Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Trent Richardson already missing time

News: Cleveland running back Trent Richardson may miss his first preseason game Friday at Detroit as concern is starting to build around his sore left knee. The highly regarded rookie was not in pads with his left leg wrapped and did not participate in practice at all on Tuesday. "There's a chance he won't play on Friday," coach Pat Shurmur said. "He's got a sore knee and is being evaluated." Richardson's issue could stem from the arthroscopic surgery he had in February to repair a torn meniscus. "It was a little scope," Richardson said at the time. "I don't even call it a setback."

Analysis: Richardson's procedure was one of the reasons he did not fully participate in the NFL combine in April. However, that didn't keep Cleveland from trading up to No. 3 in the draft and giving him a four-year, $20.5 million contract. But now there is slight concern, especially after his early positive reviews in camp. Richardson is poised for a heavy workload in his rookie season and could push 300 carries as the Browns lack quality reserve options. He should be targeted as a No.1 Fantasy running back with a pick beginning early in the second round -- as long as he's healthy. From Cbssports.com

Uh oh. Could last years rookie RB injury woes happen again this year?

This has something that could linger written all over it. It could officially stamp Cleveland as a fantasy wasteland 2 years in a row now. I will be watching closely, but if they keep holding him out of contact then I will steer clear. The guy is already unproven, and now you have no idea if his knee is going to hold up after a few games of what could be 25-30 carries. Factor in the rookie wall, and somebody else can hang their hat on him in the 1st round.

Pretty bummed. I was so excited to see him play. The last thing I want to deal with on draft day is another injury questionable RB. Hopefully this is a "just being super ultra cautious" type thing and not an actual injury problem. Definitely something to monitor.

This is bad news for me as I am banking on people drafting him in the second round this year and letting other much better options fall to me. Come on buddy! I am pulling for ya.

This is bad news for me as I am banking on people drafting him in the second round this year and letting other much better options fall to me. Come on buddy! I am pulling for ya.

You'll get your wish. He's so overhyped at this point that someone will pay way too much for him in your draft.

Guy just had his knee scoped in February this year, and you think the first time the Browns are going to put their 20 million dollar investment on the field is in Detroit on turf?

This is a smoke screen, just a way to keep him healthy and off the turf. Guarantee he plays week 2 of the preseason in Green Bay on the natural grass.

T-Rich was at practice all day today in uniform (no pads), riding a bike. I may not be a medical professional but, if I were worried about his knee I would have sent him for an MRI and X-rays.

Guy just had his knee scoped in February this year, and you think the first time the Browns are going to put their 20 million dollar investment on the field is in Detroit on turf?

This is a smoke screen, just a way to keep him healthy and off the turf. Guarantee he plays week 2 of the preseason in Green Bay on the natural grass.

T-Rich was at practice all day today in uniform (no pads), riding a bike. I may not be a medical professional but, if I were worried about his knee I would have sent him for an MRI and X-rays.

So their worried about him running on field turf huh?

Cincy, Baltimore, Buffalo, NY Giants, Baltimore, Indianapolis are games 2 through 7. That's a ton of field turf in his way.

So their worried about him running on field turf huh?

Cincy, Baltimore, Buffalo, NY Giants, Baltimore, Indianapolis are games 2 through 7. That's a ton of field turf in his way.

In a meaningless preseason game... Yes.

And to top it off, I bet he doesn't play in game 4 of the preseason either. I know this is shocking stuff, but let's act like we have all watched preseason football in the past. But I will just wait for the injury reports, because the NFL teams are never vague, and are always forthcoming about injuries.

In a meaningless preseason game... Yes.

And to top it off, I bet he doesn't play in game 4 of the preseason either. I know this is shocking stuff, but let's act like we have all watched preseason football in the past. But I will just wait for the injury reports, because the NFL teams are never vague, and are always forthcoming about injuries.

So...rookie running back with knee pain playing in only half (at most) of the preseason games is justification for not being concerned. I'd love to see actual cause for concern. Does the guy have to live in Darfur protesting the Sudanese government?

I was just starting to talk myself into Richardson, due to his guaranteed workload. This might be enough to scare me off. Definitely sounds like something that could linger.

Then again just about every back not named Foster, Rice or McCoy has some huge question marks going into this year.

I was just starting to talk myself into Richardson, due to his guaranteed workload. This might be enough to scare me off. Definitely sounds like something that could linger.

Then again just about every back not named Foster, Rice or McCoy has some huge question marks going into this year.

I had Richardson ranked just below Forte, DMC, MJD, and Murray. This essentially remains consistent. I'd take him before Adrian Peterson right NOW. I'd take him after Ahmad Bradshaw currently as well but given the hype and average ADP I'll never have to worry about it.

One thing is for sure. He has to play in the preseason. If I don't see him competing against NFL talent, he's a lock for DND.

Once the team actually runs tests because they believe there is damage, then there is a cause for concern.

But as long as he is at practice and riding a bike, there is no concern. Unless stationary bikes have become the new treatment for ligament and cartilage injuries...

Once the team actually runs tests because they believe there is damage, then there is a cause for concern.

But as long as he is at practice and riding a bike, there is no concern. Unless stationary bikes have become the new treatment for ligament and cartilage injuries...

Richardson to Undergo MRI

I'd call an MRI a test based on concern.

Foot = Mouth

I would guess that even if this is just swelling it could linger well into the season, and if it's something more significant like scar tissue that might need to be removed then the bottom will drop out for this guy.

Dude plays for the Browns.

Nuff said.

Richardson to Undergo MRI

I'd call an MRI a test based on concern.

As I stated above, I would only be concerned once a test (MRI or X-ray) was done... I now have a slight concern, but still believe this is being made out to be a bigger issue then it truly is.

But an MRI is never a good thing...

"Knee soreness" ooohhh... Sounds terrible! Half these guys are sore every night after training camp! He just had a scope on his knee a few months ago... of course he is going to have some soreness... A precautionary MRI is no need for concern here. If he doesn't play in the preseason at all, then start to worry. Otherwise, we are all just grasping at straws!

"Knee soreness" ooohhh... Sounds terrible! Half these guys are sore every night after training camp! He just had a scope on his knee a few months ago... of course he is going to have some soreness... A precautionary MRI is no need for concern here. If he doesn't play in the preseason at all, then start to worry. Otherwise, we are all just grasping at straws!

Grasping at sraws, kind of like drafting a rookie in the second round?

Grasping at sraws, kind of like drafting a rookie in the second round?

Pretty much... He wont be on any of my teams unless he makes it to the late 3rd!

I got caught up in the hype early on, but have fizzled since. Too many strikes against this guy. Horrible team, rookie QB, tough division with tough D's everywhere, and now an injury. I've read much about how he always plays and has never been injured....looks like that's already over.

I'll take him but that's if he slips to me at the end of the 3rd.

Per Roto:

"An MRI on Trent Richardson's left knee revealed nothing serious.

As expected. Richardson had a mere scope in February and hadn't been limited in camp prior to this week. The MRI was "not that big a deal," a source told ESPN Cleveland. A sore Richardson might sit out Friday's preseason opener as a precaution, but there's nothing to be overly concerned with. He's day to day. "

Has bust written all over it. Reminds me of Mark Ingram from last year.

I think he is much better than Ingram. Ingram was overrated coming out of college. I think TRich is the real deal and in a few years will be one of the best in the league. As far as this year goes I think the risk is too great.

I think everyone is getting carried away thinking quantity of touches equals quality output. Its not like he is entering an offense with any weapons or potential to be in scoring position. Now he gets sent for an MRI in camp? I don't think you can even rely on quantity.

I think everyone is getting carried away thinking quantity of touches equals quality output. Its not like he is entering an offense with any weapons or potential to be in scoring position. Now he gets sent for an MRI in camp? I don't think you can even rely on quantity.

PER ROTO:

An MRI on Trent Richardson's left knee revealed nothing serious.

As expected. Richardson had a mere scope in February and hadn't been limited in camp prior to this week. The MRI was "not that big a deal," a source told ESPN Cleveland. A sore Richardson might sit out Friday's preseason opener as a precaution, but there's nothing to be overly concerned with. He's day to day.

Lets slow down the hate/hype train a little.. he's a very talented rookie with a ton of potential. I agree its debatable if he is a first, second or even third rounder in redraft but lets not consider him a injury rick just yet!

PER ROTO:

An MRI on Trent Richardson's left knee revealed nothing serious.

As expected. Richardson had a mere scope in February and hadn't been limited in camp prior to this week. The MRI was "not that big a deal," a source told ESPN Cleveland. A sore Richardson might sit out Friday's preseason opener as a precaution, but there's nothing to be overly concerned with. He's day to day.

Lets slow down the hate/hype train a little.. he's a very talented rookie with a ton of potential. I agree its debatable if he is a first, second or even third rounder in redraft but lets not consider him a injury rick just yet!

There are reports he's going to visit Dr James Andrews...

He's scheduled to visit Dr. James Andrews.

Anyone going to try and spin that as a positive?

He's scheduled to visit Dr. James Andrews.

Anyone going to try and spin that as a positive?

Career already over before it even started.

Dr. Andrews + Swelling + Sore Knee = Not going to be playing very long in the NFL.

With this news do you think Richardson still is the #1 overall pick in a rookie draft?

In a Dynasty with this news Blackmon is the guy who I would take long term. If you already have a good team then Martin might be the best pick to have impact now.

seeing Dr Andy already is not good for TRich -- was looking soo great in camp too

In a Dynasty with this news Blackmon is the guy who I would take long term. If you already have a good team then Martin might be the best pick to have impact now.

seeing Dr Andy already is not good for TRich -- was looking soo great in camp too

Really :doh:

even if Trich straight up died on the field blackmon is at best 4th or 5th rookie off the board in any format

Looks like he might be moving down in rookie drafts.

Was this posted?

Trent Richardson to have surgery

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8248705/sources-cleveland-browns-trent-richardson-knee-surgery-thursday

Cleveland Browns running back Trent Richardson is tentatively scheduled to have arthroscopic surgery Thursday to remove a "hang nail particle" of loose cartilage that is irritating his left knee, but the rookie is expected to return before the regular-season opener, according to sources.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Trent Richardson is "tentatively" expected to undergo another knee scope during his Thursday visit with Dr. James Andrews.

Per Mort, the arthroscopic procedure is "tentatively scheduled," although it sounds pretty inevitable. The surgery will "clean up loose particles of cartilage," and is Richardson's second scope in the past six months. While the procedure sounds minor in nature and surely will be billed as such by the Browns, it confirms that Richardson essentially suffered a setback. We'll have more news on a potential return timeline soon, but Richardson can be expected to miss the entire preseason. His early-season workload is now a major concern. Richardson is no longer a recommended first- or second-round fantasy pick.

Uhh no

Per Adam Shefter - "Trent Richardson is tentatively scheduled to have arthroscopic surgery Thursday to remove a "hang nail particle" of loose cartilage that is irritating the left knee but it is expected to allow him to return before the regular season opener."

I have the number one pick in a rookie draft friday. Was planning on taking Trich. Already have Brees and Newton so no need for a qb. Maybe take martin now. I still find it hard to pass on Richardson.