Sign in to follow this  
thePRO

Is Eli Manning Elite?

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is Eli Manning Elite?

• Yes
    • No

I think he is one small step below elite. He is very good and is capable of excellency. But he can also really stink up the joint on occasion. For example, I'm talking about when he completes 9 of 27 passes and ends up with a 61.5 QB rating, as he did against the Jets in week 16 this year. Elite QBs can have bad games, but not quite that bad.

And don't get me wrong, I am not an Eli hater. I think he is very good. I'd put him well ahead of guys like Philip Rivers, Tony Romo, and Matt Stafford. He is just maybe a half a rung short of being elite.

That said, if he wins a second Superbowl then I think he automatically reaches elite status.

When it matters? Yup.

Your response sums it up best and most succinctly so far in my opinion.

Not sure if that is enough to convince me to vote yes though.

No - Elite is limited to Brees, Brady & Rodgers right now. Eli falls into the E-Light category for me with Romo and possibly Stafford and Cam although they do not have the track records yet.

no, but close.. In terms of FF he will never be based on situation and sytle of play in NY

in terms of real life football he is getting close, actually on a local radio station this morning they were debating: "in the big game who would you rather have eli or peyton" now IMO thats still a little crazy but the fact that the conversation is even going on means he must be getting there..

In the Outdoor playoff game in Jan who do you take?

When it matters? Yup.

I can't stand the douche - but he does have 5 road playoff wins, that's pretty strong.

Yes. In my Giant's fan biased, non-fantasy football based opinion he is right there with Rodgers and Brees and well ahead of Romo, Rivers, etc. As much as I hate the Patriots, Brady has the rings to be considered the best.

Eli has shown time and again that he can win the big game and I am glad he is on my team.

he's getting there.

Eli needs to play great more consistently.

He's proven to be a Clutch QB, he's handled the biggest games as well as anyone.

I guess we should maybe define "elite"? Does "elite" mean HOF?

The Elite QBs today (PManning, TBrady) are HOF QBs with Brees on the cusp and maybe Rodgers too.

IF Eli keeps this up, he could get HOF consideration. The view of Eli has rightfully improved over the past few years - it took him a while, but he's become a rock-solid NFL QB.

When Eli had that "miracle" drive/win over NE in the SB, we all thought it was a fluke - turns out that's more the norm for Eli than not - the guy's got some clutch ability.

Trade him to the Cowboys even up for Romo and see how good he is. :argue:

He's good, but not yet GREAT,.....but hell he should be, he's both a Manning & a 1st Round Draft Choice,...if anything, he's an under achiever :P

As much as I hate him, i'd put him as above average, but below elite. 2nd tier type of guy.

Trade him to the Cowboys even up for Romo and see how good he is. :argue:

He's good, but not yet GREAT,.....but hell he should be, he's both a Manning & a 1st Round Draft Choice,...if anything, he's an under achiever :P

Eli has improved each year (with the exception of last year) and is becoming the QB we Giants fans dreamed he would be. Romo on the other hand is playing at the same exact level he was playing at when he took over the job and he will continue to be mediocre at best.

Eli has improved each year (with the exception of last year) and is becoming the QB we Giants fans dreamed he would be. Romo on the other hand is playing at the same exact level he was playing at when he took over the job and he will continue to be mediocre at best.

Keep telling yourself that :lol:

Can he rise to the occasion against the 49ers that Romo did ?....if he does, then i'll show Eli a little more respect.

Keep telling yourself that :lol:

Can he rise to the occasion against the 49ers that Romo did ?....if he does, then i'll show Eli a little more respect.

Romo did what???? dumb.

Eli is elite as in a top 7 or so quarterback but he is far from the best and only somewhat removed from the rest.

jdon

Romo did what???? dumb.

Eli is elite as in a top 7 or so quarterback but he is far from the best and only somewhat removed from the rest.

jdon

Played through injury and threw a CLUTCH game winning pass to Jessie Holley in overtime to beat the 49ers @Home

lookie here putz

now i'll exit this ELI boot licking thread,........Hail "Mr Pooppy Pants" :lol:

I said yes based on his post season wins and his football savvy. He is a major factor on a good football team. I would take him for my team if we needed a QB. How many teams out there would love to have him??

Played through injury and threw a CLUTCH game winning pass to Jessie Holley in overtime to beat the 49ers @Home

Can you say BLOWN COVERAGE? I could've thrown a pass to that wide open recycled football player. And while it did put them in position to win it wasn't the game winner Einstein, he was tackled at the 1 yard line.

How many teams out there would love to have him??

I know one...the Cowboys! DOH!

Top tier - Brady, P. Manning, Brees, Rodgers

2nd tier - Big Ben and Eli

Rivers slipped out of the 2nd tier this year. I would rank big Ben higher than Eli.

Can you say BLOWN COVERAGE? I could've thrown a pass to that wide open recycled football player. And while it did put them in position to win it wasn't the game winner Einstein, he was tackled at the 1 yard line.

I never said it was a TD,...i said it was a CLUTCH game winning pass, which should hve been a TD if the ROOKIE not Recycled WR would have finished his job.

now move it along bullie :lol:

now i'll exit this ELI boot licking thread...

I never said it was a TD,...i said it was a CLUTCH game winning pass, which should hve been a TD if the ROOKIE not Recycled WR would have finished his job.

now move it along bullie :lol:

Hey! You said you were leaving! I pity the fool! :Mr-T:

No - Elite is limited to Brees, Brady & Rodgers right now. Eli falls into the E-Light category for me with Romo and possibly Stafford and Cam although they do not have the track records yet.

Brees and Rodgers are both out...Eli isn't. Unless you're a homer, there's no freakin way you can even mention Romo in the same sentence as Eli. Hell, Eli has already exceeded Romo's career playoff wins...IN ONLY THE FIRST 2 WEEKS OF THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR!

In all seriousness...it depends on the criteria. Regular season success? Regular season stats? Playoff success? Playoff stats? Superbowls? Accounting for all of it:

Brady, Roethlisberger, Brees, Rodgers, Eli, Peyton (these guys all have some if not all of the above and warrant consideration for the "elite" tag)

Stafford, Newton, Vick, Rivers, Romo (these guys have some but are lacking in some areas...any one could make the leap, well, except Romo)

You begged for an Encore :wave:

leave now, your bit is old and tired...

:wave:

Depends on what you consider elite. I would still much rather have Brady or Brees over him, but I would take him in the next wave of options.

So I guess that is a "yes." :dunno:

Top tier - Brady, P. Manning, Brees, Rodgers

2nd tier - Big Ben and Eli

Rivers slipped out of the 2nd tier this year. I would rank big Ben higher than Eli.

:thumbsup:

Voted no. It's just tough to believe he can carry a team by himself and has continued to prove he's not quite there yet this year. He got swept by the Redskins this year and shut down by the Saints' defense. Losses against the 49ers and Packers are somewhat excusable since SF has a great D and the GB game was close. I think he's on the cusp of being considered elite and that a second Superbowl victory would have to cement him in that tier, especially with his awesome WR corps and more so if the Giants can resign Manningham and Ballard for next year. Going to be tough to do that with a ring on their fingers though.

He is a tier or two below.

Same tier as Romo, but Romo is beneath him.

Both are too mental, Eli has had better end of season runs.

Nothing wrong with this, you don't have to be Elite and HOF bound to be enough to get a ring(s).

NFL is a team game afterall. Is evident by this post season. Those comprise of teams are still in the hunt.

That stated, I am still surprised GB didn't win.

Romo has improved every year, so that's false. I do believe Eli > Romo, but if Eli were the QB of the Cowboys, we'd have about 6 wins this season. Romo's a better fit in Dallas because of his scrambling ability and needing to maneuver in the pocket. Eli's good, but he's at his best when given time. Romo seems best when he's on the run. But like I said, I believe Eli and Romo are tier 2, but Eli Manning is the best in the tier 2 category!

Brees and Rodgers are both out...Eli isn't. Unless you're a homer, there's no freakin way you can even mention Romo in the same sentence as Eli. Hell, Eli has already exceeded Romo's career playoff wins...IN ONLY THE FIRST 2 WEEKS OF THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR!

In all seriousness...it depends on the criteria. Regular season success? Regular season stats? Playoff success? Playoff stats? Superbowls? Accounting for all of it:

Brady, Roethlisberger, Brees, Rodgers, Eli, Peyton (these guys all have some if not all of the above and warrant consideration for the "elite" tag)

Stafford, Newton, Vick, Rivers, Romo (these guys have some but are lacking in some areas...any one could make the leap, well, except Romo)

Ben Roth elite???? :D Thanks for the laugh. Just because a Qb is clutch doesn't make him elite. Elite QBs can win with a mediocre defense. No QB can win with a horrible defense. Ben doesn't win with a mediocre defense. Before you get your butt hurt, I'd put Ben > Romo.

The Giants could have drafted Big Ben where they drafted Rivers. But they didn't want Big Ben .... they wanted Eli. I'm convinced they tanked the last 6 games the season before to move up in draft picks. I mean, they were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs by week 10 ... why win any more games? They made it known they wanted Eli, but SD played hardball ... drafted him anyway, NY countered by drafting Rivers ... who ... maybe was/maybe wasn't, maybe is/maybe isn't, better than Rapistburger and then traded Rivers for Eli.

It's gonna be a tough trivia question for future generations, "What team drafted Eli Manning with the #1 overall pick?"

The San Diego Chargers.

And FWIW, I posted here ... about that week 10 mark when the Giants couldn't make the playoffs ... predicted they would lose out and get Manning. Yep ... everyone laughed at me ... some other Giants fans got really mad at me, cause I predicted my own team wasn't gonna win another game that year. Or they were just Kerry Collins fans.

Anyhooo .... yup. I predicted it, right here. Might even be some people around here that remember reading those threads. I took a LOT of flack over that. Where's all the Eli haters now? See what I mean? 1 season. We need 1 season where we really suck, and can negotiate for a prodigy type QB that can be the future. Giants fans hated the Phil Simms pick too, but the Giants needed to do that. They needed to draft the QB they felt best fits the New York Giants .... and that was Eli Manning. The Patriots, that Superbowl .... he was so clutch. And Coughlin coached it so well. He made them play our game ... so to speak. Same way the Giants beat Green Bay this year. Control the clock. Be opportunistic. Wear down the defense with a running game that delivers hits instead of taking them. Never let the foot off their neck. Might not make for a spectacular ending ... but it wins.

I can't tell you, how nice it must be for a QB to have a guy in his backfield that can do this to one of the best LBs in the league:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Kw8Nsc-bs

I think the Giants will hafta make a deal with him to stay at least 2 more years. You can't replace that. Ask any NFL defender who the last guy they want to try and tackle is ... Brandon Jacobs. It makes the job, of the "lightning" style back easier ... the Giants have been doing it since "Little" Joe Morris and Ottis Anderson.

You never heard of Ottis Anderson? The other OJ? Man ... he was rarely good for more than 5 yards ... but when you needed 1 ... nobody could stop him. His stats may not be impressive ... but that style running game isn't meant for building fantasy football stats for running backs.

The Giants haven't really had an all purpose back since Rodney Hampton.

And FWIW, I posted here ... about that week 10 mark when the Giants couldn't make the playoffs ... predicted they would lose out and get Manning. Yep ... everyone laughed at me ... some other Giants fans got really mad at me, cause I predicted my own team wasn't gonna win another game that year. Or they were just Kerry Collins fans.

at the risk of getting hammered by the bored for feeding the animals, I've noticed you have an incredibly uncanny accuracy with your predictions that you can never back up by producing the actual prediction. In spirit of GFIAFP and his predictions, I give you:

jgcrawfish (august, 1969) - "I predict we will have a man on the moon in less than a year."

jgcrawfish (1981 while watching "Bosom Buddies") - "Man, this Tom Hanks guy is a really good actor. I predict he'll win multiple Oscars someday"

jgcrawfish (september 01) - "I predict firefighters will be saved by GFIAFP"

and one for the road:

jgcrawfish (1/2012) - "I predict the Dallas Cowboys will never win a Superbowl while Romo is their QB"