Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

Vikes dock Williamson's pay for missing game for grandmother's funeral

What arseholes

The Minnesota Vikings have docked wide receiver Troy Williamson one game check for missing last Sunday's game against the San Diego Chargers to attend the Monday funeral of his maternal grandmother.

Based on his 2007 salary of $435,000, the action by the Vikings will cost the three-year veteran $25,588. Williamson has 45 days to appeal Minnesota's decision to withhold his pay, and NFL Players Association sources said he will do so.

Coach Brad Childress told Twin Cities-area media following Thursday's practice that the decision was on a "business principle" of the Vikings organization.

"He had a family obligation that he had to see to," Childress said. "We sat down and talked on it before he left. ... He had to do what he had to do. Everybody handles that differently. [Williamson] had to do what his family situation called for."

Childress cited the cases of two players, Minnesota defensive tackle Pat Williams and Indianapolis wide receiver Reggie Wayne, who appeared in games shortly after the deaths of family members.

Williamson's maternal grandmother, who helped to raise him and with whom he was very close, died last week and he returned to South Carolina, where he played a large role in arranging her funeral. He also had to make travel arrangements for several of his siblings, some of whom are in the armed services. He returned to the team on Wednesday as the Vikings began practicing for this Sunday's game against Green Bay.

The team apparently apprised Williamson on Wednesday that he would not receive a paycheck for the game that he missed.

"I don't care if they would have [taken] my pay for the rest of the year, I was going home," Williamson told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "It wouldn't have mattered to me."

The team's first-round choice in the 2005 draft and regarded as Minnesota's best deep threat despite continuing inconsistencies that have marked his career, Williams has nine receptions for 159 yards and one touchdown while starting in six of seven games.

Williamson's agent, David Canter, revealed last week that his client's older brother was injured in an automobile accident in September and that he has been hospitalized in Georgia, where he has been in and out of a coma. He said Williamson, who has been able to spend only a little time visiting his brother, has been battling through the ordeal of "a grieving and healing" process and that his family is his first priority.

"What we have is both of the situations and circumstances coming to a head," Canter said. "His brother is in the hospital, and who knows what his health status will be? And then his grandma passing. He needs to be with his family. The Vikings are his extended family, and hopefully he can come back and continue to work to be the most successful he can be."

Canter declined comment Thursday evening on the decision by Minnesota officials to withhold Williamson's paycheck for last week.

What arseholes

The Minnesota Vikings have docked wide receiver Troy Williamson one game check for missing last Sunday's game against the San Diego Chargers to attend the Monday funeral of his maternal grandmother.

Based on his 2007 salary of $435,000, the action by the Vikings will cost the three-year veteran $25,588. Williamson has 45 days to appeal Minnesota's decision to withhold his pay, and NFL Players Association sources said he will do so.

Coach Brad Childress told Twin Cities-area media following Thursday's practice that the decision was on a "business principle" of the Vikings organization.

"He had a family obligation that he had to see to," Childress said. "We sat down and talked on it before he left. ... He had to do what he had to do. Everybody handles that differently. [Williamson] had to do what his family situation called for."

Childress cited the cases of two players, Minnesota defensive tackle Pat Williams and Indianapolis wide receiver Reggie Wayne, who appeared in games shortly after the deaths of family members.

Williamson's maternal grandmother, who helped to raise him and with whom he was very close, died last week and he returned to South Carolina, where he played a large role in arranging her funeral. He also had to make travel arrangements for several of his siblings, some of whom are in the armed services. He returned to the team on Wednesday as the Vikings began practicing for this Sunday's game against Green Bay.

The team apparently apprised Williamson on Wednesday that he would not receive a paycheck for the game that he missed.

"I don't care if they would have [taken] my pay for the rest of the year, I was going home," Williamson told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "It wouldn't have mattered to me."

The team's first-round choice in the 2005 draft and regarded as Minnesota's best deep threat despite continuing inconsistencies that have marked his career, Williams has nine receptions for 159 yards and one touchdown while starting in six of seven games.

Williamson's agent, David Canter, revealed last week that his client's older brother was injured in an automobile accident in September and that he has been hospitalized in Georgia, where he has been in and out of a coma. He said Williamson, who has been able to spend only a little time visiting his brother, has been battling through the ordeal of "a grieving and healing" process and that his family is his first priority.

"What we have is both of the situations and circumstances coming to a head," Canter said. "His brother is in the hospital, and who knows what his health status will be? And then his grandma passing. He needs to be with his family. The Vikings are his extended family, and hopefully he can come back and continue to work to be the most successful he can be."

Canter declined comment Thursday evening on the decision by Minnesota officials to withhold Williamson's paycheck for last week.

I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere His Grandmother was an Atheist...so that would explain the fine.In fact his Grandmother was once overheard at a Viking game saying that Williamson got none of his athletisism from Jesus Christ but did get a good deal of it from her side of the family..........so you kinda gotta see the Vikings stance on this death issue <_<

I don't agree with it at all, but I very much doubt that Childress has anything to do with it.

Childress has nothing to gain or lose by paying or not paying Williamson. If it was based on "business principle" as Childress put it, then the coaching staff had absolutely no say in it.

It was a classless thing to do, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a coaching decision.

I suppose there is no nfl guidline or standard for this. Does each franchise handle these matters in their own way? Regardless, I'm sure Williamson's case is not the first "death incident" in the Vikes organization during the season. I would like to see if PLAYER A in 2003 received pay or not in a familiar situation.

I don't agree with it at all, but I very much doubt that Childress has anything to do with it.

Childress has nothing to gain or lose by paying or not paying Williamson. If it was based on "business principle" as Childress put it, then the coaching staff had absolutely no say in it.

It was a classless thing to do, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a coaching decision.

Was the funeral on Sunday? Very few are. I know when we have a death in the family we have the funeral when it is most convenient for the majority of the family to attend. I have worked in the morning and attended a funeral in the afternoon on one occasion. We do what we have to, getting paid is a very minor issue.

Pretty harsh. If I were Williamson, I would continue to suck just to get even.

It sounds harsh but they probably have to cover themselves because that can be a really grey area. What happens when the next guy has a second cousin die who was a great friend and he wants to miss the game? Should he get paid for game day?

I understand that woman meant alot to him, but the teams have to have some standards.

i can't figure out why anyone has a problem with this. he is paid per game--it's that simple. if they tried to fine him more than his game check, that would obviously be wrong. but as is, he made a choice not to be there, and why anyone would expect the team to pay him for work that he chose not to do is beyond me.

i'm curious--on what grounds should the team pay him for that game?

It sounds harsh but they probably have to cover themselves because that can be a really grey area. What happens when the next guy has a second cousin die who was a great friend and he wants to miss the game? Should he get paid for game day?

I understand that woman meant alot to him, but the teams have to have some standards.

That's a stupid answer. Corporations use 'immediate family members' as the template for such decisions. Grandparents are considered a member of the immediate family. The Vikings are just being dicks here plain and simple. Screw them.

Lol at guys worrying about somebody missing out on a 25K check. It was his decision. The Vikings and every other team pay a guy to suit up 16 times a year, not much to ask really. Ask the poor tradesman how much missing out on a $200 daily check to attend a funeral means to him.

i can't figure out why anyone has a problem with this. he is paid per game--it's that simple. if they tried to fine him more than his game check, that would obviously be wrong. but as is, he made a choice not to be there, and why anyone would expect the team to pay him for work that he chose not to do is beyond me.

Perhaps to let the rest of the team know that the Vikings support their players? Just a thought.

I bet they didn't let him be a pall bearer. Not with his hands.

God probably will strike me dead for laughing about a pall bearer joke, but as a result of being a former Williamson owner I spewed my coffee when I read this comment. Hopefully Keith Jackson wasn't there.

I bet they didn't let him be a pall bearer. Not with his hands.

Winner!

Would they have done this if it were Adrian Peterson? I doubt it.

That's a stupid answer. Corporations use 'immediate family members' as the template for such decisions. Grandparents are considered a member of the immediate family. The Vikings are just being dicks here plain and simple. Screw them.

Thats pretty much how I feel. Its not like it was his second cousin twice removed or something. This was his GRANDMOTHER. She was the one that took care of him. If this were AD do you think they would have done the same thing?

You know, the real injustice here is to any fantasy owner who missed out on the prime opportunity to start an inspired Williamson Sunday. Can you imagine how it would have sucked if Brett Favre would have sat out the game after Irv died? Fantasy championships could have been severely altered. The world may never know...... :ninja:

You act like he is working at some desk job 250 days a year. This guy works 16 days a year. You cannot compare him to corporate America.

Would they have done this if it were Adrian Peterson? I doubt it.

AD would have played, you can count on that! Most players do.

You act like he is working at some desk job 250 days a year. This guy works 16 days a year. You cannot compare him to corporate America.

Bullsh!t. You can't just say that because he only works 250 days a year that he can't take time off for a family funeral. Thats bullsh!t. And in turn you don't know how close AD is with his grandmother. If he was in the same situation where she was the one that raised him I am sure that he would have done the same thing. Just because some poeple choose to play through it does not mean that others can.

There are only 16 games a season. Thats the equivalent to a working stiff missing 2 weeks of work for a funeral. It also looks like he could have made it to the funeral on Monday even if he had played. They played the early game so he could have flown in the afternoon. i have no problem with the Vikings doing what they did. They talked to him before the game and it was his decision. I think the vast majority of NFL players would have played and flown to the funeral later.

When my father died (in Boston), one of my brothers was on a fishing boat in Alaska. We delayed the funeral a bit so that he could get back. I don't know why the Williamson family could not make simialr accomodations if Troy was so close to her.

Everyone has a different relationship with different relatives. It's very hard to compare. Maybe his grandmother and him had a very close relationship, while another player and his grandmother hardly ever speak.

If Williamson was so close to his grandmother that he couldn't live with himself if he missed her funeral, then I'm fine with that. If it broke a Viking rule and they fined him for it, I'm fine with that, too.

Bullsh!t. You can't just say that because he only works 250 days a year that he can't take time off for a family funeral. Thats bullsh!t. And in turn you don't know how close AD is with his grandmother. If he was in the same situation where she was the one that raised him I am sure that he would have done the same thing. Just because some poeple choose to play through it does not mean that others can.

The funeral was not on Sunday! I just don't understand the people who feel it is his right to be paid. He has a contract and he was paid in accordance with that contract.

You can't just say that because he only works 250 days a year that he can't take time off for a family funeral.
What are you talking about? Did they cut or fine him? No. They gave him the time off, WITHOUT PAY, same as 90% of non-government jobs would do.

The NFL players are in a union. If it was that important, it should have been covered in the union contract. Take it up next time there is collective bargaining.

That's a fairly ignorant answer. The majority of businesses - big and small - allowed for paid time off in the event of the death of a family member. It's a common business practice. It's a moral thing to do. It's shiity not to. Hope this kid blows up and remembers this when his contract expires. What goes around comes around. :thumbsdown:

That's a fairly ignorant answer. The majority of businesses - big and small - allowed for paid time off in the event of the death of a family member. It's a common business practice. It's a moral thing to do. It's shiity not to. Hope this kid blows up and remembers this when his contract expires. What goes around comes around. :thumbsdown:

Yep. Steven A. Smith actually made a good point (shocking, I know) on First Take this morning. If it's going be about business, it'll be all about business when the contract comes due, and don't feed us any of this crap about us all being like a family.

Where I work, there are specific rules about how much time you're allowed off based on your relationship. Grandparents get 1 day, a spouse or child gets more. But when it actually happens, you get as much time off as you need, and you don't get docked pay. Because they care about you as an individual and not just as a resource. Nobody's taken unfair advantage of it either.

The team has every right to do what they think is appropriate, but they'd better be ready to deal with the backlash.

I don't have any problem with it if they told Troy Williamson they would because it's the standard procedure for everyone on the team.

I do have a huge huge huge problem with the coach talking to the media about it. NO CLASS! He should have said no comment. It paints Troy Williamson in a bad light as if he had a choice to play or be by his family's side. He made his choice he sacrificed his cash, but it's wrong to talk about something so personal to the press.

I hate to say this but Coach B would give this a big "no comment".

That's a fairly ignorant answer. The majority of businesses - big and small - allowed for paid time off in the event of the death of a family member. It's a common business practice.

perhaps this is true, but the scale is somewhat different, no? in this case, the company would be paying for 1/16th of the entire work year, or the equivalent of an extra 3 weeks paid vacation for a normal employee. and how many companies can you name that would offer that?

when my grandfather died, i got 2 days unpaid leave to attend his funeral.

add to that the fact that the service did not conflict with the game--he was essentially taking extra personal time--and the whole thing becomes absurd.

look--football players are contract laborers. they are paid for game-day work. had he taken practice time off, then returned and played on sunday, it is incredibly unlikely that the front office would have withheld payment. but he made a choice to skip the game, and so he certainly can't complain about the financial repercussions of that choice.

Following the tradition of the Minnesota Vikings, the wake was held on a party yacht with strippers, martini bar, and a spirited midget-tossing competition.

The companies I've worked for had bereavement policies for immediate family. Mom, Dad, Bro, Sis. If Grandmom or Grandpop died, I'd have to burn a vacation day or take an unpaid day off.

I don't see why the outrage.

perhaps this is true, but the scale is somewhat different, no? in this case, the company would be paying for 1/16th of the entire work year, or the equivalent of an extra 3 weeks paid vacation for a normal employee. and how many companies can you name that would offer that?

when my grandfather died, i got 2 days unpaid leave to attend his funeral.

add to that the fact that the service did not conflict with the game--he was essentially taking extra personal time--and the whole thing becomes absurd.

look--football players are contract laborers. they are paid for game-day work. had he taken practice time off, then returned and played on sunday, it is incredibly unlikely that the front office would have withheld payment. but he made a choice to skip the game, and so he certainly can't complain about the financial repercussions of that choice.

I don't think he is complaining, it is all the idiots here.

My company gave me time off without pay for my grandparent’s funerals. I was appreciative for the time off, the money didn't matter.

I don't think he is complaining, it is all the idiots here.

My company gave me time off without pay for my grandparent’s funerals. I was appreciative for the time off, the money didn't matter.

He's not. I was only half-listening, but I thought I heard a story on sports radio where he said "none of that matters to me, I had some arrangements to make and I made the decision to do them."

He went home before the funeral to assist in arranging travel, flights, lodging for family members in the armed services.

I'm sure more than one person in the Vikings lockerroom has that kinda scratch in their pants pocket. If money was an issue - they could step up and show how "family" they are.

agreed--i think this is the heart of the matter.

Exactly. She's the woman who raised him. Additionally, he was the responsible one who made all the arrangements and handled the logistics for his family.

Vikings get the turd of the year award. :doublethumbsup:

He is salaried. Should get paid if he has to attend the funeral on the day of a game.

I would have done the same.

In fact, my grandmother recently passed away. I took 2 days off for the funeral and 2 more days to attend the burial out of state. No dock in pay, no vacation days. My boss says "Do what you have to do". I work with some good people who covered for me while I was away. I would do the same for them.

Holy crap this is the NFL! They have enough friggin' money and shouldn't penalize the man for attending his grandmother's funeral.

Pay the man!! Plain and simple. He came back to work and carried on his job. PAY THE MAN!!

This is the most foctarded idiotic answer I have ever heard.

Takes a lot more work to put in those 16 days... And I'm sure the man has continued to workout in between.

So its not just getting paid for the game... Its also getting paid to prepare for the game.

What a fukin poptart!

AD would not have played and would have been paid.