Sign in to follow this  
onejayhawk

Handcuff RB

We are talking the Jacquizz Rogers of the football world. Atlanta has a solid running game, and a schedule that dictates that they use it. HOwever, Turner has some real mileage. When I drafted him, Q became an obvious move. After the draft, my K went to the WW pool, and Q was in house.

The guy drafting Fred Jackson was not so lucky. He did not take CJ Spiller coming back, and never got another chance.

How do you feel about handcuffs?

Do they work?

Are they worth the cost?

How many will you take?

Do you snipe other manager's backups?

Do you target them for your bench?

Is the reverse true (eg Reshard Mendenhall)?

What about other positions (eg QB2 in a 2 QB league)?

J

We are talking the Jacquizz Rogers of the football world. Atlanta has a solid running game, and a schedule that dictates that they use it. HOwever, Turner has some real mileage. When I drafted him, Q became an obvious move. After the draft, my K went to the WW pool, and Q was in house.

The guy drafting Fred Jackson was not so lucky. He did not take CJ Spiller coming back, and never got another chance.

How do you feel about handcuffs?

Do they work?

Are they worth the cost?

How many will you take?

Do you snipe other manager's backups?

Do you target them for your bench?

Is the reverse true (eg Reshard Mendenhall)?

What about other positions (eg QB2 in a 2 QB league)?

J

Ben Tate.

Peyton Hillis.

Jon Stewart.

I handcuff or steal back that have start ability in a pinch and stud ability if the starter goes down.

Ben Tate.

Peyton Hillis.

Jon Stewart.

I handcuff or steal back that have start ability in a pinch and stud ability if the starter goes down.

I'd add to those:

M. Bush

R. Jennings

T. Gerhart

D. Wilson

R. Turbin

And lastly, someone from one of these combinations:

Mendenhall/Dwyer>>>Redman

Taiwan, Goodson>>>DMAC

I would add Ryan Williams but I think he will beat Beanie straight out for the top gig in camp and Pre season.

From another thread.

Rashad Jennings-- Love Jennings in a "snipe the MJD owner" a round early kind of way. But, a healthy MJD means a wasted Jennings pick, so, probably not.

Ben Tate- Target Ben Tate. Even if Foster stays healthy, Tate will probably end in the top 25 with the Texans run heavy approach and his overall talent level (which some argue is even greater than that of Foster). If Foster goes down, you have a sure-fire top 5 guy on your roster at bargain basement prices. He will be on many of my teams, and Foster will likely not be on any.

I would add Ryan Williams but I think he will beat Beanie straight out for the top gig in camp and Pre season.

Agreed wholeheartedly. MFL ADP calculator has him going around pick 123. That's amazing. In the 10th round, you could do A LOT worse than getting a potential starting running back. But, like you said, training camp and pre-season should lock him into the starting gig.

Taiwan, Goodson>>>DMAC

I seem to be one of the very few that see Marcel Reece as the handcuff to own. He is much more talented than jones or goodson. Reece could turn into one of the next backup rbs that people hope goes to a situation where he can flourish. He may already be in that position if Mcfadden goes down again.

I seem to be one of the very few that see Marcel Reece as the handcuff to own. He is much more talented than jones or goodson. Reece could turn into one of the next backup rbs that people hope goes to a situation where he can flourish. He may already be in that position if Mcfadden goes down again.

I agree here. Reece is an intriguing possibility if he ends up being the one to take the carries if/when DMC goes down. Their new OC Knapp has had led past offenses to seven top 5 seasons in rushing attempts so they are going to run the ball regardless of who is in the backfield. His size/speed combo could lead Knapp to go with him over Goodson. This is definitely something to monitor once camp opens and preseason begins.

Tate and Gerhart are golden handcuffs. I'd also make sure to draft Jaqcuizz (sp?!?!?) Rodgers, even if you don't draft Turner (had a nice season but looked sloooooooow last year).

Lynch's possible suspension throws the Seattle backfield into chaos. Turbin should be the main guy (unless he sucks in camp) during the suspension with Leon Washington providing 3rd down and change of pace work. Turbin should go back to being just a backup when Lynch returns.

I'm loving Mike Goodson and Shane Vereen late. Vereen especially.

Alex Green from Green Bay?? I think he is the back up

Ryan Grant?

Cedric Benson should sign somewhere

Timmy Hightower will play and have some good fantasy games

Bryan Powell - Jets

Williams isn't a full time back IMO

Lamichael James wasn't drafted 61st to take a back seat to Kendall Hunter. The wheels could come off of Gore any day now.

Alex Green from Green Bay?? I think he is the back up

Ryan Grant?

Cedric Benson should sign somewhere

Timmy Hightower will play and have some good fantasy games

Bryan Powell - Jets

Hightower was slow and averaged 3.8 painful to watch yards last year. Now he is rehabbing from an acl tear that isn't even close to a year removed. I just don't see him putting up numbers that are really going to help your fantasy team. If anything I see Hightower as a late season ww pickup because that is where he will probably be until his knee has more time to recover and he can get back to his blistering 3.8 yds per carry.

with demarco murray's injury history and DAL's increasing size inside, i think felix jones has to be rostered.

I don't really handcuff, but I do steal other people'e handcuffs.

I won a league back in the day letting Larry Johnson ride the pine all year while priest holmes tore it up. I offered him to the priest owner several times, but he always declined to pay my price.

After one week of larry curbstomping people (I think it was like week 12 of that season) he wrote me "Ok... what do you want for Larry, I'll pay it."

I wrote back "At this point, your whole roster isn't worth Larry" (his team really blew.

Hightower was slow and averaged 3.8 painful to watch yards last year. Now he is rehabbing from an acl tear that isn't even close to a year removed. I just don't see him putting up numbers that are really going to help your fantasy team. If anything I see Hightower as a late season ww pickup because that is where he will probably be until his knee has more time to recover and he can get back to his blistering 3.8 yds per carry.

Skins lifer here.

100% agree with you. In fact, I don't think I want Hightower if he was the only RB on the Redskin's roster.

Skins lifer here.

100% agree with you. In fact, I don't think I want Hightower if he was the only RB on the Redskin's roster.

Does this mean Royster is the guy? Couple good games to finish the season

I think the only decent hand cuff options this year are Ben Tate and Michael Bush. If Mark Ingram can stay healthy he may not be a sleeper. Since Sproles is really the top fantasy RB yet Ingram could get the bulk of the carries and the TDs.

Does this mean Royster is the guy? Couple good games to finish the season

You forget about the helumonster? Royster will have 2 good games an either suck or be injured the rest.

i have a pretty strong opinion on handcuffs.

I almost never handcuff a RB of mine. My reasoning is that if I draft the starter high enough, I am obviously banking on them to succeed and I can't bring myself to use another highish pick to essentially own 1 starter. This is why if i draft Fred Jackson, I wont be owning CJ Cpiller. Yes, it's at my own risk but again, if im drafting Jackson in the first place, there is a reason I'm doing so.

In the June mock I did select Toby Gerhart as a handcuff to Adrian Peterson which is against my stated logic, however I selected Peterson completely as a shot in the dark in a free mock draft knowing he is a top 5 talent if healthy. It's not a pick I would have ever made in a real, money league. Also, I managed to get Gerhart at a very good price. I was set to not take him, assuming someone would "vulture" him earlier. It never happened and the timing made sense.

Now on the other hand, there are times where I will draft other owners handcuffs but this is not necessarily to block them. Its more that I genuinely think the "handcuff" will end up as the starter. A prime example for 2012 is Daniel Thomas. I simply do not trust Reggie Bush and won't draft him in the 4th or 5th round. Durability has always been a concern and the investment made in Thomas as a second rounder last year is too much to give up on him after 1 season. I like him in round 9+

I dont set out to handcuff my running backs. If I can get fair value sure, and take them where I would if I didn't own the starter, but Im not gonna reach.

As an example I own Forte in our Zealots ppr league. Bush went in the 6th after I took my wr 3 Stevie Johnson. Wasnt even a consideration at that pick.. I happily grabbed Best and Ridley later.

Id rather have upside, possilbe week 1 flex guys than someone eating up a roster space, who unless for an injury, is a 10 carry pray for a td play.

Hightower was a nice flex play early last year. Helu has more sizzle and Royster has some shake, but Hightower has Shanahan's trust. By all means don't overestimate Hightower's potential: He's a plodder with soft hands and better than average blitz pickups skills. I still think he'll put up law firm numbers in WAS if healthy this year. At about 4-5 rounds after BJGE is going. There's value to be had there.

i have a pretty strong opinion on handcuffs.

I almost never handcuff a RB of mine. My reasoning is that if I draft the starter high enough, I am obviously banking on them to succeed and I can't bring myself to use another highish pick to essentially own 1 starter. This is why if i draft Fred Jackson, I wont be owning CJ Cpiller. Yes, it's at my own risk but again, if im drafting Jackson in the first place, there is a reason I'm doing so.

In general, I agree with your opinion on handcuffs. I don't ever "reach" to secure a handcuff. But once the top 30-35 RB's are taken, I may choose to take a handcuff if the opportunity presents itself and I feel they are one of the best players available. I think a Peterson owner this year would be wise to draft Gerhart. But unless Peterson is falling to the 3rd round, I don't think I'll be owning him. I think he is too big of a risk, and I would avoid feeling like I need to reach for his handcuff.

In the FFToday members mock, I did take both Fred Jackson in the 3rd round and CJ Spiller in the 7th round. But this wasn't a handcuff situation. In PPR leagues, I think Spiller could be worthy of a flex play even with Fred Jackson on the field. At the point I took him, I thought Spiller was the best player available.

Depends on the cost. I most likely won't until around 9th round on.

I may change my mind though - I had Best & Felix last year & it completely screwed me (add Hightower too, but I had Helu. Not saying much huh?)

Depends on the cost. I most likely won't until around 9th round on.

I may change my mind though - I had Best & Felix last year & it completely screwed me (add Hightower too, but I had Helu. Not saying much huh?)

Reminds me of my team that had CJ2K, Felix, Hightower and McGahee going into the season.

I won the best draft award but needless to say it didn't end well.

It's like we're in parallel universes Matt. I took CJ with the 6th pick last year then added Felix and Hightower later in the draft. Picked up McGahee off waivers early. That dog just wouldn't hunt...

Don't leave out Pead if you draft Steven Jackson. Jackson will miss time, as he always does. The more important thing though is Jackson will need to be spelled frequently. Last season we tried to give him every third series off, but couldn't do it because the rest of the RB's were ineffective. Pead is a nice WR out of the backfield and has some speed. I don't predict he will ever be starter worthy, but if you take Jackson, I think he's a must.

I don't really handcuff, but I do steal other people'e handcuffs.

I won a league back in the day letting Larry Johnson ride the pine all year while priest holmes tore it up. I offered him to the priest owner several times, but he always declined to pay my price.

After one week of larry curbstomping people (I think it was like week 12 of that season) he wrote me "Ok... what do you want for Larry, I'll pay it."

I wrote back "At this point, your whole roster isn't worth Larry" (his team really blew.

I had the LJ Golden Ticket that year as well. Stories like that are few and far between though. Guys like Tate and J Stewart could do it, but not sure how many others.

I had the LJ Golden Ticket that year as well. Stories like that are few and far between though. Guys like Tate and J Stewart could do it, but not sure how many others.

There is usually one guy every year.

Not that few and not that far between.

There is usually one guy every year.

Not that few and not that far between.

Um....no. Go back and look at Larry Johnson's stats in 2005 from week 9-17. Then come back and tell me again that there is one guy like that every year.

Um....no. Go back and look at Larry Johnson's stats in 2005 from week 9-17. Then come back and tell me again that there is one guy like that every year.

OK maybe not LJ like, but every year there is one RB that comes out of nowhere (usually undrafted) to help someone win the league down the stretch. Roy Helu was sort of that guy last year

Only if its a top 3 RB with an talented player behind him. You are still stocking your team with talented upside guys through round 5-10 thats wasted ADP on a handcuff and a wasted bench spot too. Hell I would usually rather go after my deep sleepers after round 11 anyways, but its your team and if it helps you sleep at night...grow some balls :overhead: All in fun!

I will if I can at a good price - and sx I'll trade another players backup for a backup of my own - I find that stockpiling others' handcuffs is usually a waste of time

I will add that last year I carried as many as 9 rbs and was able to upgrade wr and qb by trading rbs to injury depleted teams