more, the wouldn't have to ask so many insanely stupid questions.

wow, I'm glad to see that this thread did bring out some of the legends of the bored. i got a kick everytime somebody would post "free moose" in a thread that nobody had enough info on, but I have to agree with the idea that if people would look more, read more, research more, the wouldn't have to ask so many insanely stupid questions.

Hey, jg, did you ever get to the bottom of that deal with the yahoo who tried to claim that he let his commish log in under his name to see the replies about him tying up all of those defenses????? :banana:

That whole deal just sounded kinda shady to me and I know you were pretty hot about it, particularly after he deleted the thread, which made it seem even more shady. :unsure:

Hey, jg, did you ever get to the bottom of that deal with the yahoo who tried to claim that he let his commish log in under his name to see the replies about him tying up all of those defenses????? :banana:

That whole deal just sounded kinda shady to me and I know you were pretty hot about it, particularly after he deleted the thread, which made it seem even more shady. :unsure:

Nah, that guy really turned and ran. Oddly, I know a guy who pulled something similar, but slightly more honestly. He dropped everybody he didn't need for his championship game and picked up something like 7 extra defenses because the guy he was playing had an aweful matchup. He ended up winning by like 3 pts or something and every defense he picked up would have scored 3-4 pts more at a minimum than the one the guy had to start. But that other dude on here was a lying doosch!

Nah, that guy really turned and ran. Oddly, I know a guy who pulled something similar, but slightly more honestly. He dropped everybody he didn't need for his championship game and picked up something like 7 extra defenses because the guy he was playing had an aweful matchup. He ended up winning by like 3 pts or something and every defense he picked up would have scored 3-4 pts more at a minimum than the one the guy had to start. But that other dude on here was a lying doosch!

See, stuff like that really aggravates me. If you're in the championship game, and you can't be the guy straight up, with the talent you got and making good start/sit decisions, then as far as I'm concerned, you don't deserve the trophy.

That's why I like the add/drop charge in my league, as in many others. I'm very, very active on the WW, which costs me some money throughout the year, but at least all of my moves are to fill bye holes or make my roster stronger. I just don't like petty bunk like that. I guess some could argue that the other guy should have planned farther ahead, and the winnah was just using the rules and situation to his advantage, but I just don't like it. Oh well, I'm sure we won't see that other schmuck around here anytime soon.

The HELP Board is a useless farce. Let's get that straight. I don't go there because I don't WANT to go to ANOTHER board... I already visit too many. I'd like to pick and choose a quality WSIS post right from the FF board... IT'S A FOCKING FF BOARD FOR FOCK'S SAKE!!!

Amen. People need to quit being Nazis around here about someone looking for some opinions. I do my own research and rely on a scarce amount of homer info here but that help board is trash.

IRT to the status of the old timers; maybe they're having horrible FF seasons. If you're 1-6 right now, I'm sure you're just going through the motions. It's been a topsy tervy FF season because of injuries.

he is now "my_2_cents"

He's a quality poster, despite being a Niner's fan

Probably the bes poster ever, Boston, was recently spotted in a thread concerning Boston College.

This dude was straight up and to the point, always with a rational, well thought out response to any topic.

Amen. People need to quit being Nazis around here about someone looking for some opinions. I do my own research and rely on a scarce amount of homer info here but that help board is trash.

IRT to the status of the old timers; maybe they're having horrible FF seasons. If you're 1-6 right now, I'm sure you're just going through the motions. It's been a topsy tervy FF season because of injuries.

I'm 2-5 and have been killed by injuries and gross underachievement from expected "high-outputters."

I never just "go through the motions." I don't care if I'm 1-9, I really want to bust the chops of my opponent and no amount of losing changes that. When I went 12-1 last year and rolled to a Championship, I was King of the Asskicking... at 2-5, you can bet I'm eating a d!ck most weeks as what goes around comes around... and my league loves the ability to deliver a combat-boot to my ribs.

:overhead:

Truth be told, most "old-timers" think this place blows. I interact with them fairly regularly.

:mad: Well said

Two bands that strived (and failed) to be as good as the Smiths?

you're delusional. DM, maybe--it's a taste thing. but by any measure other than subjective personal preference, the cure is a far more talented and more accomplished band than the smiths, going all the way back to 1976. that's 30+ years of new records and continuous touring, with a vast range of styles and moods that the smiths can't hope to match. all this from the imagination of 1 guy--robert smith.

don't get me wrong--i enjoy the smiths. but objectively, the cure is a better band.

not sure if i qualify as an old timer - but been here since like 97 or 98 (before you had to register). i pretty much pop in, read a few of the articles & posts and then on to the next site. too much flim flam & b.s. to read through any more. i do appreciate the select few that actually post updated news & spawn interesting convo's - but for the most part this site has become the "wild n' out" version of FF sites (just cracks about moms & lame attempts at comedy). maybe i should change my name to nick cannon? :cheers:

I was browsing the threads and bumbed into this one from a few days ago. I'm an old timer in spite of the fact that I re-registered a couple of years ago because I lost my initial passward.

The reasons FFToday lost the QUALITY are many, and well stated above. But to summarize:

A. Far too many site problems on game day.

B. Too much flaming, not enough content

C. Mods are non-existent or inactive, so there is no quality control of posts

D. The threads are helter-skelter.

1. Too many threads are opened on the same topic.

2. There is no moving of WDIS or other team management questions to the board where they belong.

3. Game day threads are not 'pinned' by game

4. There is not one central 'pinned' game day injury thread

These are just a few reasons us old-timers have left (actually most still lurk occasionally but don't waste thier time contributing to the usual insanity here). FFToday used to be the best of the boards. It has been far surpassed by boards like FootballGuys.com. where they actually have controlled, organized content.