Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

***Official LOST Season 6 thread***

The book Desmond is reading on the plane is "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" By Salman Rushdie. Rose is reading "Weekly Woodsman" magazine.

At some point I swear I saw someone pick up a copy of Soren Kierkegaard's "Either/Or."

I can't remember who or when though. Anyone?

Let's just toss this out there -

The only other person we know healed by the temple is Ben Linus. At the time, Richard warned that "there could be consequences."

How was Linus changed? We haven't seen it.

But Ben is the loophole that killed Jacob.

What if healing Sayid in the murky water makes him a loophole capable of killing Nemsis/Smokie/MIB?

Further connection: the reason Ben Linus was healed at the temple was because Sayid "killed" him.

I suspect there's a balancing game being played out. Sayid will eventually kill Nemsis/Smokie/MIB and restore balance on the island.

Ben Linus' dad shot Sayid as revenge for shooting little Ben.

Sayid is wearing black.

The water is murky/black.

Let's just toss this out there -

The only other person we know healed by the temple is Ben Linus. At the time, Richard warned that "there could be consequences."

How was Linus changed? We haven't seen it.

But Ben is the loophole that killed Jacob.

What if healing Sayid in the murky water makes him a loophole capable of killing Nemsis/Smokie/MIB?

Further connection: the reason Ben Linus was healed at the temple was because Sayid "killed" him.

I suspect there's a balancing game being played out. Sayid will eventually kill Nemsis/Smokie/MIB and restore balance on the island.

I was only referring to the rush to say Sayid was Jacob. Among other arguments, I just don't think Sayid isn't enough of a main character type, like a Locke or Jack. He is more of a supporting character type, despite being Oceanic 6 and Jacob touching him, IMO.

Could very well top the ratings and hype of the M*A*S*H series finale.

not a chance -- I love the show but I don't even think it is in the top 10 week to week

not a chance -- I love the show but I don't even think it is in the top 10 week to week

AI had a 8.4 last night.

Lost averaged about a 5.6...not counting the clip show beforehand.

Desmond wasn't really on the flight. I think Jack was seeing a ghost.

That was kind of my thought too, that the 2 realities would start merging.

That part didn't really make sense. I guess we'll find out.

Also, I think the tapestry will play an important part eventually - maybe like a "gameboard" for Jacob and MIB. Illana picked up a piece of tapestry in the cabin that was supposedly left by Jacob. And then last night we saw Fake Locke cut out a portion of the tapestry.

Why couldn't he be on the flight? If the Island was buried under the ocean he damn well couldn't have crashed into it during his race around the world could he? Sure it would be a MAJOR coincidence that three years later he jumps on Flight 815, but it's entirely plausible.

Why couldn't he be on the flight? If the Island was buried under the ocean he damn well couldn't have crashed into it during his race around the world could he? Sure it would be a MAJOR coincidence that three years later he jumps on Flight 815, but it's entirely plausible.

Possible, yes.

But I think Desmond disappearing and Rose & Bernard conveniently not being able to confirm/deny him being there means something else is up.

On a side note, what's with all the three's? A reference to three dimensions of time? The pendulum in the lamppost station would certainly seem to suggest this.

I'm talking over my head, but I think this whole series is based around a pendulum.

--------------------Source - Kills your eyes-----------------

This text explores the possibility that space-time is absolutely symmetric. This is to say that there are both three dimensions of space as well as three dimensions of time. But, quite simply, how can this be so? While three spatial dimensions can be absolutely commonplace, three time dimensions of time is presently not. Well, why not? Why can't there be three dimensions of time to accompany the three dimensions of space? Let us now examine this question in somewhat greater detail.

Can There Be Three Time Dimensions?

Most everyone these days (at least in the Western World) recognizes the three dimensions of space:

The First Spatial Dimension --- A Line

The Second Spatial Dimension --- A Plane

The Third Spatial Dimension --- A Box

But, what about time?; why can't there be three dimensions to time as well? Indeed, if there were these three dimensions of time, what, might one ask, might be the characteristics of these three time dimensions? Here, in this section, the author will propose the following picture for one possible tri-symmetrical time scenario. It goes as follows:

The First Time Dimension --- Forward-In-Time

The Second Time Dimension --- Backward-In-Time

The Third Time Dimension --- Oscillatory (Or Simple Harmonic) Motion Both Forward And Backward-In-Time

So, in this view, there can be three dimensions of space followed by three dimensions of time.

Thusly, the third time dimension may actually become a theory of motion; that is, of oscillatory motion. But how? Oscillatory (or simple harmonic) motion may simply be motion backward and forward (perhaps) in two time directions. Hence, in oscillatory motion, it is not so much that motion flows back and forth, but that time oscillates in this same fashion! So yes, forward-in-time can take place in one direction, and then backward-in-time in the other. But, in turn, if the oscillatory motion is seen to be essentially circular (as in a pendulum, for example), the motion can go first forward then backward in time in a circular fashion to and fro.

Therefore, if one examines closely the hands of a clock, one can note this type of motion happening --- it is in essence circular motion. Hence, what we call "clockwise" and "counter-clockwise" might simply correspond to forward and backward-in-time or the first and second time dimensions as described above. Therefore, these unique laws of non-Newtonian motion (which fundamentally are non-linear) might be described simply as dimensions of time!

So, whilst a pendulum may actually be circular motion, this kind of motion can become interrupted by passing both to and fro into the sixth physical dimension and, therefore, appears to us to be oscillatory. In the case of other types of linear oscillators, it is really the same motion taking place in this case, but the motion is linear instead of being circular. Thusly, if Newtonian laws of motion do describe motion in a straight line (which they indeed seem to), both circular and oscillatory motion perhaps may be described utilizing symmetrical time and dimensionality! This forms the essence of the author's proposal.

This description is a very different one then that given to us by Isaac Newton. While the author agrees that it takes forces to bring about a circular motion, Newton's three laws offer us only a limited description of circular motion (F = ma) and conversely no mention at all of oscillatory motion.

In conclusion, this text offers us a new picture of space and time, where a perfect symmetry is the rule of the day. The third dimension of time actually enters us (surprisingly) into the realm of motion. Therefore, a kind of Unification of time with motion can be seen to take place in the sixth dimension where oscillatory motion may actually be an oscillation of time rather than of motion per say.

When a pendulum is displaced from its resting equilibrium position, it is subject to a restoring force due to gravity that will accelerate it back toward the equilibrium position. When released, the restoring force combined with the pendulum's mass causes it to oscillate about the equilibrium position, swinging back and forth. The time for one complete cycle, a left swing and a right swing, is called the period.
The period is the duration of one cycle in a repeating event, so the period is the reciprocal of the frequency.

Then there's this guy and his Frisbee which seems to correlate with Faraday and his Skipping Record example.

Here, I introduce a convenient "shorthand" for the discussion so far and that to come. In this phraseology, there are three dimensions of space, and three dimensions of time. What we have just done with the introduction of the fourth dimension is enter the first dimension of time. If the Frisbee is seen as a point (say from a great distance), the "Frisbee moving through the air" describes a line, the first dimension of time, or the fourth dimension of space/time.

The fifth dimension, in Ouspensky's writings as I understand them, is the fourth dimension in infinite repetition. Here we can visualize it as the fifth dimension of space/time, in which the Frisbee solid (third dimension), moving along in time (fourth dimension), is repeated, or mirrored, in flights of infinite parallel Frisbees—infinite just as each of the previous successions in dimensionality are an infinite number of the previous dimension. But where do the infinite number of Frisbees come from?

If we look at the fourth dimension of space-time as the first dimension of time—the Frisbee as a point extended to describe a line—we now extend that line at right angles to itself to form a plane, the second dimension of time.

It seems to me that seeing the fourth dimension in this way leads easily to an idea of the fifth dimension, and one that is in line with quantum physics. If we see this tossed Frisbee as describing the fourth dimension, all other possible trajectories for the Frisbee represent the fifth dimension. This fifth dimension would then correspond to quantum physics' "superposition" in which, prior to measurement, a quantum system can be in any possible state or, rather, in all possible states simultaneously.

Finally, the sixth dimension of space-time, or the third dimension of time. The sixth dimension includes all possible expansions of the fifth dimension in space-time. Using the terminology of the three dimensions of time, the plane (second dimension), moved at right angles to itself creates a three-dimensional figure, but a figure in three dimensional time. It is actually a six-dimensional figure in space-time.

We can see the sixth dimension as the solid of the Frisbee, so to speak, that is as the point (the Frisbee) extended in time to become a line, repeated infinitely to become a plane which in turn is repeated infinitely to become a solid. This represents what Ouspensky called "all possibilities", in this case, for the Frisbee. But it is not all possibilities for an apple. An apple forms its own point, and line, and so on.

Which leads to David Deutsch and The Fabric of Reality:

Not only are persons spread out through worlds, but they, like everything else, are quantized through time in any given world. Time is a series of moments, and a person who exists at a moment exists there forever in four-dimensional spacetime, rather than being transformed continuously through the flow of time. Such change and flow are mythical, Deutsch argues. The argument doesn't strictly require the multiverse hypothesis, because deterministic physics since Newton has implied that the openness of the future is an illusion, and consequently that free will is an illusion. (This conclusion could be avoided by adopting compatibilism. Also, collapse interpretations of quantum mechanics imply both indeterminism and an open future).

What the multiverse adds to a block time theory is an attenuated account of common sense's ideas of causation and free will. Although an effect can't be changed by its cause, the counterfactuals that causal statements support are true. If the cause hadn't occurred, the effect would not have occurred. For the multiverse, which is "to a first approximation" a very large number of co-existing and slightly interacting spacetimes, includes universes in which the cause doesn't occur and its effect doesn't occur. And although the "me-copy" in this spacetime could not have done otherwise, there are me-copies in other worlds that actually do otherwise (thus, the common-sense idea that, in choosing one course of action, one refrains from another, is not retained). There is a branching of these me-copies that validates my sense that my future is open, in contrast to spacetime physics. However, the open future of common sense is a myth. As defined by the Darwinist framework, there is no flow of time dividing the actualities of the past from the unactualized potentialities of the future.

Since "other times are just special cases of other universes" (an idea that has been much expanded by Julian Barbour), the temporal granularity of personhood through time is a special case of being spread out through worlds. In addition to one's identically time-stamped copies at a moment across parallel worlds transversely, there are the differently time-stamped copies across parallel worlds longitudinally, linked by natural law so as to give the individual's experience of one world and a continuous self. The implications for the theory of personal identity are not yet clear, but Derek Parfit's Reductionist view seems to be favored: The concept of personal identity ceases to apply when branching is taken into account, but branching maintains what's important about personal identity, such as psychological continuities having to do with memory, desire, character, and so forth.[6] Another possibility is that Robert Nozick's Closest-Continuer theory could be modified so as to track closeness transversely as well as longitudinally. The tracked slices of "me-copies" would be the continuing person. Deutsch would seem to favor some such approach. There are "multiple identical copies" of me in the multiverse. Which one am I? Deutsch answers, "I am, of course, all of them." (The Parfitian answer would be, "The concept of personal identity doesn't apply.") Copies need not be strictly identical in the sense of the identity of indiscernibles relativized to universes: All of my copies see a coin spinning in a coin toss, but an instant later half my copies see 'heads' come up, the other half see 'tails'. A distinction between copies, versions, and variants is at work here. Variants of me need not see the spinning coin. Versions of me see it though some of them see 'heads' and some 'tails'. The multiple identical copies of me all see the spinning coin.

Many of [ME] are at this moment writing these very words. Some are putting it better. Others have gone for a cup of tea.

My head just asploded.

On a side note, what's with all the three's? A reference to three dimensions of time?

My head just asploded.

:wave: :thumbsdown: :thumbsup:

:wave: Just watched, 2 of my general theories were right...

'John' is smokie(which was highly suspected, if you look back on season 5 it makes total sense, John was never seen with smokie)

We will see 2 different realities where the plane lands, and they get send back to the present. Instead of flashbacks and flashfowards, we will see flash-alternate-realities.

When Juliet struck the bomb, instead of the time line becoming linear again, it split into at least 2 realities. There may be a large number of realities, because we saw Desmond and a lack of a Shannon, Charlie looked different, Jack got a different number of alcohol bottles, small differences. Or maybe the original timeline has now been destroyed, and we only have 2. However, nothing is exactly the same in the LA X reality, subtle differences. So when they land, maybe Christian's coffin(did it disappear to the island? Same with Locke's knifes? Maybe inanimate objects got "thrown" into the other timeline) is there if they really never crash at any reality. Yes, it looks like the loop theory pans out kind of, but there are only 2.

Juliet before she died said "It worked" maybe when you die you go back to reality one? Maybe next week Sayiid will say he was at LA X one minute, and back to the island the other minute. I doubt it.

Oh yeah, what is Christian? Just another manifestation of smokie? Smokie can imitate almost anything, he needed to imitate Locke to manipulate Ben. I guess he like the way Locke looks on him so he is just keeping that image.

Also, i hope Richard isn't dead, he was terrified when he realized Locke was X. I think he is just knocked out. Also, chains? I agree with what was previously said that Richard goes WAY back, before the black rock even, maybe thousands of years.

I think Jacob kept X trapped where ever he was, and was the body guard to Richard and other people. When Eko was "Judged" that was both Jacob and X, Jacob wanted Eko to confess for his sins. He didn't, so he allowed X to do his thing to him. X and Jacob protected the island together, but X hated being bossed around and restricted by Jacob, but couldn't kill him either.

Seriously, this is like season 1 again with so many different theories and question, lots of mystery, it is like the whole show reset along with the loops.

I think this is the first time in my life that I have ever opened a "Lost" thread, and this is the first time that I watched the show. Ok, I kinda watched it. I really wasn't paying much attention at all, but I do remember a bald guy being bullet proof and turning into a black cloud? WTF was that about? How can a show that has this kind of BS in it be popular? Also, wasn't this show suppose to be cancelled a few years ago?

I think this is the first time in my life that I have ever opened a "Lost" thread, and this is the first time that I watched the show. Ok, I kinda watched it. I really wasn't paying much attention at all, but I do remember a bald guy being bullet proof and turning into a black cloud? WTF was that about? How can a show that has this kind of BS in it be popular? Also, wasn't this show suppose to be cancelled a few years ago?

BP: No offense brother but that right there is some pretty ignorant stuff you just wrote. Seriously? How can a show like this BS be popular? It's a fantastic show. It's not realistic. It's not supposed to be. However, they throw some reality in there with relationships, sex, betrayal, etc. that it keeps it somewhat grounded. I think if you have ever watched Star Wars, Star Trek Movies, Avatar, you would reconsider wondering why "BS" like this is popular. The answer is simple....it's cool. :pointstosky:

At some point I swear I saw someone pick up a copy of Soren Kierkegaard's "Either/Or."

Just caught it on the re-watch.

The French guy who got his arm torn off under the temple had it with him.

Yeah it's all good. You just don't know and that is ok. I can see your perspective. Take my word for it, it is damn good show. You tuning in without prior knowledge made it unwatchable I bet. Start from the beginning with DVDs and you will watch as much as you can until you catch up. Guaranteed. I wish I was in your shoes so I could do that. You can bash it all you want with your ignorance, but it will fall on deaf ears.

:pointstosky:

That part didn't really make sense. I guess we'll find out.

Also, I think the tapestry will play an important part eventually - maybe like a "gameboard" for Jacob and MIB. Illana picked up a piece of tapestry in the cabin that was supposedly left by Jacob. And then last night we saw Fake Locke cut out a portion of the tapestry.

Nobody really saw Desmond except Jack. He came and sat down then he was gone.

I also recommend we start calling MIB/Fake Locke = Flocke

Yeah it's all good. You just don't know and that is ok. I can see your perspective. Take my word for it, it is damn good show. You tuning in without prior knowledge made it unwatchable I bet. Start from the beginning with DVDs and you will watch as much as you can until you catch up. Guaranteed. I wish I was in your shoes so I could do that. You can bash it all you want with your ignorance, but it will fall on deaf ears.

:cheers:

I will accept this as the best possible explanation.

I remember looking at my girlfriend after the first 5 minutes and saying "So do you like survivor too?" lol. She said no, and that this wasn't even remotely the same.

Oh well, I'll go back to not watching Lost unless I decide to start from the beginning.

Also Jets, I love the original Star Wars and original Star Trek, so I get your analogy. Duly noted :thumbsup:

I will accept this as the best possible explanation.

I remember looking at my girlfriend after the first 5 minutes and saying "So do you like survivor too?" lol. She said no, and that this wasn't even remotely the same.

Oh well, I'll go back to not watching Lost unless I decide to start from the beginning.

Also Jets, I love the original Star Wars and original Star Trek, so I get your analogy. Duly noted :cheers:

Phillybear talked me into watching it about two years ago. I started on ABC.com and watched a ton of episodes on my lap top.

I almost missed the second half...the commercial break at the hour mark was convincing enough of an end that I went to the bathroom and started to get ready to settle down in the bedroom. Luckily I hadn't turned the TV off and heard Hurley talking right when I walked out and was like "WTF is going on". I thought for sure that the two hour premiere included the hour "build up" they aired right before it.

Good stuff so far. Glad to see the "Smoke Monster" stuff confirmed. I'm more interested in Richard more than ever now though. I've always loved episodes with Richard in them. Good to finally have the feeling that I'm going to learn how the hell he is connected to all of this.

It sounds like Richard showed up on the BlackRock ship. It was a slave ship and Locke said something like, "Good to see you out of chains" or something like that.

It sounds like Richard showed up on the BlackRock ship. It was a slave ship and Locke said something like, "Good to see you out of chains" or something like that.

You could be right but I think it might just be a smokescreen and Richard might be quite a bit older than that. Ancient Egyptian old. Although Richard building the ship in the bottle last season would seem to bolster the idea he is somehow connected to the Black Rock.

Richards back story is right at the top of my list of questions I want answered. Looks like they may have to tell that story sooner than later. Maybe next week. :banana:

Richard is NOT a Black Rock slave.

If Richard was intended to be a Black Rock slave, they wouldn't have cast Nestor Carbonell for the role because he's the wrong color.

If "out of your chains" means out of slavery, then the most recent he could have been a slave was 1300 years ago to the Arabs. Chances are better he was Egyptian or Roman since we've seen zero indication of Arabic civilization.

If Richard's backstory ties into the Black Rock, it won't be as a slave.

If Richard was intended to be a Black Rock slave, they wouldn't have cast Nestor Carbonell for the role because he's the wrong color.

If "out of your chains" means out of slavery, then the most recent he could have been a slave was 1300 years ago to the Arabs. Chances are better he was Egyptian or Roman since we've seen zero indication of Arabic civilization.

He might not have been a slave per-say but it is possible he was a prisoner forced to labor for the Black Rock which was I think was described as both a mining ship / prisoner transport. But my money is on Egyptian.

In the beginning of last seasons finale, Jacob and the guy in the black shirt are talking. He says to Jacob, "do you have any idea how bad I want to kill you?" That's fairly obvious. What else does he say about people coming to the island? Something about it always ending the same, corruption, greed, etc. That's an important part to this. Jacob calls it progress.

I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't know if the producers would have the audacity to cast a black guy as a slave.

In the beginning of last seasons finale, Jacob and the guy in the black shirt are talking. He says to Jacob, "do you have any idea how bad I want to kill you?" That's fairly obvious. What else does he say about people coming to the island? Something about it always ending the same, corruption, greed, etc. That's an important part to this. Jacob calls it progress.

My interpretation given his comments set against the backdrop of an island that has seen several civilizations over thousands of years visit the island is that Jacob is a champion of mankind and fake locke ain't much of fan. Under this backdrop, I think Jacob brings people to the island in hopes that he can validate his faith in man while fake locke seems to manipulate the group in such a way to prove that man will always resort to our basest intincts. I'm reading Fake Locke's assertion that it "always ends the same" as his take on the track record of the previous inhabitants of the island where they probably always fell into a destructive mode. Jacobs comment about progress might mean that a humnakind's poor track record doesn't leave man irredemable since there is room for growing and learning.

I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't know if the producers would have the audacity to cast a black guy as a slave.

In the movie Amistad, you can give Morgan Freeman a role of Joadson that doesn't exist because the historically accurate storyline of a bunch of white guys defending the slaves isn't PC enough for modern audiences. You could argue that Hollywood needs a strong, capable, wise black guy knee deep in the cause. Besides, it's nice for us all to pretend guys like that actually existed.

But you still can't give the role of Cinque to Tom Cruise.

Ancient Egypt had slaves too. :lol:

"Lost" Season 1 vs. "Lost" Season 6 - Watch a side-by-side comparison of the Oceanic flight

Ok Charles Widmore....

I think I read Desmond had this book on the plane, but I haven't got around to the rewatch, yet. :bandana:

I think I read Desmond had this book on the plane, but I haven't got around to the rewatch, yet. :thumbsup:

in the Alternate reality maybe Des is like a Jacob.

Ok Charles Widmore....

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that Widmore is actually Magnus Hanso (captain of the Black Rock). Remember, it was Widmore that purchased the Black Rock's log book at auction. Why else would he want it? As long as he stayed on the island, he didn't age which is why he appeared to be in his late 20's to early 30's when we some him in 1954. The next time we see him, he appears quite a bit older (mid 40's) in 1977. Hs followers were pissed at him because he'd left the island. Now, he seems to be in his 60's or 70's.

What I'm thinking is that while on the island, people that Jacob has "touched " in some way don't age while they are on the island, but once they leave they resume the normal process. I wonder if that's why The Others thought Walt was "special". He actually was aging when he shouldn't have been. However, we never saw Jacob visit Walt. I wonder if Jacob was just manipulating Ben and The Others to put some part of his plan in motion. Didn't Mrs. Klugh say there really wasn't anything "special" about Walt after all of the testing?

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that Widmore is actually Magnus Hanso (captain of the Black Rock). Remember, it was Widmore that purchased the Black Rock's log book at auction. Why else would he want it? As long as he stayed on the island, he didn't age which is why he appeared to be in his late 20's to early 30's when we some him in 1954. The next time we see him, he appears quite a bit older (mid 40's) in 1977. Hs followers were pissed at him because he'd left the island. Now, he seems to be in his 60's or 70's.

I was referring to the fact that nobody used to word "audacity" which is a word Widmore used when he confronted Sun at the airport.."You had the audacity to..blah blah" which is the only time i have ever heard it used.

Widmore was 17 years old in 1954, meaning in 1977 he was 40, meaning in 2007 he is 70. He seemingly ages normally. He wanted the black rock journal because there might have been references on how to get to the island in there because he knew the ship wrecked on there. He was exiled by Ben from the island, basically Ben manipulated everyone into thinking he was not truly one of them, and he was more of a co-leader because Eloise was the true leader. My guess is Ellie left after she realized she killed her own son.

Also, i know Hanso was this Russian billionaire who funded this guy(forget his name) research, thus the Darma initiative was born, and he derived equations to find the island then set up experiments on the island. I am guessing Hanso is dead.