Sign in to follow this  
track 1

after 2 years as a Cowboy Dez Bryant still doesn't know 90% of plays

this is amazing. people always ask why dez doesn't get more targets, because he runs the wrong routes. i see at least 5 times in a game after a huddle breaks romo goes up to dez and tell which route to run. i know ya'll see it on tv

The dude is a certified idiot. Freakish talent is the only thing that gets him through the day.

He will never know all of the plays, he doesn't posses that kind of mental capacity.

The dude is a certified idiot. Freakish talent is the only thing that gets him through the day.

He will never know all of the plays, he doesn't posses that kind of mental capacity.

Agreed

Yeah, I dunno about him. I'm debating keeping him next year but with Laurent focking Robinson likely getting a contract along with Austin and Witten being there, it's hard to hang onto I'm. He had an OK year statistically I guess but not breakout material. He's a serviceable WR bu not even close to being a consistent stud.

Which is why I'll still be drafting him if I can get him as my WR 2. Because when he does learn his routes and matures, he is going to be Calvin Johnson-like

Well you better grab a copy of Hooked on Phonics and head over to his house, on the double. He's going to need quite a bit of tutoring to ever get to Megatron level.

I stand by my comments a week or two ago.

Roy Williams II

He was frustrating to own, but I'd draft him next year. With the talent he has, he only needs to learn about 25% of the plays to make a jump. As long as he's staying out of trouble in the offseason, I'll gamble on him again.

I stand by my comments a week or two ago.

Roy Williams II

I'm not even really a Dez fan, but in his second year he had 9 TD's. Williams never had more than 8 (and only had more than 838 yards once).

I'm not even really a Dez fan, but in his second year he had 9 TD's. Williams never had more than 8 (and only had more than 838 yards once).

Yeah, dumb comment. He makes a lot of those.

chad johnson (or whatever the fock his name is now) had one of the lowest wonderlic scores ever. one scout called him "dumb as a stump." he did okay. let's face it: there's not many of these guys who have a lot going on upstairs. irvin still can't talk in complete sentences (another one who did okay even though he lacked cognitive functions).

that said, i've never been a dez fan. probably never will be.

Next year I'm going to add a sheet to my draft list labeled:

'Dumb as a stump' :bandana:

These aren't guys I won't totally pass on but when given an alternative option that can read and write I will.

Currently on my list:

Dez Bryant

Santonio Holmes

Chris Johnson

Can anyone think of any other players that are worthy of the classification?

Next year I'm going to add a sheet to my draft list labeled:

'Dumb as a stump' :bandana:

These aren't guys I won't totally pass on but when given an alternative option that can read and write I will.

Currently on my list:

Dez Bryant

Santonio Holmes

Chris Johnson

Can anyone think of any other players that are worthy of the classification?

james jones in green bay.

Dez would have been a top 5 WR 15 years ago when a WR simply listened to the play call and knew to run a 10 yard out no matter what.

But these days WRs are expected to read coverage and adapt. Dez will never be able to do that. Dallas should trade him while he still has value.

Dez would have been a top 5 WR 15 years ago when a WR simply listened to the play call and knew to run a 10 yard out no matter what.

But these days WRs are expected to read coverage and adapt. Dez will never be able to do that. Dallas should trade him while he still has value.

Not totally related but it's crazy to me that the NFL still totally doesn't know how to evaluate talent. Sure they get it right a lot of the time but it took someone like Victor Cruz to have a 3 td preseason game just to be noticed and make the team.

is this a fact or your observation?

So if he ran 90% of the plays correct he would be at 135 receptions, 20+ td's, & 1800+ yards for the year? He finished the year as the number 20 wr in the league (cbssportsline) with 63 receptions, 928 yards, and 9 td's at running only 10% of the plays correct.

I think you're wrong

is this a fact or your observation?

So if he ran 90% of the plays correct he would be at 135 receptions, 20+ td's, & 1800+ yards for the year? He finished the year as the number 20 wr in the league (cbssportsline) with 63 receptions, 928 yards, and 9 td's at running only 10% of the plays correct.

I think you're wrong

Even if Dez knows where to be a whole 70% of the time, it costs him much more than a 30% drop off in production.

With his talent, 900 yards and 9 TDs is pathetic.

Even if Dez knows where to be a whole 70% of the time, it costs him much more than a 30% drop off in production.

fair enough. Just don't say he only knows 10% of the plays :dunno:

fair enough. Just don't say he only knows 10% of the plays :dunno:

I assume the OP was spinning a phrase. Like when someone says "I'll be there in a second". Or "This bag must weigh a thousand pounds". Or "He always knows what to do".

There are more. All lies technically, but the sayings make a point.

:dunno:

with a deep thigh contusion for 4 games? what are you smoking?

it took 4 years to turn miles austin's incredible physical talent into a NFL-caliber receiving skillset. remember the knocks on miles? probably not, because few people outside of dallas had heard of him prior to 2010. he was a fantastic athlete who didn't understand the offense, freelanced his routes, and had inconsistent hands due to concentration problems. sound familiar? it should.

look--the sophomore slump is not the result of superstition. it is part of most receivers' learning curve. as a rookie, they are given a limited package that relies primarily on physical skills. in their second year (with the benefit of an offseason), they are usually force fed the complete scheme instead of being babied along. it commonly results in a lot of mental errors, since they're being asked to integrate with the offense rather than being isolated. that's why the 3rd season is so significant for WRs--it's how they respond to scheme pressures that will determine how successful they can be.

if dez doesn't have the problem fixed--and i mean fixed--by next season, then i'll call him pathetic. he won't have any excuses then. but the expectations for him were just absurdly high. he's a different kind of receiver than randy moss--he doesn't run a 4.2 40, so "tell the rook go long and then chuck it deep" playcalling just doesn't work.

to look at it another way, remember that laurent robinson was cut from san diego. they didn't think he was even good enough to be on the team. the reason he was so successful for dallas was that he effectively integrated with the scheme...precisely because of his experience in the league. let's give dez until that 3rd, decisive season before calling him pathetic, shall we?

of course, i say all that now, when earlier tonight i was pondering whether or not we could use dez as trade-up bait to draft claiborne, so maybe i'm just FOS.

with a deep thigh contusion for 4 games? what are you smoking?

it took 4 years to turn miles austin's incredible physical talent into a NFL-caliber receiving skillset. remember the knocks on miles? probably not, because few people outside of dallas had heard of him prior to 2010. he was a fantastic athlete who didn't understand the offense, freelanced his routes, and had inconsistent hands due to concentration problems. sound familiar? it should.

look--the sophomore slump is not the result of superstition. it is part of most receivers' learning curve. as a rookie, they are given a limited package that relies primarily on physical skills. in their second year (with the benefit of an offseason), they are usually force fed the complete scheme instead of being babied along. it commonly results in a lot of mental errors, since they're being asked to integrate with the offense rather than being isolated. that's why the 3rd season is so significant for WRs--it's how they respond to scheme pressures that will determine how successful they can be.

if dez doesn't have the problem fixed--and i mean fixed--by next season, then i'll call him pathetic. he won't have any excuses then. but the expectations for him were just absurdly high. he's a different kind of receiver than randy moss--he doesn't run a 4.2 40, so "tell the rook go long and then chuck it deep" playcalling just doesn't work.

to look at it another way, remember that laurent robinson was cut from san diego. they didn't think he was even good enough to be on the team. the reason he was so successful for dallas was that he effectively integrated with the scheme...precisely because of his experience in the league. let's give dez until that 3rd, decisive season before calling him pathetic, shall we?

of course, i say all that now, when earlier tonight i was pondering whether or not we could use dez as trade-up bait to draft claiborne, so maybe i'm just FOS.

I'm a Dallas homer as well fwiw.

Dez's stats are fine for a 2nd year WR. But when the total picture is taken into account, he seems destined for disappointment.

-getting suspended at OK ST.

-the freak out about carrying the veterans pads as a rookie

-the several hundreds of thousands of dollars in debts.

-getting kicked out of malls

-Deion Sanders cutting all ties to Dez because he thought Dez could be a bad influence to his youth program

-getting in trouble in the team hotel lobby early this year

-garret sending him to the lockeroom because he wasn't properly dressed for practice

-romo having to explain to him 10x per game where to lineup and what route to run.

Obviously the only thing that really matters is the last one. But all those other red flags are reasons to wonder if the guy is smart enough to ever get it. I personally dont see it. But I hope I'm wrong.

Dez's stats are fine for a 2nd year WR. But when the total picture is taken into account, he seems destined for disappointment.

-getting suspended at OK ST.

-the freak out about carrying the veterans pads as a rookie

-the several hundreds of thousands of dollars in debts.

-getting kicked out of malls

-Deion Sanders cutting all ties to Dez because he thought Dez could be a bad influence to his youth program

-getting in trouble in the team hotel lobby early this year

-garret sending him to the lockeroom because he wasn't properly dressed for practice

-romo having to explain to him 10x per game where to lineup and what route to run.

Obviously the only thing that really matters is the last one. But all those other red flags are reasons to wonder if the guy is smart enough to ever get it. I personally dont see it. But I hope I'm wrong.

Ray Lewis' Limo Driver - - Oooops

ok--i won't argue with that. he sorely needs to unf#@k himself WRT his life as a human being.

but the point you made earlier seemed to be about his stats not meeting his football potential. my point is that almost no WR in his second year has fully realized his football potential. personally, i'm worried about "has to be involved in the offense early in games" disease, a la TO. but i'm willing to give him another season before i write him off.

ok--i won't argue with that. he sorely needs to unf#@k himself WRT his life as a human being.

but the point you made earlier seemed to be about his stats not meeting his football potential. my point is that almost no WR in his second year has fully realized his football potential. personally, i'm worried about "has to be involved in the offense early in games" disease, a la TO. but i'm willing to give him another season before i write him off.

I will start off by saying that no matter who you draft in ffball you never know how their season will turn out. Some crap out due to injury and others just regress for reasons we didnt see coming. As a fan not writing dez off until after next season is ok. As a fantasy team owner its about what can you do for me now. I think with all the options romo has to throw to in dallas he is not worth the risk if you want to count on him for anything better than a decent #2 wr.

This also depends on how many teams are in your league. A 10 team league you need to be very good at every position unless rodgers or brees is on your team. In a 14 team league dez being your wr2 is definately worth the risk. No one really knows how he will turn out but if you are willing to gamble on him next year just make sure its at good value and youre aware of the red flags that have been raised on numerous occaisions.

Not totally related but it's crazy to me that the NFL still totally doesn't know how to evaluate talent. Sure they get it right a lot of the time but it took someone like Victor Cruz to have a 3 td preseason game just to be noticed and make the team.

Aaron Hernandez in the 4th round!

Dallas seems to sign a lot of them.

Apple doesn't fall far from the tree - with Clowny pulling the strings it's an open invite for dumbasses here.

All I'm saying is if/when he matures mentally and decides to be a professional and really focus on his craft he can be the best WR in the league.

I really believe that. He has all the physical tools. He just needs his head on straight. I realize that's no guarantee, but based on his potential I will have no reservations drafting him as my #2 WR next year. None.

All I'm saying is if/when he matures mentally and decides to be a professional and really focus on his craft he can be the best WR in the league.

I really believe that. He has all the physical tools. He just needs his head on straight. I realize that's no guarantee, but based on his potential I will have no reservations drafting him as my #2 WR next year. None.

There are lots of dumb asses in this world. But what you are failing to realize is Dez is a special breed of dumb ass. As in he can sit in a room full of the dumbest dumb asses and the room will look at Dez and say "what a dumb ass this guy is".

Point being he may be too dumb to ever "get it". His talent alone may keep him the league 5 more years and make him semi productive. But my money is on him never reaching his potential.

Isnt some of this low production attributed to Robinson, Austin, and Witten being there? Dez should be the #1 option at the goal line but he rarely is. Id jump-ball it every time to him but they dont. Romo insists on finding Robinson or that TD-stealer Witten. With a few more TDs, just like 2-3, Dez is now a true WR stud.

He has been playing football his whole life and never had to do this. Usually when people figure this out it is too late, it is very hard to change a life long habit. Remember, 20+ teams passed on this guy.

He has been playing football his whole life and never had to do this. Usually when people figure this out it is too late, it is very hard to change a life long habit. Remember, 20+ teams passed on this guy.

His never having to do that doesn't mean it's a habit. Plenty of receivers have gotten into the NFL on freakish natural talent and only after they got into the league did they refine their skills and route running, etc. Tons of players in the NFL have big heads but most of them mature and learn to be a pro. I know he's a loose cannon right now but again I will be drafting him as an early WR2 just based on potential.

No way. Calvin is better no matter how much dez gets it.

thats the talk here on all three sports talk radio stations. dez does not run the correct routes and romo does not trust him. how does laurent robinson who came off the streets become romos favorite target after miles got hurt? dez bryant never learned to run a route all his life until he got into the nfl. in high school and college he could blow past everyone on his natural talent. but in the nfl where you have to adjust he does not know how to do it

One example of how focking stupid this kid is.

As it turns out, Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant showed up on time for his Pro Day workout.

His cleats, however, didn’t make the trip.

We’re told that Bryant forgot to bring his cleats, and that as a result he had to wear a pair of brand-new shoes, which had not properly been broken in.

As a result, Bryant was slipping, as NFLN’s Mike Mayock pointed out when discussing the workout on the air.

Per a league source, at least one team measured Bryant’s times in the 40-yard dash at 4.57 and 4.62 seconds, within the 4.52 to 4.68 range reported by NFL.com. He presumably would have run faster, but for the slipping.

My link

He's not just stupid, he's also incredibly overconfident. He just does not understand that you can't make it on talent alone at the NFL level. His work ethic is crap.

Dumb + lazy + oft-injured = I'll pass