Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Worst recent FA signing in MLB? Can anyone top Carl Crawford?

Seven years @ $142,000,000 - 20 million per season.

.249 BA

7 HR

38 RBI

.285 OBP :o

.375 SLG :doh:

.663 OPS :lol:

Jayson Werth signed a 7 years 126 million dollar deal this year as well

.224 BA

14 HR

45 RBI

.331 OBP

.381 SLG

.712 OPS

Adam Dunn is having a pitiful season as well, but he got 4 years 56 million

.164 BA

11 HR

40 RBI

.296 OBP

.296 SLG

.592 OPS

Not a free agent signing, rather a trade, but I counter with Vernon Wells (me and Cruzer like this trade a lot):

$26.6 mill this year, $63 mill over the next three seasons. Cost them Mike Napoli who is tearing it up and leads the league in catcher's ERA.

Wells

.201/.232/.366 slash

.598 OPS

17 HR, 46 RBI

Worst OBP for a regular since 1989

Worst OBP for a corner OF (production position) maybe ever

White Sox didnt sign Alex Rios as a FA, but they did claim him off waivers and picked up the last six years of his deal at $5.9M, $9.7M, $12M, $12M, $12.5M, $12.5M.

Blue jays - Gave Wells and Rios huge deals? No wonder J.P. Ricciardi doesn't have a job

Mike Hampton...

Perhaps you missed the word RECENT?

The biggest signing mistake on the players end should always be Juan Gonzalez

I dont think Curt Flood panned out either. :dunno:

I dont think Curt Flood panned out either. :dunno:

err yea, I'm talkin about Juan getting offered 142mill guaranteed, turning it down, and only having 1 good year after that and only made

a fraction of tha tmoney.

Id say Darryl Kile didnt live up to his end of the bargain on his contract.

Seriously.....id say Alfonso Soriano with the Cubs. Awful contract.

Id say Darryl Kile didnt live up to his end of the bargain on his contract.

Seriously.....id say Alfonso Soriano with the Cubs. Awful contract.

of all the bad contracts the cubs signed, you pick Soriano? :wacko:

8 years, 136 million - he has twice the stats Crawford does

The Red Sox are on their knees praying they get the kind of production from Crawford the Cubs got from Soriano

err yea, I'm talkin about Juan getting offered 142mill guaranteed, turning it down, and only having 1 good year after that and only made

a fraction of tha tmoney.

Gotcha...i didnt read it right the first time. Thought it was funny that your juan gone post came right after the "RECENT" one.

Dude knew he wasnt staying in detroit, at his intro press conference they asked if he was buying a house and he replied "apartment". :lol:

AJ Burnett called and said you guys are crazy.

He's making $16.5 million this year and is 9-9 with a 4.50+ ERA and he's making $16.5 million next year. :wall:

2000 is still recent in baseball terms...

Carlos lee? Milton Bradley?

The Crawford signing was bad, but it's too early to call it the worst..

Meh. At least Crawford adds speed. And ill bet he ends up better next year.

Yea yea rios I know

I'd say Gil Meche...But the fact he gave the team back some of his $$$ i guess somewhat corrects the situation.

Meh. At least Crawford adds speed. And ill bet he ends up better next year.

what good is speed when your obp is .285 :dunno:

47 runs for the team that leads the majors in runs with 15 steals? laughable

16 walks and 74 strikeouts? :lol:

To me it has to be dunn. I mean really. He has hit 40 home runs for as long as I can remember. It was just one of them things the big man was going to hit bombs. Then you add into the fact that he is going to the cell which is a known hitters park and people were talking about him possibly hitting 50-60 homers this year. While crawford has been a wash so far this year his game can be recovered. As far as dunn is concerned if you cant hit a fastball.....you cant play baseball.

Also while not on the level of these signings I would like to toss in the tigers picking up Faggilios 20 mil option and then bringing him back this year on a 10 mil DISCOUNT. So 30 mil for mags useless asss for 2 years.......... What a bargain what a steal.

To me it has to be dunn. I mean really. He has hit 40 home runs for as long as I can remember. It was just one of them things the big man was going to hit bombs. Then you add into the fact that he is going to the cell which is a known hitters park and people were talking about him possibly hitting 50-60 homers this year. While crawford has been a wash so far this year his game can be recovered. As far as dunn is concerned if you cant hit a fastball.....you cant play baseball.

14 million X 4 years - there is a chance he can be traded back to the NL if the white sox pay some of his salary, 3 years isn't the worst contract ever.

vs

20 million X 7 years - he is stuck here for a very long time - he cannot be traded unless the red sox do something very drastic.

I bet if these 2 teams talked trade Dunn for Crawford straight up, the Red Sox would jump at the deal, the White Sox would laugh in their face

14 million X 4 years - there is a chance he can be traded back to the NL if the white sox pay some of his salary, 3 years isn't the worst contract ever.

vs

20 million X 7 years - he is stuck here for a very long time - he cannot be traded unless the red sox do something very drastic.

I bet if these 2 teams talked trade Dunn for Crawford straight up, the Red Sox would jump at the deal, the White Sox would laugh in their face

I understand the contract length issue. What I am saying is that I think CC's game is something that can be recovered. He can work on things in his game which is based on speed and getting on base that dunn can not. If you can't hit a fastball.......you cant hit a fastball and the leage is not going to change that. A 99mph fastball in the AL is still 99mph fastball in the NL.

I understand the contract length issue. What I am saying is that I think CC's game is something that can be recovered. He can work on things in his game which is based on speed and getting on base that dunn can not. If you can't hit a fastball.......you cant hit a fastball and the leage is not going to change that. A 99mph fastball in the AL is still 99mph fastball in the NL.

maybe he can't play in Boston? It's happened many times before. What then?

I thought the Crawford signing was over-rated at the time, but I didn't expect it to be THIS bad. :doh:

I thought the Crawford signing was over-rated at the time, but I didn't expect it to be THIS bad. :doh:

they are paying him slightly less than they are paying Adrian Gonzo.

how the fock did they expect him to live up to that contract?

they paid him clean up hitter money, he's not a clean up hitter.

HUGE mistake by the red sox.

they are paying him slightly less than they are paying Adrian Gonzo.

how the fock did they expect him to live up to that contract?

they paid him clean up hitter money, he's not a clean up hitter.

HUGE mistake by the red sox.

I can't argue at all. It made me uneasy at the time, especially considering all of the contract would take place in his 30's.

I am just glad that I do not have to pay for that salary. :overhead:

Not a free agent signing, rather a trade, but I counter with Vernon Wells (me and Cruzer like this trade a lot):

$26.6 mill this year, $63 mill over the next three seasons. Cost them Mike Napoli who is tearing it up and leads the league in catcher's ERA.

Wells

.201/.232/.366 slash

.598 OPS

17 HR, 46 RBI

Worst OBP for a regular since 1989

Worst OBP for a corner OF (production position) maybe ever

Agreed...... Wells has tradionally been a Rangers killer in the past - but he (and the angels as a whole) have been getting their ass handed to them by our boys this series.

Btw - thanks Anaheim for letting us have Mike Napoli! :banana:

The biggest signing mistake on the players end should always be Juan Gonzalez

In these parts - we refer to Chan Ho Park. :wall:

The Mets are paying Bobby Bonilla over a million a year until 2035. :first:

I was thinking THIS and Werth. Although Crawford and Werth can still pan out as it is early.Mets are broke and paying a broken man for years YEARS after he has retired. :thumbsdown:

The Mets are paying Bobby Bonilla over a million a year until 2035. :first:

The Reds are paying Ken Griffey almost 3.8 million a year until 2024. <_<

The Reds are paying Ken Griffey almost 3.8 million a year until 2024. <_<

That has to be the worst contract in baseball history..............seeing as how Ken Griffey has not played for the reds since 1990.

In all seriousness though.....wtf. Jr was not even that great when he got to the reds.

bump

I am not blaming Theo, as I feel Theo has zero control over signing any player to a deal this big. This comes from the top.

Seven years @ $142,000,000 - 20 million per season.

.249 BA

7 HR

38 RBI

.285 OBP :o

.375 SLG :doh:

.663 OPS :lol:

Jayson Werth signed a 7 years 126 million dollar deal this year as well

.224 BA

14 HR

45 RBI

.331 OBP

.381 SLG

.712 OPS

Adam Dunn is having a pitiful season as well, but he got 4 years 56 million

.164 BA

11 HR

40 RBI

.296 OBP

.296 SLG

.592 OPS

All bad, but the worst is still Barry Zito.

7 years 126 million

43-61 overall record for the giants with around a 4.5 ERA.

If Lincecum and Cain didn't pan out and the Giants were miserably bad the last few seasons, Zito would have gotten beaned by a tomato from a crowd by now.

All bad, but the worst is still Barry Zito.

7 years 126 million

43-61 overall record for the giants with around a 4.5 ERA.

If Lincecum and Cain didn't pan out and the Giants were miserably bad the last few seasons, Zito would have gotten beaned by a tomato from a crowd by now.

You can't see the forest through the rice

The worst OPS+ EVER by a DH before this year was 75, Dunn had a 56. No one with a pulse will ever get lower.

I didn't say Dunn didn't have the worst year.. fock, he might not even be able to play single A ball.

I would trade Crawford straight up for Dunn, right now today. As would any intelligent fan. Crawford has 6 years left at 20 million, Dunn has 3 left at 14 million.

I'll take dunn everyday and twice on sunday. The red sox could easily trade away Dunn and most of his contract, they are stuck with crawford for a couple more years.

Crawford had an OBP less than .300 :lol: that is the red sox #1 thing they look for in a hitter. JD Drew anyone?

I didn't say Dunn didn't have the worst year.. fock, he might not even be able to play single A ball.

I would trade Crawford straight up for Dunn, right now today. As would any intelligent fan. Crawford has 6 years left at 20 million, Dunn has 3 left at 14 million.

I'll take dunn everyday and twice on sunday. The red sox could easily trade away Dunn and most of his contract, they are stuck with crawford for a couple more years.

Crawford had an OBP less than .300 :lol: that is the red sox #1 thing they look for in a hitter. JD Drew anyone?

My issue with your Crawford take is that he had a bad year and given his age and his past, it can be considered an aberration. I rarely take money into account because it's all ridiculous. Revisit it in 2 seasons. Dunn was a greater risk because he was switching leagues (positions) and quite frankly it was obvious this off-season that his interest in money far outweighed his desire to play baseball. There is also no way that anyone is going to accept "most" of Dunn's contract.