Sign in to follow this  
Matt Mueller

Mathews Owners: What's your early season game plan?

I took the plunge last night.

Right now I've got D. Will, vs Tampa week 1, and R. Jennings, @ Minn, lined up as my RB 2 and flex.

I've got a waiver in for A. Morris and R. Brown is sitting on waivers...so he could be had as well.

Just wondering what other Mathews owners game plans are for the first couple weeks.

Are there any other sneaky RB plays that could have value early in the season?

Who ya rolling with?

in the 1 league i own Mathews its a 2RB league with a flex. Non ppr so i prefer to go with a RB flex.

im starting Lynch and K.Smith and flexing Reggie Bush

now if Lynch doesn't play im in trouble and will likely have to flex DHB

I took the plunge last night.

Right now I've got D. Will, vs Tampa week 1, and R. Jennings, @ Minn, lined up as my RB 2 and flex.

I've got a waiver in for A. Morris and R. Brown is sitting on waivers...so he could be had as well.

Just wondering what other Mathews owners game plans are for the first couple weeks.

Are there any other sneaky RB plays that could have value early in the season?

Who ya rolling with?

I'm not a Mathews owner but DWill vs Tampa looks real good with Stewart limited. Even if Stewart plays, he might not get many carries.

Batten the hatches!

D Will or Brown (or any CAR/WAS rb) in his place week one. Week two I like MIN/WAS/TEN/DEN rbs. Week three we're in the money again baby!

In my one league with Mathews, we start 2 RB's with no flex. I have Mathews/Lynch/K. Smith/Hillis/Vereen. When I auctioned Mathews I had my eye on Smith at the end of the auction because Smith will be the only back in Detroit for the first 2 weeks. Mathews hopefully is ready by week #3 or I'll have to go with Hillis. Looking at Dwyer on the waiver wire, could be very solid.

I just traded for him in my dynasty league with 2 flex and 2 RB spots...i gave the guy VJackson, Malcolm Floyd and my 1st round rookie pick. He was REALLY nervous about the injury.

I am starting Chris Johnson and M turner at RB and then DWilliams and SSmith at the two flex spots. my goal was to have 4 RBs for these 4 spots and then on byes have 3 of the 4.

We will see. I still have M Leshore on the bench when he gets back from Suspension that i like alot. Also J Maclin i can use on byes.

I hope they keep him out and while and be sure he is healthy and fresh.

Pray that he doesn't ram the stationary bike into the gatoraid table & break his other collarbone?

:dunno:

This didn't seem to be my intention, but I took Matthews in all FOUR leagues!

:blink:

I got him in at 4.8, 3.10, 3.4, and 3.1. I figured, at that point, even having to wait a couple of weeks, I'd have an "extra" #1 pick as far as per game scoring goes. Had he not got hurt, he was a first round. I just have to wait a couple of games.

In the 4.8 league I had the #3 pick and took Rice so I will, obviously use him. I also took Bradshaw and will use him. The question is at the flex: M Bush or Meachem? I was gonna go Stewart, but that didn't pan out.

In the 3.10 league, I had the #10 pick and started with Stafford and Graham. After taking Matthews at 3.10, I got D Martin and R Bush as my #2 and #3 RBs and will go with them.

In the 3.4 league, I had the #4 pick and started with Rodgers and Fitz. After taking Matthews, I got Gore and McGahee as my #2 and #3.

In the 3.1 league, it gets REAL interesting! With the #1 pick, I took Rodgers. In the 2nd, I took MJD! In the 3rd, Matthews. IF I can survive a couple of weeks, that should be three top first round scorers. In the meantime, I got Gore and Greene and will use DWill as a flex.

Now ALL I have to do is hope and pray Matthews doesn't trip on another blade of grass and sprain his mangina....again!!

:nono:

I specifically drafted Kevin Smith for this role.

He can fill in the first couple of weeks (Rams to start with, too), while Mathews gets healthy. Sounds like Mathews is ahead of schedule, so that helps.

I've got Ryan Mathews as one of my keepers in my 10-team flex league. My other RBs are Jamaal Charles (keeper), Trent Richardson, Peyton Hillis, Stevan Ridley, and Jonathan Dwyer. Normally, I'd start Charles and Richardson, but I worry that Richardson might be eased back into things slowly in the first couple weeks because of his own injury. So I might have to start both Charles and Hillis -- which is definitely risky but could pay off big if the Chiefs' offense has a good game, as they look to run the ball alot.

I was hoping that Jennings would be starting up until the point that Mathews came back. If he comes back by Week 3, then I would be happy. I can struggle my way with Reggie Bush and strong QB/WR (Rodgers, Megatron, Harvin) for a little bit. :dunno:

I ended up with Matthews in two leagues.

My auction league I am all set in because I am very deep at RB, at least for week one. (Foster, McFadden, Richardson).

The other league is tougher. My options outside of Matthews are Gore, BJGE, and Rashad Jennings and Turbin. Dwyer is available on WW not sure if he's safer than Jennings. I have Britt and Leshore on my bench that I like a lot after their suspensions are over. With Matthews sitting there hurt it eats up about half of my bench.

Probably going to need the rest of my team to pick me up.

The question is Dwyer or Jennings really. Don't love either at this point.

The question is Dwyer or Jennings really. Don't love either at this point.

Jennings seems guaranteed touches, so I think he is a safer bet.

Denvers run D is way worse than Minn's so I could see Dwyer having a bit more top end upside, if he breaks one.

I'd have Jennings ranked higher for the week..but not confidently.

Is R. Brown an option at all? He's on my WW but I can't say I like him any better than Jennings.

Good matchup with Oak though...anyone rolling with Brown?

I have him in a ridiculous 20-team IDP league, so I'm going with Ingram and Rainey till he gets back. We get return yards, so maybe I'll get lucky and he'll break one.

I took Matthews along with Ray Rice and Fitzgerald in a ppr league 12man

my backups to weather the storm are not bad but definately not good....Ben Green Ellis. The main guy to fill in but at Balt :{

I also have Dwyer at Denver....hmmmm

Kendall Hunter vs Packers

Goodson and Turbin....whatever

Basically should i go with the starter in BenGEllis vs a best run D week 1 or the sneaky play in Dwyer.

tough call. :dunno:

Starting Toby Gerhart. I have zero faith in Ronnie Brown.

Agreed. Ronnie Brown isn't gonna do much. I'm going with Jennings. Drafted the guy in hopes MJD would be a huge bust. Better get at least one start out of him.

Possible we may be without Mathews this week too. Dwill really F'd me last week. I thought I was so smart. :thumbsdown:

Kevin Acee of the Union-Tribune San Diego remains skeptical that Ryan Mathews (clavicle) will play versus the Titans in Week 2.

"I don't think so, though there's been talk that maybe he'll be cleared for contact on Wednesday," said Acee. "I've always said that it would be Atlanta (Week 3), that's what I'm sticking to based on initial (diagnosis), what I've heard, and that there's nothing different." Acee was told by one person Monday that "maybe you could see him this week," but he's still predicting Mathews won't play against Tennessee.

Alfred Morris to the rescue again!

If only I started him. Dwill and Jennings at flex seemed like safer bets. They were...

Lost by 7 :thumbsdown:

He's coming off the :bench: this week though :pointstosky:

Here's my question to the Mathews owners out there. (I don't own him but am wondering). After watching last night's game & the horrible display that was the Chargers running game, what are you realistically thinking Mathews can accomplish in that offense?

The O-line play was atrocious in providing Brown/Brinkley any holes to run through. Obviously Mathews is more talented than those two but what is to be expected when he's back?

Here's my question to the Mathews owners out there. (I don't own him but am wondering). After watching last night's game & the horrible display that was the Chargers running game, what are you realistically thinking Mathews can accomplish in that offense?

The O-line play was atrocious in providing Brown/Brinkley any holes to run through. Obviously Mathews is more talented than those two but what is to be expected when he's back?

IDK. They were talking about this on the ESPN podcast. I didn't see enough of the game to really comment.

Anyone know what happened to their line since last season? They seemed ok then no?

I really wasn't aware of the line issues....

P.S. This might be the last time I pick an injured player. Losing a week or two might not be worth any possible gain.

there were plenty of holes opened, and they ran tons of screens, problem was that Brinkley and Brown have zero burst and zero speed, numerous times I saw a hole I thought would be for a nice gain, and each time they gained a yard. Mathews gets 4+ on most of those carries, and had at least 2 chances to break a long screen where Ronnie Brown got ankle tackled for a 4 yard gain

Very good news.

Wit the late start I am still preparing to be without him but maybe I'll just take a chance and start him over Dwill at flex since DWill's best effort isn't much better than what Mathews gave me from the bench last week. :shocking:

Ryan Mathews practiced in pads on Thursday for the first time since breaking his collarbone on August 9.

He's been cleared for contact. It's the final and most important step in Mathews' recovery, but it's unclear if he has an actual shot of suiting up against the Titans, or if the Chargers are simply trying to get a jump on Week 3. Mathews has been eyeing Week 2, so a return certainly shouldn't be ruled out. We'll know more in the next 24 hours. It's possible Mathews will be listed as questionable on Friday's injury report and a game-time decision for Sunday's 4:25ET game.

Hopefully we know more sooner... Gonna be a lot of 4:25 starts in Mathews future....

Still early...keeps getting better.

According to the Union-Tribune San Diego's Kevin Acee, it "appears" Ryan Mathews (clavicle) will play versus the Titans on Sunday.

"I'm exactly where I want to be" to play Sunday, Mathews said after taking hits in Thursday's limited practice for the first time since Aug. 9. "It's ultimately up to coach Norv's decision." Acee isn't sure if the team even knows yet whether Mathews would be on a pitch count if he does indeed play. Although Mathews has the look of a RB2 fantasy option, owners should check back Friday afternoon for the official injury report.

Looking more and more like we won't know until late Sunday. I'm afraid I'm gonna be starting Dwill, McCluster or D. Moore in his place. (No PPR)

Ryan Mathews - RB - Chargers

Ryan Mathews was "limited" in Chargers practice Friday and is listed as questionable on the Week 2 injury report.

The limited/questionable tag is a dreaded one for fantasy owners because it provides the least amount of clarity. Mathews isn't practicing without restrictions, and reportedly hasn't taken hard-contact hits yet. We're not going to have a good feel for his Week 2 availability until Sunday's inactives are revealed at around 3PM ET. And even then we don't know if his on-field role will be limited against Tennessee. It's a fantasy situation to avoid.

I was worried this would happen and am already starting to regret drafting him over Martin but I knew the risk I was taking at the time and the chance at a Rice/Matthews backfield in a 14 team league seemed too good to pass up.

Really hope he's a clear start in week 3 or it'll officially be :wall:

I was worried this would happen and am already starting to regret drafting him over Martin but I knew the risk I was taking at the time and the chance at a Rice/Matthews backfield in a 14 team league seemed too good to pass up.

Really hope he's a clear start in week 3 or it'll officially be :wall:

same 14 team league. he was there at the end of the 3rd and was too good to pass up. Had murray and only have to start 1 RB/2wr with 2 flex spots so thought I'd be able to roll with the combination of jonathan stewart/danarius moore/austin collie while i waited til week 3. Needless to say, week 1 didn't go according to plan. Was able to grab ogletree off waivers and thought all was right in the world. Now BMarsh basically puts up a goose egg. Djax is gametime decision and Moore/collie still not playing. leshoure still suspended. and already dropped jonathan stewart for ryan williams week 1. :overhead:

I knew my season didnt start until week 3 and was just hoping for atleast a 1-1 start. Not looking too promising.

same 14 team league. he was there at the end of the 3rd and was too good to pass up. Had murray and only have to start 1 RB/2wr with 2 flex spots so thought I'd be able to roll with the combination of jonathan stewart/danarius moore/austin collie while i waited til week 3. Needless to say, week 1 didn't go according to plan. Was able to grab ogletree off waivers and thought all was right in the world. Now BMarsh basically puts up a goose egg. Djax is gametime decision and Moore/collie still not playing. leshoure still suspended. and already dropped jonathan stewart for ryan williams week 1. :overhead:

I knew my season didnt start until week 3 and was just hoping for atleast a 1-1 start. Not looking too promising.

Everything made sense except you dropped Jstew for R. Williams?

I own Mathews in several leagues. In most of them I drafted R. Jennings to start the first few games <_< Fortunately I also drafted Spiller in some of the same leagues. In my main league, I am looking for an RB to buy right now until Mathews returns and I welcome any recommendations. I tried getting Spiller in that league as well, but the owner wants a Ransom. I have an offer of Dwyer for D. Moore, but I am worried now with his foot injury. I can play a WR instead, which is what I am doing now, but I am still looking for a short term RB that won't cost me a fortune.

Nothing to worry about now since he's been clear for contact. The "speculation" timeline of late October is now not in play. I still think week 3 makes the most sense.

Everything made sense except you dropped Jstew for R. Williams?

in that league if you pick someone up that MUST remain on your lineup for 1 game. So I was screwed by adding royster once i heard he was atop the depth chart. then come sunday reports of morris starting. So i couldn't drop royster as i just added him. had to add streater to replace moore. So only options really was to drop JStew (who i likely would never start after week 3 anyway unless Dwill goes down)for someone who was actually going to play just to fill my starting lineup. With Williams getting the start thought that was going to be a good play. <_<

Hey San Diego homers, what's the call on this guy for this week?

Certainly seems highly unlikely that they just throw him in there having not had a single full practice in over a month. Need to know if I can safely deactivate him and use his roster spot for someone else.

I know that some folks are forced to gamble with Mathews this week because of injuries to other players. However, it seems to me that, if you have any other reasonable option, it's probably best to play them this week instead of Mathews. From my perspective, even if Mathews does start/play this week, I want to see him finish a game healthy before he enters my starting lineup. (I'm starting Ridley this week instead of Mathews.) If Mathews plays this week, looks OK, and doesn't get hurt again, then he'll be in my lineup next week.

With the late start it's nearly impossible to count on Mathews unless he's announced a go early tomm..even then who knows the workload but I'd gamble if he's declared a go-we all saw AP and MJD.

I don't expect that to be the case.

I'm gonna have either DWill, D. Moore or K. Hunter as my non PPR flex going tomorrow.

I don't own Mathews, but I just read that he is "questionable." That's bull. It's not like he tweaked a hammy -- either they feel his clavicle is sufficiently healed or they don't, so they are playing games with the injury report.

If I were a betting man I'd bet he doesn't play, and they just listed him as Q to make the opposing defense have to prepare for him. Just a hunch; take it for what it's worth. :dunno: