Sign in to follow this  
throttlers

No love for Selvin Young?

For years, the Denver starting RB was gold. The last few years it's been hard to peg down who would end up starting. For the 1st time in a few years, Denver seems to have a legit #1 in Young. I don't buy Shanny saying he sees Young as a 15 carry per game guy. You can't believe anything coaches say to the media. When a guy is averaging over 5 ypc, you ride him as long as he keeps producing. Shanny usually pulls players for fumbling or for off-field issues. Neither apply to Young. When have you seen Shanny pull out a RB for no good reason? Young was nothing but impressive in most of the 8 games he started. He may not be a burner, but he is patient and has good vision setting up his blocks well. He hits the hole hard and always gives great effort. Sounds like a shanny kind of player to me. He is also a good reciever catching 35 balls last year. I just don't see Shanny pulling him for no good reason and, while I don't see him keeping up 5.2 ypc, I see no reason why he shouldn't continue to play very well. I think he could be a steal at his ADP. He is going in round 5 or 6 and could finish better than some guys going in round 1.

For years, the Denver starting RB was gold. The last few years it's been hard to peg down who would end up starting. For the 1st time in a few years, Denver seems to have a legit #1 in Young. I don't buy Shanny saying he sees Young as a 15 carry per game guy. You can't believe anything coaches say to the media. When a guy is averaging over 5 ypc, you ride him as long as he keeps producing. Shanny usually pulls players for fumbling or for off-field issues. Neither apply to Young. When have you seen Shanny pull out a RB for no good reason? Young was nothing but impressive in most of the 8 games he started. He may not be a burner, but he is patient and has good vision setting up his blocks well. He hits the hole hard and always gives great effort. Sounds like a shanny kind of player to me. He is also a good reciever catching 35 balls last year. I just don't see Shanny pulling him for no good reason and, while I don't see him keeping up 5.2 ypc, I see no reason why he shouldn't continue to play very well. I think he could be a steal at his ADP. He is going in round 5 or 6 and could finish better than some guys going in round 1.

Ratface is the biggest problem with this whole equation, because he has proven time and time again that he is totally unpredictable as to who's going to be that week's RB du jour :banana: . I agree that Young has a ton of potential, particularly in that offense, which has the ability to produce some absolute monster RB stats, but I just don't trust Ratface.

I can't say that I'll absolutely pass him up, 'cuz I may get the opportunity to grab him when he poses way too much value to pass up. But, he won't be my #1 or 2 RB, 'cuz I don't want to sit there every week and :wall: and then :cry: because I couldn't figure Ratface out and didn't guess right.

Selving Youngs 2 best games were against KC, all the rest were mediocre games. You need to keep an eye on Andre Hall, his 2 starts were against Tennessee and Chicago, and he did pretty good those DEFs.

Selving Youngs 2 best games were against KC, all the rest were mediocre games. You need to keep an eye on Andre Hall, his 2 starts were against Tennessee and Chicago, and he did pretty good those DEFs.

We don't get too many Denver games over here, but I also remember Young getting banged up quite a bit. I don't think he could make it through a season as the starting RB. I have a feelng Michael Pittman will wind up having the most carries at the end of the season. He's the one nobody is talking about, so it only makes sense when dealing with Shanny, right?

We don't get too many Denver games over here, but I also remember Young getting banged up quite a bit. I don't think he could make it through a season as the starting RB. I have a feelng Michael Pittman will wind up having the most carries at the end of the season. He's the one nobody is talking about, so it only makes sense when dealing with Shanny, right?

I keep forgetting about him. He is the most established, and the most versatile. He'll get a lot of PT just because of his experience and pass catching skills.

I keep forgetting about him. He is the most established, and the most versatile. He'll get a lot of PT just because of his experience and pass catching skills.

From this point on we speak no more of him. Probably should have kept it on the hush to begin with. :doublethumbsup:

could be completely wrong but not a believer......and i am a texas longhorn fan....

he did get dinged up at texas and seemed to always get that 3 to 4 yds but also seemed to run in mud.

i hope he suceeds but dont buy it....ck

All RBs get nicked up. The differnce is some can play through more than others. Young seems to be one that can play through it. I know what you mean about running in mud, but Denver's scheme isn't about blazing speed. It's about following your blockers which he has done very well. I'm not saying to take him in the 1st couple rounds, but for where you can get him, I think he could be a steal.

Alright, Im most likley gonna get blasted for this but I think Shanahan was legit last year. I drafted Travis Henry last year as my #1. I drafted Selvin Young as a handcuff in the 13th round. Henry did great until he got hurt, he was leading the league in rushing. As soon as Shanahan said henry was hurt and wouldnt play, he annouced the back up would start which was Selvin Young. Then when Selvin got hurt after a bunch of great games, his back up came in who I got off the wire. I think his name was Hall?? When Selvin was healthy again, he started again. Im sure Shanahan has screwed many people here and that sucks but my first impression of the ratfaces ways were not bad at all, as long as you do your homework. The best part of it all is Im keeping Selvin Young and only losing a 12th rnd pick for him.................as long as shanahan doesnt screw me!!

I had Henry and Young last year also and I'm not sure my recollections are quite as rosy as yours, but they are better than the picture that is generally painted of Shanny. If Henry had stayed healthy and out of trouble he would have had a big year.

I'm still holding Young of course. My biggest concern isn't that he won't be Denver's leading rusher but that he's going to get almost no TDs. I just don't think he'll get the inside-the-5 carries. He had 1 TD on 175 touches last year.

I had Henry and Young last year also and I'm not sure my recollections are quite as rosy as yours, but they are better than the picture that is generally painted of Shanny. If Henry had stayed healthy and out of trouble he would have had a big year.

I'm still holding Young of course. My biggest concern isn't that he won't be Denver's leading rusher but that he's going to get almost no TDs. I just don't think he'll get the inside-the-5 carries. He had 1 TD on 175 touches last year.

I had them both too and I remember many weeks when I couldn't start either because you didn't know who would get the bulk of the work. I am staying away from Denver RB but would like to draft MP late.

I like Young's chance but its Denver we are talking about. Their RBs are starting to fall on my avoid list until very late just because they are such a pain to deal with over the last 2-3 seasons. Hall, Pittman and Young all could end up stealing the show or being completley medicore.

I am staying away from Denver RB but would like to draft MP late.

Last time I checked, MP was a Denver RB.

Denver's RB situation is a mess.....I'll likely take a late round flyer on whoever's left.....be it Pittman, Hall, Torain, or Young.....low risk, possibly high reward. I'll flip a coin.

Last time I checked, MP was a Denver RB.

I knew someone would bring that up but I hope you got my point.

This thread itself and seeing everyone's different opinions is reason enough for me not to love Selvin.

So far I've seen Andre Hall, Ryan Torain and Michael Pittman in this thread. I generally do not target players who have 3 other RBs on the team who could potentially touch the ball as well.

Young is the best runningback on the roster, he just needs to stay healthy. Which is easier said than done for him, as he couldn't do that all throughout college nor as a rookie in the pros. Still, he's the #1 back in Denver right now, and he is working hard to not only keep that role but exce in itl. I agree that he should garner more regard than what I am seeing, especially in comparison to the ridiculous overhype of appeal for rookie Ryan Torain as a fantasy option this season. Which is good for a laugh.

Young is the best runningback on the roster, he just needs to stay healthy. Which is easier said than done for him, as he couldn't do that all throughout college nor as a rookie in the pros. Still, he's the #1 back in Denver right now, and he is working hard to not only keep that role but exce in itl. I agree that he should garner more regard than what I am seeing, especially in comparison to the ridiculous overhype of appeal for rookie Ryan Torain as a fantasy option this season. Which is good for a laugh.

Why is it good for a laugh? Part of the mystique of the Denver running game has been that rookies, late round draft picks, and other previously obscure Rbs can have great statistical success. And Shanahan has also shown that he can be unpredictable in terms of giving opportunities. He has stated that Torain has "first round ability" and is a perfect fit for their system. Its coach speak of course but its not hard to imagine that Torain will get a shot at some point this season.

And I dont know how Torrain is ridiculously overhyped. In the 12 team mocks Ive done he usually goes anywhere from the 8th to 10th rounds and even later sometimes. I think that price tag is reasonable for someone who has a decent shot at starting some games in a historically successful running game.

Personally, I'll be staying away from the Denver backfield altogether unless its exceptional value and right now it looks like Torain will be the better value pick than Young simply because he will go several rounds later and IMO the chance that he ends up starting at some point is just as good, if not better, as the chance that Young starts the whole year.

Henry did great until he got hurt, he was leading the league in rushing.

...and where ever he is, I'll bet he's rushing right now. :pointstosky:

I have Young in a dynasty league and I'm not even sure I agree with this. I have no earthly idea how he will stack up to Ryan Torrain or vice versa. I do know that Young was extremely productive when he got limited time last year but I do not know if he's capable of sustaining for 20 carries a game X 16 games. I also know he wasn't that durable at UT, so there's a history there. Shanny deals in quantity, not quality, and he'll squeeze the most out of whatever/whoever he's got on his roster. I'm not comfortable with Selvin as anything more than an RB3 at this point, and as soon as the d-league draft happens, I'm looking at him as RB4.

If Young goes down, Pittman will get the majority of carries. Shanahanigans will give the veteran a chance, he will likely be seeing some third down action anyways during the season.

Meanwhile Torain is recovering from a Lisfranc injury that cut his college season short. Even healthy, he wasn't incredibly explosive. I'm not saying he has no chance, but I think too much is being made of him and expected from him for nothing else but the sake of the Denver RB situation and its history in the last few years.

Maybe Ratface rides Young until he's eventually injured, maybe he tries to keep him as healthy as possible by giving Pittman some touches and maybe a few in Andre Hall's way.

Ratface :huh:

That mad me laugh outloud at work for some reason. I can't get enough of the nickname Ratface.

We're still early.

The Denver running backs usually starts to make it's move up the draft board by week 2 of pre-season. I'm sure Young will be a top 15 backs come draft time for most.