Sign in to follow this  
Gepetto

Miami Dolphins hire new head coach

http://www.thephinsider.com/

The Miami Dolphins ended their head coach search today, hiring former Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin to take the reins of the team. Philbin beat out the Dolphins' interim head coach Todd Bowles and Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy for the position.

The hiring of Philbin has been reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter and Fox's Jay Glazer.

Philbin began his coaching career with Tulane as a graduate assistant in 1984. In 1986, he moved to the Worcester Polytechnic Institute as the offensive line coach. Two years later, he took the same position with the United States Merchant Marine Academy.

From 1990-1993, Philbin was the offensive line coach and coordinator for Allegheny College before spending 1994 with Ohio University as their offensive line coach. The next two years saw Philbin serve as the offensive line coach and coordinator for Northeastern, before moving to the same job with Harvard for the 1997-1998 seasons. He concluded his college coaching career at Oowa, where he was the offensive line coach from 1999-2002.

In 2003, Philbin was hired by the Green Bay Packers as an assistant offensive line coach. From 2004-2005, he added the tight ends coach to his job title, before taking over as the offensive line coach in 2006. Since 2007, Philbin has served as the offensive coordinator for the Packers.

During his time as the Packers offensive coordinator, Philbin has seen the Packers offense ranked in the top ten of the league every year.

Philbin first interviewed with the Dolphins on January 7th, only to have his 21-year-old son, Michael, go missing in the early morning hours on the 8th. On Monday, January 9th, Michael's body was recovered from the Fox River in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

Philbin is the tenth head coach in Miami Dolphins history.

Matt Flynn?

Can you say ok? I don't even think the Pack will put up too much of an effort to keep Flynn from his well deserved payday. I really like that Philbin gets a fresh start in MIA after the tragedy. Best of luck fins - it would do football a world of good to see you back in the playoffs.

IF they land Flynn I'm drafting Marshall in every league next year.

If they don't push hard for Flynn, then you know he ismt worth it because his own OC won't even take him

Dolphins HC is a good job, but I wouldn't sacrifice my first born son or anything.

Damn...

Dolphins HC is a good job, but I wouldn't sacrifice my first born son or anything.

You're going to hell. :nono:

And so am I. :unsure: :o :lol: :lock:

I am glad we hired him over the other options out there. Jeff Fisher was overrated I believe. The guy was not in the playoffs all that often. He was what 150-120? He was good but far from great.

People are killing me with this Matt Flynn hype. Saw almost every game of his at LSU unless he has totally changed he's just an average QB.

This guy won't last. He'll go through the motions but nothing will come of it. Just another coordinator that will be way over his head.

I don't know how anyone can do it.

The guy just lost his son 3 weeks ago and can go to interviews and take a job like this?

I don't understand NFL coaches or at least some of them. You can't even lead a family and your child but you expect to lead a team of grown men? Joe Philbin need to look himself in the mirror and get real.

This guy won't last. He'll go through the motions but nothing will come of it. Just another coordinator that will be way over his head.

Jep - won't take long before they figure out Rodgers didn't come with him.

The guy just lost his son 3 weeks ago and can go to interviews and take a job like this?

I don't understand NFL coaches or at least some of them. You can't even lead a family and your child but you expect to lead a team of grown men? Joe Philbin need to look himself in the mirror and get real.

What is the proper grieving period for a lost child and how should one grieve?

I dunno, I'm sure it wasn't easy, but what's the guy supposed to do? Hole up in his house for months? Turn down his dream of being a head coach in the NFL for...for what, exactly? What else can he do but go on living his life?

Forget "Skinny"...your a COLD Bastard.

What is the proper grieving period for a lost child and how should one grieve?

3 halfs and a quarter. :banana:

I dunno, I'm sure it wasn't easy, but what's the guy supposed to do? Hole up in his house for months? Turn down his dream of being a head coach in the NFL for...for what, exactly? What else can he do but go on living his life?

The lost of his son isn't about him.

What about his grieving wife? What about his other grieving children? What about trying to figure out what caused the death of his child. My gosh. I have 2 kids and the thought of losing them sent a chill down my spine.

Instead, he is interviewing for jobs and now preparing to be head coach of the Miami Dolphins.

He interviewed for the Miami job the day before his son died. After that, he was offered the job. His living son told him that the son that died would want him to take the job.

Here's a prediction.

Dolphins will win less than 5 games next season and they will find another head coach for 2013.

And nobody will be happier about this then you. Get a life. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

He interviewed for the Miami job the day before his son died. After that, he was offered the job. His living son told him that the son that died would want him to take the job.

He interviewed for the Tampa Bay position and also went back for a 2nd interview with Miami after his son passed away.

"His living son told him that the son that died would want him to take the job."

Really? Where did you see this? Making chit up.

And nobody will be happier about this then you. Get a life. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Calling it as i see it. I'm just disappointed how some of these head coaches have trouble running their own families.

Just to name a few other:

Andy Reid - His crack head kid

Tony Dungy - Son killed himself

The lost of his son isn't about him.

What about his grieving wife? What about his other grieving children? What about trying to figure out what caused the death of his child. My gosh. I have 2 kids and the thought of losing them sent a chill down my spine.

Instead, he is interviewing for jobs and now preparing to be head coach of the Miami Dolphins.

I will ask again - What is the proper grieving period for a lost child and how should one grieve?

I will ask again - What is the proper grieving period for a lost child and how should one grieve?

I really don't know, but it certainly isn't 1-2 weeks.

Calling it as i see it. I'm just disappointed how some of these head coaches have trouble running their own families.

Just to name a few other:

Andy Reid - His crack head kid

Tony Dungy - Son killed himself

I am thinking your looking for shock value with this statement but I will reply just the same. I can tell you first hand that in some cases there is nothing you can do. If your kid is going to be a crack addict, or a smoker, or an alcoholic, etc etc etc then that is what your kid is going to be. Certainly in some cases what you do or did can push a person towards that type of action but unless you have first hand knowledge that Andy Reid or Tony Dungy did somehting specific then your just talkin out you arse.

He interviewed for the Tampa Bay position and also went back for a 2nd interview with Miami after his son passed away.

"His living son told him that the son that died would want him to take the job."

Really? Where did you see this? Making chit up.

NFL Network - it was video from Philbin's own mouth when he was introduced as Miami's coach. dumbsh!t

I really don't know, but it certainly isn't 1-2 weeks.

Right, you haven't been there so you have no right to say anything.

Right, you haven't been there so you have no right to say anything.

What you talking about? This is America, I have every right to voice my opinion.

What you talking about? This is America, I have every right to voice my opinion.

and criticizing a man who just lost a child is how you use this right?