Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

So which QB comes out of nowhere?

With ryans adp skyrocketing thus pushing up elis value, my wait on a QB plan is different than it was a month ago. I have drafted brees, brady, and stafford in the first round of my leagues so far. If i wait on a qb i am trying to figure out which qb is great value and will have a shot at the top 10.

In years past we have seen guys like derek anderson, matt cassel, romo, rodgers, cutler, shaub, cam, stafford completely out perform their adp. I am trying to explore the later options and figure who this years sleeper will be.

In past years i have been pretty accurate when predicting who it will be. Now that the word is out on ryan it is proving to be more difficult this year. One guy i may targetbus flacco. I thought he may break out 2 years ago but he did not perform very well. He has a big arm on a good offense. With the emergence of smith he may be able to take the next step and creep near the 6th 7th best qb.

I know people throw out names like cutler and ben. I dont see them providing enough fire power to perform like a true stud. The only name that is down on everyones bord that i have a good feeling on is flacco.

Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe the answer is the consensus top 6 this year and no one jumps up. History tells us this will not be the case. Hmmm....

I like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andrew Luck, Jake Locker, and Russell Wilson all as high upside QB2's. Fitz is probably my favorite though.

Out of nowhere would make me think of guys not being talked about much. Guys that don't have much perceived upside right now.

Guys getting no talk, no buzz I can think of are Bradford and Gabbert. Fitzpatrick is another who just doesn't get talked about much and no one has big expectations for. And maybe Locker but even he's been getting some talk since he took over the starting spot from Hass.

Post hype guys can hit big sometimes when it clicks for them. Fantasyland has already moved on from them and are more interested in what's new.

Another vote for Fitzpatrick. I would say Freeman because his weapons are definitely upgraded, but I have no idea what kind of offense they will run. Gailey is definitely putting a FF friendly offense out there each week.

Bradford is another guy. I think he is definitely good enough but the supporting cast is preventing him from really flourishing. I have already drafted him in one league as a backup but prefer not to gamble too much on his season. Guys like Locker, Fitzpatrick, Gabbert, any rookie, I do not see any of them performing well enough to be a QB1. Maybe Luck or RG3 but typically rookies aren't near consistent enough to anchor your QB position unless your team is absolutely stacked everywhere else.

Ok Flacco isn't the most out of nowhere candidates out there but his adp in a 10 team league is 12.05 and he is the 17th ranked QB. If he finished near the top 5 he would be close to being considered out of nowhere. I guess the 3 QB I like the most out of the lower tiers are Flacco, Dalton, Bradford. I don't see Bradford or Dalton getting very close to 30 TD. I can see 25 though. So far reading all of the posts tells me everyone is just about as unsure as I am. Maybe the fantasy gods will send me a message in my dreams tonight. I know some of us are sent prophecies once in a while.

Out of nowhere would make me think of guys not being talked about much. Guys that don't have much perceived upside right now.

Guys getting no talk, no buzz I can think of are Bradford and Gabbert. Fitzpatrick is another who just doesn't get talked about much and no one has big expectations for. And maybe Locker but even he's been getting some talk since he took over the starting spot from Hass.

Post hype guys can hit big sometimes when it clicks for them. Fantasyland has already moved on from them and are more interested in what's new.

good post. i like fitzpatrick and bradford and cutler. the gay butler might go off this year.

Andrew Luck.

Arguably a top10 talent at the QB position before he ever takes an NFL snap (he's THAT pro-ready).

Doesn't have great options, but enough to get by (Wayne, Collie, Fleener, and T.Y. Hilton has looked very impressive).

Dual-threat. People overlook Luck's athleticism because of how good his arm/smarts are. He has comparable measurables to Cam Newton :shocking: .

His defense sucks. The Colts will try and establish a ball-control, run-first offense. But that doesn't work when your defense will give up 30+ points every game. Luck will be forced to throw 500+ times (maybe closer to 600) when Indianapolis constantly falls behind.

Would anyone be completely shocked if Luck threw for 4,000 yards, ran for 400, and accounted for 30 total TD's? That's top 8 numbers. In the 10th round.

Andrew Luck.

Arguably a top10 talent at the QB position before he ever takes an NFL snap (he's THAT pro-ready).

Doesn't have great options, but enough to get by (Wayne, Collie, Fleener, and T.Y. Hilton has looked very impressive).

Dual-threat. People overlook Luck's athleticism because of how good his arm/smarts are. He has comparable measurables to Cam Newton :shocking: .

His defense sucks. The Colts will try and establish a ball-control, run-first offense. But that doesn't work when your defense will give up 30+ points every game. Luck will be forced to throw 500+ times (maybe closer to 600) when Indianapolis constantly falls behind.

Would anyone be completely shocked if Luck threw for 4,000 yards, ran for 400, and accounted for 30 total TD's? That's top 8 numbers. In the 10th round.

If luck had a stud wr core i could maybe see 30 td, but he doesnt. I wouldnt be surprised to see him finish 10 but i dont like the 10th best qb, See Mark Sanchez.

If luck had a stud wr core i could maybe see 30 td, but he doesnt. I wouldnt be surprised to see him finish 10 but i dont like the 10th best qb, See Mark Sanchez.

he's got a terrible defense behind him, the possiblity of little to no running game, and a decent WR core. 40 time ain't everything but Luck finished a half stride slower than Newton and has just as much athleticism. He's Peyton Manning with wheels.I'm still bigger on Cutler and to a lesser extent Flacco than I am any of the other guys mentioned, although Fitzpatrick really interests me because he was so hot early on last year and suffered the rib injury that seemed to really slow him down.

Bradford is another guy. I think he is definitely good enough but the supporting cast is preventing him from really flourishing.

This is going to be the biggest bust QB of the year. EOM

I'll take a stab on any late round QB with rushing ability. Jake Locker, Russel Wilson, Christian Ponder, and Andrew Luck keep finding their way onto my teams this year. Fitzpatrick always seems like a value in drafts, but I usually shoot for more upside than he offers in the late rounds when I'm drafting a backup.

Reggie Wayne/Austin Collie/Coby Fleener/T.Y. Hilton (at least how he's looked so far) is pretty comparable to what Cam Newton dealt with last year, and he put up 35 total TD's.

Obviously Newton shattered expectations, but Luck is supposed to be better than Newton :dunno:

Reggie Wayne/Austin Collie/Coby Fleener/T.Y. Hilton (at least how he's looked so far) is pretty comparable to what Cam Newton dealt with last year, and he put up 35 total TD's.

Obviously Newton shattered expectations, but Luck is supposed to be better than Newton :dunno:

14 rushing td. Luck isnt going to get near that number.

14 rushing td. Luck isnt going to get near that number.

OK, so he should be able to match, if not slightly better, Newton's 21 passing touchdowns. Throw in another 4-6 rushing TD's and you are looking at 30 Touchdowns.

Peyton Manning could come out of nowhere. Felt strange typeing that.

If he's having an abysmal start to the season and your team is 1-3, you can rest assured that while your starting FU threads about him, he'll be in the film room studying his arse off. You know you'll get a 100% effort out of the guy. Full disclosure, I drafted Vick and P Manning back to back at picks 70 and 75 in a 12 teamer hoping one of them pans out.

St Louis is going to come out of nowhere this season so says my gut. It's always some random team in the NFC.

Russel Wilson is the obvious answer. Even if he throws a lot of picks, his numbers on the ground will make him at least a high end QB2.

Just look at what Tebow did last year. Worst NFL QB in the history of history, but he was a pretty damn good fantasy QB!

Russel Wilson is the obvious answer. Even if he throws a lot of picks, his numbers on the ground will make him at least a high end QB2.

Just look at what Tebow did last year. Worst NFL QB in the history of history, but he was a pretty damn good fantasy QB!

This. I took RGIII to back up Ryan in my keeper draft last night but I wish I woulda taken Wilson much later.

I have RGIII and Wilson in a 14-teamer and I'm thinking Wilson is the better play!

I am staying away from Wilson. I should draft him and then trade him away for something more valuable.

I am staying away from Wilson. I should draft him and then trade him away for something more valuable.

Just curious, why you are staying away from Wilson?

The only thing that worries me is Carrol yanking him, if he struggles a bit in the first couple games.

What's not to like? EVERYONE said he would have been a sure-fire 1st rounder except for his height, perhaps top 10. His pre-season was phenomenal. Has ALL the intangibles, except height, but that seems overblown. Sharp, crisp passes; goes through his progressions; runs REALLY well; seems like he has the poise/presence of a savvy veteran.

So, what is it that you don't like about him?

P.S. I just took him in my rookie/FA Dynasty draft, too.

Bradford was my original thought because of the talent he seemed to show as a rookie, but considering his regression last year and the sad state of affairs in STL, I don't think there's much chance of it happening.

A better choice is probably Carson Palmer who's had big seasons before and is in a much better situation.

What's not to like? EVERYONE said he would have been a sure-fire 1st rounder except for his height, perhaps top 10. His pre-season was phenomenal. Has ALL the intangibles, except height, but that seems overblown. Sharp, crisp passes; goes through his progressions; runs REALLY well; seems like he has the poise/presence of a savvy veteran.

So, what is it that you don't like about him?

P.S. I just took him in my rookie/FA Dynasty draft, too.

I think what sticks out the most to me when watching him scramble, is he isn't really that fast, but his vision and awareness are amazing. He just sort of jogs his way around people. Then when throwing the ball, it's not super sharp darts, but more like he's playing egg toss. Soft, perfectly timed passes. His release point is super high. That's why his size doesn't matter.

I like Jake Locker for some reason.

I like him too. He has good weapons, loves to go downfield, and will probably put up 600 yards and 4 or 5 TD's on the ground to boot.

His height is a major disadvantage. He isnt very fast and when defenses key on him i doubt he will be putting up extraordinary rushing stats. His wr core sucks. He is a rookie. The rookie thing i can get over with luck and rg3 but wilsons other deficiencies add to the rookie aspect.

Maybe he proves me wrong but i would rather take flacco dalton or shaub.

I like him too. He has good weapons, loves to go downfield, and will probably put up 600 yards and 4 or 5 TD's on the ground to boot.

Jake locker is going to be a disappointment. He is athletic but his accuracy is soo bad.

I wouldn't go as far to say that RG3 will come out of nowhere like Wilson, people already know his talent level. ...but I think he will finish as a top 7 QB.

I wouldn't go as far to say that RG3 will come out of nowhere like Wilson, people already know his talent level. ...but I think he will finish as a top 7 QB.

I predict RG3 is going to be a complete and total bust in the NFL.

At least one of us will be right. :cheers:

I see you haven't drafted yet. ;)

One of our predictions is looking correct... with Week 1 in the books.

:cheers:

Weeden will be the super sleeper of the year. He's going to end up throwing for over 4000 yards. You just wait and see.

Money in the bank!

:doublethumbsup:

Weeden will be the super sleeper of the year. He's going to end up throwing for over 4000 yards. You just wait and see.

Money in the bank!

:doublethumbsup:

Just traded AP for him. I am selling AP high and buying Weeden low. Perfect strategy. :headbanger: