Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Who is the best running back in football?

If purple jesus never returns full strength, who bears the title of best running back?

Do you give the nod to shady because he is so illusive and put up such ridiculous td numbers? He does all this behind a bad o line.

Arian foster is a great combination of speed and power and seems to pull out huge stats no matter the matchup. When the texans are able to spread the field with the pass game he seems a lock for 150 yards and a td.

Chris johnson... No

Ray rice is as consistant as they come with his yardage stats. Maybe not his td totals but the ravens just dont score that much each year. He picked up his overall game this year and has definately cemented himself at the top.

Mjd showed us this year that when healthy it doesnt matter what team he is on he is going to put up ridiculous rushing numbers. If this guy was in a good offensive system he would be at shady's td total while leading all backs in yard totals.

Which do you vote for?

I would vote MJD, yes I'm biased and that definitely had a part in my vote, but what he did this year with 8 man fronts, the worst statistical QB in the NFL and the worst WR core in the NFL is pretty remarkable. He will probably get the rushing title this year.

I would put Lesean McCoy and Foster as 2 (tie).

Ray rice at 3.

Has to be Foster now but after him it gets pretty tough in terms of who is truly automatically elite such that you would spend a high 1st.

After Foster, Rice seems like the best most reliable pick to me.

Spiller seems like the best value pick moving into next year... depending on what happens with Fred.

My List

1. FOSTER - no doubt in my mind. No flaw in his game. Great vision and balance

2. MJD-What he did on a bad team is absolutely amazing

3. McCoy- Speed pure speed

4. Ray Rice - as balanced as Foster , just a notch below

5. McFadden - if he was healthy I might put him at 3 but the injuries ruin a incredible RB

My List

1. FOSTER - no doubt in my mind. No flaw in his game. Great vision and balance

2. MJD-What he did on a bad team is absolutely amazing

3. McCoy- Speed pure speed

4. Ray Rice - as balanced as Foster , just a notch below

5. McFadden - if he was healthy I might put him at 3 but the injuries ruin a incredible RB

I agree Foster is the top back. If you are willing to put Mcfadden at 3rd if healthy what about Charles?

Yeah, can't argue against Foster. He has great patience and knows right when to hit the hole and turn on the speed. Doesn't make any wasted movements and is a force as a receiving back.

Hopefully today it is Kahlil Bell... I need +20pts from him and a miracle from Brees on Monday for a chance.

In the real world - Foster.

Hopefully today it is Kahlil Bell... I need +20pts from him and a miracle from Brees on Monday for a chance.

In the real world - Foster.

I'm thinking 4 points from Bell, yeah, that sounds good.

I think in terms of raw ability, it would be McFadden. But Peterson is so far ahead of everyone else that it really is obvious when you start to look at who might be 2nd best.

Arion Foster without any doubt what so ever.

Foster was #1 on most draft lists prior to week 1 this year, and will definately be going #1 next year. 2 years ago, even though he had the best stats, he could've been picked up in the 5th or later rounds. Nobody knew him then. All time best? Maybe. Priest Holmes and Marshall Faulk had some nice years too.

Marshall Faulk is the best overall in my football watching lifetime. He'd have bad games where he'd drop 150 and a score on the other team. Best receiving back I've ever seen and great in blitz pickup too. Also a very classy guy.

Best right now though? I'd say Foster with McCoy and Rice just a notch below, MJD shortly after them. Peterson is the best pure runner though.

I left off charles due to his injury being one like Peterson's that can affect him from being 100% for a while. Mcfadden should be back next year at 100% (Well until week 4)

I agree Foster is the top back. If you are willing to put Mcfadden at 3rd if healthy what about Charles?

1) Foster easy choice for me even with AP 100% I still think Foster is a better all around back. Hes a multi-threat weapon, every down back

2) Mccoy

3) Rice

4) MJD

all the above 4 are the only every down backs in the league.

after them then you got AP, CJ0K, Charles, Lynch, Mathews, McFadden, M.Bush (actually is best all around back of this group if he ever got his own gig).

RB's are pretty damm deep

McCoy, he makes people miss and produces by himself. I think Foster is a very close second, but I would have to see him play on a team that is not setup to run before I could put him above McCoy.

No love for beast mode?? He has elevated his game this year to be deserving of a mention IMO

No love for beast mode?? He has elevated his game this year to be deserving of a mention IMO

Well not all of them can be the best. He has been very good this year but will need at least another year like this to be mentioned.

Real Football....

Foster

McCoy

Gore

MJD

Rice

Peterson

Fantasy Football

Foster

McCoy

Rice

Peterson

MJD

Alot of other guys.

No love for Steven Jackson? Guy is a monster (when healthy). I'd love to see what he could have done on a contender.

No love for Steven Jackson? Guy is a monster (when healthy). I'd love to see what he could have done on a contender.

I am asking more who is the best back now. In his prime he could have been considered but i think after this year he will start showing his age.

it's impossible to judge RB talent based purely on skill because football is a team sport. unlike basketball or baseball were you can watch individual talent during a game, the RB position depends on the offensive line and coaching schemes. heck, just having a good QB or WR on a team can affect the RB position. But I still stand by Arian Foster as the best RB. he is fast, great vision, good cut back ability and great hands. He still survived with his top TWO QBs out and their best WR out. Teams focus on him but still can't stop him.

it's impossible to judge RB talent based purely on skill because football is a team sport. unlike basketball or baseball were you can watch individual talent during a game, the RB position depends on the offensive line and coaching schemes. heck, just having a good QB or WR on a team can affect the RB position. But I still stand by Arian Foster as the best RB. he is fast, great vision, good cut back ability and great hands. He still survived with his top TWO QBs out and their best WR out. Teams focus on him but still can't stop him.

Agree with you first statement. It's almost impossible to separate the talent.

Disagree with Foster, I'm not saying he's not talented but that Houston running game with Kubiak as the head coach has been basically plug and play.

DMac is hands-down the best RB out there....that is... if we don't count durability.

Disagree with Foster, I'm not saying he's not talented but that Houston running game with Kubiak as the head coach has been basically plug and play.

DMac is hands-down the best RB out there....that is... if we don't count durability.

Foster's ability puts Houston's scheme over the top. The kid is special in every aspect of the game.

DMac, is meh.. Amazing speed but, Foster's all around game is so much more refined. DMac isn't on the field enough for me. He shouldn't be considered elite until he can put a full season in.

Agree with you first statement. It's almost impossible to separate the talent.

I think you count everything and durability is one of the bigger things. If you aren't on the field, then it really doesn't matter. Talent wise, he is up there with the best of them.

MJD has 72 TD's in his career so far and 6,685 rushing yards to go along with 2,469 receiving yards. His career rushing average is 4.6. He is 26 years old and would imagine he has at least 3 to 4 elite years left.

Arian Foster has 33 TD's in his career and 3,097 rushing yards to go along with 1,314 receiving yards. His career rushing average is 4.7. He is 25 years old and would imagine he has at least 5 elite years left or longer since he didn't get beat up early in his career.

Lesean Mccoy has 33 TD's in his career and 3,026 rushing yards to go along with 1,215 receiving yards. His career rushing average is 4.8. He is 23 years old and would imagine he has at least 6 to 7 elite years left. He has a smaller frame, but has held up well up until this point.

Adrian Peterson has 67 TD's in his career and 6,752 rushing yards to go along with 1,309 receiving yards (disappointing as he should be used more in the passing game). His career rushing average is 4.8. He is 26 years old, but his future is one big fat ?. Anyones guess as to whether or not he will ever be the same.

Ray Rice has 27 TD's in his career and 4,186 rushing yards to go along with 2,227 receiving yards. His career rushing average is 4.5. He is 24 years old and would imagine he has at least 5 to 6 elite years left. He is smaller, but seems to be sturdy.

Darren McFadden has 20 TD's in his career and 2,627 rushing yards to go along with 1,191 receiving yards. His career rushing average is 4.8. He is 24 years old and would imagine he has at least 5 elite years left. He is extremely injury prone and hasn't played an entire year of football once in his career. Not sturdy at all.

I used the most common players mentioned in this thread for the best RB's NOW. Couple of things stood out. First, the amount of TD's MJD has. He is leading this group. 2nd, the amount of combined rushing and receiving yards Ray Rice has. His future is extremely bright though is rushing average is the lowest out of the group. The other thing that stood out is McCoy who broke out this year. He is averaging 4.8 per carry and is the smallest back frame wise of this group. He is only 23 years old and is a featured goal line back, just not in the typical sense. Also, how Adrian Peterson is not a complete back. Maybe the best pure rusher, but is extremely lacking in receiving yards. I think that has more to do with the offense then him, but still. Finally, McFadden. He gets a lot of talk on this thread, yet hasn't done much in his 4 years. All the talent in the world means very little if he can't stay on the field. Durability alone, to me, takes him out of this group.

I thought it was interesting to see the stats compared against each other.

In fantasy land, I have to put Foster below guys like McCoy, Rice, AP (pre-injury)and MJD simply because those guys are a one man show, whereas Foster, although a fantasy stud, lost a lot of FF points to Tate this year, and will continue to lose them even more so in the future, I am afraid. In real football, I give the nod to Foster, hands down. He is unstoppable.

Fred Jackson deserved mention also in FF terms, but could see an issue next year with the emergence of Spiller.

Foster is an excellent player, but I think a lot of guys would put up big numbers in that Houston offense. That's been one of the best rushing offenses for years. Remember Steve Slaton? Dominick Davis?

How many players would put up 1,900+ total yards and 11+ TDs in that horrific Jacksonville offense? Only one- MJD.

Foster, and I don't think it's even close. Guy missed 2 1/2 games this year and still barely trailed Rice and Shady points wise. Plus he played significant number of games without Schaub or AJ and still put up good numbers with other teams keying on him. Throw in the fact the he has a backup that would be starting on almost any other team stealing carries from him.

And when you see him play for real, not just fantasy he just looks like he best running back the way he sttacks the field on every play. Reminds me of Peterson when the Vikings used to be good.

Foster is an excellent player, but I think a lot of guys would put up big numbers in that Houston offense. That's been one of the best rushing offenses for years. Remember Steve Slaton? Dominick Davis?

How many players would put up 1,900+ total yards and 11+ TDs in that horrific Jacksonville offense? Only one- MJD.

:thumbsup:

I agree with this. For what he has done with less I think MJD gets my vote.

:thumbsup:

I agree with this. For what he has done with less I think MJD gets my vote.

I would disagree since my opinion would be, put Foster on the Jags and he'd have better numbers than MJD. I've seen MJD get dragged down from behind. Foster would be gone.

I'm not saying his numbers would be far better, but they'd be better.

Fun debate though.

Well you are right that they have an offense that allows rbs to put up stats like that. If you add Tate's stats to Fosters stats for the games that were missed I think that puts him at best numbers for the year. Foster does what he is supposed to do in that offense, put up huge stats. The one key is how many big plays the guy has combined with his goal line skill.

If you are going to put MJD and Foster at 1a and 1b I can understand that. MJD has a little more power than Foster but he definitely does not have the speed Foster does.