Sign in to follow this  
dschddny

Where do you draft Peyton now?

I'm drafting tomorrow night in a 10-team redraft. Where do you pull the trigger on Peyton as he drops? I'm thinking maybe 5th or 6th and then grabbing a QB like Flacco or Bradford in the 8th or 9th to hold the fort til Peyton is healthy.

Another thought is to draft Collins late and then start him until Peyton is back. But then I'd be without a backup at that point, hmm.........

Call me crazy, but I would talk about his injury if I wanted him, try to psych people out, then the earliest is the 7th round, then you have your skill starters, minus Manning...Then I would probably grab another QB pretty quickly....But to be honest, I would avoid him myself, until it became impossible to do so....It is starting to look like 2-4-6 weeks possibly...I would have to assume 4-6 weeks...I guess you could in the 6th, if you had a good plan for your 6th skill player, that you think will still be there.

I tried to avoid Foster and Colts, until it was too good a deal...I got D Clark later, and Addai as like a RB4/5.

No earlier than 120th overall. Too many good players available. I'll let some other sucker use a roster spot for 4 weeks only to learn it will be another 4 weeks and then that he won't return until week 15.

he is pretty much untouchable for me

at this point, we have no idea what to expect and this could turn from 1-2 weeks into 4-6 into him possibly being ready for a late season playoff push if the colts are still in contention. if not in contention? shut it down for the season.

best case scenario is he misses houston and comes back a little rusty. but with so many good QB options this year, why risk it?

How late did you get Clark? And was he the last of the "big 5" TE's to go (after Gates, Finley, Witten, and Davis?

Davis was still there, but I am also wary of SF, and if Collins has to start, I still like Collins, more than I do anyone SF is going to trot out there...I think TE won't be hit by the manning situation as much, and it could even improve the value as a check down...It still made me grimmace.

Manning went in round 3 last night, 4th in my Friday league, and someone had already put him in as a keeper, before the bad info in my first league...So I didn't have to deal with it then.

He may come around, and people get a steal, but I prefer someone else take that chance.

I would draft him about where people drafted Roethlisberger last year--or even a little higher--and then just assume he has a six week suspension too (draft backups accordingly).

Gold doesn't get rusty.

at this point, we have no idea what to expect and this could turn from 1-2 weeks into 4-6 into him possibly being ready for a late season playoff push if the colts are still in contention. if not in contention? shut it down for the season.

best case scenario is he misses houston and comes back a little rusty. but with so many good QB options this year, why risk it?

I'm with White Wonder - consider him untouchable. It's all just speculation, but they are talking in terms of season-ending, maybe even career-ending.

I wouldn't draft him at all, unless the rest of my team was already set. How many months has it been since he's played any meaningful football?

I'm actually considering drafting Peyton (if he falls that far) as a backup QB. Draft your main QB first, then gamble that Manning will return this season and help you in the playoffs.

Bit the bullet and took him in the 6th and I already had Vick. Couldn't help myself. Couldn't pass him up.

that's genius! take an oft injured QB early and back him up with one that already is! And as a bonus, spend 1/3 of your first 6 draft picks on the position that has the lowest roster requirement of all the skill positions. EyeOfDaTiga indeed!

:rolleyes:

I picked him up in the 7th. They are projecting missing 4-5 games. My other QB (Stafford), I think, is going to have a great year. If Manning does come back and gets back into his usual groove, then I got huge value and an every week starter. My team is so utterly stacked that I could easily trade for a solid tier 3 QB as a back up/starter if Stafford goes down if needed. If I had been weak at a position when he was still there in the 7th, I woulda let someone else take a risk on him, but I hadn't reached on anyone yet. You gotta take some risks if you are gonna come out ahead in this game.

It seems like to me that most people are in agreement the following are QB1s this season:

Rodgers

Vick

Brees

Brady

Rivers

Romo

Ryan

Roethlisberger

So if you agree with this, that means the rest of the QBs are low-end QB1 or matchup starters at best. Manning probably should go after this group. And as someone else said earlier, it's probably safe to treat Manning the same way we treated Big Ben last year. In my money leaguers last season, Big Ben went in the 8-10 round range.

Simple

You don't draft him.

on second thought. Draft him after your 2nd kicker.

Simple

You don't draft him.

on second thought. Draft him after your 2nd kicker.

Exactly....where do you draft him? You let someone else deal with that all year.

I passed on him last night in the 3rd...4th...5th...6th...and someone finally grabbed him in the 7th. Unless you have huge rosters, I'd probably never take him. Maybe in the 10th or so in a big league, if I had a good starter with a late bye.

I'm doing my last draft today, so I might try the:

WR/RB/WR/RB/WR/RB and then pick up Manning in the 7th and then a solid QB like Flacco or Bradford in the 8th.

I drafted yesterday at the turn in a ten man league. Went WR/WR/RB/RB/RB...was hoping to get Matt Ryan but he got snagged a round earlier than hoped. Ended up taking Stafford last pick in the 7th and Peyton first pick in the 8th. It's clearly a gamble, but with him as a backup I think this strategy could work out.

My team ended up as follows:

QB: Stafford, P. Manning

RB1: Blount

RB2: Greene

Flex: Wells, Maclin (+ B Jacobs, McGahee, etc.)

WR1: Andre Johnson

WR2: Calvin Johnson

TE: Aaron Hernandez

It seems like to me that most people are in agreement the following are QB1s this season:

Rodgers

Vick

Brees

Brady

Rivers

Romo

Ryan

Roethlisberger

So if you agree with this, that means the rest of the QBs are low-end QB1 or matchup starters at best. Manning probably should go after this group. And as someone else said earlier, it's probably safe to treat Manning the same way we treated Big Ben last year. In my money leaguers last season, Big Ben went in the 8-10 round range.

i disagree with this completely.

now, Peyton could only miss 1 game and thats great but last year with Big Ben, we KNEW how many games he was missing and could plan for when he would be back.

We can't just assume Peyton is back after 4 weeks and we can't assume anything about his health even if he does come back by then. Ben wasn't dealing with any injuries. All he had to do was shake off a little rust.

I agree with this. If I were drafting now, I'd cross Manning off my list. His injury and progress is really not good. Way too much risk. Plus, when/if he does play, how good will he be?

He's just too scary this year.

I would draft him about where people drafted Roethlisberger last year--or even a little higher--and then just assume he has a six week suspension too (draft backups accordingly).

Gold doesn't get rusty.

This is fool's gold.

CBS has this posted.....

Peyton Manning, QB IND

News: WDNE-AM in Indianapolis is reporting that Colts QB Peyton Manning has undergone another surgical procedure on his neck and is in danger of missing the season. This is the second radio report from Indianapolis in less than a week that has suggested that Manning will not play in 2011. Manning has been ruled out for Week 1 at Houston already as he has not rehabbed quickly enough from neck surgery in May. "It will be tough not to be out there playing for the organization and our fans," Manning said regarding missing Week 1, per ESPN. "I simply am not healthy enough to play."

Analysis: As we've been saying for days, Fantasy owners should have a backup plan in place for Manning. For Week 1, we like Colt McCoy (vs. Cincinnati), Kevin Kolb (vs. Carolina), Kyle Orton (vs. Oakland) and of course Collins (at Houston). Potential long-term replacements for Manning include Donovan McNabb, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Chad Henne, Matt Hasselbeck and naturally Collins. None of these quarterbacks come close to Manning in talent but they'll actually play whereas Manning might not. We'll keep you posted