Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

The **Official** James Davis thread

Why JD1 and not just JD?

Drafted him in the last round of my draft. He'll be on the waiver wire by week 4 since Jamal Lewis doens't run hard enough to ever injure himself.

Why JD1 and not just JD?

Drafted him in the last round of my draft. He'll be on the waiver wire by week 4 since Jamal Lewis doens't run hard enough to ever injure himself.

Because I've been calling Jake Delhomme, JD for years. :pointstosky:

alsonotreally

I picked up JD, but I doubt I ever play him UNLESS Jamal is gone from Cleveland.

im on the bandwagon!!! :music_guitarred: he is going to need to be my #2 back :( thats how bad i just drafted.

Ok- I drank the cool-aid & took him as my fifth RB in round 15.

Only one other guy knew who he was.

Ok- I drank the cool-aid & took him as my fifth RB in round 15.

Only one other guy knew who he was.

....And Slaton was on waiver wires EVERYWHERE last year at this time, until Week 3.

Just sayin!

man it would be wonderful if Lewis would either A-get released or B-lose his starting job to Davis :unsure: wont mention the other options because dont want to jynx the rest of my awful team :wacko:

man it would be wonderful if Lewis would either A-get released or B-lose his starting job to Davis :pointstosky: wont mention the other options because dont want to jynx the rest of my awful team :rolleyes:

i just hope they wait until late saturday to do it...have my last draft then. Otherwise Davis probably isn't on the radar at all.

I've got a belly full of koolaid and JD as my 6th RB. You muthafockers better be right! :pointstosky:

So you on the bandwagon list?

Drafting James Davis will be the exact equivalent of the nerdy brunette girl in the 80’s movie with the glasses and hair pulled up in a pony-tail. You took a chance on her, maybe because someone bet you that you couldn’t make her prom queen, and it paid off big. Once she got contacts and let her hair down, she was the top rookie RB in the league.

fock...he's now frontpage at rotoworld...his draft spot just went up by another round i'm sure. :thumbsdown:

Im watching the browns/bears game right now and he just flat out looks GOOD! He has looked good in every pre-season game and practice so far.. I cant see a reason why this kid wont take over the starting Job from Lewis at some point!

Im watching the browns/bears game right now and he just flat out looks GOOD! He has looked good in every pre-season game and practice so far.. I cant see a reason why this kid wont take over the starting Job from Lewis at some point!

Being better than the other guy isn't reason enough to take over the starting job in the NFL for some reason. It's the weirdest thing. Either the coaches can't see the obvious or they're too stubborn to put the other guy in the mix and will ride Jamal Lewis' 2.5 ypc all the way to the bottom of the ocean.

Interesting tidbit:

James Davis went to the same high school as Jamal Lewis. Frederick Douglass High School in Atlanta. Davis broke all of Jamal's high school rushing records while there. Now he will take his job in the pro's. It's all coming together. Life is cyclical. :dunno:

:pointstosky: Focking incredible.

I just read this tidbit on KFFL about MJD and Fred Taylor.

"The total volume (of plays) maybe will go up a little bit for Maurice, but we've already had him very involved," head coach Jack Del Rio said. "I think the biggest thing that will happen is that we won't wait until the third series to get him in on first down. We were really bringing him in on third down and then slipping him in later in the game out of deference for Fred (Taylor), and Fred was terrific." Del Rio went on to say Jones-Drew is now going to start, and the team is going to supplement his carries with other running backs. Del Rio said to look for a slight increase to Jones-Drew's use, while adding: "Maurice is a playmaker, we need to get the ball in his hands."

Anybody else read that as, "we knew MJD was the better back, but out of respect for the old-timer we didn't bring him in until later." This is the type of sh¡t you have to deal with when it comes to the NFL.

Anybody else read that as, "we knew MJD was the better back, but out of respect for the old-timer we didn't bring him in until later." This is the type of sh¡t you have to deal with when it comes to the NFL.

Same crap with DeAngelo sitting behind DeShawn Foster for so long. Often, despite having better running skills, more explosion, or whatever, the 2nd back is there for a reason...usually it's cause they suck at blocking and blitz pickup, other times it's cause they flat out don't know the plays and can't recognize situations like the vets can.

Same crap with DeAngelo sitting behind DeShawn Foster for so long. Often, despite having better running skills, more explosion, or whatever, the 2nd back is there for a reason...usually it's cause they suck at blocking and blitz pickup, other times it's cause they flat out don't know the plays and can't recognize situations like the vets can.

Thats the key.

if a talented rookie is not playing much it is usually because they are having trouble making blocks & reads.

if a rookie RB cannot block, the teams will continue to run defenses that will force him to pick up blitzes and it can really hurt the passing game.

First downs are not as bad because teams are game planning for the run a bit more. but third downs, get a little scary if your RB isnt picking up the Blitz.

The difference is Lewis is not a Mangini guy. We have all seen it before. New coach comes in. Plodder continues to be below average. In comes the coaches guy and does better.

I watched JD a ton too and think he is better than Spiller. Think of it like James Davis is the LenDale White to Spiller being Bush. Call me crazy but that is how i see it.

....And Slaton was on waiver wires EVERYWHERE last year at this time, until Week 3.

Just sayin!

Uhh no he was drafted in most real leagues

Slaton was not drafted in any league I was in and not one person I know who had a draft , slaton was drafted. Ahman Green was but not slaton. he came out of no where and was a hot pickup by week 3. He was just a backup and a no body when most leagues drafted. Ofcoiurse large leagues with 14 + teams he probally was drafted.

Slaton was not drafted in any league I was in and not one person I know who had a draft , slaton was drafted. Ahman Green was but not slaton. he came out of no where and was a hot pickup by week 3. He was just a backup and a no body when most leagues drafted. Ofcoiurse large leagues with 14 + teams he probally was drafted.

Slaton was drafted in all 4 of my leagues last year, even the 10 teamer.

Since you run in slow circles, let me help you out with a deep sleeper for this year.... :rolleyes:

"Donald Brown" <--- little known back in Indy. Might get some PT!!!!!

Slaton was drafted in all 4 of my leagues last year, even the 10 teamer.

Since you run in slow circles, let me help you out with a deep sleeper for this year.... :headbanger:

"Donald Brown" <--- little known back in Indy. Might get some PT!!!!!

Steve Slaton was drafted in alot of leagues......really late though. He was also ignored in a few leagues as well. Either way he was a late round fantasy draft pick who was pretty far down on peoples radars. I think that is the point. The difference between a RB getting drafted in the 10th or 11th round and not at all is slim.

Donald Brown has been everyone's "sexy" rookie pick this summer.

Comparing the two is non-sense.

Now let's get back to how awesome JD1 is gonna be!@#!

Do Cleveland Browns have RB Jamal Lewis on the chopping block?

by Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

Friday September 04, 2009, 5:54 PM

Chuck Crow/Plain Dealer

Could running back Jamal Lewis be an ex-Brown on Saturday?CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Could Browns running back Jamal Lewis be cut Saturday when the Browns trim their roster to 53?

League sources said rumblings began a couple of days ago that Lewis, who turned 30 last week, could be one of the dozen players the Browns let go, and espn.com's Adam Schefter Friday put Lewis at the top of his list of big-name players on the bubble. Nationalfootballpost.com's Mike Lombardi also speculated Lewis will be cut.

Question is, would the Browns release a player after giving him a $3.5 million roster bonus in March? Would they put the ball in the hands of rookie running back James Davis? And what about Jerome Harrison, still recovering from a left knee injury?

"Nobody has told us anything about Jamal," said his agent Mitch Frankel. "We've had no conversations with the Browns about him and no one has told Jamal anything."

Frankel admitted he'd be surprised if the Browns part with the 10th-year pro.

"Jamal is a great asset to that team," he said. "But anything can happen in the NFL."

Frankel said Lewis, who's also heard the speculation, is taking it one day at a time.

"We'll wait and see like everyone else," he said.

Lewis, coming back from off-season ankle surgery, averaged 2.6 yards per carry on his 24 preseason carries with a long gain of 11. He hinted during an interview on his birthday (Aug. 26) that he wasn't going all out yet. However, his protege, Davis, averaged 7.8 yards per carry and scored on an 81-yard burst against the Lions, although many of those yards came against backups.

After Thursday night's game in Chicago, during which Lewis and the rest of the starters were idle, Lewis praised the young back, who picked up a blitz on a touchdown pass and blocked well on Gerard Lawson's 55-yard kickoff return.

"I've known him for a long time and to see him come out here and do a good job and take things in the way he has and handle things like a real professional, that's a great deal," said Lewis, who attended the same high school as Davis in Atlanta. "He runs good and he looks good and he's going to be a great back."

He's also spent much of the off-season mentoring his apparent successor.

"Whatever I know, I try to give to him and he takes it and adds to it everything else that he has and makes it special," said Lewis, who rushed for 1,304 yards in 2007. "I try to let him know everything I did wrong and how to make it right."

Lewis, who became the 24th back in NFL history last season to reach 10,000 yards, was also looking forward to sharing reps with the rookie.

"When they brought him here I was like 'that's cool' because I remember him from high school, so being able to be in the same backfield with him and practices and the same meeting rooms, and actually share my experiences with him, it's a good deal," said Lewis. "I had a Priest Holmes (as a mentor) when I came in the league and I try to pass the same things down."

If the Browns cut Lewis, that would mean they paid him $10 million for the 1,002-yard season he had in 2008. Signed to a three-year extension by Phil Savage in 2008, Lewis made $6.5 million in 2008, including bonuses, and then the $3.5 million roster bonus in 2009.

Would it be wise to cut him after that kind of investment? His base salary for 2009 is $2.4 million, which he would not get if released.

"Eric Mangini and George Kokinis are running the team and they can do whatever they want," Frankel said of the Browns coach and GM.

If it does happen, the Browns would potentially have at least $19 million on the books this season for players who are either gone, on the bench, or coming off it. Derek Anderson, who could be the backup quarterback, received a $5 million roster bonus in April. Corey Williams, who's playing behind Robaire Smith at right end, received a $6 million bonus. Receiver Donte' Stallworth, who's suspended for the season, received a $4.5 million bonus, and Lewis, $3.5 million

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...jamal_lewi.html

I have to say that I am not a big Jamal fan but after reading that article I have a new found respect for him. I like the Priest Holmes reference. He is acting very professional. Hell, I would too if I have just received a $3.5 million dollar roster bonus and over $10 mil.

James Davis, I have a good feeling. I have him in two leagues. :mad:

well he was drafted in all 5 league I play in and in 4 of them by me. I mean it wasnt really hard to figure out he was a backup to a guy who hadn't been worth anything and injured the last 3 years.

Just got Davis in the 11th in my Rapid Draft. :mad:

It ends very soon BTW, so do not forget to grab your team.

I realize a lot of folks may be fearful knowing that I am in this thing now but you should at least try. :unsure:

2 finals drafts over the weekend, hoping JD1's still low on the radar and in stealth mode.

My league draft tomorrow is critical - I will probably have to take him quite early, we'll see. :(

If Lewis miraculously got cut tomorrow too, holy fock would I have to jump him up on the board.

Brown is also on all my squads this year - I'm coupling the Davis/Brown train with the occasional McCoy or Wells mixed in.

10 Team PPR league, 2 starting RBs with a short bench (4 players) ... do I drop my RB3 Mendenhall for JD?