Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

NFL Mock Draft - Commentary Thread

wow. this thing is really gonna happen now. thought it may not happen at all for awhile there.

patweisers.....make the pick that everyone knows you need to/will make.

Aaron Curry will play MLB in a 4-3. .....most likely.

Solid pick. Sucks for the Lions to have the 1st pick this year.

I thought there was an NFL mandate that the Lions have to pick a WR in the first round? :P

I thought there was an NFL mandate that the Lions have to pick a WR in the first round? :P

They still have another first round pick.

They still have another first round pick.

Focking "draft experts" think they're so focking smart.

:P

Nice pick Pat. The fastest path back to respectability for the Lions is having the ability to defend. You can win any game if you can stop the opposition. With a former def. coordinatior of a great defense as a head coach (Scwhartz), you can bet that he will take the same approach and pick Curry.

I don't believe the Lions have ever had a top ten defense since I've been watching football (30 years) and this is one step in that direction.

I agree that Detroit needs to take the closest thing to a sure thing and Stafford is not it.

I don't know if they will take Curry or an OT, but Curry is a good pick at #1.

Kiper would fall out of his chair if Detroit passes on Stafford. Kiper has a healthy man crush on Stafford because he has a strong arm. :banana:

I'm beginning to think St. Louis is going to draft Monroe over Smith. The moves they have made so far were to strengthen the running game (Jason Brown, Mike Karney, Bajema), and Monroe would continue that trend, being the better run blocker of the two. I'm not knocking Smith, as he would definitely help protect Bulger, but St. Louis has one of the few every-down backs in the league in Jackson, and I'm sure they want to give him every opportunity to lead the team. Any thoughts by Rams fans?

Guess I'm alone in thinking Curry #1 for the Lions is a horrible pick. The Lions are really going to pay #1 overall money to a guy that's going to play ILB for them? Good luck with that. I was pretty sure the rule of thumb was you only take QB, LT, DE, or maybe an OLB that's a special pass rusher 1st overall.

Curry's a great LB, don't get me wrong....but is he so slam dunk special that you pass on a potential stud QB or LT in this draft? For my money, the answer is no.

ETA: By the way, this is one seriously slow mf'ing draft so far. Is there any way to pick up the pace or is it going to be a pick per day?

ETA: By the way, this is one seriously slow mf'ing draft so far. Is there any way to pick up the pace or is it going to be a pick per day?

I feeling a nice run coming soon...but if it doesn't pick up, we'll institute some kind of clock starting Monday. :dunno:

Guess I'm alone in thinking Curry #1 for the Lions is a horrible pick. The Lions are really going to pay #1 overall money to a guy that's going to play ILB for them? Good luck with that. I was pretty sure the rule of thumb was you only take QB, LT, DE, or maybe an OLB that's a special pass rusher 1st overall.

Curry's a great LB, don't get me wrong....but is he so slam dunk special that you pass on a potential stud QB or LT in this draft? For my money, the answer is no.

I actually agree with you. I don't see Lions making this moves in RL. They either grab a QB or LT, which is both a need for them.

FYI, there was a NFL draft show on ESPN last night. I didn't see it yet (DVR'd it for later), but I think it is being repeated sometime on Thursday.

I hear your argument but how can you call Curry a potentially great LB but then turn around and say he's not worth the #1 pick this year simply because he'll be a ILB? Last time I checked, inside linebackers have shown the ability to be game changers. Ray Lewis,D!ck Butkus,Mike Singletary,Jack Lambert,Junior Seau, Harry Carson,Ray Nitcschke,Derrick Brooks just off the top of my head.

If you can show me a standout player at one of the positions you mention (QB/LT/DE) in this draft, then I guess you can make a case that they need to go #1. The fact is, there just isn't a no brainer Jake Long, Julius Peppers or QB in this draft to justify that pick IMO without it being a stab in the dark. What's wrong with taking someone who is widely regarded as one of the safest surefire playmakers in the draft? Can the Lions afford to take chances?

I hear your argument but how can you call Curry a potentially great LB but then turn around and say he's not worth the #1 pick this year simply because he'll be a ILB? Last time I checked, inside linebackers have shown the ability to be game changers. Ray Lewis,D!ck Butkus,Mike Singletary,Jack Lambert,Junior Seau, Harry Carson,Ray Nitcschke,Derrick Brooks just off the top of my head.

If you can show me a standout player at one of the positions you mention (QB/LT/DE) in this draft, then I guess you can make a case that they need to go #1. The fact is, there just isn't a no brainer Jake Long, Julius Peppers or QB in this draft to justify that pick IMO without it being a stab in the dark. What's wrong with taking someone who is widely regarded as one of the safest surefire playmakers in the draft? Can the Lions afford to take chances?

I guess I meant Curry was a great college linebacker.

I can't show you a standout player, Curry included. Does Curry project to being one of the best ever like all the names you've listed? I haven't heard any talk like that. I've just heard he's head and shoulders above his competition in this year's draft. Whoopty-do.

I believe Eugene Monroe compares very favorably to Jake Long, and Jake Long was not a no brainer. I believe Stafford has all the tools to be a stud QB in the NFL. He's not a can't miss QB, but he's got the tools.

If there is no standout player, like there really wasn't last year, the default should be QB, OT, DE, or pass rushing OLB. We're talking about a major chunk of money you're going to wrap into this guy. You might as well dump it into one of the few most important and game changing positions.

I guess I meant Curry was a great college linebacker.

I can't show you a standout player, Curry included. Does Curry project to being one of the best ever like all the names you've listed? I haven't heard any talk like that.

My point wasn't to say that any player in this draft projects to be a HOFer, it was to show that these guys were absolute game changers at the ILB position.
I've just heard he's head and shoulders above his competition in this year's draft. Whoopty-do.
See, here's where we differ.If he's head and shoulders above his peers, then I believe that makes him a standout player and justifies being a top pick regardless of position. It's not like we are talking about a safety or something here. This guy could be a factor in 60+% of your defensive plays.

I believe Eugene Monroe compares very favorably to Jake Long, and Jake Long was not a no brainer. I believe Stafford has all the tools to be a stud QB in the NFL. He's not a can't miss QB, but he's got the tools.
Long was the consensus #1 LT last year while Jason Smith, Monroe and Andre Smith (until he imploded) were all talked about as the top LT. Are they all that good? That kinda tells me maybe not. Monroe is intriguing, I'll give you that. Stafford's poor college completion % doesn't translate well to the NFL IMO. He could be a fine QB but I'm not going to roll the dice to find out unless I can trade down. Brady Quinn is just as big of a prospect right now and he could be had for a second rounder I'd imagine. Just sayin... there are other options out there if you need your QB before you need a OL and defense. I'd rather have the latter first.

If there is no standout player, like there really wasn't last year, the default should be QB, OT, DE, or pass rushing OLB. We're talking about a major chunk of money you're going to wrap into this guy. You might as well dump it into one of the few most important and game changing positions.
I guess we differ on what positions can change a game. I believe stud LBs can be a big difference maker.

See, here's where we differ.If he's head and shoulders above his peers, then I believe that makes him a standout player and justifies being a top pick regardless of position. It's not like we are talking about a safety or something here. This guy could be a factor in 60+% of your defensive plays.

Long was the consensus #1 LT last year while Jason Smith, Monroe and Andre Smith (until he imploded) were all talked about as the top LT. Are they all that good? That kinda tells me maybe not. Monroe is intriguing, I'll give you that. Stafford's poor college completion % doesn't translate well to the NFL IMO. He could be a fine QB but I'm not going to roll the dice to find out unless I can trade down. Brady Quinn is just as big of a prospect right now and he could be had for a second rounder I'd imagine. Just sayin... there are other options out there if you need your QB before you need a OL and defense. I'd rather have the latter first.

I guess we differ on what positions can change a game. I believe stud LBs can be a big difference maker.

I meant he's head and shoulders above other LB's in this draft. That's more an indictment on the LB class than anything else. It sucks as a whole.

Long was the consensus LT last year because there was no one else as good. The 3 guys you listed this year are all good enough to go in the top 10. And they are all good enough that any of them could be a good top 5 pick.

So 2 weeks from now when I finally get to make a pick, am I expected to pick who I think the team WILL pick or who I think they SHOULD pick? The 2 could be very different.

So 2 weeks from now when I finally get to make a pick, am I expected to pick who I think the team WILL pick or who I think they SHOULD pick? The 2 could be very different.

I believe you are the GM in this mock scenario.

There's no way this mock is done before the real draft happens. No way!

This board is so completely lifeless right now....I doubt we get through this. Serious.

There's no way this mock is done before the real draft happens. No way!

This board is so completely lifeless right now....I doubt we get through this. Serious.

Chill out.

We'll finish. Provided everyone who signed up for this thing tries to check in a couple times each day.

I know Husker was around last night but didn't pop in over here.

These things always start off slowly. It'll catch fire and go quicker than you think.

Also, are you doing Atlanta, or am I?

I meant he's head and shoulders above other LB's in this draft. That's more an indictment on the LB class than anything else. It sucks as a whole.

Long was the consensus LT last year because there was no one else as good. The 3 guys you listed this year are all good enough to go in the top 10. And they are all good enough that any of them could be a good top 5 pick.

Bottom Line. If they don't like any of the tackles or Stafford, what is wrong with Aaron Curry? He is said to be the best LB prospect since Arrington.

I think in the end they take a LT because they have 3 different style LTs to choose from. But a Curry pick in my opinion is better than Stafford.

I kind of use both. I won't screw up a mock by pick say Donald Brown for the Bills at #11 just because I think he will be very good. If it is a need, and something that "could" happen....along with your own view and like of the player then I take him.

So I take who I think the team should draft, and then compare it to logic. And if my pick can be justified in some way as being a possibility in the real draft, then I make that pick.

Aaron Curry will play MLB in a 4-3. .....most likely.

Solid pick. Sucks for the Lions to have the 1st pick this year.

I actually agree with you. I don't see Lions making this moves in RL. They either grab a QB or LT, which is both a need for them.

all that i've seen says that curry is versatile enough to play inside or outside. Also, i just cant see them taking a QB...in this draft you are gonna overpay for whomever you select #1 overall, so you might as well take as much of a sure thing as possible. The lions are in no position to gamble on a QB., and IMO all the speculation on either side of that decision tells me Stafford is far from a sure thing. i would hope the Lions would build some sort of OL up before finding their QB of the future.

Potential is the key word - I'm pretty sure any owner would rather pay #1 money to a dominant LB than a bust QB. We all know the potential of drafting a Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer, but for every successful rookie QB, there are 5 Ryan Leafs or Alex Smiths. I could see them going LT, but drafting Stafford just doesnt make much sense. He's fallen to the bottom of the top10 on some people's draft boards, and taking him at #1 would automatically make him a top5 paying QB.

The only reason I see them passing on BOTH Stafford and a LT would be the depth at the tackle position. If the Lions go Curry, there will still be plenty of talent left over at pick 20.

If Chronic doesn't pick by the time I get to work tomorrow, I'll make the pick since I don't currently rep. a team.

yeah its looking like we pick who WE would select for them not who we think THEY would.

i have a feeling this notion will have the QB's sliding very far down the mock.

i can see some scenarios here where it will get to someones pick and there is a player on the board that they HAVE to take for their team even though they know damn well on draft day that guy isn't making it to them.

then again who knows, how many people thought brady quinn would be there for the browns to trade back into round 1 and select?

About the only benefit of having the #1 pick now is that you can talk contracts with multiple players before the actual draft. If Detroit views Curry as the best player overall, or at least equal to one or more at the top, and they can sign him for $10 million less than Stafford, any of the Tackles, or whoever else they have ranked at the top, wouldn't that be the smart way to go?

About the only benefit of having the #1 pick now is that you can talk contracts with multiple players before the actual draft. If Detroit views Curry as the best player overall, or at least equal to one or more at the top, and they can sign him for $10 million less than Stafford, any of the Tackles, or whoever else they have ranked at the top, wouldn't that be the smart way to go?

i understand that but there are a few other things to take into consideration. Curry won't fill the stands and create a buzz for the team like Stafford potentially could ala Matt Ryan.

so there is extra revenue to think about there that could very very easily offset 10M in an original contract.

but yes, i do agree that if the Lions truely feel Curry is head and shoulders above Stafford in terms of being a can't miss pospect, then you can take him and save 10 mil on top of it.

Should I just pick? It seems if the draft goes Curry and then Smith, KC would have their selection made for them. I'm thinking they look to protect their new QB.

Should I just pick? It seems if the draft goes Curry and then Smith, KC would have their selection made for them. I'm thinking they look to protect their new QB.

I disagree, they have alot of money tied up in they QB they wanted. I don't think they want to pay top 3 money to another QB, plus they have Thigpen as a backup. I would go with the next DE or WR on the board, I think you know who I'm talking about.

I disagree, they have alot of money tied up in they QB they wanted. I don't think they want to pay top 3 money to another QB, plus they have Thigpen as a backup. I would go with the next DE or WR on the board, I think you know who I'm talking about.

Not pick a QB...a player to protect the QB.

Raji or Monroe IMO.

Raji or Monroe IMO.

I was thinking Monroe. I'll give him another hour to pick (24 hours since the last pick) and then post that pick (unless there is a ton of support against it). Chronic would then have until Seattle picks to make a change if he disagrees...once Seahawks pick it would become official.

Sound cool?

Not pick a QB...a player to protect the QB.

sorry mis-read, proceed

i understand that but there are a few other things to take into consideration. Curry won't fill the stands and create a buzz for the team like Stafford potentially could ala Matt Ryan.

so there is extra revenue to think about there that could very very easily offset 10M in an original contract.

but yes, i do agree that if the Lions truely feel Curry is head and shoulders above Stafford in terms of being a can't miss pospect, then you can take him and save 10 mil on top of it.

How many NFL teams have a hard time selling out? The Bills haven't made the playoffs since 1999, live in a bad economic area, and have no real flashy players to fill the stands. And they sell out every game. 20 degrees in December vs. the Dolphins sell out even faster than the warm games.

At this point it isn't about filling seats for the Lions. They never really had a problem with it until Millen drove it into the ground.

You win games and seats will be filled all the time. A guy like Stafford fills the seats for a year, unless he turns out to be good. But every team needs to take the best player, not a QB, not a guy that will "fill the seats". Not just because.

KC could go a few ways. Curry was the front runner but since he's gone it turns to 1 of 3 guys. Raji, Monroe, Orakpo.

KC could go a few ways. Curry was the front runner but since he's gone it turns to 1 of 3 guys. Raji, Monroe, Orakpo.

Yeah, I'm kind of seeing that now. I'll wait till I get to work tomorrow as I said before...at that point, I'll be time to pick for him.

How many NFL teams have a hard time selling out? The Bills haven't made the playoffs since 1999, live in a bad economic area, and have no real flashy players to fill the stands. And they sell out every game. 20 degrees in December vs. the Dolphins sell out even faster than the warm games.

At this point it isn't about filling seats for the Lions. They never really had a problem with it until Millen drove it into the ground.

You win games and seats will be filled all the time. A guy like Stafford fills the seats for a year, unless he turns out to be good. But every team needs to take the best player, not a QB, not a guy that will "fill the seats". Not just because.

theres also jersey sales and many other areas of revenue to consider... but the bigger fact is the whole generating a buzz and changing the face of the franchise.

it's exaclty what Matt Ryan was able to do last year

not saying Stafford will do that, just saying there is more to consider than saving 10 mil.