Sign in to follow this  
BirdBradyBobbyOrr

Brady vs Manning

Another thing that hasn't changed is Brady never threw a game winning TD. Montana did. Roethlisberger did. Brady didn't. He just had to get to the 30 to set up Vinatieri.....which is hardly clutch.

Here's what Brady did in his 4 SBs:

Rams - drove team down the field for the winning FG in the closing seconds. Not his fault the score was tied and they only needed a FG.

Panthers - led them to 18 4th quarter points - 2 TDs and the winning FG - Again, not his fault that they only needed a FG at the end.

Eagles - led them to 10 4th quarter points and then sat back and watched the D hold on for the win.

Giants - drove them 80 yards for a go ahead TD with 2:30 left in the game. Sat back and watched his D give the lead back and then had only 29 seconds to try to pull off a miracle.

Brady was clutch in every single game.

It matters because people are trying to say that Manning has done it all by himself over the years and some one went as far to say "If we had to rank teams on the amount of talent OUTSIDE of the QB position, the Colts would be near the bottom of the list."

Playing with Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark isn't eaxctly like throwing to Todd Pinkston and James Thrash. I wasn't trying to down play Mannings accomplisments but some people are getting a little wacky in this post when trying to praise Manning.

Manning is a great QB (and will be one of the all-time greats when all is said and done), there's no need to build his legend by claiming that he had to walk five miles uphill in the snow to school everyday.

Ok, this is fair and thanks for clarifying. No, Peyton hasn't had to walk uphill in the snow (both ways), and yes, he's had some outstanding offensive talent around him. But can it honestly be said that first round talent is the measure of how good a QB's supporting cast is? Are any of those guys the talent that they are without Manning making them better? Brady had the bonus of getting arguably the most talented WR in NFL history on his roster during his record setting campaign and still couldn't seal the deal. I don't think I would put the Colts near the bottom of any list, particularly in terms of offensive talent. But to say the Pats haven't had their share with Moss, Dillon, Welker, Terry Glenn, Troy Brown and a better defense most years downplays the talent they have.

Tom Brady has thrown for 30,000 + yards. Thats very good.

BUT Peyton Manning has thrown for 50,000+ yards. That's a "slight" advantage for Peyton.

Tom Brady has thrown 225 TD passes. That's also very good.

Peyton Manning has thrown for 366 TD passes. That's a "little bit" better.

Tom Brady has a career completion percentage of 63.3. Again, very good.

Peyton Manning has a career completion percentage of 64.8. Again, he's better.

Tom Brady has a career QB rating of 93.3.

Peyton Manning has a career QB rating of 95.2.

Tom Brady has been to 5 pro bowls and has 1 first team All-pro selection.

Peyton Manning has been to 10 pro bowls and has 5 first team All-pro selections.

Tom Brady has 1 NFL MVP and 2 Super Bowl MVP's.

Peyton Manning has 4 NFL MVP's and 1 Super Bowl MVP.

Peyton Manning has led his team to 7 straight years of at least 12+ wins.

Tom Brady has never done it for more than 2 straight seasons.

Yes, the 3 Super Bowls to 1 argument does have some heavy weight, but look above...it can't possibly have that much weight.

Especially when Tom Brady has played on far superior TEAMS and has had far superior defenses than Manning to help him out.

Without Peyton Manning, the Colts are not even a .500 football team.

Without Tom Brady, the Patriots still win 11 games.

Enough said...

These are some of the worst arguments - Manning has been in the league longer and also did not miss an entire year so of course he will have more yards and TDs and Pro Bowls - he also has more INTs. As far as completion % and QB rating - Manning plays in a dome - his numbers should definitely be better because of that advantage. Manning also has had the luxury of having one coordinator his whole career. Brady is already on #3.

As far as Brady playing on better teams - that excuse can't be used anymore. Manning has had great weapons on offense his entire career and the Colts D the last 5 years is on par with the Pats D earlier this decade. Brady has made the most of his opportunities and Manning hasn't.

Rams - drove team down the field for the winning FG in the closing seconds. Not his fault the score was tied and they only needed a FG.

Panthers - led them to 18 4th quarter points - 2 TDs and the winning FG - Again, not his fault that they only needed a FG at the end.

Eagles - led them to 10 4th quarter points and then sat back and watched the D hold on for the win.

Giants - drove them 80 yards for a go ahead TD with 2:30 left in the game. Sat back and watched his D give the lead back and then had only 29 seconds to try to pull off a miracle.

Ok. That's nice.

Whatever the circumstances, it's easier to drive for a FG than a TD.

I've seen Montana drive for a game winning TD. I've seen Roethlisberger drive for a game winning TD. I've never seen Brady do it.

I'm not saying Brady sucks or anything. He's a good QB. I just don't think he belongs anywhere near the GOAT.....which is where a lot of people want to put him.

These are some of the worst arguments - Manning has been in the league longer and also did not miss an entire year so of course he will have more yards and TDs and Pro Bowls - he also has more INTs. As far as completion % and QB rating - Manning plays in a dome - his numbers should definitely be better because of that advantage. Manning also has had the luxury of having one coordinator his whole career. Brady is already on #3.

As far as Brady playing on better teams - that excuse can't be used anymore. Manning has had great weapons on offense his entire career and the Colts D the last 5 years is on par with the Pats D earlier this decade. Brady has made the most of his opportunities and Manning hasn't.

:pointstosky:

give it up guys, despite FACTS showing it to be, trying to convince a Bahstun homer that Manning is the better QB is like trying to convince a Bahstun home they're not annoying...neither are going to happen.

Ok, and this matters how??? Every freaking QB has 1st round talent on his team...to be honest, most of the early first round talent has cycled off the roster and it's fair to say that Peyton is playing with more LATE first round talent than maybe any other QB. I mean jeebus, the Colts have averaged like 11 wins a season for 10 years and set the all time # of wins record for a decade in which they only won 1 superbowl.

As a Steelers fan, I make only the assertion that Roethlisberger has turned into one of the most clutch QB's in the game. He's on pace to shatter the NFL record for career comebacks at this point of his career. I'm objective enough to recognize that in watching Manning play the QB position, I'm watching one of the truly greats ever to suit up at that position. I contend that you could take Manning and put him on ANY other team and he would make that team better, short term and long term and that there isn't another QB right now that you could say that about. Brady is clutch, but he's a game manager, and last year proved it when a guy who hadn't started a game since high school stepped in and put up nearly the same #'s as Brady's career average.

For as much as I hate the guy, it says more about Belicheat than it does Brady...and it screams "system QB". There is no way in HELL that any backup QB could step into the situation for the Colts and do the same thing. Hell, the Pats won more games under Cassell last year with a 1st place schedule than they did this year under Brady with essentially the same weapons. I predicted before the season that Brady would have a slow start, then about mid-season he would get his confidence and leg strength back and have a good 2nd half. Even I gave him credit for the injury and time to get back into game form. What happened? The Pats were good but not great with the same personnel around them as last year. And I'll say it right now, given a chance to draft a team from scratch, I'm taking Brees ahead of Brady.

God, you guys are so dumb. :pointstosky:

Cassel had 5 LESS wins than Brady with close to the same team. The team this year was different in that there was no receivers after Welker (Gaffney?) and the defense was not the same (no Harrison, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour), add in the fact that Brady was obviously not himself after the injury and you quickly realize (if you are half intelligent) that you have to compare 2007 to 2008. Not 2008 to 2009.

So that means that Cassel was 5 games weaker than Brady. So if you translate that to the Colts, could a backup get 9 (1 minus 5) wins with the Colts? Absolutely.

Ok, this is fair and thanks for clarifying. No, Peyton hasn't had to walk uphill in the snow (both ways), and yes, he's had some outstanding offensive talent around him. But can it honestly be said that first round talent is the measure of how good a QB's supporting cast is? Are any of those guys the talent that they are without Manning making them better? Brady had the bonus of getting arguably the most talented WR in NFL history on his roster during his record setting campaign and still couldn't seal the deal. I don't think I would put the Colts near the bottom of any list, particularly in terms of offensive talent. But to say the Pats haven't had their share with Moss, Dillon, Welker, Terry Glenn, Troy Brown and a better defense most years downplays the talent they have.

Brady won his Super Bowls with Deion Branch, Troy Brown, David Patten, Jermaine Wiggins and David Givens.

They are not quite in the same league as the Colts players over the years.

Also, Brady played ONE game with Terry Glenn, dummy. :pointstosky:

God, you guys are so dumb. :pointstosky:

Cassel had 5 LESS wins than Brady with close to the same team. The team this year was different in that there was no receivers after Welker (Gaffney?) and the defense was not the same (no Harrison, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour), add in the fact that Brady was obviously not himself after the injury and you quickly realize (if you are half intelligent) that you have to compare 2007 to 2008. Not 2008 to 2009.

So that means that Cassel was 5 games weaker than Brady. So if you translate that to the Colts, could a backup get 9 (1 minus 5) wins with the Colts? Absolutely.

Cassel had 1 more win LAST YEAR than Brady did this year with the same team. You wicked retahded Brady backers want to compare Cassel this year with Brady, and that's not even apples to oranges...it's more like apples to lemons. You're on crack if you think the backup to Peyton Manning could step in and win MORE games than Manning would the following year...yet it happened, and it's proof that it's the system, not the QB. No receivers after Welker??? Wow, I think that guy Moss played the whole year too, right??? You are stuck in Tom 2007 jockstrap. Career anomaly, won't EVER happen again.

Brady won his Super Bowls with Deion Branch, Troy Brown, David Patten, Jermaine Wiggins and David Givens.

They are not quite in the same league as the Colts players over the years.

Also, Brady played ONE game with Terry Glenn, dummy. :pointstosky:

Pssst......the tapes, man.....you forgot about the tapes. How many Super Bowls did Brady win with the tapes?

Pssst......the tapes, man.....you forgot about the tapes. How many Super Bowls did Brady win with the tapes?

The tapes weren't the reason why they won them.

Cassel had 1 more win LAST YEAR than Brady did this year with the same team. You wicked retahded Brady backers want to compare Cassel this year with Brady, and that's not even apples to oranges...it's more like apples to lemons. You're on crack if you think the backup to Peyton Manning could step in and win MORE games than Manning would the following year...yet it happened, and it's proof that it's the system, not the QB. No receivers after Welker??? Wow, I think that guy Moss played the whole year too, right??? You are stuck in Tom 2007 jockstrap. Career anomaly, won't EVER happen again.

Look, I am sorry you do not understand football all that much. So I will try to help you a little.

Look at the rosters of 2007, 2008, and 2009. Find the two that are most alike. Pretty simple, even for you. :music_guitarred:

But, I know that if you try to do the half intelligent approach it won't help you with your "arguement."

:ninja:

shhhhhhh....they don't acknowledge that...the fact that Brady knew the defensive alignments and calls has NOTHING to do with how successful they were during that period. NOTHING!!!

:music_guitarred:

shhhhhhh....they don't acknowledge that...the fact that Brady knew the defensive alignments and calls has NOTHING to do with how successful they were during that period. NOTHING!!!

:ninja: Which game did he know the signals?

I was looking at the trophy, and I couldn't find that cute little mark you made. Oh well, I guess you can just keep using it in your imagination. :music_guitarred:

For the millionth time - Brady is the luckiest QB in the league. From TUCK rule BS to Troy Brown stripping the Chargers DBs to Cheating.... the guy hasnt done a damn thing his entire career to actually contribute to winning sans a few easy throws to wide open WRs against crap defenses. Hes along for the ride and always has been. A Glorified Trent Dilfer or Doug Williams. Everyone outside of Boston KNOWS this to be fact. No other QB has ever benefitted more from just being there than Brady. None. Ever. 'Cept maybe Dilfer, but he and Tom are MUCH closer in QB-skill level than it might appear.

Thats why as soon as all of Bradys NFL-equivalent food-stamps are taken away(like this year) he looks about as useless as any other "freeloading QB". Just accept it - the guy is as average as you can get and always will be. The entire Pats "accomplishments" are always met with grumbling and rolling eyes. Perception is everything. The perception amongst knowlegable fans is that Brady is a dime-a -ozen QB. There are at least 7-8 other starters that are better at the position than him in the league right now. And, that bum knee of his.... rut roe.

Sure, Manning threw a lousy pass yesterday and has just one Super Bowl ring. But, at least its LEGIT. At least it comes with no strings attached or asterisks. At least he had a LOT to do with the winning. Unlike Trent Brady who owes all of his succcess to the rulebook, cheating, and Adam Vinatieri.

Glad we cleared that up for all my brothers.... :music_guitarred:

:music_guitarred: Which game did he know the signals?

They did secretly tape the Rams' walkthrough before the SB.

Nothing quite says clutch like knowing the other teams' plays.

But at least they got to the SB without the benefit of some questionable officiating.

:ninja:

I was looking at the trophy, and I couldn't find that cute little mark you made. Oh well, I guess you can just keep using it in your imagination. :music_guitarred:

Wherever it says New England Patriots....it's right there.

They did secretly tape the Rams' walkthrough before the SB.

Nothing quite says clutch like knowing the other teams' plays.

Ah, that's right. They allegedly had a tape of the Ram's walkthrough of their Red Zone offense.

How did the Patriots do when the Rams got in the Red Zone that game?

Ah, that's right. They allegedly had a tape of the Ram's walkthrough of their Red Zone offense.

How did the Patriots do when the Rams got in the Red Zone that game?

Would that be the same tape that was confiscated and destroyed before it was shown to the press? Was that also the same year where the head official allegedly received a phone call from the league office during the Tuck Rule replay?

I'm sure it's nothing but rumor perpetuated by jealous Patriot haters.....I mean, it's not like the Cowboys or Eagles or Packers......it's not like any other team is the target of as much hate as the Patriots....right?

:dunno:

We didn't start the flame war

Peeps were hating on it 'fore I left my comment

We didn't start the flame war

Let the whole wide world know I'm a big old as*hole

Tom Brady has thrown for 30,000 + yards. Thats very good.

BUT Peyton Manning has thrown for 50,000+ yards. That's a "slight" advantage for Peyton.

Tom Brady has thrown 225 TD passes. That's also very good.

Peyton Manning has thrown for 366 TD passes. That's a "little bit" better.

Tom Brady has a career completion percentage of 63.3. Again, very good.

Peyton Manning has a career completion percentage of 64.8. Again, he's better.

Tom Brady has a career QB rating of 93.3.

Peyton Manning has a career QB rating of 95.2.

Tom Brady has been to 5 pro bowls and has 1 first team All-pro selection.

Peyton Manning has been to 10 pro bowls and has 5 first team All-pro selections.

Tom Brady has 1 NFL MVP and 2 Super Bowl MVP's.

Peyton Manning has 4 NFL MVP's and 1 Super Bowl MVP.

Peyton Manning has led his team to 7 straight years of at least 12+ wins.

Tom Brady has never done it for more than 2 straight seasons.

Yes, the 3 Super Bowls to 1 argument does have some heavy weight, but look above...it can't possibly have that much weight.

Especially when Tom Brady has played on far superior TEAMS and has had far superior defenses than Manning to help him out.

Without Peyton Manning, the Colts are not even a .500 football team.

Without Tom Brady, the Patriots still win 11 games.

Enough said...

great post

:thumbsup:

give it up guys, despite FACTS showing it to be, trying to convince a Bahstun homer that Manning is the better QB is like trying to convince a Bahstun home they're not annoying...neither are going to happen.

I'm not saying that Manning isn't a great QB - he's just not clutch.

If you were given a team and were told to pick the QB and they would play one game for all the marbles, and you're life depended on it, who would you pick?

Right now I'd definitely take Brady, Brees, and Roethlisberger before Manning. I'd be ok with Rivers and Warner also.

http://www.manningface.com/

I was looking at the trophy, and I couldn't find that cute little mark you made. Oh well, I guess you can just keep using it in your imagination. :thumbsup:

Thats because the league didn't want to open up the can of worms something like that would cause. Commish Goodell has already proven to be an incompetent poosay, so Bellichick and co. got off with a slap on the wrist and a stern warning.

3 trophies won in games decided by a total of 9 points. The cheatin' helped and until Brady can prove he can win one without the cameras rolling I'll take Manning over Brady any day. Sh!t, even Eli's ring is more meaningful then all of Brady's combined.

But stay classy Boston :music_guitarred:

Would that be the same tape that was confiscated and destroyed before it was shown to the press? Was that also the same year where the head official allegedly received a phone call from the league office during the Tuck Rule replay?

I'm sure it's nothing but rumor perpetuated by jealous Patriot haters.....I mean, it's not like the Cowboys or Eagles or Packers......it's not like any other team is the target of as much hate as the Patriots....right?

:thumbsdown:

Dude, I am trying to work with you on this. The tape is supposed to be of the Rams Red Zone offense.

I'll ask again, how did the Patriots defense do when the Rams were in the end zone? Please answer.........:thumbsdown:

Thats because the league didn't want to open up the can of worms something like that would cause. Commish Goodell has already proven to be an incompetent poosay, so Bellichick and co. got off with a slap on the wrist and a stern warning.

Ahhhh.......a conspiracy theory. :thumbsdown:

Maybe next you can tell me about how 9/11 was an inside job, we didn't land on the moon, or that Eskimos really exist. :thumbsdown:

I don't see how Pats fans come in here bragging about Brady after the performance Brady gave in his last game vs. Baltimore....or his last Superbowl appearance when he couldn't beat Eli.

But to Pats fans, everything is about Brady.

I think we need to break Brady's playoff performances into 2 categories.

With Videotapes and Without.

Ahhhh.......a conspiracy theory. :thumbsdown:

Maybe next you can tell me about how 9/11 was an inside job, we didn't land on the moon, or that Eskimos really exist. :dunno:

Conspiracy? :lol:

And Barry Bonds is the alltime homerun king too! No asterisks right? :thumbsdown:

The Pats haven't won since 2004. They and Brady are irrelevant.

Since 2004, Brady has 12 post season Ints - the most in the entire league over the past 5 years of post season. Let's keep calling him clutch however - he did have those couple of FG drives back in the day.

Dude, I am trying to work with you on this. The tape is supposed to be of the Rams Red Zone offense.

I'll ask again, how did the Patriots defense do when the Rams were in the end zone? Please answer.........:o

Hmmm....I dunno man....seriously, I dunno....but I'm guessing the Rams did alright in the redzone, which would prove that the tapes really didn't help the Pats at all, right? Whatever. My point is that the tape was never released....so you can't say definitively what was on it and what was not on it.

All we know is that there were tapes....and when the Pats had these tapes, they won Super Bowls. Since they've been exposed, the Pats have a SB loss....another year where they missed the playoffs....and another year where they lost in the opening round of the playoffs.

Seems to me, if I were a Pats player/fan....it's time to put up or shut up.....or....or....if the Pats underwhelm again, you can root for Manning and the Colts to lose again....which is what you're going to have to hope for, because I just don't see the Pats making a title run in the next few years.

But hey, you guys had a good run....kinda....as long as nobody asks too many questions. :rolleyes:

The Pats haven't won since 2004. They and Brady are irrelevant.

Since 2004, Brady has 12 post season Ints - the most in the entire league over the past 5 years of post season. Let's keep calling him clutch however - he did have those couple of FG drives back in the day.

And who would Brady be if clutch Vinitieri missed those field goals???

Scott Mitchell?

BBBO,

i realize you're just being your usual windbag self but how exaclty is the debate over?

i would say it won't be over until their careers are. Manning just lost his first SB and as I recall, the last time Brady played in one, he lost.

seems to me if Peyton wins one or 2 more, you guys won't really have much of an arguement.

Sure, Manning threw a lousy pass yesterday and has just one Super Bowl ring. But, at least its LEGIT. At least it comes with no strings attached or asterisks. At least he had a LOT to do with the winning. Unlike Trent Brady who owes all of his succcess to the rulebook, cheating, and Adam Vinatieri.

How is Manning's legit?

As a Colts fan pointed out, Vinatieri had 14 FGs in that postseason for the Colts. He had 18 for the Pats 3 SB runs COMBINED. Manning also threw twice as many picks as TDs. The Colts won that year in spite of Manning.

Anyone can get lucky once.

Always nice to let the fresh air in, eh? :lol:

In an incident dubbed "Spygate,"[9] on September 9, 2007, NFL security caught a Patriots video assistant taping the New York Jets' defensive signals from an on-field location. Jets coach Eric Mangini, a former Patriots assistant, tipped off league officials that the Patriots might have been filming their signals. After the game, the Jets formally complained to the league.

On September 13, the NFL fined Belichick $500,000—the largest fine ever imposed on a coach in the league's 87-year history,[10] and fined the Patriots $250,000. Additionally, the Patriots forfeited their first round draft pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. Goodell said that he fined the Patriots as a team because Belichick exercises so much control over the Patriots' on-field operations that "his actions and decisions are properly attributed to the club." Goodell considered suspending Belichick, but decided that taking away draft picks would be more severe in the long run.[11]

Belichick later issued the following statement:

"I accept full responsibility for the actions that led to tonight's ruling. Once again, I apologize to the Kraft family and every person directly or indirectly associated with the New England Patriots for the embarrassment, distraction and penalty my mistake caused. I also apologize to Patriots fans and would like to thank them for their support during the past few days and throughout my career. " "As the Commissioner acknowledged, our use of sideline video had no impact on the outcome of last week's game. We have never used sideline video to obtain a competitive advantage while the game was in progress." "Part of my job as head coach is to ensure that our football operations are conducted in compliance of the league rules and all accepted interpretations of them. My interpretation of a rule in the Constitution and Bylaws was incorrect." "With tonight's resolution, I will not be offering any further comments on this matter. We are moving on with our preparations for Sunday's game."

Mentioned this in another thread but this one seems more relevant. The Brady/Manning Colts/Pats stuff is getting boring. manning and the Colts had the chance to put all but the most boneheaded Colts Manning bashers to sleep. Manning/Colts came up way short vs the Saints for many already stated reasons. Unless the Colts/Manning win another S Bowl, and they have the core for it, then their only "Big Moment" is the come from behind AFC Champ game vs the Pats. Much like the Red Sox 4 game comeback vs the Yanks the Colts S Bowl win vs the Bears reminds me of the Sox W S win over St Louis, great but not quite as fulfilling as the road getting there. My 2 cents

How is Manning's legit?

As a Colts fan pointed out, Vinatieri had 14 FGs in that postseason for the Colts. He had 18 for the Pats 3 SB runs COMBINED. Manning also threw twice as many picks as TDs. The Colts won that year in spite of Manning.

Anyone can get lucky once.

Because according to Pats fans, getting the team down the field for FG's counts for the QB. So he is legit! He is better than Brady, Brady's career is over, due to his injury and the fact the Pats only pick up old guys and that has now caught up with them, plus they aren't cheating that we know of atm.

BTW, How did Brady do in that ONE game this post season? 4 turnovers right? IN ONE GAME? OMG!!!! :music_guitarred:

I guess clutch boy, isn't so clutch after all, huh?

Because according to Pats fans, getting the team down the field for FG's counts for the QB. So he is legit! He is better than Brady, Brady's career is over, due to his injury and the fact the Pats only pick up old guys and that has now caught up with them, plus they aren't cheating that we know of atm.

BTW, How did Brady do in that ONE game this post season? 4 turnovers right? IN ONE GAME? OMG!!!! :cry:

I guess clutch boy, isn't so clutch after all, huh?

Yes, Brady finally had a year where he was one and done in the post season.

How many times has Manning been one and done in the playoffs?

Despite this declaration...Peyton is still better than Brady.

Oh...and Elway?

Prior to his last 2 years...his postseason record was 7-7.

He was a career 54% passer in the postseason. 27 TDs, 21 INTs and a sub 80 rating.

Manning has already thrown for more Tds than Elway...with 2 fewer INTs...a higher passer rating...a higher passing percentage...more yards...

Just comparing QB numbers to Brady in the playoffs...

same number of games.

Same amount of TDs...Manning has 4 more INTs...a higher passing percentage...higher rating...and 1000 more yards passing.

Perhaps...maybe...just maybe...Tom had a little more help at some point in his career. Fair to say I think.

As a pure QB...Manning is simply the better player.