Sign in to follow this  
CantTouchThis

Hancock review

:dunno: Went to the movies to see Wanted, but looked up and saw Hancock at 10:30, 11, 11:30, and 12. I am like," WTF is that for today?" Yessir it was, and it was PACKED. Appearently there was a midnight showing, but because demand was so high, they had 3 other showings tonight.

Definitely a good movie, will probably be the best movie of the summer. It is freakin hilarious, i haven't laughed that hard in the theaters really ever. It is relatively short( hour and a halfish), and doesn't have as much action as i expected, but a lot more humor.

The storyline and plot aren't the best and there are holes, so, if you are one of those people who likes to have a flawless, creative, inventive plot, you probably won't think this movie is great, but, you will probably still enjoy it. I thought they could've made it longer and added more action scenes, but, it is still very good.

Iron man is better though. My buddy disagreed, he thought this was one of the best movies he had ever seen. I wasn't quite so high on it, but, it was definitely worth seeing. Will Smith does a great job for sure, like usual, he is definitely becoming one of my favorite actors.

I'll give it an 8/10 :dunno: Not an all-time great movie, but, still a solid movie that is entertaining and worth seeing at the movies for sure.

Semi-spoiler

There is no true villain in this movie, i thought that is what prevented this from being an all-time great. It made the "climax" at the end a little dry and stale. It ended well, also, DON'T LEAVE right after it's over, there is another scene like 30 seconds into the credits which is funny. However, the "villain" is just dry and weak and really isn't a true villain. It made the last like 20 minutes kind of iffy, where the movie went from it's comedic tone to a more dramatic tone trying to build up to the last scene. That is why Iron man was better, a true villain, and iron man did a great job at developing the character of the villain. This movie did not.

Thanks bro. Gonna check this out sometime this weekend more than likely. Glad to hear it didn't suck. Will Smith has been great the last few years.

Went to the movies to see Wanted

I watched the first half of Wanted online at work, and it sucked so bad, I'm not going to finish watching it. :dunno:

Thanks bro. Gonna check this out sometime this weekend more than likely. Glad to hear it didn't suck. Will Smith has been great the last few years.

I have been reading some use reviews at imdb, it actually so far only has a 6.5 :dunno: . People were saying what i said about the last like 20 minutes, how it switched tones and got a bit stale. I thought it ended up working out fine, but, the first hour was amazing, hilarious and a couple of great action scenes. I would give the first hour a 9/10, the last 20-30 minutes a 7/10. I really hope there is a Hancock 2, i think they can make a good franchise out of this.

I read a review for it a few days ago, I guess critics are slamming it. Just saying the movie can never really decide if it wants to be funny or serious. The jokes are lame, some stupid sh!t about a guy getting his head stuck in another guys ass or something. But that was for a screening a while ago, so maybe it's changed. I just heard the plot line is bad, major holes...almost like they didn't even try with the plot.

I like Will Smith alot, so hopefully this is ok. I won't watch it in the theatres though...just sounds kind dumb.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a Will Smith movie that I liked. A few of them I really, really hated, like Independence Day. Will Smith movies tend to suck when he tries to be funny. He just isn't a funny person.

Anything with ###### in it has my interest.

Based on the other movies you've liked, I'm avoiding this movie like the plague.

Where the hell are the peenie movie reviews?

I don't like black people. :music_guitarred:

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a Will Smith movie that I liked. A few of them I really, really hated, like Independence Day. Will Smith movies tend to suck when he tries to be funny. He just isn't a funny person.

:doh:

You hated Independence Day? For 1996 it had the cutting edge in special effects and if ya got around the horrible acting it was decent I thought :music_guitarred:

F the critics. I watched the extended trailer for this and I thought it looked great. I understand the critical aspects of it, but for fock fock fockity focks sake, it's a summer time popcorn movie. It's not looking for a GD Oscar. Hell, 99% of the movies that get Oscars these days aren't watched by 99% of the people who see movies. (Perhaps there's something wrong with the system??) Will Smith's movies have probably made more than all the focking Oscar films combined.

Looks great. Superman was always such a prissy little dudley do-right. I think the concept of a drunken homeless man with superman's powers is brilliant. :dunno:

Great line from the trailer:

Woman: "I can smell the liquor on your breath!" :angry:

Hancock: "That's 'cause I been drinkin!" :wacko:

The storyline and plot aren't the best and there are holes, so, if you are one of those people who likes to have a flawless, creative, inventive plot, you probably won't think this movie is great, but, you will probably still enjoy it. I thought they could've made it longer and added more action scenes, but, it is still very good.

Iron man is better though.

i saw the commercials for it and i was going to pass on it. based on your review i'll go see it with the knowledge that i'll probably find fault with it for the bolded reasons.

i really enjoyed iron man.

Will Smith is now a full-fledged Scientologist Alien loving nut job. I will refuse to watch any and all of his movies just as I do with Tom "Crazy Man" Cruise. I have to take a stand! :angry:

It's too bad, I always thought that Will was a stand up guy :dunno:

i thought smith said he wasn't a scientologist?

Will Smith may have studied Scientology with pal Tom Cruise, but he says his faith rests in his own spirituality.

"I don't necessarily believe in organized religion," Smith, 39, said when asked about Scientology Friday at a junket for his upcoming film I Am Legend.

"I love my God, my higher power, but it is mine and mine alone, and I create my connection, and I decide how my connection is going to be," he added.

Describing himself as a "student of world religions," Smith — who was raised a Baptist — said: "I believe that my connection to my higher power is separate from everybody's.

"I don’t believe that the Muslims have all the answers and all the beliefs. I don’t believe the Christians have all the answers and beliefs, or that the Jews have all the answers."

Definitely a good movie, will probably be the best movie of the summer.

Yeah, because The Dark Knight is going to be terrible. :shocking: :thumbsup:

Ind. Day was a GREAT flick.

for 1996 it had great effects.

Did anyone see Will Smith on 60 minutes this week?

The man is a genius.

He did his homework and it paid off

Ind. Day and MIB. :mad:

i thought smith said he wasn't a scientologist?

He's trying to distance himself from it now. He funds a private school that has Scientolgy teachings incorporated into it and had recently made large donations to the church as well as beeing seen w/ many higher ups in the church.

Your quote was from 6-8 months ago

http://www.usmagazine.com/node/13674

Looks like he's changed his view

https://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/01/...cientology.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/19/usa.filmnews

http://www.celebitchy.com/7648/will_smith_...tical_to_bible/

:wall:

You hated Independence Day? For 1996 it had the cutting edge in special effects and if ya got around the horrible acting it was decent I thought :overhead:

Terrible acting. Terrible ending. No sympathetic characters. I was rooting for the aliens to win, mostly so they could kill Will Smith. Every time he opened his mouth, it was yet another cliche or attempt to be funny that gave me douche chills. I swear, Will Smith is the probably greatest villain in movie history for his character in Independence Day, and how he defeated the good guy space aliens.

Special effects are not a litmus test for whether a movie was good or not. Otherwise, The Incredibles is the greatest movie ever.

Terrible acting. Terrible ending. No sympathetic characters. I was rooting for the aliens to win, mostly so they could kill Will Smith. Every time he opened his mouth, it was yet another cliche or attempt to be funny that gave me douche chills. I swear, Will Smith is the probably greatest villain in movie history for his character in Independence Day, and how he defeated the good guy space aliens.

Special effects are not a litmus test for whether a movie was good or not. Otherwise, The Incredibles is the greatest movie ever.

President guy was cool. Randy Quaid flying into the mothership was cool.

That movie got substantially better when Henry Firestein finally got killed. What an annoying fockstick that guy is. NO idea who that gay heeb blew in order to get a part in the movie.

Them flying into the mothership and downloading a virus? Yeah, right. :overhead:

President guy was cool. Randy Quaid flying into the mothership was cool.

That movie got substantially better when Henry Firestein finally got killed. What an annoying fockstick that guy is. NO idea who that gay heeb blew in order to get a part in the movie.

Them flying into the mothership and downloading a virus? Yeah, right. :first:

I thought it was a fun movie until the whole flying up to the ship too.

Saw it last night.

It was pretty ok. Certainly not spectacular, but entertaining.

I might've been more enthusiastic about it if I hadn't ended up sitting behind a 9 member African-American family. (including 2 toddlers and and infant that had no business being in a movie theater).

On one hand, I feel sorta bad for the parents because I'm sure they're starved for some adult entertainment, and probably couldn't get anyone to watch the kids.

On the other hand, I feel like they should be banned from the theater for life due to their utter lack of manners and complete disregard for anything remotely resembling social grace.

Saw it last night.

It was pretty ok. Certainly not spectacular, but entertaining.

I might've been more enthusiastic about it if I hadn't ended up sitting behind a 9 member African-American family. (including 2 toddlers and and infant that had no business being in a movie theater).

On one hand, I feel sorta bad for the parents because I'm sure they're starved for some adult entertainment, and probably couldn't get anyone to watch the kids.

On the other hand, I feel like they should be banned from the theater for life due to their utter lack of manners and complete disregard for anything remotely resembling social grace.

I'm all for equality and everything, but I really think we might be better served as a society by segregating movie theatres. :first:

F the critics. I watched the extended trailer for this and I thought it looked great. I understand the critical aspects of it, but for fock fock fockity focks sake, it's a summer time popcorn movie. It's not looking for a GD Oscar. Hell, 99% of the movies that get Oscars these days aren't watched by 99% of the people who see movies. (Perhaps there's something wrong with the system??) Will Smith's movies have probably made more than all the focking Oscar films combined.

The Oscars reward quality movies.

People go to see entertaining movies.

The two often are not the same.

1. It looks horrible.

2. It looks like they gave away the whole movie in the previews.

3. Nerd alert: I hate that they ignore physics - he throws a whale and doesn't move backwards? He throws a kid way up in the air and the acceleration doesn't kill him?

Haven't seen it, so maybe it rules. I have NO interest in seeing it though.

For the most part I agree with everything you have to say about Independence Day...I assume you are not including the moments when Vivica Fox was onscreen but not talking...cause I enjoyed those parts a lot.

Also you sure as heck better not be bagging on The Incredibles.

I don't think i have ever seen a Will Smith movie i didn't like :thumbsup:

But, the reviews were kind of right about the tone, how it kept switching from comedic to dramic. The comedic tone was MUCH better, imo. I think this was just meant to be a funny anti-superhero movie, it was hilarious. When it went away from it, it was kind of shaky. Pretty much all the negative reviews i read are saying that. It was great as a comedy, but failed as a drama. I generally agree, but, i still thought it was a very good, entertaining flick. Not on the same level as Iron man, but, still worth seeing. I gave it an 8/10, maybe more like a 7.75/10. Like in the B range, Iron man was a solid A.

BTW, i thought Independence Day was one of the best movies ever :huh: Bad acting? Some people, not the main characters, imo. Will Smith, Bill Pullman, Jeff Goldblum all did a great job, i thought Pullman played perhaps the best president in a movie ever. It's one of those movies that a lot of people don't like, and i am like WTF, how can you NOT like that movie?

BTW, i thought Independence Day was one of the best movies ever

OK, I get it, this is all a joke. Anyone dumb enough to believe this wouldn't be able to express their thoughts in sentences.

OK, I get it, this is all a joke. Anyone dumb enough to believe this wouldn't be able to express their thoughts in sentences.

Honestly :doh: Again, i don't get all the hate for the move. By all time great, i don't mean like the BEST ever, top 20 though at least on my list. I just thought it was a really entertaining movie, i mean it wasn't exactly all believible, but, i like that because most things that are believible are not entertaining...

Honestly :doh: Again, i don't get all the hate for the move. By all time great, i don't mean like the BEST ever, top 20 though at least on my list. I just thought it was a really entertaining movie, i mean it wasn't exactly all believible, but, i like that because most things that are believible are not entertaining...

I don't think it sucks, but it is an average, mindless action movie. I don't see how anyone could think it was top 20.

I don't think it sucks, but it is an average, mindless action movie. I don't see how anyone could think it was top 20.

If you were to account for everything, like acting, plot, storyline, and so on, no. Top 20 on pure entertainment value though, for sure imo.

If you were to account for everything, like acting, plot, storyline, and so on, no. Top 20 on pure entertainment value though, for sure imo.

I have seen it 3 or 4 times all the way through, a few more times seen most of it.

Maybe your point is you like it like I like, say, Slash or Keystone. A personal favorite, but I am not surprised when others disagree.

3. Nerd alert: I hate that they ignore physics - he throws a whale and doesn't move backwards? He throws a kid way up in the air and the acceleration doesn't kill him?

Yet, you have no problem with a guy having super human stength, the ability to fly and able to deflect bullets. I guess I missed that chapter in my physics book.

I saw it yesterday. It is just an OK movie. It could have been so much better. I did like the beginning a lot and thought it had a ton of potential. Then it got kind of "meh" half way through and finished a little soft. Maybe a 5 or 6 out of 10.

Will Smiff or not, I can already tell this isn't even worthy of a rental.

I rented I am legend, and I was very disappointed. He's just doing movies that have zero appeal right now

I am a huge Will Smiff fan too. I will watch Indy Day, MIB and a lot of his other flicks everytime they are on cable and The Fresh Prince of Bel Air is one of my favorites.

I saw it yesterday. It is just an OK movie. It could have been so much better. I did like the beginning a lot and thought it had a ton of potential. Then it got kind of "meh" half way through and finished a little soft. Maybe a 5 or 6 out of 10.

Sounds like a homemade clip $epphori$ would post.

Woah!!! Such strong feelings for Independence Day??? HA HA HA

Guys, that and Hancock are not supposed to be dramatic milestones, they are intended to be entertaining movies that require little thought and are a good 1.5 to 2 hours of simple "forget the world" movies.

Just sit back, relax, enjoy the movie, enjoy summer, enjoy the popcorn.

There are PLENTY of serious, dramatic, attention demanding flicks out there....These two films are not one of them, but they can still be fun.

Sheesh..Stop trying to make a herring into a g0ddamn lobster will ya?