Sign in to follow this  
IGotWorms

Dexter McCluster

It has come to my attention that some people think Dexter McCluster could be in line for a lion's share of touches now that Jamaal Charles has gone down. The rationale is that McCluster is their only playmaker left aside from Dwayne Bowe and that the Chiefs will therefore get him the ball as much as possible.

But there is one serious problem with this rationale: Dexter McCluster is 5'8", 170 lbs. No that is not a typo. He's dimunitive. As in small; tiny; petite.

So he won't be getting a ton of touches because he can't handle a ton of hits. Its a minor miracle every time he gets hit by a 250 pound linebacker and lives to tell about it.

But by all means, go out and waste your #1 waiver wire priority on him tomorrow. Just know that for the rest of the season you are going to get exactly the same from him that you would've gotten last year and that you got in week one of this season: 10-12 touches, 50 yards, and no paydirt.

That is all. HTH. YWIA.

"He's just a track guy, not a football player."

They said the same thing about Trung Canidate .... and look how that turned out!

Oh, wait ...

On the other hand, Thomas Jones went for 900 and 6 TDs last year sharing carries with Charles. There's no reason not to expect similar, if not improved numbers this year, after the Charles injury.

On the other hand, Thomas Jones went for 900 and 6 TDs last year sharing carries with Charles. There's no reason not to expect similar, if not improved numbers this year, after the Charles injury.

There is a really good reason, he is at the end of his career and it looks like he has hit the wall. I would rather have mcclain than jones.

Emmit Smith had a hundred yard game for the Cardinals. Against the Giants. I remember that game, it was in Phoenix and I was there. Jones is a proven veteran. Never been great .... facing his last chance to REALLY make something of his career.

I think even if the Chiefs are just throwing in the towel at some point .... it's gonna be a lot of Thomas Jones. More carries than last year. Should equal more production.

McClain is a FB, and likely wont see many offensive touches, unless and until TJ wears down.

MJD is like 5'5" although built like a bowling ball. Many RBs are very short Woodhead is another.

He's had some injuries too.

Wayne Chrebet is like 4' 2" .... and he used to be fantasy gold in late rounds!

Ok ... maybe 4' 3".

I drafted Woodhead this year.

I picked up McCluster before Charles got hurt. No, I had no preconceptions of him becoming a 25-carry RB, but their options right now are a FB and a 3-ypc 33 year-old RB - so I do think McCluster's value is higher right now simply because he's the only dynamic thing left in this offense.

I wouldn't say "waste a WW pick." People are starving for any RB that's going to get any meaningful touches right now. CJ is worthless, Charles is out, Arian is out, Jones is hurt, Hightower may lose his job, DWill and JStew aren't being used, Moreno is hurt, Bush is more useless than originally thought.

This all reminds me of a time, when I co-managed a team in 2008. Yahoo league .... and I had Colston as my TE, Brees and Chris Johnson. Worked out well. But when it came around to picking a 2nd RB, I suggested Frank Gore, "The starter for the 49ers." and my co-manager was on the phone with me, and he flipped out and refused to draft Gore because he was playing for the 49ers, and we went with Tatum Bell instead. Cost us the championship. That pick.

Thomas Jones is the clear cut, #1 starting RB for a team in the NFL. From a fantasy perspective, there's a lot of potential value there. No matter how bad the team is.

This all reminds me of a time, when I co-managed a team in 2008. Yahoo league .... and I had Colston as my TE, Brees and Chris Johnson. Worked out well. But when it came around to picking a 2nd RB, I suggested Frank Gore, "The starter for the 49ers." and my co-manager was on the phone with me, and he flipped out and refused to draft Gore because he was playing for the 49ers, and we went with Tatum Bell instead. Cost us the championship. That pick.

Thomas Jones is the clear cut, #1 starting RB for a team in the NFL. From a fantasy perspective, there's a lot of potential value there. No matter how bad the team is.

"This one time, at bandcamp....."

mccluster has value, to me, as a wr-rb (can play either) on many websites. i like a backup receiver that (while healthy) at minimum touches the ball 10 times a game via rushes or catches (and has the potential to break a return td too) and has the upside of doing more (if they do increase his rb carries).

i'm not sure why people are down on him. he's going to touch the ball, alot, for a "wr". now, if he were solely a rb, i wouldn't be so optimistic

here are some things i know...

A. cassel has been playing with broken ribs

B. the chiefs ran the ball a TON last year

C. the chiefs made the playoffs last year and didn't have any major losses on offense

D. thomas jones will get as many carries as he can handle

E. dexter mccluster 2 inches taller but 20 lbs lighter than darren sproles, he is not a full time back.

here is something that happened...

I got thomas jones with my #2 waiver priority in a non ppr league. :pointstosky:

mccluster has value, to me, as a wr-rb (can play either) on many websites. i like a backup receiver that (while healthy) at minimum touches the ball 10 times a game via rushes or catches (and has the potential to break a return td too) and has the upside of doing more (if they do increase his rb carries).

i'm not sure why people are down on him. he's going to touch the ball, alot, for a "wr". now, if he were solely a rb, i wouldn't be so optimistic

THIS :thumbsup:

the guy simply has value because you can put him as a WR on your fantasy roster... plus there is the potential that he becomes pretty fantasy relevant getting around 10-15 touches per game with Charles out... and like mentioned above adds value if your league rewards points for return yards as well

What Capt'n Obvious doesn't get is that most people play in PPR leagues. Couple that with the KC Chiefs abasoluely sucking this year which means they will be playing catchup football. Which means lots of screens, dump offs, draw plays. Nobody thinks Dexter McCluster is the next Barry Sanders. But he can put up Darren Sproles numbers (in PPR). Which is not to shabby. Escpecially if he can be grabbed of the waiver wire dump.

Did I mention Thomas Jones was 33 with 12 years of football under his belt and a 3 yards per carry average the past couple years? L'Ron McClain will eat into TJ's carries, but the hurry up, pass happy, lets catch up as we are down three touchdowns benefactor will be Dexter McCluster. 6 catches out of the back field for 50 yards, 10 carries for 40 yards, and the constant possibility of him getting loose and taking one to the house isn't all that bad now is it?

McCluster is listed as RB on Kansas City's depth chart however he is listed at WR only in CBS leagues and he is listed as both WR/RB on ESPN. That it self makes him valuable. You should compare McCluster to Sproles (5'6"/190 lbs) who is not a normal RB himself.

Should you start McCluster every week? Highly doubtful but with bye weeks coming up and no more Charles he will help your fantasy especially in PPR league. The Chiefs will more than likely be playing from behind and Jones is not a 3rd down back at all.

To say its a waste of a ww pick is probably coming from a jealous owner who doesnt have a chance at mccluster. Rarely is a ww pickup a guarentee of making a solid contribution to your team.

Im not saying mccluster is a guarentee either but its all about risk vs reward with the ww. There is at least 1 rb a year who puts up good numbers off the waiver and the probability of it being mccluster is better than most. I will be taking that chance in 2 leagues in which he can be used as either. The only league i perfer other pickups is cbs which has him as wr only. Johnson and johnson are my wr.

Here is latest from Rotoworld:

Dexter McCluster - RB - Chiefs

The Chiefs entered this season preferring to limit Dexter McCluster to 8-10 touches per game.

Through two games, McCluster is averaging 10.5 touches per game (6.0 rushes, 4.5 receptions). We suspect the Chiefs will be desperate enough to increase 170-pound McCluster's workload now that Jamaal Charles (knee) is out for the year, but note that the scatback won't get any red-zone work. McCluster is just a low-end PPR option thanks to his wide receiver eligibility in fantasy leagues.

Source: KCChiefs.com

Sep 21 - 9:29 AM

Hell whatever the Chiefs are doing is not working so how about mixing it up a little Haley and get our man McCluster more involved. :doublethumbsup:

couple of things to add. First off, McCluster rarely saw the field last year. He was injured and had trouble adjusting to the pro game. Obviously I"m not sure about all leagues, but in CBS leagues, the guy is still listed as a WR. In a PPR league, 10-12 touches likely means a consistent 10 pts. The guy is my 5th WR and gets touches at RB and WR which are both surely going to go up a bit. He's a poor mans Sproles with some upside as he gets more playing time.

couple of things to add. First off, McCluster rarely saw the field last year. He was injured and had trouble adjusting to the pro game. Obviously I"m not sure about all leagues, but in CBS leagues, the guy is still listed as a WR. In a PPR league, 10-12 touches likely means a consistent 10 pts. The guy is my 5th WR and gets touches at RB and WR which are both surely going to go up a bit. He's a poor mans Sproles with some upside as he gets more playing time.

Agreed.....but would you drop Lance Moore for him? Just curious.

Dexter McCluster or Jordy Nelson this week in a standard league?

Already starting McCluster over Starks and Reggie Bush in .5 ppr, 1 pt per 25 return yards league.

I dropped the likes of Ronnie Brown or Mo Mass for him. I also just got up earlier than everybody else after the wire had churned, saving my WW priority. I don't think that he is a waste by any stretch, and like another poster mentioned, RB's are being gobbled up this year if they even have a hint of touching the ball 8 times a game. I am not sure why a guy who is already averaging 10 touches, is going to be a waste. Add to the fact that you can play him in approxiametly 50% of your lineup positions, and I think he could be a pretty dam valuable player.

I'm not sure about McCluster, but as long as the Chiefs aren't too bad, I think Jones can have a decent year. I actually almost dropped him after week 1, but good thing I didn't. To the guy who said Jones has averaged 3 YPC the last couple years, um, no. Yes, last year it was 3.7, but he still managed 896/6 splitting time with Charles. Obviously he's not going to repeat his 2009 season, but he is just one season removed from a 4.2 YPC and a 1400/14 season. McClain may vulture a lot of TD's, but I think Jones has a good shot at 1,000 yards.

There are many guys that were small that produced big over the years.

Woodhead 5-8 190

Sproles 5-6 190

W. Dunn 5-8 180

Meggett 5-7 180

Westbrook 5-8 200

Mccluster 5-8 170lbs.

It's certainly has been done and he could get more like 15 touches a game. He could put on some weight during the year also...

1 more thing. If you start him as a wr you are cheating the game. Clearly he will not be a WR but he may go into wr sets. JMHO

Nobody knows what McCluster is or isn't capable of based on his size. He hasn't had enough field time to tell yet. What we do know is that he is a dynamic talent that will be getting more opportunity.....and that's the essence of "up-side". I don't expect him to have 25 carries a game, ever. I don't expect him to be a go-to receiver, ever. BUT, when he gets the ball in his hands he has a chance to do something special. Whether he takes advantage is another story, but I'm willing to take a shot because I think his ceiling is much higher than the 17th-18th guys on my team.

I'm not sure about McCluster, but as long as the Chiefs aren't too bad, I think Jones can have a decent year. I actually almost dropped him after week 1, but good thing I didn't. To the guy who said Jones has averaged 3 YPC the last couple years, um, no. Yes, last year it was 3.7, but he still managed 896/6 splitting time with Charles. Obviously he's not going to repeat his 2009 season, but he is just one season removed from a 4.2 YPC and a 1400/14 season. McClain may vulture a lot of TD's, but I think Jones has a good shot at 1,000 yards.

33 year old RB's don't get better. They get worse. TJ's YPC has been declining every year for the past three. He's averaging 3.1 yards per carry this year and hasn't caught a single pass. He's only caught 24 balls the past two years combined.

If you play in a standard, TD heavy, non PPR league then TJ may have some value. He'll get you 40-50 rushing yards on 16 attempts and maybe squeeze in a TD here or there (McClain will vulutre most of those anyway).

TJ will prolly be a guaarneteed 6-10 fantasy points for you with very little upside for anything more. Congrats. :thumbsup:

The owners just convinced the admin to make Dexter a RB instead of WR in my 3 WR league...

making him slightly less useful for me.

Agreed.....but would you drop Lance Moore for him? Just curious.

I would not. I think the upside of Moore when he returns is higher than McCluster. Moore is on one of the most dynamic offenses in the league, and McCluster is at the opposite end of the spectrum.

There are many guys that were small that produced big over the years.

Woodhead 5-8 190

Sproles 5-6 190

W. Dunn 5-8 180

Meggett 5-7 180

Westbrook 5-8 200

Mccluster 5-8 170lbs.

It's certainly has been done and he could get more like 15 touches a game. He could put on some weight during the year also...

1 more thing. If you start him as a wr you are cheating the game. Clearly he will not be a WR but he may go into wr sets. JMHO

its the only option on sportsline. your girl cheats on you.

33 year old RB's don't get better. They get worse. TJ's YPC has been declining every year for the past three. He's averaging 3.1 yards per carry this year and hasn't caught a single pass. He's only caught 24 balls the past two years combined.

If you play in a standard, TD heavy, non PPR league then TJ may have some value. He'll get you 40-50 rushing yards on 16 attempts and maybe squeeze in a TD here or there (McClain will vulutre most of those anyway).

TJ will prolly be a guaarneteed 6-10 fantasy points for you with very little upside for anything more. Congrats. :thumbsup:

Yes, he hasn't looked good so far this year, but he's only had 14 attempts. Of course his YPC has been declining the past 3 years, his YPC in 2008 at age 30 was the second highest of his career.

And yes, I was mainly referring to standard leagues. But as a bye week fill-in/possible flex starter, I'm fine with a guaranteed 6-10 points.

also ray lewis still thinks jones is the better back but that mccluster may emerge if he learns how to read blocks.

Where did you read this? Interesting that Ray Lewis has commented on McCluster since they haven't played KC this year or last.

Dexter McCluster or Jordy Nelson this week in a standard league?

Already starting McCluster over Starks and Reggie Bush in .5 ppr, 1 pt per 25 return yards league.

Start Dexter in both.