Sign in to follow this  
BunnysBastatrds

Bounty Punishment Handed Out

You should be because your prediction was wildly off the mark.

They're pretty much giving one guy the death penalty and whacking a head coach for the year. Oh, and multiple draft picks. Player punishment hasn't been announced yet. This punishment was unprecedented in its scope and severity and your prediction wasn't close.

Payton, Loomis and Williams were hit very hard because ownership told them to make sure it wasn't happening and they failed. The NFL also said that punishment was so severe individually because it was clear the team tried to hide it during an ongoing investigation. This boils down to individual fines and a team that likely will finish in the top half of the league regardless losing losing two picks in the 45-60 range. It ain't that big a deal. They shoulda hit them with two first rounders IMO.

Way over the top and completely ridiculous.

Not a Saints fan but, this is absolutely absurd.

Payton, Loomis and Williams were hit very hard because ownership told them to make sure it wasn't happening and they failed. The NFL also said that punishment was so severe individually because it was clear the team tried to hide it during an ongoing investigation. This boils down to individual fines and a team that likely will finish in the top half of the league regardless losing losing two picks in the 45-60 range. It ain't that big a deal. They shoulda hit them with two first rounders IMO.

They lost their offensive play caller and HC in Payton, their top draft pick, and the player suspensions haven't hit yet. I don't share your idea of what a big deal is on this one. Not to mention they have to install a new defense this season under a new DC. After the player suspensions its gonna be a motley crew on defense and they can't rebuild through this draft with high picks.

Vilma has to be shaking in his boots right now.

You should be because your prediction was wildly off the mark.

They're pretty much giving one guy the death penalty and whacking a head coach for the year. Oh, and multiple draft picks. Player punishment hasn't been announced yet. This punishment was unprecedented in its scope and severity and your prediction wasn't close.

Wildly off the mark...lmao. You win this thread! :banana:

I think the NFL is doing this is in reaction to some lawsuits by ex players with concussion issues. They need to show that they are serious about cracking down on unnecessary cheap shots. Sounds pretty harsh. Brees can probably run the offense by himself though.

IMO Goodell feels that it is a matter of when, not it, they will get hit with a significant liability lawsuit due to player injuries. He absolutely cannot have management directly associated with things like bounties. Hence the big ban hammer.

Wildly off the mark...lmao. You win this thread! :banana:

You predicted 8 games for Williams. He was just told to pack his bags, don't call us, we'll call you. That's wildly off the mark. :cheers:

If Payton got an entire year, what do you think Williams is looking at? He should be looking at the NCAA because the message is he's done in the NFL.

Maybe now Mark Ingram will be fantasy relevant in 2012? Is Carmichael still the OC?

If he doesn't stub his toe...

I don't believe he has. I would expect him to miss off-season workouts to maintain leverage in long-term contract talks.

He hasn't signed it. If a deal doesn't get done, which might not be a problem anymore with Loomis out now, most are assuming the same thing. I have a feeling that Tom Benson is going to step in and take over the negotiating and give Brees whatever he wants. Brees is the only shining light of the franchise right now and Benson will do just about anything to save the team.

Sounds to me like the last team that got caught got killed.

I'm a Skins fan, so shouldn't the Skins also lose draft picks? If not, why are the Saints taking all the blame for this?

Goodell just doesn't seem consistent. He also seems out of touch with what football is.

St. Louis would lose the picks since they have all the Skins pick.

St. Louis would lose the picks since they have all the Skins pick.

HAHA. Good point.

That's why the Skins don't value draft picks. You trade picks so Goodell can't strip them from you. Brilliant!

Goodell didn't punish the Pats for cheating because he strongly believes in the motto, "if you're not cheating you're not trying."

So ridiculous, to a certain extent I'm sure bounties are given on a lot of NFL teams. See Suggs, Terrell publicly speaking of a bounty on Hines Ward and Rashard Mendenhall in 2008. In the very game Mendenhall had a season ending injury oh a hit by who else, Ray Lewis. Or Charles Martin, GB Packer in the 80s wearing towels with numbers of the other team on it totally visible to the public. Bounty Bowl in 1989 as well as other times Buddy Ryan has spoken publicly about bounties... Bounty Bowl II was complete with wanted posters and the offending players, with the bounty posted, as part of the network's pre-game opening. MAN, football has CHANGED.

Funny it comes out right after the Kris Dielman retirement story in which, "The 320-pound Dielman was staggered by the injury early in the fourth quarter against the Jets on Oct. 23.

He continued to play because the Chargers were out of offensive linemen due to other injuries. The team didn't diagnose his condition until after the game. Dielman suffered a grand mal seizure on the flight home. The team plane was met by an ambulance and he was hospitalized overnight."

I wonder if the Chargers will get penalized for clearly putting a concussed player back in the game.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/03/01/kris.dielman.retires.ap/index.html#ixzz1pnGmg0ma

Goodell is a terrible commissioner.

Has Brees signed his franchise tender yet?

Brees is NECK deep in this too. He and Payton are one. It wouldn't have bothered me if Payton got banned and Williams should be. What is shocking is neither guy has been fired yet???

When are RBs going to get flagged for lowering their helmuts at impact? When is Brandon Jacobs going to get flagged and fined for trucking someone? He's violently assaulting DBs out there and that's not what the NFL is all about.

Goodell is a clown.

There's a big difference between playing hard and smashing guys in the context of a play and intentionally targeting specific players for injury dude

Just read the official release from the league. Check out this little tidbit.

8. Coach Vitt said one of his primary roles was to monitor the activity of Coach Williams. This was based on the direction of Coach Payton, who apparently had less than full confidence in Coach Williams. Despite Coach Vitt's knowledge of the bounty program, his understanding of the terms "knock-out" and "cart-off," his witnessing Coach Williams handing out envelopes that he believed to contain cash, and his acknowledgement that the defensive meeting preceding the 2010 NFC Championship Game may have "got out of hand" with respect to Brett Favre, Coach Vitt claimed he never advised either Coach Payton or General Manager Mickey Loomis of the "pay-for-performance/bounty" program.

Kind of shady to employ someone to spy on their own boss.

There's a big difference between playing hard and smashing guys in the context of a play and intentionally targeting specific players for injury dude

But how can you tell what's happening on the field in terms of context? When a DE crushes a QB, how do you know he's not just crushing the QB? How can you find the big difference if the point of football for DEs it to target the QB and sometimes people get hurt. What if some defensive players always played to crush people regardless of bounty? Now they're suddenly guilty of playing the way they always have? Plus, no flags were thrown when players were smashing guys...because its football.

The punishment was so severe because Goodell has a huge ego and they hurt his feelings by lying. But I don't blame them for lying at all because they know Goodell is an a-hole who can create punishments out of thin air. You never know what you're going to get with Goodell since he makes it up with his imagination. He's got to be reigned in. No way will his contract get extended again. He's too scary if I'm an NFL owner.

Goodell didn't punish the Pats for cheating because he strongly believes in the motto, "if you're not cheating you're not trying."

So ridiculous, to a certain extent I'm sure bounties are given on a lot of NFL teams. See Suggs, Terrell publicly speaking of a bounty on Hines Ward and Rashard Mendenhall in 2008. In the very game Mendenhall had a season ending injury oh a hit by who else, Ray Lewis. Or Charles Martin, GB Packer in the 80s wearing towels with numbers of the other team on it totally visible to the public. Bounty Bowl in 1989 as well as other times Buddy Ryan has spoken publicly about bounties... Bounty Bowl II was complete with wanted posters and the offending players, with the bounty posted, as part of the network's pre-game opening. MAN, football has CHANGED.

Funny it comes out right after the Kris Dielman retirement story in which, "The 320-pound Dielman was staggered by the injury early in the fourth quarter against the Jets on Oct. 23.

He continued to play because the Chargers were out of offensive linemen due to other injuries. The team didn't diagnose his condition until after the game. Dielman suffered a grand mal seizure on the flight home. The team plane was met by an ambulance and he was hospitalized overnight."

I wonder if the Chargers will get penalized for clearly putting a concussed player back in the game.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz1pnGmg0ma

Goodell is a terrible commissioner.

Packers have always denied they had a bounty in the '80's. The cheap shotting puzzy Charles Martin was suspended for 2 games. Which at the time was the longest suspension ever handed down for something on the field. It's not like what he did was ignored.

I don't believe Buddy ever admitted he had any bounties. Jimmy Johnson just accused him of having them.

While they have been around for a long time bounties were never ignored by the NFL. While investigating if the Saints truly had a bounty system the NFL told them to stop if so. The Saints lied about having one and then continued employ one knowing the NFL was looking into it. That's why Goodell hammered them. If they admitted it and stopped it probably would have been just some meaningless fine.

That is extreme punishment in my opinion. However, I recall tackling drills from high school. Go in with your head up and wrap the guy up with your arms. Grab his legs, wrap him him. Nowadays, the technique of tackling has been replaced by the technique of self-launching.

To say the technique of tackling needs to change back to high school fundamentals is a bit of a simplification. The players in the nfl are so damn fast that if you take the time to break down and get into position to hit a guy with perfect form, the guy running at you is going to blow right by.

I do understand what you are saying about players that launch head to head like meriwether. It is needless and by not trying to adjust your style of play to new rules it creates even harsher restrictions.

In defense of the league they are involved in lawsuits from former players complaining they have not done enough to reduce injuries or at least acknowledge the significant impactsn players lives after football. Lawyers would have a field day if the league found out about bounties and did the bare minimum.

Packers have always denied they had a bounty in the '80's. The cheap shotting puzzy Charles Martin was suspended for 2 games. Which at the time was the longest suspension ever handed down for something on the field. It's not like what he did was ignored.

I don't believe Buddy ever admitted he had any bounties. Jimmy Johnson just accused him of having them.

While they have been around for a long time bounties were never ignored by the NFL. While investigating if the Saints truly had a bounty system the NFL told them to stop if so. The Saints lied about having one and then continued employ one knowing the NFL was looking into it. That's why Goodell hammered them. If they admitted it and stopped it probably would have been just some meaningless fine.

But the problem is, with Goodell and his arbitrary power and punishment creation, you never know what you're gonna get, which is a scary prospect. So I'd lie lie lie to Goodell all day. How is this guy surprised people are going to lie to him the way his dictatorship is set up?

Word in sports talk radio is this is not just a punishment solely for the bounties... It's also because they were warned bot to do it and it still occurred, and because Payton lied is some way to Goodell when asked about it.

Very harsh penalty, but I can see why so harsh with that theory in mind.

The thing to remember here...

The saints are not suffering this penalty for having bounties. As said ad nauseum, most teams have. The Skins and Titans did under Williams too.

The Saints are being punished for CONTINUTING to have bounties after being warned to stop, and then LYING about it when investigated.

You fock with daddy, you get smacked. Hate it for ya.

The thing to remember here...

The saints are not suffering this penalty for having bounties. As said ad nauseum, most teams have. The Skins and Titans did under Williams too.

The Saints are being punished for CONTINUTING to have bounties after being warned to stop, and then LYING about it when investigated.

You fock with daddy, you get smacked. Hate it for ya.

If you tell the truth to Goodell, he will still smite you unfairly. So, you are actually better off lying and trying to get away with it because telling the truth to Katrina Goodell means nothing.

If you tell the truth to Goodell, he will still smite you unfairly. So, you are actually better off lying and trying to get away with it because telling the truth to Katrina Goodell means nothing.

Agreed. The funny thing is, I think Goodell's ego is so big, he doesn't realize that every year he's being lied to by everyone all year long.

All the teams that signed his letter saying they weren't using some sort of bounty? 80% of them were likely lying too.

Goodell is a clown and he's created his own monster since his rulings are totally unregulated and made up based on his whimsy. Does he not realize he HAS TO BE LIED TO.

But how can you tell what's happening on the field in terms of context? When a DE crushes a QB, how do you know he's not just crushing the QB? How can you find the big difference if the point of football for DEs it to target the QB and sometimes people get hurt. What if some defensive players always played to crush people regardless of bounty? Now they're suddenly guilty of playing the way they always have? Plus, no flags were thrown when players were smashing guys...because its football.

The punishment was so severe because Goodell has a huge ego and they hurt his feelings by lying. But I don't blame them for lying at all because they know Goodell is an a-hole who can create punishments out of thin air. You never know what you're going to get with Goodell since he makes it up with his imagination. He's got to be reigned in. No way will his contract get extended again. He's too scary if I'm an NFL owner.

Agree on all points. Goddell is a focking waste of semen. I dunno what his problem is but hes slowly but surely changing the game for the worse. Games in London, adding teams to an already watered-down talent pool, no more kickoffs, cant touch QBs, cant hit anyone, games to be played Tuesday afternoon & Wednesday evening, etc, etc. Can someone just "whack" this guy? Just die already. :thumbsdown:

How do the Saints season ticket holders not file a class-action lawsuit? I wouldnt pay for nuttin this year since they just shut our whole team down for the year and maybe even worse. What are the financial implications of this ruling to the Saints? Geesh.....