Sign in to follow this  
ZeroTolerance

Colts To Let Manning Walk

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7653897/sources-indianapolis-colts-part-peyton-manning-wednesday

Peyton Manning's 14-year career as a member of the Indianapolis Colts is coming to an end.

Sources close to the team told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that the announcement will come at a news conference in Indianapolis on Wednesday with both Manning and owner Jim Irsay in attendance.

The decision to pass on the $28 million bonus owed Manning and not to pick up the four remaining years on his contract means Manning will become a free agent, and sources told Mortensen that he intends to continue to play.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7653897/sources-indianapolis-colts-part-peyton-manning-wednesday

Peyton Manning's 14-year career as a member of the Indianapolis Colts is coming to an end.

Sources close to the team told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that the announcement will come at a news conference in Indianapolis on Wednesday with both Manning and owner Jim Irsay in attendance.

The decision to pass on the $28 million bonus owed Manning and not to pick up the four remaining years on his contract means Manning will become a free agent, and sources told Mortensen that he intends to continue to play.

Still seems weird to me, so surreal.

Still seems weird to me, so surreal.

Yep, never pictured him anywhere else. Hopefully this won't be an Emmit Smith situation and he still has something left.

Yep, never pictured him anywhere else. Hopefully this won't be an Emmit Smith situation and he still has something left.

This could very well be a Kurt Warner situation.

What are some possibilities?

Jets? This would be funny on all kinds of levels and I pray this happens.

Miami-I like this fit myself

Seattle-Hey I can dream

Arizona-I guess but I think he gets paralyzed behind that O-line

Jacksonville-Why would he? they need way too much help

Bengals-I kind of like this fit but you might stunt Daltons growth, not worth it

Raiders-they are certifiably nuts so who knows

KC-would be a decent fit actually

Vikings? Not sure anyone views them as contenders but it would help Ponder a ton

Detroit for when Stafford gets knocked out, Manning could come in like Roger Clemens used to for the last couple years of his career for the playoffs!

Texans-when they realize Schuab kind of really sucks...and I would trade Tavaris Jackson for him in a heart beat!

Anybody else to throw in the mix? I know I am missing someone's team.

I think San Francisco would be a good fit, especially if Reggie Wayne would tag along. I'm not sure what SF's cap situation is and how committed internally they are to Alex Smith... I'm trying to take my KC homerism out of this but if I'm Manning, I would think KC and SF would be the best overall fits, all things considered.

I'm thinking manning only cares about one thing at this point... winning another ring. With that in mind, I'd put the potential landing spots at...

1. Miami - This team showed something late last year. Marshall is a legit no. 1, and Bush + Manning = fun. Plus, you gotta figure he'd love to get the chance to punk Tom Brady in his own division.

2. Jax - If they get a reciever or two (like Wayne comes with him) this offense could be sneaky good. MJD is great, they have a good TE... and you know Peyton would love to pay the colts back a smack twice a year.

3. Arizona - good weather, hell, they'd probably close the dome if he asked them to. Winnable division if San Fran backslides.

4. Seattle - I find this one less likely. Not great weather, no real receivers... but possible. I don't think it would be particulary smart of this front office, as they appear to have a decent youth movement going up there, but it could happen.

5. San Fran - Don't know their cap situation, but this one is the surest path to a SB ring. Bring wayne too and its party time.

Don't see it happening

1. NYJ - I don't think he'd want to play in the weather, not to mention crash Eli's style in the big apple. Plus, they are a defense-running team. And I see Manning and Ryan mixing like cats and dogs.

2. Wash - Don't see him wanting to play in Eli's division, and square off twice a year.

3. Minn - Why sign on to the worst team in a stacked division?

I'm thinking manning only cares about one thing at this point... winning another ring. With that in mind, I'd put the potential landing spots at...

1. Miami - This team showed something late last year. Marshall is a legit no. 1, and Bush + Manning = fun. Plus, you gotta figure he'd love to get the chance to punk Tom Brady in his own division.

2. Jax - If they get a reciever or two (like Wayne comes with him) this offense could be sneaky good. MJD is great, they have a good TE... and you know Peyton would love to pay the colts back a smack twice a year.

3. Arizona - good weather, hell, they'd probably close the dome if he asked them to. Winnable division if San Fran backslides.

4. Seattle - I find this one less likely. Not great weather, no real receivers... but possible. I don't think it would be particulary smart of this front office, as they appear to have a decent youth movement going up there, but it could happen.

5. San Fran - Don't know their cap situation, but this one is the surest path to a SB ring. Bring wayne too and its party time.

Nice post! To add to this, or ask a question...which one of these teams has the best O-line and rushing attack?

SUPER BOWL RING ONLY...

Why Arizona? Is this team really able to contend with San Francisco? How good is the O-line, and Beannie the wiennie can't stay healthy.

Why Miami? Does this team have enough fire power to beat NE in the same division? Bush and Marshall and that's it. A nice start though. What about Miami's defense? How good are they?

Why S.F.? Wow, this would be scary good IMO. Defense - check, RB's - check, O-line? if Smith can do it, so can Manning. Is Crabtree and Vernon enough fire power along with Gore?

On paper to me, S.F. is the best place for a title IMO. Bring in Manning, Wayne, + Crabtree and VD, with Gore and Hunter - - Very Nice!

No way this plays into it at all. You'll never see a situation this unique in our lifetime, and there was no easy/proper way of handling it. He's a stand up dude and digs this area. Hell, he has a hospital named after him here.

NFL network and local stations here are reporting the following teams all plan to contact Manning's agent.

The speculation about which teams will pursue Manning has been gaining steam for weeks, and that interest will soon become tangible. League sources have told La Canfora that the Arizona Cardinals, Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, Seattle Seahawks and Washington Redskins will all pursue Manning.

NFL network and local stations here are reporting the following teams all plan to contact Manning's agent.

The speculation about which teams will pursue Manning has been gaining steam for weeks, and that interest will soon become tangible. League sources have told La Canfora that the Arizona Cardinals, Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, Seattle Seahawks and Washington Redskins will all pursue Manning.

Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall of the probable meeting between Rex and Sanchez, where Rex says, "We never wanted Manning, you're my boy!"

SUPER BOWL RING ONLY...

Why Arizona? Is this team really able to contend with San Francisco? How good is the O-line, and Beannie the wiennie can't stay healthy.

Why Miami? Does this team have enough fire power to beat NE in the same division? Bush and Marshall and that's it. A nice start though. What about Miami's defense? How good are they?

Why S.F.? Wow, this would be scary good IMO. Defense - check, RB's - check, O-line? if Smith can do it, so can Manning. Is Crabtree and Vernon enough fire power along with Gore?

On paper to me, S.F. is the best place for a title IMO. Bring in Manning, Wayne, + Crabtree and VD, with Gore and Hunter - - Very Nice!

You are under-selling Miami and Arizona...

Arizona:

-Finished 7-2 over the final 9 games of the season. Those wins included beating Philadelphia, Dallas, San Fran, and Seattle.

-Nearly beat the New York Giants and Baltimore Ravens.

-Had HORRENDOUS QB play last season.

-Larry Fitzgerald. Enough said.

Do they have holes? Of course, but so does every team. They need to address their O-Line, and likely would need to add a 2nd weapon (Wayne, possibly a TE). But their D is legit, Fitzgerald is the best in the league, play in a dome, and they've been thru this before with Kurt Warner.

Miami:

-Finished 6-3 over the final 9 games of the season.

-Had below average QB play last season

-Brandon Marshall is a legit #1 WR.

-Devone Bess/Brian Hartline/Anthony Fasano are all capable receivers, particularly Bess out of the slot.

-Their Offensive Line is legit. They need an upgrade at RT, but any line with Jake Long and M. Pouncey has to be considered great. Consider the lines that Manning has played with in Indy - he got sacked 14 and 16 times in 2009/2010 behind one of THE WORST O-Lines in the league.

-Their Defense is also legit. They have one of the best CB-combos in the league (S. Smith, V. Davis), and have an elite pass rusher (C. Wake).

They need a 2nd pass-rusher, a legit #2 (either Wayne or an elite TE), and could stand an upgrade at RT.

Peyton Manning can win 10 games with a bad team. With the way Miami and Arizona finished the 2011 season, I'd have to believe either team would be SB contenders with Peyton Manning under center. Especially when you consider adding Reggie Wayne (or Garcon), possibly Jeff Saturday, and an incoming draft class.

Miami makes a lot of sense but I just can't see Manning in a Dolphins uniform. :dunno:

To be fair, I can't picture any self-respecting straight man wearing a teal shirt and a helmet with a smiling fish on it.

Truthfully, It will be weird as fock and sad to see Peyton in another uni.

To be fair, I can't picture any self-respecting straight man wearing a teal shirt and a helmet with a smiling fish on it.

:lol:

To expand on this.

I agree that the weather is lacking.

WRs they have. Sidney Rice, Big Mike Williams, Doug Baldwin, sevicable guys like Ben Obamanu, Ricardo Lockette, Golden Tate. And they are looking to add an impact WR through the draft of free agency. Don't forget that Manning loves to throw to his TE, and Seattle has Zach Miller, good chance to resign John Carlson, and tons of depth, probably the deep position on the team. Michael Robinson does a fine job as a FB catching the ball.

This is now year three of the rebuilding, and remarkably this team won a playoff game year one and was in the playoff chase until the final week of this season. With a star QB like Manning, this team with it's young and talented defense along with dominant running game with Lynch and the offensive line coached by Tom Cable, this team is the front runner in the NFC West and a serious contender. If you can win a title, even take a one year shot at it, maybe you do it. Baseball teams trade top minor league prospects for a veteran reliever or left handed spare bat to put them over the top all the time.

However, I do not think it will happen anyway. The youth movement is correct. Its moving in an extremely positive direction. Why bring in an expensive, potentially fragile older QB for a brief run at a title is the flip side to the previous argument of taking a brief shot at the title, changing the youth chemistry forever. I think Manning needs a docile head coach, one he can manipulate in his own direction. I think Carroll has too much personality to mesh with Manning. The offensive line was jelling and making room for Lynch to run last year. But it's a zone block scheme set in place by Tom Cable. For Manning, you'd have to scrap that and go to a max protect scheme. Which changes the playbook completely, what with all the roll outs that the current Seattle offense uses frequently. Manning wants to call his own plays. Do you change the entire offense completely for him. I don't know. Seattle has plenty of money under the cap. But they keep emphasizing that QB is not the biggest need on this team; it was acknowledged finally that the D-line is, specifically pass rush. It would make more sense to spend the cash Manning would want on a Mario Williams or some of the LBs about to hit the market.

Montana part II

Welcome to KC Peyton.

I think it makes just as much sense as either Miami or Arizona.

I don't see him going to a NFC team and competing for a Super Bowl slot vs Eli and the road to the playoffs would be infinitely easier in the AFC West than the AFC East for the next couple of years.

Bowe is certainly no Fitz, but is still a quality WR. Moeaki is a better TE than anyone on the Arizona or Miami roster. Charles with a full year post ACL, a comparable OL to Miami (both better than Arizona and I assume both will address their RT issues), and a top 15 defense to get him the ball.

I love the juice this is going to add for the next few weeks of the off season. It will be a nice bridge into the draft.

If all he really wants to do is win then you have to think it would be San Francsico or the Ravens and he takes less to play there. As a Seahawks homer I absolutely dread the thought of Manning signing with San Francisco.

Montana part II

Welcome to KC Peyton.

I think it makes just as much sense as either Miami or Arizona.

I don't see him going to a NFC team and competing for a Super Bowl slot vs Eli and the road to the playoffs would be infinitely easier in the AFC West than the AFC East for the next couple of years.

Bowe is certainly no Fitz, but is still a quality WR. Moeaki is a better TE than anyone on the Arizona or Miami roster. Charles with a full year post ACL, a comparable OL to Miami (both better than Arizona and I assume both will address their RT issues), and a top 15 defense to get him the ball.

KC makes sense. Good D, winnable division, possible all stars at WR and RB if Charles get's healthy.

KC makes sense. Good D, winnable division, possible all stars at WR and RB if Charles get's healthy.

The knock on the Chiefs have nothing to do with the talent on the field. It's playing outdoors, playing for a coach with a not very good record as a HC, and wondering what type of relationship Manning and Pioli will have.

It has to be painfully obvious that if the #1 motivating factor is not money, he will definitely go to Arizona.

He can continue to play in a controlled environment (no way he plays all season in the cold and bad weather) and he gets to play with a big time WR (no way he plays with stiff WR's, he needs help to pad his stats).

He is nuts to not go to Arizona......unless $15M is not enough and he needs to make $25M.

Bay Area homer here... I agree that Manning (and Wayne) would be outstanding fits for SF. However, it seems like a long shot, in part, because Harbaugh seems too loyal to Alex Smith.

If SF doesn't do something like bring in Mike Wallace or Manning, I don't think they'll win a title next year. No way. I hope the front office has the stones to make one of those two moves for the sake of 49er fans.

Don't forget Green Akers

:pointstosky:

It has to be painfully obvious that if the #1 motivating factor is not money, he will definitely go to Arizona.

He can continue to play in a controlled environment (no way he plays all season in the cold and bad weather) and he gets to play with a big time WR (no way he plays with stiff WR's, he needs help to pad his stats).

He is nuts to not go to Arizona......unless $15M is not enough and he needs to make $25M.

Yes, because he clearly relied on Jacob Tamme, Pierre Garcon, and Blair White to pad his stats in 2010.

Not to mention a horrific OLine, no running game, and an incompetent Head Coach.

You're right, this guy clearly needs to rely on others to be successful...

Don't count out the Eagles. You heard it here first.

I heard it in the Daily News a few weeks ago but I'm not buying it. What do the Eagles do with Vick then? Backup and wildcat formations?

The Eagles make no sense for some reasons but the main one is that Peyton isn't going in division of his brother, maybe even conference, let alone, to the biggest rival they have.

I see Miami, Ari or Seattle being the landing spots. Houston and SF would be number 1, if they didn't already have a QB invested, but if one of those teams were to dump who they had, Manning would fit with either of those teams and most likely be MVP next year, Come back player next year and SB MVP.

Manning to pick team within the next week...

ESPN Link

Peyton Manning's camp is aiming to make a decision on where he will play next season within the next week, according to sources, who add that while Manning prefers to stay in the AFC, he is open to playing in the NFC.

Sources say 12 teams reached out to Peyton Manning's representatives on Wednesday, after he was released, to gauge his interest in playing for their teams. Many of the teams already have been publicized, but some inevitably will want to keep it secret.

Of those 12 teams, sources tell ESPN that the Arizona Cardinals, Seattle Seahawks, Washington Redskins, Miami Dolphins, Kansas City Chiefs, Denver Broncos and New York Jets have actually been in contact with Manning's representatives.

Manning to pick team within the next week...

ESPN Link

Peyton Manning's camp is aiming to make a decision on where he will play next season within the next week, according to sources, who add that while Manning prefers to stay in the AFC, he is open to playing in the NFC.

Sources say 12 teams reached out to Peyton Manning's representatives on Wednesday, after he was released, to gauge his interest in playing for their teams. Many of the teams already have been publicized, but some inevitably will want to keep it secret.

Of those 12 teams, sources tell ESPN that the Arizona Cardinals, Seattle Seahawks, Washington Redskins, Miami Dolphins, Kansas City Chiefs, Denver Broncos and New York Jets have actually been in contact with Manning's representatives.

AZ has nine days before they owe Kolb a roster bonus of $7 million.

end - of - an - era.

As a Pats fan, I'm sad to see Manning's time over in IND.

Michael Jordan belongs on the Bulls

Larry Bird belongs on the Celtics

Micky Mantle belongs on the Yankees

and Peyton Manning belongs on the Colts.

Peyton is going to sign where he gets the most guaranteed $$$$$. I heard he doesn't want to be a Redskin. I can't blame him either. I guess he doesnt want to be in Eli's division. My guess is Miami or Arizona.

AZ has nine days before they owe Kolb a roster bonus of $7 million.

Interesting.

I think he goes to Miami or Denver, but Arizona is certainly a possibility.

Peyton is going to sign where he gets the most guaranteed $$$$$. I heard he doesn't want to be a Redskin. I can't blame him either. I guess he doesnt want to be in Eli's division. My guess is Miami or Arizona.

Something tells me most guaranteed $$$$$ has nothing to do with this one.

Something tells me most guaranteed $$$$$ has nothing to do with this one.

I agree on this one. I think he goes where he can get :first: :first: #2 so his little brother can't talk sh!t at the Thanksgiving Table a few years from now.