Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

Will D. Anderson be the Brown's QB next year?

He could be a cheap keeper for me ($1 dollar cap hit). Believe he is a restricted free agent. Any teams willing to give the picks to get him?

B. Quinn = Aaron Rodgers.

Whatz interesting is that Anderson is a free agent after this season (I think). I'm curious as to how it all plays out too.

The Bruins are stupid if they don't make a serious effort to re-sign him. This is just like San Diego's situation a couple years ago when they had to decide between Brees and Rivers...Why would a team choose "potential" over a proven commodity? If SD had Brees instead of Rivers right now they could be a super bowl contender...I'm not saying the Browns are going to win a super bowl with Anderson but he's proven he can be a very good NFL QB...

If Anderson finishes the year as a pro-bowl QB... I dont see why the browns would not extend his contract. He's already built a great chemistry with his two top recieving options with Edwards and Winslow resulting in Edwards being 4th in recieving yds and 3rd with recieving TD's. Also making Winslow the leading TE in recieving yds with 657yds. You can throw in the argument that Quinn is the future for this team, but I see the future for this offense NOW with Anderson.

Quinn signed a 5-year deal for $20 million, with $7.75 million guaranteed. Not the biggest contract around, but nothing to sniff at. If Anderson continues his current level of play in the second half, some other team is going to offer him a lot more than the Browns can likely afford to pay. There are a number of teams out there (Dolphins, Vikings, Bears, Ravens, etc.) that would love to have a productive QB and would pay big money for Anderson if they think he's the real deal. I don't expect him to be with the Browns next year, but he should be starting for somebody.

(Dolphins, Vikings, Bears, Ravens, etc.) that would love to have a productive QB and would pay big money for Anderson if they think he's the real deal. I don't expect him to be with the Browns next year, but he should be starting for somebody.

That would be something if the Ravens got him...seeing as at one point he was theirs.

Anderson is a restricted free agent after this season. So, draft picks would probably be in order to pry him away from Cleveland. I see no reason they let Anderson go next year if he keeps on wining... think Drew Brees a couple years ago. Once it's unrestricted free agent time, I think Anderson gets paid and the Browns see what they have in Brady Quinn.

Man, and to think I let him sit out there as a free agent week after week. I figured the brutal AFC North defenses would kill him.

This post sounds familiar.

Oh yeah;

See: "Will Drew Brees be the Chargers QB next year, or sill Rivers take over" (a few years old, but i think the same topic)

Quinn signed a 5-year deal for $20 million, with $7.75 million guaranteed. Not the biggest contract around, but nothing to sniff at. If Anderson continues his current level of play in the second half, some other team is going to offer him a lot more than the Browns can likely afford to pay. There are a number of teams out there (Dolphins, Vikings, Bears, Ravens, etc.) that would love to have a productive QB and would pay big money for Anderson if they think he's the real deal. I don't expect him to be with the Browns next year, but he should be starting for somebody.

I believe Anderson is a RFA though, so its not a matter of some team outbidding the Browns for his services. They can either tender him at the highest level (making the team tha signs him having to surrender a 1 and 3 pick) or at a lower level where the picks become lesser.

I'd have to think they will offer him the highest level (which isn't anything outrageous) and let him have another year at the helm before deciding what to do about Quinn.

There is no way he stays a brown. At the end of the season when he is in the pro bowl and has thrown for 30 tds some team is going to give up the required draft picks to get him. The vikes, the ravens,KC,The dolphins,The skins,ATL, The jags. Every one of these teams needs a starting qb that can actually help the team as opposed to just manage the clock or worse.

There is no way he stays a brown. At the end of the season when he is in the pro bowl and has thrown for 30 tds some team is going to give up the required draft picks to get him. The vikes, the ravens,KC,The dolphins,The skins,ATL, The jags. Every one of these teams needs a starting qb that can actually help the team as opposed to just manage the clock or worse.

I think you are discounting how much teams value draft picks. I don't see a team giving up a 1st and 3rd for Anderson.

I think you are discounting how much teams value draft picks. I don't see a team giving up a 1st and 3rd for Anderson.

True. However I think you are discounting how much teams value a QB that can put up 30+ tds in a year and who could be your starting qb for years to come.

If Anderson finishes the year as a pro-bowl QB... I dont see why the browns would not extend his contract. He's already built a great chemistry with his two top recieving options with Edwards and Winslow resulting in Edwards being 4th in recieving yds and 3rd with recieving TD's. Also making Winslow the leading TE in recieving yds with 657yds. You can throw in the argument that Quinn is the future for this team, but I see the future for this offense NOW with Anderson.

Ok, let's be clear here...he won't be a ProBowl QB. He would have to beat out Brady (ain't gonna happen), Manning (ain't gonna happen), Carson Palmer (probaby ain't gonna happen) and Ben Roethlisberger (probably ain't gonna happen). There's also no guarantee that he even keeps the starting gig if Cleveland suddenly goes in the toilet and gets out of the playoff race. I believe he's done enough to keep the job, and I would certainly hope that Cleveland recognizes the "Brees II" situation. IMO it's obvious that San Diego made the wrong choice with Brees, and with the rapport that Anderson has with his WR in Cleveland, it might be better to keep him.

Not to mention that I see one team for sure that would need his services. The Phins have not had a real starting qb since marino left. They crave consistency at the QB spot and will be willing to pay for it.

Not to mention that I see one team for sure that would need his services. The Phins have not had a real starting qb since marino left. They crave consistency at the QB spot and will be willing to pay for it.

Yeah, but I tend to agree with the statement earlier, I just can't see anybody paying a 1st/3rd round price for Derek Anderson.

Phil Savage has proven to be a saavy GM thus far. I doubt he would let DA get away if his current success continues. If the Browns continue to improve offensively, DA will get paid and Quinn will sit for a while longer.

Ok, let's be clear here...he won't be a ProBowl QB. He would have to beat out Brady (ain't gonna happen), Manning (ain't gonna happen), Carson Palmer (probaby ain't gonna happen) and Ben Roethlisberger (probably ain't gonna happen). There's also no guarantee that he even keeps the starting gig if Cleveland suddenly goes in the toilet and gets out of the playoff race. I believe he's done enough to keep the job, and I would certainly hope that Cleveland recognizes the "Brees II" situation. IMO it's obvious that San Diego made the wrong choice with Brees, and with the rapport that Anderson has with his WR in Cleveland, it might be better to keep him.

Actually if the season ended right now I'd say he definitely makes the Pro Bowl...It would probably be Brady, Manning and Anderson from the AFC. He's had a better year than Palmer so far and you could make a case for either him or Roethlisberger...But considering its pretty common for guys to pull out with injuries *cough cough*, I'd say its a pretty good bet that DA will be in Honolulu for the Pro Bowl in February...

Cleveland should trade Quinn to the dolphins for their #1 pick :wave:

Phil Savage has proven to be a saavy GM thus far. I doubt he would let DA get away if his current success continues. If the Browns continue to improve offensively, DA will get paid and Quinn will sit for a while longer.

True but if he could work out a deal with the phins for their #1 overall pick and then get mcfadden to replace Lewis who is on a 1 year contract that would be a savvy move.

The fans in Cleveland are getting a season like they haven't seen in many, many years. Whatever the team is doing to get to 5-3, they need to keep doing it. The fans deserve to see them stay with what is working.

I think if Cleveland finishes .500 or better, they have to retain Anderson as the starting QB for next year. Short of that, it's a toss up as to whether or not they do.

The Browns, who would be foolish to part ways with QB Derek Anderson given every NFL team's need to keep two quarterbacks, could almost guarantee Anderson would stay by giving him the highest tender. That would be worth $2.562 million and assure the Browns a first- and third-round draft pick for any team that signs the restricted free-agent. If the Browns put the next-highest tender on Anderson ($2.017 million) it would guarantee them a first-round pick. A new tender ($1.417 million) would bring a second-round pick and the minimum would cost Anderson's next team a sixth-round choice. An aging, underachieving team such as the Bears face so many off-season needs that they might not be able to afford giving up such a high pick for a quarterback who could be a one-year wonder. -- Chicago Tribune

The Dolphins could have had brady Quinn with the 9th pick in the draft and passed. They won't trade for him. They waited and took Jon beck. I hope he is the future for the Fins. We may find out soon.

It's an interesting situation indeed, and the rest of the season should help decide what happens. I just hope they don't get into another stupid coin-flipping-before-the-game exercise.

If DA continues to play like he has, there is not much sense in Cleveland trading him. Brady will sit another year if he has too, it's a VERY good problem to have. By the way, the fans are no longer chanting 'Brady! Brady!' anymore...

The only scenario I see is if Cleveland wants to start addressing their defence and perhaps trades one of them for some tackles and perhaps a draft pick or two as mentioned. There are plenty of teams in need of a QB this year (Minnesota, Chicago, etc...) that may have some muscle to offer.

They spent an earely second round pick on John Beck this year. I'm pretty sure that they will be giving him a chance before signing anyone else.

True but if he could work out a deal with the phins for their #1 overall pick and then get mcfadden to replace Lewis who is on a 1 year contract that would be a savvy move.

You're thinking too much with your "fantsy football brain" and not your "NFL brain". No team is going to trade the #1 overall pick for Derek Anderson. (Well maybe the Redskins :thumbsdown: ).

Like I said the Dolphins just drafted Beck (with an early second) and they've been ridiculed for trading picks in the past (that weren't even first rounders to get a QB: Jim Drukenmiller, AJ Feely, Daunte Culpepper and Trent Green among others. They are not trading the #1 for Derek Anderson.

One important factor being left out.

Im far from sold on Quinn being a good NFL qb.

And im a ND fan

I dont think Quinn has the same expectations Rivers did coming into the NFL

B. Quinn = Aaron Rodgers.

Whatz interesting is that Anderson is a free agent after this season (I think). I'm curious as to how it all plays out too.

not a chance, anderson will have to win 2 playoff games to stay in cleveland Anderson does not equal brett favre

I dont think Quinn has the same expectations Rivers did coming into the NFL

Interesting. I think the expectations for Quinn are higher than were expectations for Rivers. Some analysts were suggesting that a few teams might try to trade up to the top five picks to take Quinn, and others thought he might even go at #1 to Oakland. But maybe you're talking about expectations among NFL coaches, as opposed to draft analysts? In that case, you may be right.

Interesting. I think the expectations for Quinn are higher than were expectations for Rivers. Some analysts were suggesting that a few teams might try to trade up to the top five picks to take Quinn, and others thought he might even go at #1 to Oakland. But maybe you're talking about expectations among NFL coaches, as opposed to draft analysts? In that case, you may be right.

I think they my have been about the same. Rivers came out and people were all about him. He was a good QB. Quinn was in the same boat. He came out with a lot of buzz around him. Quinn may be in the same boat as rivers too. Which may not actually be bad. Most teams want to bring their rookie QB along unless they HAVE to throw him in. The browns have at least this season and maybe more to bring quinn along. I still think they are going to deal Anderson to someone for high picks.

I think they my have been about the same. Rivers came out and people were all about him. He was a good QB. Quinn was in the same boat. He came out with a lot of buzz around him. Quinn may be in the same boat as rivers too. Which may not actually be bad. Most teams want to bring their rookie QB along unless they HAVE to throw him in. The browns have at least this season and maybe more to bring quinn along. I still think they are going to deal Anderson to someone for high picks.

Maybe my perceptions are off because Eli was the wonder boy that year, far overshadowing Rivers. Russell didn't have the family name or college tradition to overshadow Quinn.

watched Anderson at Oregon State. always thought he had NFL potential, never thought he would actually do much in the NFL. i've been waiting for him to falter. he keeps performing every week. i think he may have turned the corner as one of the better QB's in the NFL, thing is the dude has the size, arm strength as a great pocket passer. so as long as he gets protection he should be good. like to see the kid from a small town in Oregon do good things!

Desperate Need at QB

Atlanta

Baltimore

Chicago

Miami

Jacksonville

Kansas City

Minnesota

If he ends up in Minnesota with that line and Peterson protecting him, he'll be no joke. I can see Jacksonville maybe trying to sign him to an offer sheet since they will have a late first rounder anyway.

Not a chance!! Anderson does not = favre

hes playin good... great!!! higher trade value...quinn is there man no doubt

anderson is a serviceable qb but defiantly does not have the ceiling of a one B dot Q

the only way anderson is starting for the browns next year is if he wins 2 playoff games... and maybe not even then

quinn edwards winslow > anderson edwards winslow..... for the future of a franchise :headbanger:

P.S. Quinn has a higher ceiling because of his intelligence/physical abilities + his incredible will to become better

P.S.S. how good is AD!!!!!!!

Interesting that on a board of fantasy football nuts that most of you seem to have no clue about how NFL personell rules work. The Browns will offer Anderson the high tender which will keep him in Cleveland unless someone is willing to lay down and 1 and a 3. Still Browns can match all offers. So they keep him and start him for the high tender next year, and if he produces next year as he did this year they franchise him and work out a long term deal along the lines of the Bulger/Romo deal. All of this is easily workable under the cap as Quinn is making 22nd pick money instead of top 5 money. Had Cleveland taken him at 3 as some were clamoring for them to do this option would not work as they would have ended us sinking around 25-27 million guaranteed into him. There is next to no chance that Cleveland doesn't keep Anderson next year. Cleveland has a very healthy cap situation and the Rivers/Brees scenario has proven to teams where the value lays in Qbs.

Okay, let's be clear here . . . there's a human phenomenon called age.

Tom Brady: 30 years old

Peyton Manning: 31 years old

Carson Palmer: 27 years old

Ben Roethlisberger: 25 years old

Derek Anderson: 24 years old

Not a chance!! Anderson does not = favre

hes playin good... great!!! higher trade value...quinn is there man no doubt

anderson is a serviceable qb but defiantly does not have the ceiling of a one B dot Q

the only way anderson is starting for the browns next year is if he wins 2 playoff games... and maybe not even then

quinn edwards winslow > anderson edwards winslow..... for the future of a franchise :D

P.S. Quinn has a higher ceiling because of his intelligence/physical abilities + his incredible will to become better

P.S.S. how good is AD!!!!!!!

notre dame fan perhaps? :first:

My opinion is Anderson will be starting somewhere . He has shown over the course of the season he can be a seriously good QB. Now I would think the Browns hope he keeps it up, offers him a good contract and hope someone else signs him and they can get the draft picks. Your paying Quinn alot of money ( not outrageous , but alot for a guy to sit on the bench) and thoise draft picks can turn out to be some very nice players. And if no one signs Anderson , well you got him for another year and if he plays this way again then hes your QB and you do something with Quinn. This has shades of Kurt Warner and Trent Green in St Louis. While I perosnally think Anderson is a very good QB , I think behind that great offensive line Quinn would be very good too. Alot of ANdersons success has to do with Talent AND that offensive line giving him all day to throw and the talent of B Edwards and Winslow.

The offensive line can make a ok QB great. Look at Bulger in ST Louis, he is a good QB looking bad with that horrible offensive line ( and his injuries). And I am not saying Anderson is a OK QB. I think he is pretty darn good.

My opinion is Anderson will be starting somewhere . He has shown over the course of the season he can be a seriously good QB. Now I would think the Browns hope he keeps it up, offers him a good contract and hope someone else signs him and they can get the draft picks. Your paying Quinn alot of money ( not outrageous , but alot for a guy to sit on the bench) and thoise draft picks can turn out to be some very nice players. And if no one signs Anderson , well you got him for another year and if he plays this way again then hes your QB and you do something with Quinn. This has shades of Kurt Warner and Trent Green in St Louis. While I perosnally think Anderson is a very good QB , I think behind that great offensive line Quinn would be very good too. Alot of ANdersons success has to do with Talent AND that offensive line giving him all day to throw and the talent of B Edwards and Winslow.

The offensive line can make a ok QB great. Look at Bulger in ST Louis, he is a good QB looking bad with that horrible offensive line ( and his injuries). And I am not saying Anderson is a OK QB. I think he is pretty darn good.

Because the upside of Quinn is so much more than the 4200 yards and 35 touchdowns Anderson is on pace to throw right? And Cleveland has been so successful that they would trade away the QB who led them to the first winning season in 8 years or so right? Anderson will start in Cleveland next year. Period. If you think differently you are wrong.

I agree that Anderson will remain in Cleveland and will remain the starter. The Browns would be foolish to let him go. They should try to trade Quinn for picks.